Sign in to follow this  
amx225

Best war RTS game?

World in Conflict!

2nd, Men of War: AS.

If you call these two RTS... Good games anyway and fit the strategy genre.

True, classic RTS (like AoE) are very rare nowadays, next big thig on the radar is the Planetary Annihilation and the F2P C&C.

I'm a big fan of

. It is the spiritual successor to the old game Total Annihilation. I haven't played Supreme Commander 2 though. Wargame, as Tonci mentioned, looks good too but I haven't got around to buying it yet. Additionally I believe that Planetary Annihilation is made by former Supreme Commander developers and/or former Total Annihilation developers.

Depends on the era, and your preferences, if you want something that needs thinking, something that needs reflexes, something that need planification, or something that is simply realistic.

Anyhow, for space, I would say Homeworld, it's simply great, very balanced and fun.

For Modern war, Wargame has an important point, though I have some complains towards it (the winning side gets more reinf points, so it becomes a uphill battle. However if it's pure fun until you get to that point :P), if you played games like World in Conflict or RUSE you will love this.

Total War games are very good, but they sometimes lack in the MP part (shogun 2 mp was very unbalanced, and if you didn't had the DLC's they battles were just painful to play). But I had the most fun with them, I had great times playing Europa Barbarorum online on 4 vs 4 matches using historical rules and stuff, they were really balanced battles and you need skill to win, I think you can still search for the community if you search on inet.

Warhammer is very fun too, I don't play it but i have friends that do and speak all the time about them lol

Also, if you want to have a definitive game and stay with it for a long time, you could consider start playing Go, Chess, or Shogi. I really mean it, if you can get started it's very possible that you will enjoy them for a long time.

Age of Empires 3 had new units,weapons,features,graphics,new technology upgrade to industrial age but its SP campaign was unrelated to history, also there were no campaigns for leaders like Napoleon,Ivan the terrible and civilizations like the Ottomans,the Prussians of that time period.

Edited by Amx225

I'll add that one should be clear about what sort of "real-time strategy" is meant, i.e. does it actually mean "not turn-based" or actually 1:1 (with or without time acceleration)... because otherwise I might try to sneak "Jane's Fleet Command" in! :lol:

I used to play Act of War and High Treason expansion a lot back in 2005 or so but it is a shame it doesn't work on x64 systems. Same guys made RUSE and later Wargame, which is now my favorite RTS.

Also, not really war game but still very good strategy game that I play is Anno 2070.

I'll add that one should be clear about what sort of "real-time strategy" is meant, i.e. does it actually mean "not turn-based" or actually 1:1 (with or without time acceleration)... because otherwise I might try to sneak "Jane's Fleet Command" in! :lol:

Oh good one. I almost forgot about that. I recommend that one too.

Massive fan of WIC played through it and its expansion again recently and still fantastic stuff and also some good mods going for it.

Command & Conquer (1).

Lost faith in the genre when i learned that all MP relies on "who clicks the most in shortest ammount of time" playing C&C:G in LAN.

Sadly the genre didn´t rly evolve since then (apart from EwwwSports).

Command Ops: Battle of the Bulge and its iteration (successor to Airborne Assault Highway to the Reich engine)

have to follow burns on this one, good old C&C and some other's from that age, age of empire, total annihilation, combat mission, so many good old ones(not like today:p)

The Close Combat series was pretty good too. You can try looking for Close Combat: The Longest Day. They're great games. A bit different than classics like Warcraft and Starcraft but excellent none the less.

The RTS I sunk the most time into was Rise of Nations and its expansion. For me it was just a hugely enjoyable game to play!

Well that is a surprise: that Command and Conquer that was in production is now cancelled and the studio behind it is closing.

our feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game.

“Over the next 10 days we will be refunding any and all money spent in the alpha. If you have a question about your refund, please contact help.ea.com.â€

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/29/defeat-ea-cancels-command-conquer-closes-victory/

The Close Combat series was pretty good too. You can try looking for Close Combat: The Longest Day. They're great games. A bit different than classics like Warcraft and Starcraft but excellent none the less.

Excelent game, still play it sometimes.

EA Cancels Command & Conquer

Linky

This is the fourth Command & Conquer game to be cancelled in the past decade. Maybe the series is cursed? EA shut down Westwood Studios, the company behind the iconic real-time strategy series, back in 2003, and many fans would argue that the series has not been the same since.

At least they´re not wasting any consumers time with another shit title, giving them props for that.

Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars had a good singleplayer campaign.

Edited by Amx225

Command&Conquer: Gererals, Warcraft 3, Men Of War, Close Combat III

UUhh Earth 2150 was a good game! Sadly they fucked up the franchise with Earth 2160.

C&C Generals (+Expansion) was the last good C&C if you ask me. Tiberium Sun + Firestorm was awesome too.

The Conflict Zone RTS game had a nice twist where one had to win the information operations/propaganda war as well as do good on the battlefield. The two sides had to fight in an asymmetric conflict, so one could either pursue a decent fight in line with strict ROE or be a conniving bastard using underhand methods.

Regards,

Sander