tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

tpw, is it possible that the EBS check to force the AI to stand up after they've been suppressed can cause the player to stand up if player suppression is enabled? In a mission I was playing, I was prone and then got suppressed by an enemy. I was able to kill him but had to heal myself. After I healed, my character automatically stood up.

tpw, is it possible that the EBS check to force the AI to stand up after they've been suppressed can cause the player to stand up if player suppression is enabled? In a mission I was playing, I was prone and then got suppressed by an enemy. I was able to kill him but had to heal myself. After I healed, my character automatically stood up.

I am suspecting that this is related to tpw_fall and healing:

When you are injured and knocked down by a bullet and then heal yourself while still being prone you automatically seem to rise when the healing is finished. (This sometimes makes the healing, well, less effective :-) )

TPW MODS v20131004: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20131004.zip

Changes:

[FOG 1.03] Ground heat haze / mirage effect during hot weather.

If BIS can add new visual fx such as god rays, then so can I! I've added a heat shimmer effect from the ground during hot weather (> 25 deg C). It's actually quite subtle and you probably won't really notice it unless you lie down on a road and notice the horizon shimmering - just like real life. I tested how realistic the effect was by lying on the road out the front of my place today when it was hot. The risks I take for you guys...

The only downside is that the shimmer efffect is lost when looking through 3D optics.

I'll look into the rising after healing thing, I think it's due to TPW BLEEDOUT.

Edited by tpw

I tested how realistic the effect was by lying on the road out the front of my place today when it was hot. The risks I take for you guys...

Glad you don't live near a motorway... gj dude.

. I tested how realistic the effect was by lying on the road out the front of my place today when it was hot. The risks I take for you guys...

Waiting for the research report of how you created TPW-Women.

:p

I noticed that with this mod the AI turns off their flashlight as soon as the mission starts. Without TPW it works fine. I think the comment bellow is related

Helloo again,

I noticed that the TPW_fall somehow makes the AI flashlights go off after the start delay. I am using the 1.15 version.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Place a AI unit with following code in init:

this unassignItem "NVGoggles_OPFOR";  
this removeItem "NVGoggles_OPFOR";  
this removeWeapon "Binocular";  
this unassignItem "acc_pointer_IR";  
this removePrimaryWeaponItem "acc_pointer_IR";  
this addPrimaryWeaponItem "acc_flashlight";  
this assignItem "acc_flashlight";  
this enableGunLights "ForceOn";

2. include 0 = [100,500,10,1,30] execvm "tpw_fall.sqf"; in init.sqf and observe. After the 10 seconds the AI will turn off the flashlight.

Can you fix this?

Well..maybe ARMA's A.I. has reached a level deciding on-its-own not to be suicidal leaving flashlights on-while in open battlefield :)

JK i wish a solution can be found for your enjoyment too..

I've noticed you can only control AI up to a point in some cases, but then the "I" will take

over and behave almost as if its "human"... scary.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

TPW MODS v20131004: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20131004.zip

Changes:

[FOG 1.03] Ground heat haze / mirage effect during hot weather.

If BIS can add new visual fx such as god rays, then so can I! I've added a heat shimmer effect from the ground during hot weather (> 25 deg C). It's actually quite subtle and you probably won't really notice it unless you lie down on a road and notice the horizon shimmering - just like real life. I tested how realistic the effect was by lying on the road out the front of my place today when it was hot. The risks I take for you guys...

The only downside is that the shimmer efffect is lost when looking through 3D optics.

I'll look into the rising after healing thing, I think it's due to TPW BLEEDOUT.

Good work, is subtle. This video show similar with a non-comercial sim with CryEngine, minut 1:30.

@tpw

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

I just made a mission with ieds etc. If your mod is activated, no damage is allowed for civilians and the environment. Even for the player. I just stand next to a big ass explosion and I didn't get hurt.

The weird thing is that i can shoot them, but this code doesnt hurt them:

bomb="M_Mo_82mm_AT_LG" createVehicle (getPos IED);

I tried it serveral times, if tpw is deactivated, they all die.

@tpw

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

I just made a mission with ieds etc. If your mod is activated, no damage is allowed for civilians and the environment. Even for the player. I just stand next to a big ass explosion and I didn't get hurt.

The weird thing is that i can shoot them, but this code doesnt hurt them:

bomb="M_Mo_82mm_AT_LG" createVehicle (getPos IED);

I tried it serveral times, if tpw is deactivated, they all die.

Good find. Actually the explosion handling for all explosives has been broken by the latest dev releases. I am working on it as a high priority.

EDIT: Yep, serious problem, might be related to recent engine changes to optimise performance. Basically I can no longer find the nearest object of a particular ammo type. When an explosion hits the suppression shell, the shell registers a range of information about the explosive including its hitvalue and ammo class. By scanning for the nearest object of that class I used to be able to determine the distance to it, and estimate damage based on distance and hitvalue. _explosive = nearestObject [_unit, _ammo] now returns nullobject.

Edited by tpw

Good find. Actually the explosion handling for all explosives has been broken by the latest dev releases. I am working on it as a high priority.

Good to hear. The problem is my clan wants to play my mission tomorrow with these IEDs and your mod :eek:

Do you have any idea how to get a proper explosion working or do all explosvies don't work?

Good to hear. The problem is my clan wants to play my mission tomorrow with these IEDs and your mod :eek:

Do you have any idea how to get a proper explosion working or do all explosvies don't work?

I am currently working on implementing a placeholder random damage system while I search for a complete fix. Basically if any unit is hit by any explosion it will take between 0.25 -1 damage. It's not perfect but it's better than taking no damage.

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 ----------

TPW MODS v20131005: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20131005.zip

Changes:

[FOG 1.04] Removed undefined variable bug.

[EBS 1.13] Implemented randomised explosive damage in lieu of repairs to broken explosive damage calculation.

Hi there guys and Mr. TPW. So, firstly, thanks for this must have addon. EVERY single request I've had (by myself, without posting anything)has been taken care of within a 1-2 updates and that is just awesome. All except one....

In order to save you a long lists of reasons and motivations that I think will be evident enough to such an bright community, I'll rather just jump straight to my requests and we'll take it from there...

I) In order to make traffic spawn more randomly, it should be spawned via two parameters setting the min(eg 25) and max(eg 60) amount of seconds between EACH spawns fro a single vehicle, letting the vehicle spawn somewhere between those times.

II)EDIT:What TIME OF DAY the car is spawned and what TYPE of car.

III)The previous parameters could then arguably be further used to set the amount of cars depending on the time of day, FOR INSTANCE: 10:00pm - 04:00am only civilian PRIVATE VEHICLES(pickup, hatchback, no commercial) and between 04:00am - 10:00pm all types of civilian vehicles(the argument being those are the earliest and latest times commercial vehicles would be operating on a island this size, remember we're NOT trying to depict midtown London here where the commercial vehicles NEVER stop moving....)

I don't know if it's possible to set which KIND of civilian vehicle can be spawned during a certain time of day, or even if it's possible to spawn vehicles DURING a certain time of day only....HOWEVER if you can we can use parameters(E.G.) call 04:00am - 10:00pm time period "OnPeakMIN" and "OnPeakMAX" and for 10:00pm - 04:00am we'll have "OffPeakMIN" and "OffPeakMAX". Then by setting e.g. "OffPeakMIN=300" and "OffPeakMAX=480" and also then "OnPeakMIN=60" and "OnPeakMAX=180". This will result in 1 vehicle being spawned every 5 to 8 minutes (resetting timer upon spawn) between 10pm and 4am, consisting of only non commercial civilian vehicles AND 1 vehicle being spawned every 1 to 3 minutes (resetting timer upon spawn) between 04:00am and 10:00pm, consisting of any civilian vehicle including commercial vehicles.

Currenly I find night missions close to roads VERY frustrating, due to the near constant an rhythmic spawning of vehicles, even when setting the amount to 1, THE MOMENT the vehicle that just higlighted my squad trying to sneak up on the enemy is gone....BOOM here comes ANOTHER one....to predictable. LOL, if I find ONE MORE fuel truck gunning it down some deserted backroad right in between the EPIC firefight going on....boy, they sure do blow up well.......anyway, that's my 2p. Hope it made sense.

If what I've asked for is impossible just say so, but I think the logic would fit.

Edited by Lost_Samurai

Hi Lost, thanks for the kind words and the detailed and thoughtful suggestions.

1 - There is no rhythm to the spawning. If you've set it for 2 cars, then 2 cars will spawn, each on a random road segment. Depending on the random waypoints each car gets, you might never actually see a given car. If a car is deleted for whatever reason, then another one will spawn with 10 sec or so, but the randomness still applies. I appreciate that it's frustrating when they run over your squad or drive straight into a firefight, but there's only so much I can do with the AI. I have though about disabling car spawning when the action hots up, but I don't know how best to define this: number of bullets flying? Number of combatant AI in danger mode? Combat noise?

2,3 - Good ideas, and readily implementable.

Thanks again, you've given me a few nice ideas to work with.

Hi Lost, thanks for the kind words and the detailed and thoughtful suggestions.

1 - There is no rhythm to the spawning. If you've set it for 2 cars, then 2 cars will spawn, each on a random road segment. Depending on the random waypoints each car gets, you might never actually see a given car. If a car is deleted for whatever reason, then another one will spawn with 10 sec or so, but the randomness still applies. I appreciate that it's frustrating when they run over your squad or drive straight into a firefight, but there's only so much I can do with the AI. I have though about disabling car spawning when the action hots up, but I don't know how best to define this: number of bullets flying? Number of combatant AI in danger mode? Combat noise?

2,3 - Good ideas, and readily implementable.

Thanks again, you've given me a few nice ideas to work with.

To be clear, when I say rhythmic, I am referring to the spawning of a new vehicle moments after the previous one completed their waypoints. I was trying to explain the unlikely-hood of traffic being THAT consistent even during nighttime on some god forsaken road somewhere....Also, I actually don't mind the vehicles driving into a firefight, that happens (sadly) in real war zones every day, I was attempting(poorly, mind you) to once again refer to the fact that on the above mentioned god forsaken road, at 02:00 in the morning, one probably wouldn't find some bloke doing 100 kmh in a fuel truck....this was merely in support the "WHAT vehicle gets spawned WHEN" suggestion.

For what it's worth, this is all second language territory for me here...and believe you me, "lost in translation" sometimes doesn't BEGIN to cover it.....:confused:

Cheers, and thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it.

TPW MODS v20131005: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20131005.zip

Changes:

[FOG 1.04] Removed undefined variable bug.

[EBS 1.13] Implemented randomised explosive damage in lieu of repairs to broken explosive damage calculation.

[CARS 1.18] Commercial traffic (vans) during the daytime only. No civilian traffic during combat (requires TPW EBS).

[CIVS 1.18] Reduced civilians during combat (requires TPW EBS).

So at long last I have overhauled the civilians and traffic modules. The main change is that they react to combat. How do I define combat? Basically anything which results in any unit registering a heightened suppression state. So obviously you need EBS running.

What this means in practical terms is that gun fire per se does not cause civilian angst. Gunfire directed at enemies or civilians does upset them. This results in any civilian drivers abandoning their cars and running off, and no new civilians or cars spawning for up to 5 minutes. Don't want traffic driving around you? Commandeer a car and put a few bullets over (or into) the departing driver. Bingo, roads clear for a few minutes. You can do target practice near a town and the civs will ignore you right up until you decide to use one as a target too.

Obviously this implementation is brand new and I will refine it in response to suggestions and feedback.

Might just be me, but does anyone find that sometimes your AI teammates seek cover instead of returning fire more aggressively at the start of a firefight / ambush - In that overwhelming return fire at the start of a engagement can often turn the tide....I'm noticing it seems many times my AI guys look to seek cover before returning enough fire, IMO. Or possibily it is has just been some recent engagements.

Might just be me, but does anyone find that sometimes your AI teammates seek cover instead of returning fire more aggressively at the start of a firefight / ambush - In that overwhelming return fire at the start of a engagement can often turn the tide....I'm noticing it seems many times my AI guys look to seek cover before returning enough fire, IMO. Or possibily it is has just been some recent engagements.

Sorry to disappoint, but that's the way it's meant to be! Units react to nearby enemy fire by a) ducking/going prone and b) seeking cover. If you don't like the behaviour then disable EBS, and your units will remain standing and/or exposed when the enemy metal starts flying.

It's exactly the butt we're splitting in testing AICover and exactly how it should be (WW is struggling to make them go to cover even faster than they are now to the point of breaking formation if possible to make them fight more effectively).

Great decision in handling civ traffic in combat situations. That will also help the CPU a lot. Great patch!

Great decision in handling civ traffic in combat situations. That will also help the CPU a lot. Great patch!

Well, but some missions are much more interesting when civilians are presented in the combat - the same black hawk down-style sceneriors for example. Is it possible to return the spawning of civilians in the combat as an option?

Well, but some missions are much more interesting when civilians are presented in the combat - the same black hawk down-style sceneriors for example. Is it possible to return the spawning of civilians in the combat as an option?

I knew it...

OK, next update.