nkey

Task Force Arrowhead Radio

I don't know whether this was proposed before, so pardon me if it was.

We're using TFA Radio for a while now on Comrades in Arms, and I really like the additional layer of immersion it adds. Two things, however, bother me.

1. Possibility to ignore qualifier keys.

I use LALT to look around (like most people I guess). If I see something and want to radio that information, I have to release ALT in order to use the radio properly, risking to loose sight of whatever I was looking at. I would love to see a setting in the userconfig file to allow for "Don't care" qualifiers, i.e. something like

class tanget_sw {
   key = 207;
   ctrl = -1;
   shift = -1;
   alt = -1;
};

The '-1' would mean to ignore this qualifier, so that key 207 (I use 'End' since I have programmed my radio keys on mouse buttons) can be used regardless of any other keys, allowing me to look around (or sprint with SHIFT) at the same time as using the radio.

2. Ignoring qualifiers on key up

When I press the radio key to speak, and, while still holding it, come under fire and need to sprint (hence, press SHIFT), as soon as I release the radio key, the radio will continue transmitting. This is because the key-up event that it reads was a SHIFT+<radio key-up> instead of a mere <radio key up>. I think it would be best to always ignore qualifiers on key-up and only check if the key-up even was for the used key.

In any case, thanks for TFA Radio. It's a great addition to the game.

Registered ticket for 0.9.1 (next version is 0.9.0 - 80% ready).

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

https://www.dropbox.com/s/98qsj9jqi9h0tdp/Op_Warthog_Invade_%26_Assault3.Altis.7z Its working on local. TFR was working on and off in last couple months, but recently it stopped working as it should. There was a problem after re-spawn players radios disconnect from TS. Found several workarounds - like reloading plugins in TS or changing channels in TS back and forth... And when we managed to deal with that - this VAS problem appeared...

Could you please check you server RPT logs? Also, could you provide more details about

There was a problem after re-spawn players radios disconnect from TS. Found several workarounds - like reloading plugins in TS or changing channels in TS back and forth...

Registered ticket for 0.9.1 (next version is 0.9.0 - 80% ready).

Great :)

Are there any scripts for getting backpack radio via diary entry or addaction? I tried to do it via diary entry myself, I got the diary setup with executable line but could not get it to add backpack to player.

Any help from someone better at scripting would be hot.

Are there any scripts for getting backpack radio via diary entry or addaction? I tried to do it via diary entry myself, I got the diary setup with executable line but could not get it to add backpack to player.

Any help from someone better at scripting would be hot.

Not sure what are you mean.... Could you please explain?

There are no RPT logs for performance, but I think TFR has nothing to do server side. The Only thing in server is a key... I can send you my local rpts if that will help.

There are no RPT logs for performance, but I think TFR has nothing to do server side. The Only thing in server is a key... I can send you my local rpts if that will help.

Hello.

TFAR has server side - and it related to radios assigment. So, please enabled logs for a while :) ( I have report about random rare server side error after update https://github.com/michail-nikolaev/task-force-arma-3-radio/issues/513)

Not sure what are you mean.... Could you please explain?

OK so what I am looking for is a script that will give the player a backpack radio when called, would like it to be called by either addaction on an object or by executable in a diary entry.

For those times when you just need a radio, in A2 I saw ShackTac used what they call STACRE notes it was a diary entry and it would allow you to click the radio you wanted and then it would be added to inventory.

Since TFR strives to be client side I wasn't sure if just having a box with backpack radios would block people without TFR from mission, I thought having it as addaction or diary entry executable would be a good substitute.

OK so what I am looking for is a script that will give the player a backpack radio when called, would like it to be called by either addaction on an object or by executable in a diary entry.

For those times when you just need a radio, in A2 I saw ShackTac used what they call STACRE notes it was a diary entry and it would allow you to click the radio you wanted and then it would be added to inventory.

Since TFR strives to be client side I wasn't sure if just having a box with backpack radios would block people without TFR from mission, I thought having it as addaction or diary entry executable would be a good substitute.

But can you just use "player addBackpack classname"? The long range radio classes: tf_rt1523g,tf_mr3000,tf_anprc155

Checked game cache - no errors. It doesn't work anyway...

At first I thought its only for 152, but now I checked - same thing for opfor. Have no clue whats causing this at this point.

Edited by nsnipe

Checked game cache - no errors. It doesn't work anyway...

At first I thought its only for 152, but now I checked - same thing for opfor. Have no clue whats causing this at this point.

Tested on local dedi server - everything works. Also, we have conducted few big games with TFAR after update. Regarding cash - I mean check your dedi server installation somehow.

But can you just use "player addBackpack classname"? The long range radio classes: tf_rt1523g,tf_mr3000,tf_anprc155

That is what I tried but it seems I was not doing something right since it did not add backpack, I will try it some more today.

---Edit---

I have managed to get it working with add actions, Last time I was trying with Diary entry. Still can't get the diary entry to work addaction will have to do.

The code I was trying to execute

player createDiaryRecord ["Help", ["Radios", "<execute expression=Functions\common\GetRadio.sqf">Get Radio</execute&gt]]

The two wiki pages I used to try and figure it out.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/createDiaryRecord -- Basic knowledge about Diary entrys

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/createDiaryLink -- Used to get a better idea of how to format

On the Wiki it does use a Function to call the code so I tried to turn my .sqf into a function but I have very little knowledge of how Functions work.

As of right now I'm ok with it being addaction on object but I would much rather it was accessible through map/diary.

Edited by PenguinInATuxedo

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to add "tf_no_auto_long_range_radio = true" anywhere in the server config? We do play some community created missions from time to time and they do tend to rely on backpack loadouts. So in order to be able to play the mission with TFAR enabled but with minimum interference, is there a way to generally disable the distribution of long range radios without having to edit every mission first?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Gundy

@Gundy not currently but it should be in 0.9.0 which is currently in development.

I don't know whether this was proposed before, so pardon me if it was.

We're using TFA Radio for a while now on Comrades in Arms, and I really like the additional layer of immersion it adds. Two things, however, bother me.

1. Possibility to ignore qualifier keys.

I use LALT to look around (like most people I guess). If I see something and want to radio that information, I have to release ALT in order to use the radio properly, risking to loose sight of whatever I was looking at. I would love to see a setting in the userconfig file to allow for "Don't care" qualifiers, i.e. something like

class tanget_sw {
   key = 207;
   ctrl = -1;
   shift = -1;
   alt = -1;
};

The '-1' would mean to ignore this qualifier, so that key 207 (I use 'End' since I have programmed my radio keys on mouse buttons) can be used regardless of any other keys, allowing me to look around (or sprint with SHIFT) at the same time as using the radio.

2. Ignoring qualifiers on key up

When I press the radio key to speak, and, while still holding it, come under fire and need to sprint (hence, press SHIFT), as soon as I release the radio key, the radio will continue transmitting. This is because the key-up event that it reads was a SHIFT+<radio key-up> instead of a mere <radio key up>. I think it would be best to always ignore qualifiers on key-up and only check if the key-up even was for the used key.

In any case, thanks for TFA Radio. It's a great addition to the game.

Just want to add my support for this (I know you have already added this to the list, nkey). Sprinting away from danger and trying to quickly get the word is something that naturally happens. Just had both of the above cases happen to me a couple of times yesterday and it takes a valuable seconds to realize the mistake.

By the way (unrelated), I too would like to see the ability to configure radios in TFAR for half-duplex mode, if possible on a per-radio type basis. For example being able to configure the short range radios to be full-duplex, but the long range radios to only allow for half-duplex (or the other way around). Another example: You could configure the insurgents radios to be half-duplex (i.e. cheaper radios) and have military elements be equipped with full-duplex radios. It might or might not match the real-world capabilities of the implemented radios, but I personally don't care too much about that.

Again, thanks for this great mod!

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 ----------

Just thought of something else. Is it possible to equip helicopters / planes with three long range radios that you can talk to using three different key-combinations? On a recent mission being one of the air assets we have been using the LR-radio to stay in touch with ATC and the SW radio for communication with my wingmen. However, the SW-radio is a bit range-limited for that purpose and I do lack the ability to additionally listen and talk to the relevant JTAC when assigned to a CAS mission. I believe it could be workable to only have two LR-radios (command / ATC and wingmen) and use the SW-radio to communicate with JTAC since you are going to be close by for CAS.

Which brings me to an issue that I have not found a way around yet: Using a HOTAS setup to control aircraft, I do completely lose control as soon as I pop open any of the radio related menus (CTRL+P, ALT+P). In a helicopter that results in an immediate loss in hight as the throttle goes back to the mid-setting while in the menu and mid unfortunately doesn't mean hover (turning on auto-hover doesn't help the throttle either). So the current workaround is to better have all the frequencies programmed to different channel presets before takeoff. Is there a way to keep control over your aircraft while configuring / looking at your radio?

Just want to add my support for this.....

Registered ticket for half-duplex for 0.9.1.

In next version you will able to switch radios via hotkey + use two channels on LR radio simultaniously.

Registered ticket for half-duplex for 0.9.1.

In next version you will able to switch radios via hotkey + use two channels on LR radio simultaniously.

Man, you and your team are just phenomenal. Browsed through the 0.9.0 commits on GitHub and I have to say I am psyched about the upcoming changes!

Currently working quietly on an ATC system for A3...would like to tie this system together with TFAR.

Currently working quietly on an ATC system for A3...would like to tie this system together with TFAR.

Cool. I hope next version API will help you to do that.

Fantastic mod, we love it.

Any way to allow a non-corporeal Zeus to communicate over long range radios? Would be fantastic to simulate a "High Command" passing down detailed orders to a company or squad.

Thank you!

Fantastic mod, we love it.

Any way to allow a non-corporeal Zeus to communicate over long range radios? Would be fantastic to simulate a "High Command" passing down detailed orders to a company or squad.

Thank you!

Not possible now, planned to future.

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Have you solved your issue?

Thanks nkey!

Sorry, I probably added too many different things to my previous post. Any idea on how to get around this issue?

Which brings me to an issue that I have not found a way around yet: Using a HOTAS setup to control aircraft, I do completely lose control as soon as I pop open any of the radio related menus (CTRL+P, ALT+P). In a helicopter that results in an immediate loss in hight as the throttle goes back to the mid-setting while in the menu and mid unfortunately doesn't mean hover (turning on auto-hover doesn't help the throttle either). So the current workaround is to better have all the frequencies programmed to different channel presets before takeoff. Is there a way to keep control over your aircraft while configuring / looking at your radio?

Thanks nkey!

Sorry, I probably added too many different things to my previous post. Any idea on how to get around this issue?

no idea for now :(

Not possible now, planned to future.

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Have you solved your issue?

Unfortunately not. And its a show stopper coz Ops get too hectic w/o radio. And TFAR was only radio we managed to get working until the update. Server installation is good - everything is up to date. For a moment I started thinking its VAS fault, but its not. If someone come up with a fix or workaround I'd appreciate it.