Sign in to follow this  
thesneak

I am a player of BI games from OFP CWC. Heres what I think.

I'll just raise a practical question, what do we do now that we have the full ArmA 3 Release?

This is what happened when I opened ArmA 3 FULL for the first time. I shit you not!

Launches ArmA 3

I'm HAPPY TO SEE THE LOGO

THE RELEASE LOG SAYS ARMA 3 RELEASED

I open the editor, nothing is there but a big island. I place a few units and waypoints on a map, a little magic but nothing special yet. I forgot, I don't professionally script in ArmA 3 I guess I'm the only one here that can't. I'll look at the community uploads, wait I had this stuff in the Beta. Look in the ammo crates for new weapons, wait there isn't anything new here. I'll go join a community of organized players, they don't even know how to shoot half the weapons in the first place. I'll probably just close ArmA 3 and head over to the forums to enjoy a little flaming for my $50-$60 purchase.

Good Game!

At Jakeerod. I love CWR for A2. It Playing Benny war with those maps made a tear of joy come to my eyes. Almost as much as i44 Warfare BE

There really is a reason to be angry DM, if you're not feeling the sadness you're obviously too concentrated on something that ain't there.
DM. I see you have 4 years on me here, therefore it's undeniable that you are in utter denial.

Amazing assumptions there gentlemen. I will be happy in the knowledge of my knowledge. :)

I never asked for new content. OFP Resistance added to OFP CWC. Arma took many Objects, buildings and weapons from OFP, polished up the game a little and fixed the nightmare that was multiplayer.

Strong rose-tinted specs there. A1 multiplayer was a NIGHTMARE, just as bad as OFP's, unless you're talking about the JIP that worked flawlessly every time? (hint: thats sarcasm, JIP was broke as fuck...

I am sure you spent many hours trying to get into a multiplayer OFP only to have it fail at the "mission griefing" or the never green nerds.

Since I only really played with my fellow BAS people, Zeus or the Tizzies I never really had any problems waiting for people to green up. No I spent more time waiting for the mission to end after I'd died.

Arma2 had a great deal of new content, but also brought in all the old favorites, and didn't skimp on the civilian stuff. A2 OA had even more, and good desert contents, and yet still you saw many things from even flashpoint, point being THEY NEVER SUBTRACTED.

And this is EXACTLY my point: 6 years of development all rolled into one game (eventually) and now people have a big ole hissyfit when their ALL NEW (except the Buzzard) content doesn't match or exceed the content of the previous 3 games combined.

Spoiled little brats

Where is my future? This is supposed to be the future. WHERE IS IT? Where are my firkin lasers? where is my adaptive camo?, where is my big dog with a chain gun or hover tank? Mabey a hover tank wouldn't get stuck on so many rocks? Mmm ever think of that? Where is my acoustic gun fire triangulator? Where is my hud helmet or snoot camera. Not even 90s tech. How about my anti missile tracking Gatling on my tank. Where is the future? Where is my stealth that is really stealth?

There WAS future, but all the spoiled little brats in the community complained about it, so it was cut. There you go, your future is gone because of people like you...

There WAS future, but all the spoiled little brats in the community complained about it, so it was cut. There you go, your future is gone because of people like you...

This is the stupidiest post i ever read on these forums.

You are sayin that bis admittedly dumbed down the game because forum users weren't happy about it?

then why the top 10 bugs in the tracker aren't fixed yet? because are there by quite some time now

hmmm really guess why...

I thought the shitstorm was about to be worse. LOL. I remember the shitstorm which hit the fan at ArmA 2 release. I must admit reading the Arma 3 section is really highly entertaining to me I would compare it to the "Dragon Rising thread" level.

@ Jakerod

I was a former mindless fanboy . . . now I'm retired. I didn't buy Arma 3 nor do I intent to buy it in the future. I just stopped supporting BIS. I would never have thought that this day would come . . . but it has.

Well reading intensively the ArmA 3 section I'm informed somehow about what has been done and what not.

I believe that it was a bad move to maintain the original deadline for release.

The lack of content is inexcusable for me, especially after all the former releases.

Yeah I understand that BI had some problems . . . who has not. For being honest I as a customer could care less I got my own problems. So the excuse of having been forced to change plans is just lame and an excuse after all.

X Rebirth has been delayed numerous times so what?

I once loved BIS for their business ethics but this has gone down the drain somehow and yeah the support is still amazing and such.

I don't know how many times I've read . . . yeah luckily the community is going to fix it. Really tiresome.

I do understand as well DM . . . I was a fanboy myself (non pun intended) but in this case the OT has nailed it pretty much.

I don't speak about the game since I never played ArmA 3 I'm talking about business since that has been brought on table a lot of times. Releasing games with less content seems to become standard business which might be good on a short term . . . but is not on a long term.

I could have expected something like this from Codemasters but not from BIS. I'm disappointed and therefore I stop supporting BIS it's as simple as that.

Me getting now more popcorn :cool:

@ thesneak

had a good laugh reading your opening post. You made my day LOL.

Edited by nettrucker

This is the stupidiest post i ever read on these forums.

You are sayin that bis admittedly dumbed down the game because forum users weren't happy about it?

then why the top 10 bugs in the tracker aren't fixed yet? because are there by quite some time now

hmmm really guess why...

One simple example: there was railgun/coilgun tank, people bitched their tits off, there is now no railgun/coilgun tank (it has a normal smooth bore cannon now).

Proof that they "took the future out" because of the plethora of "community" bitching about the "OMG FUTURE SUCKS"

Couldn't agree more with everything said, and not because I'm someone who's been playing Arma games since the first game, but as someone who seen the potential in Arma and bought his first Arma game. This is a huge disappointment, this is not a release, in fact most alphas for other games are more finished than your 'release'. Saying updates will come doesn't justify it unfortunately, this is a release, this is not a beta any more, and why the **** does this game run like total **** as well? lack of content, ignorance when it comes to optimization, this game is a complete joke, I feel sorry towards anyone who paid the full price for this game.

I really, really don't get the complaint about a lack of content. Seriously. Everything in ArmA 3 (with from what I've heard the exception being the plane, that I don't give a shit about) is brand new. BRAND. NEW.

ArmA 1 and 2 had stuff that has been in here since OFP, just basically touched up. DM has it right saying that ArmA2/OA basically has the content of 3 games COMBINED. ArmA 3 is brand new, therefor doesn't use old assets, and thank GOD I'm glad for it! I've been shooting the same weapons, driving the same vehicles and walking through the same buildings since 2001! How on earth can one look forward to doing so for another x amount of years?

ArmA 3 is a damn good game, and I'm enjoying every second of it. Do I miss female civilians, or some other stuff? Sure. Have they ever been a big part of the previous games for me? No. I can do without them. At least for now. All that I actually need to have a fun game is in there right now.

I really, really don't get the complaint about a lack of content. Seriously. Everything in ArmA 3 (with from what I've heard the exception being the plane, that I don't give a shit about) is brand new. BRAND. NEW.

AAF's APC is a direct port of the A2 Striker, with a new turret. #newcontent

Sorry but the OP hit on a lot of issue's, even though it was a bit outlandish how it was presented. All I see in this thread is more attacking the messenger rather than attacking the points he brings up, ala DM's "Butthurt" comment.

ArmA 1 and 2 had stuff that has been in here since OFP, just basically touched up. DM has it right saying that ArmA2/OA basically has the content of 3 games COMBINED. ArmA 3 is brand new, therefor doesn't use old assets, and thank GOD I'm glad for it! I've been shooting the same weapons, driving the same vehicles and walking through the same buildings since 2001! How on earth can one look forward to doing so for another x amount of years?

ArmA 3 is a damn good game, and I'm enjoying every second of it. Do I miss female civilians, or some other stuff? Sure. Have they ever been a big part of the previous games for me? No. I can do without them. At least for now. All that I actually need to have a fun game is in there right now.

Its not the "lack of content" its the " copying of content" thats going on.

It might be brand new, but why do we have the same on each side?

Why are everyone using the same APC weaponry? Why are everyone using the same jets? Why are everyone using the same variant of tanks?

Thats the problem.

One simple example: there was railgun/coilgun tank, people bitched their tits off, there is now no railgun/coilgun tank (it has a normal smooth bore cannon now).

Proof that they "took the future out" because of the plethora of "community" bitching about the "OMG FUTURE SUCKS"

Did they say that that was the reason they took it out? Are we sure it wasn't because they failed to complete it? I don't see why you would make it and then take it out. You might as well put it in the game and not use it in any missions. When the camel was released no one complained that it was too old for the Cold War.

There was one building from OFP:CWC that was present on Chernarus which was one of the barns. There were two additional buildings from OFP:R that appeared on the map twice and only a handful of buildings from A1. I don't mind getting the same vehicles and weapons over and over again as long as I get some new ones too as well as AI and Engine improvements.

Vehicles that were unique to A2OA: BTR-90, T-90, AAV, LAV, UH-1Y, F35, Utility Truck, various civilian vehicles, MV-22, BTR-50, BTR-60, RHIB, probably some I forgot

List of vehicles that could've been added to vehicles from A2OA to give people something new to play with: Too long. Not going to try.

In all honesty, if they would've included the A2 stuff with it it would've been at least more worth the money. With all I have said on the topic so far I'm sure I will still appreciate it. I'm sure I will have fun with it but I think things could've been handled better.

maybe they add the recoil too

As somebody who has been around since the very beginning with ofp, always purchasing multiple copies for my home LAN... As somebody who purchased 6 copies of arma 3 in early beta to outfit my entire network+server, I have just one thing to say to BIS: Enjoy my $300, because that's the last bit of money you'll ever see from me.

Everything TS touched on is correct, and yet we have people sticking up for BIS? Must be trolls, or BIS funded forum plants, because there's no way anybody is that stupid.

First post in years is also my last. I hope BIS can turn this turd around for you guys, but something tells me they won't.

Never more true words spoken, absolute disaster of a release.

Same shitty engine,

Same fps problems that plagued arma 2 and they had plenty of warning.

Boring and barren landscapes and almost 0 immersion.

Why they didnt just create a whole new engine i dont now, awful.

The above reasons may have been countered by lots of content, but theres hardly any.

What have they been doing all this time?

Obviously nt listening to the community.

What a waste.

How can you confuse a Cobra with a Comanche? How???

So much angry in this thread. Do any of you guys have any Idea how much work went into this thing, and how much was scrapped along the way? idk what you guys want, or what you expected. The performance is better than Arma 2 at release day. If you doubt that, find a vanilla Arma 2, install that and try to run it. Good luck.

Not satisfied with the content? IDK, but I do not get how. To me, it is almost too much again, because parts of it are obviously not finished.

I am rather satisfied what we have, compared to how I felt when Arma 2 was released. I was hyped on A2, and the disappointment over it was only compensated by the diversion dragon rising provided. Compared to A2, A3 is almost tight. There's still tons of problems, undeniably, but this wholesale, black and white thinking negativity and butthurt and whining is getting nobody nowhere. BI doesn't have their reputation for no reason, and thinking that they'd be magically able to overcome problems that have plagued their releases ever since the very first just because there is physX in the game is an illusion.

There's more good things to come, I hope, and even though I can't see into the future I would bet than in two months time the larger part of the community will enjoy the game.

Edited by InstaGoat

As somebody who has been around since the very beginning with ofp, always purchasing multiple copies for my home LAN... As somebody who purchased 6 copies of arma 3 in early beta to outfit my entire network+server, I have just one thing to say to BIS: Enjoy my $300, because that's the last bit of money you'll ever see from me.

Everything TS touched on is correct, and yet we have people sticking up for BIS? Must be trolls, or BIS funded forum plants, because there's no way anybody is that stupid.

First post in years is also my last. I hope BIS can turn this turd around for you guys, but something tells me they won't.

He (DM) is a BI employee... as per my last post in this thread.

Same shitty engine,

The above reasons may have been countered by lots of content, but theres hardly any.

What a waste.

I agree, It was very much a anti-climax for me indeed, and i'm sure a LOT of others.

Same shitty engine,

What a waste.

I gladly ignore/power through engine bugs and issues every time! That's real virtuality... It's the lack of/copy-paste content that finally pushed me over the cliff this time. Really a sad effort from one of the only PC developers left...

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

He (DM) is a BI employee... as per my last post in this thread.

I agree, It was very much a anti-climax for me indeed, and i'm sure a LOT of others.

He's a confirmed employee? That's disturbing.

Really hope you have a change of heart in a years time,when ARMA 3 should be up and running.Shame you spent so much money and have been so dissapointed.

While I agree with 90% of what the OP said I still think there's a bright future for A3.Will most likely be the Community to come to the aid of the title I would be very surprised in seeing an ARMA 4 in year's to come.

BI simply don't have the tech,development or cash pile to build on as is clearly evident with A3.

Anyway hope all the people who have lost faith will come back later to enjoy A3.

After over 70 hours of enjoyment so far and another 700+ hours more to come I fully intend to enjoy A3.

Wish nothing but good for BI in the future,maybe they will walk away from PC gaming and chase the console goldmine and wouldn't blame them.

I fear in 5 years time they will be no exclusive PC developers,massive shame.

I don't think the poster knows that the Merkava tank is real and not some stealth tank. He didn't do his research on what actually exists in real life and thinks the Militery would keep the A-10 rather than move to better aircraft.

I gladly ignore/power through engine bugs and issues every time! That's real virtuality... It's the lack of/copy-paste content that finally pushed me over the cliff this time. Really a sad effort from one of the only PC developers left...

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

He's a confirmed employee? That's disturbing.

Huh, what? The only thing that is copy-paste is the turrets. Arma previously was copypaste from game to game, which is much worse! Pretty much -all- vehicles, guns and buildings aside from the A2-OA buildings and a handful of the A2 chernarus buildings were made prior to 2005, and then recycled over and over and over. You want more ancient plastic? Why? If you want tons of content with low or dubious quality, more power to you, but I'd rather have working vehicles even if the turrets look similar.

I've posted a long list of improvements and new additions to the game elsewhere, I`m not going to dig it up again, but if you want to wallow in your "oh this sucks so much" view where everything ever sucks, again, more power to you. You gladly ignore engine bugs? Then it's probably good that you don't have any say in the development process. We've had to deal with rubbish bugs, stupid gameplay design choices, badly built menus (which still are in, annoyingly, ie the action menu), outdated mouse control and movement and unpredictable AI for way too long. I'd have rather thrown out stratis, the jet and half the skins for the civvie vehicles and the boats and invested that effort into making the rest of the vehicles work. Tanks floating above the ground, srsly? That's an OFP era bug (one that -still- isn't fixed in CWC for many vehicles, btw). Bugs carrying over four game generations and 10 years development is sad.

The vehicles can be added sooner or later once the base works. Without a working base, bad reviews, and no influx of new people. And I doubt that the press will give the game a second chance this time, if it had been as buggy as Arma 2 was on release.

How can you confuse a Cobra with a Comanche? How???

So much angry in this thread. Do any of you guys have any Idea how much work went into this thing, and how much was scrapped along the way? idk what you guys want, or what you expected. The performance is better than Arma 2 at release day. If you doubt that, find a vanilla Arma 2, install that and try to run it. Good luck.

Not satisfied with the content? IDK, but I do not get how. To me, it is almost too much again, because parts of it are obviously not finished.

I am rather satisfied what we have, compared to how I felt when Arma 2 was released. I was hyped on A2, and the disappointment over it was only compensated by the diversion dragon rising provided. Compared to A2, A3 is almost tight. There's still tons of problems, undeniably, but this wholesale, black and white thinking negativity and butthurt and whining is getting nobody nowhere. BI doesn't have their reputation for no reason, and thinking that they'd be magically able to overcome problems that have plagued their releases ever since the very first just because there is physX in the game is an illusion.

There's more good things to come, I hope, and even though I can't see into the future I would bet than in two months time the larger part of the community will enjoy the game.

sorry but a lot of unfinished assets! merkava has proper recoil T100 no! is clearly not a bug but unfinished veichles

again the repair specialist uses the first aid animations! is a bug? no! is clearly an unfinished class! (i hope with a simple mocap with driller in hand is more than suffice.....)

all people have to wait the goodwill of BIS for the complete features?