nkey

Task Force Arrowhead Radio

New LEA profile is config.

Could you please send me mission file?

Is always work ok for other slots (not SL)? Other missions?

No Worries, it will have to wait until tonight... although I will debug a bit first, see if I can't sort it...

Otherwise, yeah, all other postitions work except Team Leaders and Squad Leaders (The leader of a group). Although I do note that my one unit group (my mission controller) does have his SR. Maybe because he is an officer or not in a group???

This is the only mission I have made using the new TFR. previous missions not worried about as I wasn't using LEA and SL with LR was normal.

Not sure about what you mean with new LEA profile is config?

Cheers

Azza

No Worries, it will have to wait until tonight... although I will debug a bit first, see if I can't sort it...

Otherwise, yeah, all other postitions work except Team Leaders and Squad Leaders (The leader of a group). Although I do note that my one unit group (my mission controller) does have his SR. Maybe because he is an officer or not in a group???

This is the only mission I have made using the new TFR. previous missions not worried about as I wasn't using LEA and SL with LR was normal.

Not sure about what you mean with new LEA profile is config?

Cheers

Azza

I am about new version of TFAR support in LEA. So, waiting for your mission file to test :)

I am about new version of TFAR support in LEA. So, waiting for your mission file to test :)

Sorry, bit hard to understand what you are saying. That's ok, not complaining.

So I am assuming what you are saying is that you are working on an update for LEA to support TFAR. Sweet. What's the expected timeframe? days/weeks?

Only asking as it could help my mission. e.g. force load all TFR radios to the units as opposed to letting the script do it and potentially lose TFR radios on respawn etc.

Ok, I'll leave you alone to work on that now ;)

Cheers

Azza

I apologise if this is answered somewhere else, but I looked on the TFAR Author website and Armaholic page, but I haven't really seen any explanations.

My question is, what is the purpose/idea behind rifleman radios? As far as I know of TFAR (using it with my community): Personal radios were used for short range communication between fireteam/squad members, LR radios were obvious, and TS was used for direct chat with whispering/normal/yelling. So why the rifleman radios? I understand you can't change frequencies on the radio and they're <2km, so is this to replace direct chat? If so, how does it do that exactly?

Love the mod, great to see the new LR backpack looks too!

Earlier I reported problem with sound effects not working after 0.9. Seems like they don't work when you preview in the editor. As soon as I started the mission via dedicated server, all sound effects worked just fine. Not an issue, really, but I think the sounds worked when testing mission in editor before.

I apologise if this is answered somewhere else, but I looked on the TFAR Author website and Armaholic page, but I haven't really seen any explanations.

My question is, what is the purpose/idea behind rifleman radios? As far as I know of TFAR (using it with my community): Personal radios were used for short range communication between fireteam/squad members, LR radios were obvious, and TS was used for direct chat with whispering/normal/yelling. So why the rifleman radios? I understand you can't change frequencies on the radio and they're <2km, so is this to replace direct chat? If so, how does it do that exactly?

Love the mod, great to see the new LR backpack looks too!

Hi Schmidtdude,

The rifleman radios add a little realism factor. It isn't to replace direct chat, Try yelling over 100m in a fire fight, let alone 10. Todays Armies are moving to the intra-squad comms to improve stealth, command and control. The SW radios are usually held by the Radio Operator or Squad lead to provide the link back to the Platoon CO, which generally will be within 5km, although I think the SW range should be increased to at least 10km so that they are used more than the LR for that purpose. Long Range Radios are used to either talk to aircraft (which due to their speed is hard to keep within 5-10km of a FAC) as well as Platoon CO talking to a higher again HQ element which can be a great distance from the front line action.

Due to the limited range of Radio's with TFR previously, the SW has been used in the intra-squad comms to 'fill the hole' which the Rifleman radios now do.

I hope this explains it and nkey, feel free to correct me. :)

Cheers

Azza

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

Sorry for the Double Post, different topic.

nkey,

I have reports from some of my squad mates that the range of the radios barely meets the ranges you have specified,

Probably 800m Max for altis with the RR. SR barely gets 2km now. LR gets probably 12-15 at the most.

Would this be the terrain coefficient kicking in? Does the coefficient take into account line of sight?

I would hope that LOS in clear conditions would produce ranges that match closely to those specified.

Cheers

Azza

In Arma 2 time, we used to have a command and control communication method that really fit our style of gameplay. It was borrowed from SPECOPS methods in real life and is good for several small teams working under a joint command. I wanted to ask if that can be achieved in the current design of TFAR and if not, propose it for nkey. One can hope :)

We set Teamspeak in a way that each team had a comm network of its own, but everybody, in all teams, were able to hear the command channel. Team leaders where using a separate PTT to speak on the command net (using TS whisper mechanism).

That achieved the following:

1. When leaders are communicating everybody realize that and keep quiet during their conversation, by that avoiding leaders having to shush their subordinates when they want to pay attention to what command/other leaders tell them.

2. Subordinate units are aware of the current situation and the plan without having their leader repeat that for them.

3. If the leader gets killed it's easy to assume command, and since everybody had the same setup the guy who assumes command is immediately able to speak on the command net.

Can we somehow achieve this format in TFAR?

Thanks for the great work so far!

In Arma 2 time, we used to have a command and control communication method that really fit our style of gameplay. It was borrowed from SPECOPS methods in real life and is good for several small teams working under a joint command. I wanted to ask if that can be achieved in the current design of TFAR and if not, propose it for nkey. One can hope :)

We set Teamspeak in a way that each team had a comm network of its own, but everybody, in all teams, were able to hear the command channel. Team leaders where using a separate PTT to speak on the command net (using TS whisper mechanism).

That achieved the following:

1. When leaders are communicating everybody realize that and keep quiet during their conversation, by that avoiding leaders having to shush their subordinates when they want to pay attention to what command/other leaders tell them.

2. Subordinate units are aware of the current situation and the plan without having their leader repeat that for them.

3. If the leader gets killed it's easy to assume command, and since everybody had the same setup the guy who assumes command is immediately able to speak on the command net.

Can we somehow achieve this format in TFAR?

Thanks for the great work so far!

You could with the Multiband feature on the SW, setting the command net on the Alternate Channel, and all members having a SW instead of the Rifleman Radio. Although you would still be limited to <5Km range, unless you could tweak the range of the SW to give greater distance. That way all listen to both in squad and command nets, but won't disturb command net with intra-squad chatter. SL can talk on command net by pressing Y to key the alternate channel. Would that work?

nkey, another feature for your list. Perhaps a Transmit power adjustment for the LR and SW radios? Add to this a Battery (as a magazine much like the laser designators.) that way everyone won't just switch to High Power. Have a limit on the transmit time in seconds for each power setting.

You could with the Multiband feature on the SW, setting the command net on the Alternate Channel, and all members having a SW instead of the Rifleman Radio. Although you would still be limited to <5Km range, unless you could tweak the range of the SW to give greater distance. That way all listen to both in squad and command nets, but won't disturb command net with intra-squad chatter. SL can talk on command net by pressing Y to key the alternate channel. Would that work?

Thanks for the detailed explanation Azza! Can we currently set a server configuration to have everybody with a SW radio instead of a rifleman radio? Also, where can we find explanation on how to set an alternate channel?

You can use a module in the editor and force all to have the SW, as well as disable the auto assigning of the LR. Or use VAS/Custom Ammobox with the SW radios in it, depending on what level of access to the map. I'm sure there are other ways that nkey knows.

To set the Alt Channel, open the Radio interface and select the channel you want as alternate. Then find the button that has the tooltip "Set Alternate" (or something like that.) that channel will change from C# to A# or CH# to CA# depending on the radio. That is now set as the alternate.

nkey, sorry for hijacking the thread. sometimes I can't help myself when someone asks a question...

Thanks for the detailed explanation Azza! Can we currently set a server configuration to have everybody with a SW radio instead of a rifleman radio? Also, where can we find explanation on how to set an alternate channel?

It will be available in the hotfix

Love your work mate, my unit and I use this to communicate and serves us extremely well!

I have one major option that came around with the new update though. I installed the update and changed the userconfig and the plugins for the Teamspeak Client, when I go to reload the plugin the plugin is in red and in the description field it reads

"Plugin failed to load:

Api version is not compatible"

I have no idea whats going on, can anybody help?

Sorry, bit hard to understand what you are saying. That's ok, not complaining.

So I am assuming what you are saying is that you are working on an update for LEA to support TFAR. Sweet. What's the expected timeframe? days/weeks?

Only asking as it could help my mission. e.g. force load all TFR radios to the units as opposed to letting the script do it and potentially lose TFR radios on respawn etc.

Ok, I'll leave you alone to work on that now ;)

Cheers

Azza

I already send import of new TFAR to LEA devs, so it should be updated in the repository soon (it will not help you with your issue).

So, I think I'll solve issue if you send me mission file.

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

nkey,

I have reports from some of my squad mates that the range of the radios barely meets the ranges you have specified,

Would this be the terrain coefficient kicking in? Does the coefficient take into account line of sight?

I would hope that LOS in clear conditions would produce ranges that match closely to those specified.

Cheers

Azza

In case of LOS terrain interference ignored, so probably it is tests with complex terrain. Also, you could try to play with TF_terrain_interception_coefficient (https://github.com/michail-nikolaev/task-force-arma-3-radio/wiki/API:-Variables)

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

What TS version are you running?

Probably you need to upgrade your TS (in hotfix I'll add support for older TS version)

Edited by nkey

I already send import of new TFAR to LEA devs, so it should be updated in the repository soon (it will not help you with your issue).

So, I think I'll solve issue if you send me mission file.

Hi nkey,

I did a bit of testing. With my mission, it will work if I delete the TFAR Force Usage module. Also tried with a clean map and it worked with the module, so I think perhaps my mission is perhaps too laggy? (testing in editor)

How can I send you the file? do you want .pbo or editor files?

Hi nkey,

I did a bit of testing. With my mission, it will work if I delete the TFAR Force Usage module. Also tried with a clean map and it worked with the module, so I think perhaps my mission is perhaps too laggy? (testing in editor)

How can I send you the file? do you want .pbo or editor files?

Hello.

Maybe some kind of dropbox? Better editor files...

Thanks Azza, that might work although the limited range might be a problem.

Maybe instead, the LR radio could act as a relay, transmitting any incoming comms onto a SR freq (i.e. the Alternate) and receiving any transmissions from the grunts on that SR freq and sending them back up via the LR? That way, the squad/fire-team leader would just need to set the SR relay freq on the LR and the grunts set their Alternate SR channel to the same, although hopefully these could be pre-set with a serverside userconfig setting so it wouldn't need to be done manually at the start of every mission.

Then the grunts would always hear the LR comms but would only transmit to command if using the Alternate channel and the LR would still be needed, so it would be important for someone to take it if the previous person gets killed.

Would it be possible to activate the mod for RDS tanks also?

Many thanks for your indispensable mod.

VVVV ah thank you. Perhaps update the frontpage for us dunderheads.

Edited by Flaky

Would it be possible to activate the mod for RDS tanks also?

Many thanks for your indispensable mod.

Have you tested? I think it should have inbuilt radios..

nkey, could you explain the purpose of the Alternate SW channel?

I set my C1 channel to 90.0 and then switched to Alternate and changed the A1 to 91.0.

When I switch back to my main frequency (C1), it broadcasts on 91.0 not 90.0. When still on the C1 frequency, I attempt to broadcast (through the 'T' key) and nothing happens.

I should be able to set different frequencies for my C1 and A1 channels and listen and speak to them independently at the same time.

nkey, could you explain the purpose of the Alternate SW channel?

I set my C1 channel to 90.0 and then switched to Alternate and changed the A1 to 91.0.

When I switch back to my main frequency (C1), it broadcasts on 91.0 not 90.0. When still on the C1 frequency, I attempt to broadcast (through the 'T' key) and nothing happens.

I should be able to set different frequencies for my C1 and A1 channels and listen and speak to them independently at the same time.

The alternate is just to signify that that channel is the alternate. Say you want to listen to both 90 and 91Mhz, what you would do is set CH 1 for 90 and then CH 2 for 91, set channel 2 as the alternate then switch back to CH 1. Now you can listen to both freqs. The Alternate is not an alternate of that channel. it's the same channel just used as alternate. If that makes sense.

More bugs:

With the mod, using T to lock on targets (using AT weapons) or pressing Y/Z to get out of a controlled unit in ZEUS does not work.

What is the script error?

Error in expression <o);
};
_count = -1;
{
if ((_x select 0) == _radio) exitWith
{
_x set [1, (_x sel>
 Error position: <== _radio) exitWith
{
_x set [1, (_x sel>
 Error Generic error in expression
File task_force_radio\functions\fn_ServerInit.sqf, line 60

getting this after respawn (getting no sw radio after reapswn + any other sw radio I pick up after respawn won't work)