Sign in to follow this  
RogerDodger

No Women=Disturbing

So, full release has arrived and there are no women in the game. None. Zero. Not military or civilian. This is the future of warfare? As society progresses we have finally, through the long human history of sexism, realized that women have much to offer when it comes to defending their countries. Also, a Mediterranean island is completely devoid of women? How was anyone born and raised there, and more importantly, who stayed there if there were no women? Yet the game completely ignores this (but does give us 'African' and 'Asian' civilians, complete with stereotypical black and slanted eye character models completely unbelievable and bursting at the seams with bigotry).

The outrage over the lack of military content is understandable to me, if not fully shared. It's a game, they did what they could, and they know the community will pick up the slack in areas that are lacking. But to release a game that completely ignores the female sex (that's half the human race right there) is unacceptable and should draw as much outrage. Like it or not, women are a part of this world, and they are especially vulnerable and suffer in war just as much as any man. I doubt BIS has any females on staff not relegated to menial jobs and subject to lower pay, and the last insult was not even including them in the finished product. Just a blanket dismissal of women in the most flippant sense possible.

Check your privilege, BIS.

Dear god, another one of these posts. First off, I support your stance on having women in the game. However, to say that these character models are "stereotypical"? Exactly how does an Asian persons face look. Because these Asians are a decent representation. Same with blacks. And I noticed there wasn't any comment on the way whites look. You just happened to leave them out. Perhaps they look stereotypical too? I guess you're just a bigot from the other side then. This game isn't a democracy. They have no responsibility to you or anyone to make things "equal". We have the opportunity to make suggestions. Not the right to. So don't go throwing out labels at devs. Kind of makes you look like the very thing you claim them to be....

BI has always given us women before so I doubt they'd just axe them totally from this release. Funny how they are held to this standard though

Depends,if we're talking about women civs then indeed I miss them.If I found uses for them in ACO I'm pretty sure I can do it here too when making some missions.

If we're talking about women soldiers I couldn't care less.In war scenarios they're the least of my concerns but if let's say I want to make a town livelier it's friggin' weird with only males around and not a single woman civ.

not sure if srs.

So, full release has arrived and there are no alpacas in the game. None. Zero. Not wild or domesticated. This is the future of warfare? As society progresses we have finally, through the long human history of animalism, realized that alpacas have much to offer when it comes to defending their countries. Also, a Mediterranean island is completely devoid of alpacas? How did anyone make clothing or ponchos, and more importantly, who survived the cold there if there were no alpacas? Yet the game completely ignores this (but does give us 'Rabbits' and 'Snakes' as animals, complete with stereotypical ears and slithering animations completely unbelievable and bursting at the seams with bigotry).

The outrage over the lack of military content is understandable to me, if not fully shared. It's a game, they did what they could, and they know the community will pick up the slack in areas that are lacking. But to release a game that completely ignores the alpaca (that's 1/6th of the biological family Camelidae) is unacceptable and should draw as much outrage. Like it or not, alpacas are a part of this world, and they are especially vulnerable and suffer in war just as much as any man. I doubt BIS has any alpacas on staff not relegated to menial jobs and subject to lower pay, and the last insult was not even including them in the finished product. Just a blanket dismissal of alpacas in the most flippant sense possible.

You know, I'm all for equality between sexes and everyone in general, but this is just ridiculous. There's many better ways to promote equal rights between sexes, and one of those is concentrating your "outrage" on something that actually matters, like the actual oppression of women. Not because you can't play as a female or shoot a female in a videogame that just got released.

You know, I'm all for equality between sexes and everyone in general, but this is just ridiculous. There's many better ways to promote equal rights between sexes, and one of those is concentrating your "outrage" on something that actually matters, like the actual oppression of women. Not because you can't play as a female or shoot a female in a videogame that just got released.

+1 Exactly.

The asians are too asians, and the blacks too blacks... ,

About womans, you know, ok half of the population... but old ppl and kids... Just thing about a civilian casualite, and it's a kid.. =(.

About womans, you know, ok half of the population... but old ppl and kids... Just thing about a civilian casualite, and it's a kid.. =(.

Uhhh, what?

Asians are too Asian, and the blacks too blacks

I laughed hard on this one.

I'm quite disappointed with the lack of women, as is my wife, who has played arma with me for years. Add it to the list of disappointments that is arma 3.

have you thought why some of the buildings are inaccesible? maybe women are held hostage there.

Haha, exactly.

I did not even miss the women. Must be escapism as there are 2 here: my wife and my daughter.

What's worrying is that there's no obvious textures and models in the files. I doubt females have been scrapped wholesale, but their absence in the initial release is disconcerting.

There's a mod that adds females, but it really shouldn't be needed. Hopefully it's in the plans.

I always was under the impression that women will be added offically at some point. Now I'm not so sure anymore. If the first campaign DLC doesn't include them, I doubt they will ever be added.

Seems kinda strange though. They have the animations and some good models from ArmA2. Maybe add some more HD faces but that's it. Not much work required, since BIS doesn't want women to fight anyway.

What's worrying is that there's no obvious textures and models in the files. I doubt females have been scrapped wholesale, but their absence in the initial release is disconcerting.

In language_f.pbo there are a lot of different female names, so at least it was planned for female characters to be included.

In language_f.pbo there are a lot of different female names, so at least it was planned for female characters to be included.

There's also a placeholder female head config.

class WomanHead_A3: Default_A3

{

model = "\A3\Characters_F\Heads\m_white_01.p3d";

(...)

Still, placeholder or partial work done are two different stories.

Some woman animations from ArmA2 still exist in the cfg:

class AidlPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_panic1: AidlPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_1

{

file = "\A3\anims_f\data\Anim\wmn\idl\erc\stp\non\non\AidlPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_panic1.rtm";

speed = 0.137615;

collisionShape = "A3\anims_f\data\Geom\Sdr\Perc_Wnon.p3d";

ConnectTo[] = {"AidlPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_panicS0",0.01};

InterpolateTo[] = {"AmovPercMstpSnonWnonDnon",0.02,"AdthPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_2",0.01};

};

So, full release has arrived and there are no women in the game. None. Zero. Not military or civilian. This is the future of warfare? As society progresses we have finally, through the long human history of sexism, realized that women have much to offer when it comes to defending their countries. Also, a Mediterranean island is completely devoid of women? How was anyone born and raised there, and more importantly, who stayed there if there were no women? Yet the game completely ignores this (but does give us 'African' and 'Asian' civilians, complete with stereotypical black and slanted eye character models completely unbelievable and bursting at the seams with bigotry).

The outrage over the lack of military content is understandable to me, if not fully shared. It's a game, they did what they could, and they know the community will pick up the slack in areas that are lacking. But to release a game that completely ignores the female sex (that's half the human race right there) is unacceptable and should draw as much outrage. Like it or not, women are a part of this world, and they are especially vulnerable and suffer in war just as much as any man. I doubt BIS has any females on staff not relegated to menial jobs and subject to lower pay, and the last insult was not even including them in the finished product. Just a blanket dismissal of women in the most flippant sense possible.

Yeah the Hollywood Propaganda Ministry will have you believe that.

I'll take no women over unplayable female characters of Arma 2. Not only does it not make sense on a gameplay level but so too is it nonsensible on a development level to waste the money, time and other resoruces to create a female model, model to bake, textures including normal, specular, ambient and configure the rvmats.

To the people who have wives, daughters, girlfriends or whatever that might be upset about this, don't waste your time...even if there were female characters, if they were like Arma 2 then they would just be set dressing, able to move but not much else. They wouldn't have been "female soldiers".

Personally if anyone deserves finger pointing it would have to be the community members with their misplaced sense of white knightism (shooting women is wrong), realists ("women don't serve on the front lines in THIS military", disregarding the fact that the armaverse is not our universe) , the assholes who think women should be banned from games, and the most pathetic of arguements (using the idea of undressing a female characters when you can already do so with the male, what is the difference) You can see the pile of fecal matter this encompasses on the tracker here http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=1658

I even tried to find neutral ground by using female civilians as a reference rather than soldiers, simply giving the female unit the CAPABILITY and even that had some bigots barge in. http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=11765

Edited by NodUnit

So if they do add female models in does that mean the males will be carrying around double the equipment load weapons, grenades, ammo, everything?

Edited by Sufeewi

For me, this whole thing is only a sign that, despite what BI claims, ArmA III is still in late Alpha. Placeholders all over the place, no campaign, limited assets... In proper terminology, that's still Alpha stage, Beta being a feature-complete, untested version and Release being a 90% bug free, feature-complete version. That said, ArmA III seems to be using a MMO-style update/expansion system, with patches being used to balance and expand the game "on the fly". Perhaps that's the future of gaming, the old terminology would mean nothing in that case.

I think that those lousy placeholders will soon be replaced with proper models, including females with proper, full support (the new ArmA III loadout system should make that much easier once the models are done) and more diverse, non-stereotypical ethnicities. The current civilians look like something that'd work for a mission designer who needs to set the scripts up, not actual gameplay. I can see why BI prioritized tactical simulation over "feelies" like that, but as a result, AIII is about as atmospheric as the latest VBS. While it's fine for a training tool, in an immersive game like AIII, it needs to be fixed.

Edited by Dragon01

You got it all wrong... They are all in the kitchen making sammiches.

Well, if you walk into a kitchen on Altis, there's no one there. :) Try again, that's not ArmAII with most buildings locked tight for you to imagine people inside.

So if they do add female models in does that mean the males will be carrying around double the equipment load weapons, grenades, ammo, everything?

Your first post and you do so with your head up your ass, trying to be cute..nice.

Edited by NodUnit

You would be surprised how strong are some women. Some of my mates when I was in the army were way more fit than most men, and the others were daughters of some high rank xD

Btw, they just need to add the head for the military version, the vest hides their curves. Though for the civilians would be cool a new body model.

Btw, they just need to add the head for the military version, the vest hides their curves. Though for the civilians would be cool a new body model.

This might have worked in Arma 2 but in Arma 3 with removed uniform the model would look ridiculous.

You can still see a big difference in appearance.

If you claim the opposite, then maybe Arma already has women but nobody realized.

For me, this whole thing is only a sign that, despite what BI claims, ArmA III is still in late Alpha. Placeholders all over the place, no campaign, limited assets... In proper terminology, that's still Alpha stage, Beta being a feature-complete, untested version and Release being a 90% bug free, feature-complete version. That said, ArmA III seems to be using a MMO-style update/expansion system, with patches being used to balance and expand the game "on the fly". Perhaps that's the future of gaming, the old terminology would mean nothing in that case.

I think that those lousy placeholders will soon be replaced with proper models, including females with proper, full support (the new ArmA III loadout system should make that much easier once the models are done) and more diverse, non-stereotypical ethnicities. The current civilians look like something that'd work for a mission designer who needs to set the scripts up, not actual gameplay. I can see why BI prioritized tactical simulation over "feelies" like that, but as a result, AIII is about as atmospheric as the latest VBS. While it's fine for a training tool, in an immersive game like AIII, it needs to be fixed.

There is no balancing patches.