nkey

Task Force Arrowhead Radio

What is the enemy "Radio Station"?

it’s necessary by any means to capture an enemy radio station.

Is this a new building or asset? Or do you mean we just need to find an enemy radio?

I would love to build missions around needing to capture a 'station' (an actual building) to listen in.

please advise.

What is the enemy "Radio Station"?

Is this a new building or asset? Or do you mean we just need to find an enemy radio?

I would love to build missions around needing to capture a 'station' (an actual building) to listen in.

please advise.

Just radio item or backpack.

May I recommend for future updates that the userconfig is placed inside @task_force_radio, like the @BWA3 mod does? It really helps with arma3sync etc.

May I recommend for future updates that the userconfig is placed inside @task_force_radio, like the @BWA3 mod does? It really helps with arma3sync etc.

NO!

That is a bad idea. I store all my addons outside of the Arma 3 folder, in My Files, and this will mess things up. There is no point in having user-configurable data inside the addon.

NO!

That is a bad idea. I store all my addons outside of the Arma 3 folder, in My Files, and this will mess things up. There is no point in having user-configurable data inside the addon.

Why would it mess things up?

Why is there no point having user-configureable data for a specific addon inside the addon?

Why would it mess things up?

Because if you have the mods installed in \My Documents\Arma 3 instead of Arma 3's program directory, the userconfig will no longer be found. And there are good reasons to install your addons outside of the Arma 3 folder, for example, the ability to reinstall the game without having to re-install the addons.

Why is there no point having user-configureable data for a specific addon inside the addon?

Because userconfig is already in the wrong place. It should be in \My Documents as well, not in the Arma 3 program direction since it messes up Windows 7 access rights. Storing user-defined data in the program directory is bad, and luckily most of it can be stored outside of it. But since userconfig cannot be moved, at least keep it in one place

So, I am not sure about structure you want to create... In the most of cases it is enough to use personal radio for inter-squad communications and LR for HQ communications...

But you have several options to go:

1) use different channels for ground and air on LR (use keys to switch channels in fast way)

2) use several short range radios (in future I'll add key to switch active radio in fast way)

3) use two long range radios (one manpack, another in vehicle)

4) each crew member in vehicle may setup his LR radio to different frequency (gunner and driver on ground channel, commander on HQ channel).

5) use personal radio to communicate with LR radio

Could you please describe structure you want to achive in more details?

I"ll add support for subchannel soon, it will make system more flexible.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:24 ----------

Not easy way to do it... You can try to create small addon which will set variables from userconfig on mission start... But some work required here...

I apologize. I didn't make myself clear. Let me clarify.

What I'm mainly wondering is there was any way that you could create more radios that could fit in your uniform. Instead of having a separate backpack as a radio. Using the RT-1523G prevents most users from carrying more gear. The group I run with has a complex structure where fireteams have their own channel for a group of 4, then have their squad channel with 4 fireteams and then finally a command net with air and ground mixed into it.

The problem we run into is a platoon leader in essence needs to talk on 3 different radios. With ACRE we can carry a 343, 152, and 148 without giving up our backpacks and still hear all three simultaneously.

Edited by Hav0k

Hey there

is there a way to mute a player totally?

meaning no voice + no radio?

and if yes then whats the function for it?

thx

X39

Hey there

is there a way to mute a player totally?

meaning no voice + no radio?

and if yes then whats the function for it?

thx

X39

Currently not possible, but planned.

---------- Post added at 21:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Hey guys, would be you adding more Long Range radios? That should be great!

Hm... Just few radios with same functionality? But what is reason for that?

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

What I'm mainly wondering is there was any way that you could create more radios that could fit in your uniform. Instead of having a separate backpack as a radio. Using the RT-1523G prevents most users from carrying more gear. The group I run with has a complex structure where fireteams have their own channel for a group of 4, then have their squad channel with 4 fireteams and then finally a command net with air and ground mixed into it.

The problem we run into is a platoon leader in essence needs to talk on 3 different radios. With ACRE we can carry a 343, 152, and 148 without giving up our backpacks and still hear all three simultaneously.

Hm.... Looks like it will required to create non-backpack long range radios... Maybe it is good idea to allow to put it to the "map" slot....

Currently not possible, but planned.

---------- Post added at 21:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Hm... Just few radios with same functionality? But what is reason for that?

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Hm.... Looks like it will required to create non-backpack long range radios... Maybe it is good idea to allow to put it to the "map" slot....

kk

thanks for the info

could you give me a headsup when that feature is available?

i could need it for my modification XMedSys

Just wanted to elaborate a bit more on what my fellow Task Force 88 member Hav0k is talking about. Something like the

would be pretty cool. Its similar to a AN/PRC 343, in that it allows a small group of people to communicate within a squad sized element. Additionally, we need a way to talk to the platoon HQ element, we currently use your AN/PRC 152 for that and a separate radio that has the ability to cover the same area as the 1536 but fits in your shirt for example. Or I would be happy using the backpack radio, but LEA does not allow you to add items. It also does not allow you to carry enough equipment to operate even if you load it with items after you enter the server. We use XMed as well, so we need a fair amount of space in the backpacks to fit a few medical supplies, grenades, IR grenades, smoke, and various other items. I would personally suggest that that same MTP pack should be about 3/4 capacity with the 1536 inside of it. Its a fairly small radio, even if it has an extra battery and whip antenna attached to it. Just a few friendly suggestions. Great mod, and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Because if you have the mods installed in \My Documents\Arma 3 instead of Arma 3's program directory, the userconfig will no longer be found. And there are good reasons to install your addons outside of the Arma 3 folder, for example, the ability to reinstall the game without having to re-install the addons.

Because userconfig is already in the wrong place. It should be in \My Documents as well, not in the Arma 3 program direction since it messes up Windows 7 access rights. Storing user-defined data in the program directory is bad, and luckily most of it can be stored outside of it. But since userconfig cannot be moved, at least keep it in one place

What cuel says is that placing all the stuff folders inside the @task_force_radio folder makes it self consistent addon, like this => ftp://www.sonsofexiled.fr/ArmA3/a3s-repository/@task_force_radio/

Doing this the automatic TFAR installer witch comes with ArmA3Sync will scan the content of @task_force_radio addon and install everything where it should be (i.e userconfig inside ArmA3 installation directory, TS3 stuff inside TS3 installaton directory).

What cuel says is that placing all the stuff folders inside the @task_force_radio folder makes it self consistent addon, like this => ftp://www.sonsofexiled.fr/ArmA3/a3s-repository/@task_force_radio/

Doing this the automatic TFAR installer witch comes with ArmA3Sync will scan the content of @task_force_radio addon and install everything where it should be (i.e userconfig inside ArmA3 installation directory, TS3 stuff inside TS3 installaton directory).

I don't understand why it has to be inside the addon folder. As I understood it, he wants the userconfig to remain there instead of having it in the Arma 3\userconfig directory, if he meant otherwise, then he didn't make that clear.

Just because it makes easier for distribution. People just have to look into @task_force_radio to find everything. Then they copy paste userconfig folder inside ArmA 3 installation directory and plugins inside TS3 installation directory. Those who use ArmA3Sync will be able to do this automatically. That's all.

Just because it makes easier for distribution. People just have to look into @task_force_radio to find everything. Then they copy paste userconfig folder inside ArmA 3 installation directory and plugins inside TS3 installation directory. Those who use ArmA3Sync will be able to do this automatically. That's all.

Why would Arma3Sync not be able to do this automatically if the userconfig was in the same folder as @task_force_radio?

Don't get me wrong, I would welcome a standardized distribution format, I just don't understand why moving the userconfig one level down in the file hierarchy would make anything easier.

Just wanted to elaborate a bit more on what my fellow Task Force 88 member Hav0k is talking about. Something like the
would be pretty cool. Its similar to a AN/PRC 343, in that it allows a small group of people to communicate within a squad sized element. Additionally, we need a way to talk to the platoon HQ element, we currently use your AN/PRC 152 for that and a separate radio that has the ability to cover the same area as the 1536 but fits in your shirt for example. Or I would be happy using the backpack radio, but LEA does not allow you to add items. It also does not allow you to carry enough equipment to operate even if you load it with items after you enter the server. We use XMed as well, so we need a fair amount of space in the backpacks to fit a few medical supplies, grenades, IR grenades, smoke, and various other items. I would personally suggest that that same MTP pack should be about 3/4 capacity with the 1536 inside of it. Its a fairly small radio, even if it has an extra battery and whip antenna attached to it. Just a few friendly suggestions. Great mod, and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Currently I am thinking about a way to make it. One simple way - add support for sub-channels to personal radios and add more place to mackpacks..

Like one of the previous posters wrote, a 343 radio for group coms would be super. Having a backpack to be able to speak to other groups is just clumsy. Sub channels for a radio is not really good.

Why would Arma3Sync not be able to do this automatically if the userconfig was in the same folder as @task_force_radio?

Don't get me wrong, I would welcome a standardized distribution format, I just don't understand why moving the userconfig one level down in the file hierarchy would make anything easier.

At the moment (I've downloaded with PwS but the position of files within the addon are probably the same whichever way it's downloaded), I have (in my addons location, which happens to be my S:\Games\ArmA 3 folder where the game is installed but could just as easily be anywhere else, including My Documents\):

@task_force_radio

\addons

\keys

\plugin

\userconfig

Now the files in \keys and \userconfig need to be copied to (for me) S:\Games\Arma 3\keys and S:\Games\Arma 3\userconfig and those in \plugin to the TeamSpeak3 folder, which for me is C:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\plugins. If Arma3Sync and maybe PwS can do this automatically if the files/folders are arranged as they are now, then it obviously makes no sense to change it.

I'm not actually sure if \keys or \userconfig can be moved outside of the A3 install folder, to My Documents\ArmA3 for instance. It's easy to re-locate mods, as PwS (and I'm sure other tools) allow us to specify the location where mods are located but maybe if \userconfig is moved to My Documents\ArmA3 then it will be found and used from there automatically?

I'm not actually sure if \keys or \userconfig can be moved outside of the A3 install folder, to My Documents\ArmA3 for instance. It's easy to re-locate mods, as PwS (and I'm sure other tools) allow us to specify the location where mods are located but maybe if \userconfig is moved to My Documents\ArmA3 then it will be found and used from there automatically?

I don't think you can. IIRC I tried it once since I think that userconfig in the Arma 3 folder is a bad idea, but certain things like missions, mpmissions, campaigns and userconfig seem to be required to reside in the game directory.

Concerning the packaging, I think some sort of MANIFEST file for addon distribution would be good, something that specifies what kind of files are contained and where they need to go. Obviously plugins are a bit outside of the scope of this, but having a standardized content installer would be nice since it would make things like PwS or Arma3Sync be able to do this stuff automatically, and not have to rely on a certain packing order.

Does he support the TeamSpeak 3 3.0.13 version?

I'm using 3.0.13.1 here and it works fine.

I don't think you can. IIRC I tried it once since I think that userconfig in the Arma 3 folder is a bad idea, but certain things like missions, mpmissions, campaigns and userconfig seem to be required to reside in the game directory.

Concerning the packaging, I think some sort of MANIFEST file for addon distribution would be good, something that specifies what kind of files are contained and where they need to go. Obviously plugins are a bit outside of the scope of this, but having a standardized content installer would be nice since it would make things like PwS or Arma3Sync be able to do this stuff automatically, and not have to rely on a certain packing order.

Yes, certainly it would be nice to have a standard for addon distribution and it shouldn't even be that hard for it to be able to put things like TS3 plugins in the right place by specifying in the MANIFEST where they should go. I'll suggest it to Sickboy and see if he has any ideas about implementing this in PwS.

Regarding moving stuff out of the A3 install folder, if you really wanted to you could always use Junction Links to achieve that. I've used this program to do that for various things (not ArmA as such) http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

Yes, certainly it would be nice to have a standard for addon distribution and it shouldn't even be that hard for it to be able to put things like TS3 plugins in the right place by specifying in the MANIFEST where they should go. I'll suggest it to Sickboy and see if he has any ideas about implementing this in PwS.

I used to play (and mod) a game called Neverwinter Nights. It came with a standard content packager program. It could create a self-contained archive that would be easily unpacked on the receivers machine and install automatically. Even without sophisticated solutions like PwS, addon installation could be much more improved over what it is right now

Regarding moving stuff out of the A3 install folder, if you really wanted to you could always use Junction Links to achieve that. I've used this program to do that for various things (not ArmA as such) http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

Well, I've become used to it by now :)

And my apologies to nkey for hijacking his thread.