Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

things that are still waiting to be added to the game which are confirmed...

since beta, we have been waiting patiently for this amazing implementation of the inventory editor.

its been a fair few months and absolutely no word from BI regarding this.

secondly, there were supposed to be British voices to use in the profile speaker selection, If they are used by AI already why aren't they added for us to use? seems like 1/2 jobby.

thirdly, SLI issue with PIP flickering. it works in SOME vehicles so its obviously fixable. I believe this is an issue since first release of 0.50 alpha... just a bit crazy to be fair.

then there's the issue with AI and bridges... still getting stuck and going in single file like a flock of geese.

these are known issues for a very long time now and its getting worrying that they will never be addressed especially the first one (inventory screen "EQUIPMENT")

I honestly doubt that we will see any more feature additions to Arma 3. There will be the new MP mode and a few jets, maybe a few vehicels and weapons as well. The rest will come as DLC.

I hope we get that cringe worthy Geordie voice.

then there's the issue with AI and bridges... still getting stuck and going in single file like a flock of geese.

I havent played in a while but seriously? This is a problem since like OFP. Well, I suppose its not the only one from those days though.

I honestly doubt that we will see any more feature additions to Arma 3. There will be the new MP mode and a few jets, maybe a few vehicels and weapons as well. The rest will come as DLC.

what about that inventory thingy they said they were going to do? im guessing axed?

what about that inventory thingy they said they were going to do? im guessing axed?

Not necessarily, since the campaign is the main focus as of now I don't think we should be expecting features until after the third episode.

fingers crossed ey, this inventory addition would save a lot of time

For this reason, we'll take care in announcing the exact details of our work until we're confident it will see the light of day - and avoid some of the pitfalls of promising too much too soon!

http://www.arma3.com/news/scanning-the-horizon-arma3-in-2014#.UuZ_ZrTJ2ig

\thread

After the "Axed Thread" and many "it was oficial until it was taken out" kind of things, not holding my breath on anything anymore.

Everything about Smurf's post and what he references is reason why you won't be hearing further; it feels like instead of spurring development of the 'axed' features, that thread literally turned the devs against informal communication with the forums members (on the forums) as a general rule.

Everything about Smurf's post and what he references is reason why you won't be hearing further; it feels like instead of spurring development of the 'axed' features, that thread literally turned the devs against informal communication with the forums members (on the forums) as a general rule.

While it's a shame, I really can't blame the devs for it.

Uh, the British voices work if you are playing as a British character. My mod already has this set up, as do some others I believe. It's the same as if you play as an American character, you hear the American voice, an Altian character, you hear the Altian English, as a CSAT character, you hear the Farsi. That's how it works. It's just that the profile only previews the American voice. But the other voices, including the British, still work. It's just that there are fewer British, Farsi, and Altian English voices, only like 4 each. I think with the episode, they added a Scottish voice.

It does state in the link that they would complete the campaign before going back to core development.

Edited by EDcase

Uh, the British voices work if you are playing as a British character. My mod already has this set up, as do some others I believe. It's the same as if you play as an American character, you hear the American voice, an Altian character, you hear the Altian English, as a CSAT character, you hear the Farsi. That's how it works. It's just that the profile only previews the American voice. But the other voices, including the British, still work. It's just that there are fewer British, Farsi, and Altian English voices, only like 4 each. I think with the episode, they added a Scottish voice.

yeah just would be nice to have that option of selecting which one you want :)

It does state in the link that they would complete the campaign before going back to core development.

"Page not found" lul. Guess they changed their mind.

"Page not found" lul. Guess they changed their mind.

get the same error here... yeah they probably have ;)

I'd just be happy with the code improvements, really. Make bulletproof vests work like proper vests, with plates and all. Make the ERA on vehicles work, add Active Protection at some point and make the AI perform better. There is so much headroom left unfilled with the existing content which I'd love to see filled to begin with. Maybe PMC style campaign DLC that doesn't really add tech or content, aside from the missions and artwork would be feasible, but for something like an Arrowhead to occur again, they'd need to get certain things up and running.

Possibly, what's needed is some sort of really concise goal plan? (Which I think they already have internally, but just for the sake of it:

Advanced Armor simulation: ERA, Hitpoint handling (Burning fuel leaks, Ammo cookoffs, Crew kills for example), APS)

Infantry protection simulation: Bodyarmor using RVMats in fire geometry instead of maths, Injury animations (Limping, Arms dragging, Crawling with legs dragging, such things.).

So, Five things in total. Lists should be small. I even think this may be too much, considering how much work the APS alone probably would be. Especially since it was announced as part of the sim back at the first E3. Pretty much all those things involve AI, too, so that complicates things.

since beta, we have been waiting patiently for this amazing implementation of the inventory editor.

its been a fair few months and absolutely no word from BI regarding this.

secondly, there were supposed to be British voices to use in the profile speaker selection, If they are used by AI already why aren't they added for us to use? seems like 1/2 jobby.

thirdly, SLI issue with PIP flickering. it works in SOME vehicles so its obviously fixable. I believe this is an issue since first release of 0.50 alpha... just a bit crazy to be fair.

these are known issues for a very long time now and its getting worrying that they will never be addressed especially the first one (inventory screen "EQUIPMENT")

Such a short list?

The AI is still as moronic as it was in OFP

Not only is the game still extremely lacking in new content such as basic assets, a better squad command system (hasn't changed since OFP days), a loadout/inventory system so that people who don't know scripting, or haven't got the time/inclination to do it have easy access to all the gear/outfits/weapons that they want (I mean come on, even basic arcade games like battlefield have this option), but it has also lost some great features that were in Arma 2, such as the Quick Mission Scenarios creator, the Ambient Combat Module from the editor and furniture in buildings to mention just a few.

As for multi-player, don't get me started :-(

And that's why I get pissed off when I read this kind of patronising rubbish: http://www.arma3.com/news/scanning-the-horizon-arma3-in-2014#.UukqbLRftR9

If it wasn't for the generosity of talented modders who work on fixing the game FOR FREE, I would have totally given up on Arma 3 by now.

The AI is still as moronic as it was in OFP

Nevermind that there's no game ever trying the same, offering AI that even gets close to performing equally well, nevermind better. What exactly are you expecting, magic?

Nevermind that there's no game ever trying the same, offering AI that even gets close to performing equally well, nevermind better. What exactly are you expecting, magic?

Okay, let's try a little experiment shall we. Hands up who thinks the AI is good in Arma ...

Okay, let's try a little experiment shall we. Hands up who thinks the AI is good in Arma ...

That's not the question here. The question here is "who here thinks there are similar games where the AI performs better than in Arma?" There are probably a few, of course, but probably not of Arma's scale.

Speaking as somebody with about zero game development experience, I hope that they take five years after the expansion pack off and just work on reworking the engine(?) until they've stripped out all the junk code(??) and achieved glorious optimization(!).

Edited by OnlyRazor

I tend to agree with you, but you do have to admit, that AI crossing bridges is a pretty basic thing they should be able to figure out, and fix after 13 years don't you think?

Arma 3 is a wonderful game, but the legacy of all the things that didn't quite work in OFP is still there very much. In the OFP time we didn't care much and forgive BIS, and hoped it would be fixed in some future version. Well that hope has long gone for quite some people, and I can't blame them.

Some stuff that has boggles my mind on why it's still there after 13 years:

- AI not being able to navigate bridges or other placed pathways.

- Action menu that let's you eject a plane, or set of a satchel, one scroll movement away from adjusting your flaps, or opening a door.

- Command menu with nested lists that you have learn by head to get the most out of it. (see my sig)

- AI being able to clip trough walls with their rifle and shoot you.

- Discrepancies in view distance, object draw distance and missile locking distance, and the lack of proper concealing at a distance. Result in killing stuff you can't see, seeing stuff you shouldn't see or getting killed by stuff you can't see.

- Lack of tree/fence/wall destruction. I believe in A3 they don't fall towards your tank anymore, but it's still laughable. Why no physX for map objects?

- Lack of proper sounds for destructing trees/walls/houses. It should make a hell of a lot of noise, also at a distance.

- No way of looking at the map and your surroundings in one screen to find out where you are.

- In game chat mixed with mission and commanding text.

- MP specific:

-- Horrors with inventory in briefings (was fixed in A2 mostly, in A3 it completely absent!)

-- The horrible interface for selecting missions, no way to put them in sub-folders. No unified way to select by game type/nr of players

-- No feedback on the mods you're missing when you join a server (the players do, but not you!)

-- Wrong order of lobby/briefing. How are you supposed to select a role, when you don't know what you're up to?

-- Complete lack of native player-placed marker syncing for JIP.

-- No notice of your markers being global or group.

-- No sync of weather and time. Server time can even deviate from client time. (have to check in A3 tho)

-- Horrors with repairing/rearming/refueling with trucks or buildings. It almost never works, and there is no visual feedback where to park to get the magic action in your menu.

That's what I could come up with in some minutes, but sometime's you're so used to the weirdness, that you don't notice it anymore. And some of those things are pretty easy to fix I think (gui stuff, MP syncing etc).

Sometimes you'd think: what If they dedicated only one month to fixing all those little annoyances from OFP. It would make the game so much more enjoyable.

I think it's "good" in a relative sense, no other game I have played that has a AI capable to handle most tasks without heavy scripting.

Furthermore, AI in A3 is certainly better than OFP one, at least they no longer just prone on the street and not shooting...

Edited by Lugiahua

-- Complete lack of native player-placed marker syncing for JIP.

I believe that one was fixed :)

I do agree though with all the points you raised. Arma 3 is a great game that just seems to try its best to not make you like it.