tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

Civs should actually run away from combat, they shouldn't spawn in combat or nearby, they should hide. :)

In the BHawk down scenario, you have opfor as civilian but actually the idea is not that bad. Spawn civs whose task is to run for cover inside buildings where they hide, disappear and appear no more.

Unless of course you are fighting the locals! Generally agree that civs should be very scared when the shooting starts.

Civs should actually run away from combat, they shouldn't spawn in combat or nearby, they should hide. :)

In the BHawk down scenario, you have opfor as civilian but actually the idea is not that bad. Spawn civs whose task is to run for cover inside buildings where they hide, disappear and appear no more.

If you use TPW MODS and WW AICOVER then this is exactly what will happen.

Thanks tpw for the updates, that's some nice improvements. :)

Have you looked into placing randomly empty parked vehicles in towns? I think they add almost as much "eye candy ambiance" as driving cars with close to zero fps cost (no ai pathfinding).

The heat blur is a neat addition. I wouldn't mind if the effect was stronger - Would it be possible to change the intensity of the heat blur in the userconfig?

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks tpw for the updates, that's some nice improvements. :)

Have you looked into placing randomly empty parked vehicles in towns? I think they add almost as much "eye candy ambiance" as driving cars with close to zero fps cost (no ai pathfinding).

The heat blur is a neat addition. I wouldn't mind if the effect was stronger - Would it be possible to change the intensity of the heat blur in the userconfig?

Actually parked cars can incur quite an FPS cost because of their relatively high poly count (they certainly did in A2). I've put the parked cars in the "too hard basket" for the time being. I can obviously spawn empty cars onto roads, so at least they're not spawning into buildings and exploding like the original BIS A3 civ modules, but getting them to align with the direction of the road segment so that I can then move them over a few metres to be parked on the side of the road is beyond my shit coding skills. EDIT: Maybe not

The heat blur consists of placing an arc of default "refract" particle effects 10m from the player in the direction of his line of vision. If anything I thought people were going to whinge that the effect wasn't subtle enough! I'm not about to change the particle effects parameters, which is a #$%^ing nightmare, but you could try spawning the arc closer to the player if you wanted a stronger effect. It's roughly line 220 of TPW_FOG.sqf

_dist = 10;

For the next release I have actually made the effect only appear when the player is prone, to better simulate the heat haze at ground level. It also saves a bit of CPU.

Edited by tpw

Is it possible to define zones where is no 'module' active? I had a strange problem in my MP-Missions that sometimes triggers be activated without any human player nearby.

I feel that sometimes there's too low civilian traffic in towns, I think there should be more. I have tried to increase the number of cars to spawn around player to about 50 but I think it won't still spawn enough on the town streets. And I think that there should be more driving on countryside roads too. I have set the car spawn radius to 2000 meters but I rarely see any car on countryside roads or I think it's usually when i'm driving fast. I think that maybe you should make traffic density configurable.

Sorry to disappoint, but that's the way it's meant to be! Units react to nearby enemy fire by a) ducking/going prone and b) seeking cover. If you don't like the behaviour then disable EBS, and your units will remain standing and/or exposed when the enemy metal starts flying.

Oh, no , I do understand on the bigger picture of purpose of EBS. I was just wondering on finding a balance. I love TPW on the whole , great work! I was just suggesting at times it seems like one would want an overwhelming return of fire at first before trying to break contact to find cover.

What about shooting while moving to cover?

Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever saw the AI shoot and move at the same time.

Yay!

TPW,

Great work as always.

I've noticed that AI sometimes turn their back to a target once it's suppressed even if the target is not dead and active suppression has stopped only for the AI to get shot in the back by previously suppressed guy.

It does take away from the immersion a bit when AI pumps a bunch of bullets into a spot and then turn sideways completely not concerned whether the target was actually neutralized.

I observed this behavior with and without TPW LOS.

Distance between opposing AI units was about 25-30m.

I think it will be a nice update to TPW_LOS to check for enemy neutralized and keep that tunnel vision until its neutralized unless commanded to flank, fall back, etc.

I am using current version of TPW MODS, WW AI COVER, default settings on userconfigs for both mods.

Branch: Development

Version: 1.03.110747

PS. I understand its on your long term list..I know Altis/Stratis buildings will have furniture one day. Taking the fight inside, using furniture for cover/concealment......I imagine furniture will spawn in buildings only near play. Even if they are not neatly positioned. Are there models out there already for TV, Couches, Beds, etc?

Wait, wasn't TPW LOS made redundant with BIS' latest CQB AI?

Yay!

Wait, wasn't TPW LOS made redundant with BIS' latest CQB AI?

Yay!

Well so I thought. I recall being part of the discussion to have TPW LOS active set to 0. For this test I did set it to one but noticed the behavior. I don't know if AI once the enemy is suppressed can't see each other?

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

On a related note TPW, AI should never turn and face the other direction when his buddy standing/crouching/proned right by him just got shot dead. A "force to scan horizon of where the fire came from that killed his buddy" would be nice integration to TPW LOS also.

On a related note TPW, AI should never turn and face the other direction when his buddy standing/crouching/proned right by him just got shot dead. A "force to scan horizon of where the fire came from that killed his buddy" would be nice integration to TPW LOS also.

That's vanilla built behavior and one of the biggest needs to be addressed for the AI to work -proper orientation.

Hiya - Loving all the work on these!

Question - is anyone finding the grenade launcher accuracy off with EBS enabled? I've been having some odd behaviour with it being very inaccurate and swear I saw AI drop before the round had gone off? I know there's some issue with explosive damage....

Anyway keep it up mate and thanks again

every progectile will be off because when EBS in enabled you are shooting threw and invisible sphere. That invisible sphere IS impacted by the bullet but it goes threw it.. and deflects .. I can clearly hear the impact when i shoot.. and sometimes i can see a small dust cloud where the bullet hit the sphere..

I dont use EBS.. Its FILLED with issues.. Although it is a GREAT IDEA.. the problem is it is completely flawed.. the sphere has to be disabled so that units can take explosion damage. It has to be disabled when your near a heli or it will kill the Main rotor...and then the not so obvious problem that you just discovered, The Empty/invisible sphere, Does affect the tragectory of bullets, out bound and inbound..

Just disable EBS...

every progectile will be off because when EBS in enabled you are shooting threw and invisible sphere. That invisible sphere IS impacted by the bullet but it goes threw it.. and deflects .. I can clearly hear the impact when i shoot.. and sometimes i can see a small dust cloud where the bullet hit the sphere..

I dont use EBS.. Its FILLED with issues.. Although it is a GREAT IDEA.. the problem is it is completely flawed.. the sphere has to be disabled so that units can take explosion damage. It has to be disabled when your near a heli or it will kill the Main rotor...and then the not so obvious problem that you just discovered, The Empty/invisible sphere, Does affect the tragectory of bullets, out bound and inbound..

Just disable EBS...

I really don't think so. Try and use a trajectory script with EBS on.

Yay!

every progectile will be off because when EBS in enabled you are shooting threw and invisible sphere...and sometimes i can see a small dust cloud where the bullet hit the sphere..

Ok this explain why I aslo notice very often some bullet impact dusts in the air next to me when I get prone to avoid ennemy bullets.

Too bad, and I just hope that those impacts do not modify the bullet trajectories for the man who are behind me... :-S

Hmmm. While I freely acknowledge the problems of EBS, and do my best to work around them, radical projectile deflection is not amongst them. The shell has a bisurf with the same properties as air. You have several options if it troubles you:

1 - disable EBS altogether and try your luck with TPWCAS

2 - disable player suppression only, so that you won't take or give fire through a shell

3 - leave EBS as is and deal with it

4 - wait for BIS to implement engine level suppression

If you read the docs you'll see that EBS was only intended as a proof of concept and the user was always encouraged towards TPWCAS.

EDIT: The issue of dust being kicked up when a bullet hits the shell is a new one, there seems to have been changes to impact effects in the latest A3 releases.

EDIT 2: Actually it seems that recent releases have changed rvmat/bisurf handling quite significantly, hence the grenade launcher deflection, dust clouds etc etc. I might be fighting a losing battle with this #$%^ing mod.

Edited by tpw

I'll make a video with a bullet trajectory script on as soon as I get back to my rig.

Yay!

I love what TPW_Fall is doing, but I'm finding the constant doubling of AI units as they fall, then the slight 'teleport' as they hit the ground off putting. Some pages ago it was mentioned that this was due to changes in functions used for multiplayer? Would it be posible to get a single player only version as earlier iterations didn't seem to suffer from the problem? Or is the solution just to overwrite the current version of TPW_Fall with one of those earlier versions?

I love what TPW_Fall is doing, but I'm finding the constant doubling of AI units as they fall, then the slight 'teleport' as they hit the ground off putting. Some pages ago it was mentioned that this was due to changes in functions used for multiplayer? Would it be posible to get a single player only version as earlier iterations didn't seem to suffer from the problem? Or is the solution just to overwrite the current version of TPW_Fall with one of those earlier versions?

Next release will disable the bis_fnc_mp unit swapping stuff if you're SP.

Hello, thanks for this great mod. I like that you add music to houses fights while music is playing is funny (I played in MP), is there chance that you ll add music when player enter car?

^^ Country and Western .... 'My woman done left me, and took my dog and boots too, but I still have my ol' pickup'