Sign in to follow this  
trpaslik

Altis: Criticism and Suggestions

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but - The AI can run around freely in large buildings like the airport terminal and the hospital lobby. They don't have to walk all the time along a certain path like with all other buildings. The AI will follow you as if they are running around outside, but you can still order them to move to specific points in the building. Why is this? Why can't other buildings be like this?

EDIT: This is awesome because you can have a proper firefight in the airport terminal. The AI advances through the building and takes cover behind the pillars, leans out from them, covers each other, some go outside and try to get you through the windows.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Since there is small grass and really tall grass why can't we have medium size grass and wheat fields?

Wheat fields are great to conceal troops ready for an ambush.

http://www.thewallpapers.org/photo/21922/2-Wheat-Field.jpg

Also making the medium grass / wheat pushable would be very immersive.

Hospital Building and Apartment buildings should have more enterable rooms.

Since Altis is a tropical resort it should also have more beach bungalows and nice hotels with swimming pools

9_Varos_LemniaGaia_Pool_800x532.jpg

Edited by PurePassion
please do not hotlink images over 100kb!

My idea is simple one to implement:

-----Variety of house colors------

Look at big towns from above 100-200 m. Majority of houses look like they are built a couple of months ago and painted the same color:

white walls, red tile, blue doors and windows. Put it simply - they look like 3-4 type of houses copy/pasted 50 times.

roof: tiles need to have gradations of red - dark red , grey-red, light red

walls: make some of them more yellow, some more blue, green.. slightly

windows: brown, cyan, green,...

look:

http://s15.postimg.org/4xbc264rv/mid_Town.jpg

The same for Stratis.

If NordKindchen's mid-range textures system will be implemented, and perfomance problems solved, Altis will be 100% perfect.

Have you seen a Mediterranean town? most of them are just white houses. White paint repels the sun, making the interior of the building being not so hot.

This is a pic of one of the most characteristic places in the Mediterranean, Mykonos:

http://vizedata.com/images/ulkeler/1375105785.jpg (354 kB)

All I see is white houses and blue doors...

According to wiki lemnos has 90 percent red painted tile roofs and this would seem right from my experience of the island.

One or two extra styles would be nice but imo they should just make all the current buildings enterable.

Since Altis is a tropical resort it should also have more beach bungalows and nice hotels with swimming pools

The island's recent history includes economic collapse, civil disorder, rioting, civil war, and it is currently occupied by a NATO peacekeeping force. I don't think its tourism industry is booming at the moment.

Although some swimming pools dotted about would be cool, even if they were drained or filled with dirty rainwater.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Hello,

i wished that especially the bigger new houses (Hospital, Office building etc...) were fully enterable. I can understand if you fear that too much interiors would degrade performance but in the office building at least 2 office rooms that are enterable would be nice. For the hospital you could make an internal staircase up to the roof and on one floor you can actually enter the patient wing with the patient rooms.

I would be so gratefull if that happens :)

Good job on the island itself so far :)

I have two big problems with Altis as it currently stands

1. It's too brown

2. About 4 Kilometers North of this swamp, there are two dry lake beds separated from the ocean by only a few meters at most in some areas. Not only do these two dry lakes feel awkward compared to their surrounding environment, one of them is HUGE. Why are they so big? It feels like a waste of valuable space.

All in all, I'm saddened to say that Altis was underwhelming to me. I really hope you guys address some of these issues, but it more than likely won't happen considering how close it is to release. Thanks for reading my issues with the map.

But Altis is modelled after Limnos.

Limnos is brown. That dry lake is HUGE. There is a swampy area. North west Limnos has forests and high hills. Other parts of Limnos are quite flat.

The tile roofs are mostly red.

The medium sized swampy area on the East side of the island feels completely out of place being right next to a somehow dirt and grass covered sandy beach. Not only does the swamp feels out of place, but it looks nothing like any swamp I've ever seen without the only trees being in the surrounding area and none in the swamp itself. About 4 Kilometers North of this swamp, there are two dry lake beds separated from the ocean by only a few meters at most in some areas. Not only do these two dry lakes feel awkward compared to their surrounding environment, one of them is HUGE. Why are they so big? It feels like a waste of valuable space.

You mean there is something like this in the game?

https://www.google.com/maps?q=Eparchiaki+Odos+Moudrou-Plakas,+Limnos,+Grecia&sll=39.92672899989023,25.382291238334414&sspn=0.10228119652490174,0.24790601015939104&t=h&dg=opt&hnear=Eparchiaki+Odos+Moudrou-Plakas,+Limnos,+Grecia&z=13

Google is not shortening links anymore :(

Please change the Arma 1 sunshades! Their low quality is ruining a otherwise fantastic beach setting and I see no reason why such a easy but very frequently used immersion object can't be created for the game. :)

Mostly love it and pretty much agree with -

More enterable (ooh err) - chapel,office, hospital

Less car wrecks (would rather have additional scripted in like in "combined arms" showcase" on a mission by mission basis)

Port with cranes etc... would be good

At least one decent deluxe villa type building / complex

As mentioned a module that furnishes buildings in an area would be immense!

Little more forest, bamboo etc...

Thanks for this

Imho altis is just perfect... Will take a long time and lots of missions to get to know the map!

Devs should not worry about changing anything but fix fps jumps and performance issues.

Altis look a good map, great level design, but i think it need more "structure"

-Like school, shop, fire/police station, prison, bank,... not only civilian houses.

- We cant enter big church, power plant, hospital, mine building and some other. They are not textured in.

- Windtower are undestroyable and dont make any noise

- House are empty of object ( sure its for a "beta feature" )

It think (and its probably the case) dev have to make some user info about map

http://www.arma2.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=76〈=en

http://www.arma2.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=80〈=en

-Like school, shop, fire/police station, prison, bank,... not only civilian houses.

Yes, agree on that, it would be useful for RPG type of missions.

- We cant enter big church, power plant, hospital, mine building and some other. They are not textured in.

- Windtower are undestroyable and dont make any noise

- House are empty of object ( sure its for a "beta feature" )

these are really good points. i second all of them. but aside from stutter i have no other concerns. other than the load stutter i get awesome fps and it looks great. the settlements feel very natural, almost scary sometimes. to me it feels combined with the latest AI changes that arma 3 has finally arrived and is at a point where things are going to become better and better again (with each patch:p )

It'd be nice if some of those swimming pools would actually be filled with water. :)

Use more explosives. ;)

To destroy them ou to make noise? :hehe:

Altis is splendid! But I wish there were sounds. I don't think I've heard a single sound from the actual game world. Not from windmills, doors, gates, transformer stations etc. I actually think that transformers in Arma 1 had a buzzing noise.

At least one decent deluxe villa type building / complex

-Like school, shop, fire/police station, prison, bank,... not only civilian house

These I would like to have too. Not much else is needed.

To destroy them ou to make noise?

:D :D

A few people seem to think that I don't know that Altis is based off Lemnos and think I don't know that my changes would make the island less true to life. I do know that it is based off Lemnos island in the Mediterranean and that it does have a swamp and two dry lakes, but that doesn't mean that the two dry lakes aren't completely useless as terrain features for the game. The island is no longer named Lemnos for reasons that are somewhat obvious, it would've been nice to see them take some creative freedom with their newly named map instead of sticking true to life. On top of this, some pictures I looked up of the swamp on Lemnos seem pretty different from the one in game. It would've been nice to see them remove the useless features or ugly features and use their own creativity to redesign the island to utilize their canvas to their full potential. I feel almost robbed of the 270 sq km by that dry lake eyesore. It's just there with little to no purpose.

As a gamer I think Altis is overall a great with the detail in the cites, some nice hills, performance is good. but as a mission maker I always think that large forests are the best, example Chernarus, Porgagorsk, Celle 2 theses are forest/woodland Islands in arma 2 and I believe that forests are great because it makes interesting firefights, they block the view so you cant see to far, or even better blocks the view of the AI so that they cant engage from ridicules ranges. but on Altis there is almost no forests only open field however they are covered with few trees, and rocks that make it look natural. sure it is based off a real island but still, good map but needs more forests

It would've been nice to see them remove the useless features or ugly features and use their own creativity to redesign the island to utilize their canvas to their full potential. I feel almost robbed of the 270 sq km by that dry lake eyesore. It's just there with little to no purpose.

Learn to love it. It's actually quite impressive.

And Altis being based on an actual place in the Earth, makes that something special. Using creative freedom with such an essential feature of that place, would make Altis less ..."believable".

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

As a gamer I think Altis is overall a great with the detail in the cites, some nice hills, performance is good. but as a mission maker I always think that large forests are the best, example Chernarus, Porgagorsk, Celle 2 .... good map but needs more forests

I'm sure there are skillful modmakers who will bring new maps with a lot of forests to Arma 3.

Lets keep Altis as close to "the real island" as possible.

only thing i deslike about altis, satmap textures. Some do look actually fine, but especialy the greenish ones, are just ugly, looks like arma alpha version to me. The detail textures are as good as always, but just about 100 meters away, you can see that ugly satmap texture. Feels like some aircraft simulator. which don't require much detail to the ground, but just a sat map texture over it. But at far distance, it looks good. BIS have to improve it ASAP, ruins the impression.

Learn to love it. It's actually quite impressive.

And Altis being based on an actual place in the Earth, makes that something special. Using creative freedom with such an essential feature of that place, would make Altis less ..."believable".

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

I'm sure there are skillful modmakers who will bring new maps with a lot of forests to Arma 3.

Lets keep Altis as close to "the real island" as possible.

Those salt lakes are an awesome terrain! Just have to know how to use it! I love the salt lakes though I wish they would fill up in the winter months as in real life. Also I prefer fighting on real life terrain because it's REAL!