Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS2.0 WIP Thread

What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?

• Stereo (or Headphones)
    • 5.1 Audio System
    • Stereo due to TeamSpeak/ACRE

I dont hear explosions of arty shells etc.

is this a already known bug?

What "arty shells" exactly are you mean?.

Mobile Artillery's rounds are working for sure (NATO/OPFOR tested everyday)

but..

i can't tell about "mortar" rounds. Haven't tested yet..

I know its hard to believe to most of you but I'll promise that most of your problems and issues will be fixed.

For once in a time I'm around this community providing my mod and help to most modders, I want this Project to be perfect right away. No patching or what ever for months. It needs to be done from the first release...

Right now I'm in a really bad position currently and have zero time to continue this project the way I and you would like me to.

Sry guys...

LJ

Take your time LJH. RL is more important.

For sure!!!

btw aiming for perfection it's always a good thing,but there is often space for improvements,so no worry if your work may need some patches,we, the users, would appreciate time and dedication you're putting into this

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it seems like bullets hitting near the player are many times louder than they should be. Loud enough that I can't hear the direction of gunshots like 100m away...either that, or distant shot sounds aren't working for me at all.

Great mod BTW, must-use 100% of the time for me in ArmA 2.

i love that noise it scares the hell out of me that's what its supposed to do...

I'm pretty sure that the sonic cracks are way louder to the person that's being shot at than the actual gunshot sound, so JSRS is actually realistic in that regard.

Edited by Enzo_0

I'm pretty sure that the sonic cracks are way louder to the person that's being shot at than the actual gunshot sound, so JSRS is actually realistic in that regard.

But...the sonic crack shouldn't sound like it's coming from right next to your head when you are being engaged from 300m away, right? I mean, it completely masks the sound/direction of the gunshot...

I guess the cracks are okay, and they do sound intimidating for suppression purposes, but I feel like you should be able to hear the gunshot itself better. I've been engaged from 100m or less and couldn't actually hear the gunshot.

But...the sonic crack shouldn't sound like it's coming from right next to your head when you are being engaged from 300m away, right? I mean, it completely masks the sound/direction of the gunshot...

I guess the cracks are okay, and they do sound intimidating for suppression purposes, but I feel like you should be able to hear the gunshot itself better. I've been engaged from 100m or less and couldn't actually hear the gunshot.

Honestly, that makes sense to me. Granted, at 300m, you'd likely hear the muzzle report after the sonic crack. But if they were firing full auto, the sonic crack is going to be much louder than the gun. And under 100m, the sonic crack and muzzle report are likely to bleed together, making situational awareness more difficult.

The distance doesn't matter, it's really loud anyway because it's breaking the sound barrier when it's passing you (or hitting you). First thing you hear is the really loud sonic crack, then the weapon report.

Just like here:

That lound sound? That's not the gunshot, that's the sonic crack. The echo that follows is the echo of the gunshot.

That video is interesting...you can still hear the shot report pretty well after the sonic crack, though. Problem right now is I can barely hear the gunshot at all. I can see that being the case for a silenced weapon, but right now it's practically impossible to discern where the shot is coming from.

I always use JSRS in ArmA 2 and it doesn't seem to suffer from this issue there.

I mean, JSRS for ArmA 3 is in alpha, so that's fine, I'm just trying to confirm whether it's unfinished or I'm going crazy in this particular case. :p

I don´t want to play off the one soundmod against the other but with bigpickles sadly canceled first version of gun-shot sounds in mono the 3d-locating is significantly better (specially at short range) than stock/default sounds and JSRS soundmod. I think its the engine the stereo samples destroys the locating.

hardware: x-fi with cmss2 and headphones.

I don´t want to play off the one soundmod against the other but with bigpickles sadly canceled first version of gun-shot sounds in mono the 3d-locating is significantly better (specially at short range) than stock/default sounds and JSRS soundmod. I think its the engine the stereo samples destroys the locating.

I m afraid you are right.

That video is interesting...you can still hear the shot report pretty well after the sonic crack, though. Problem right now is I can barely hear the gunshot at all. I can see that being the case for a silenced weapon, but right now it's practically impossible to discern where the shot is coming from.

I always use JSRS in ArmA 2 and it doesn't seem to suffer from this issue there.

I mean, JSRS for ArmA 3 is in alpha, so that's fine, I'm just trying to confirm whether it's unfinished or I'm going crazy in this particular case. :p

Perhaps you can upload a mission in which you get this issue, then I can make a video and see if it's the same as what you get.

T

It isn't finished yet, as there is no official release thread, it is still currently been tested by the team.

Do you have a link to that? I keep hearing that the first version of Speed of Sound was much better, but I only tried the two newer versions (which I don't really like).

It isn't finished yet, as there is no official release thread, it is still currently been tested by the team.

...Precisely what I said. :p I just wanted to confirm whether or not it was my setup doing this or if it was a common issue. I didn't want to call it out as a problem if it was on my end.

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Perhaps you can upload a mission in which you get this issue, then I can make a video and see if it's the same as what you get.

Honestly, all I did was put some enemies about 200-300 meters away from me in the Editor and then opened fire on them, then tried to pinpoint the shots. Even if I know where they are, I still can't tell based on the gunfire.

Do you have a link to that? I keep hearing that the first version of Speed of Sound was much better, but I only tried the two newer versions (which I don't really like).

This is the thread for our Studio's project, please keep on track. If you want a link for someone elses project, you can easily request it in said thread or via PM. Thanks. :)

Secondly, the positional issues I need to discuss with LJ when he's actually around and able to discuss said topic. Some of us have been testing the Dev version of the latest JSRS on the JSRS server and have noted some issues. This is probably on the top of my list. Especially with the inside building sounds, its extremely difficult to pinpoint a general direction as right now you're engulfed in the stereo sounds and really can't tell very well at all where you're getting shot from many times. In some respects, it adds to the stress in a firefight--especially in an urban environment--but playability is a bit stifled which ruins it. So yes, even we are aware of it and will tackle it eventually.

Great, thanks for the confirmation. Also, sorry, didn't mean to try to derail with the Speed of Sound comment, will take to PM.

Yeah no probs. Trust me, I get equally frustrated playing against the AI who are quite aggressive, but are also sounding as if they are all around me every time a firefight kicks off. Talk about making you feel paranoid, haha. So I'm hoping to get LJ to look into and tackle it. Situational awareness with the sounds were definitely better in A2 when they fired even in buildings.

Hello,

as my team knows already, my current status is terrible. I didn't found any time to work on the studio, on JSRS or on any other projects so far. I know this sucks, I myself feel bad about that, but I'll find myself back into this soonish.

So yeah, we are aware of this issue. The problem is not the mod, the mods or what ever, its actually the games engine. I dont know how we can avoid this little issue. But seeing you having those problems tells me already, that there is no real difference between Stereo and Mono sounds in this kinda situation. Currently our sounds just work up to 130 meters but after 30 meters we have already scripted Mono sounds playing. Your sounds, the alpha sounds, go up to 1300 meters and are in stereo. So actually, since we (scripted Mono) and you (Non scripted Stereo) have the same issue here, I can tell that this problem is actually really the engine wise. I dont know how this is fixable but by BIS directly. I think they'll think about changing something at least.

Not sure if you have the same problems with the Vanilla Sound effects by ArmA3. If so, since I never played with them, then we know its really an engine issue. If this is only the case with mods involved I guess we will have to open a ticket for that issue. Soundmods, either JSRS or SoS or what ever, are a really really important point of the modding community. Especially since we all know BIS' sounds are not pleasing some or most players. So either we'll get a workaround patch by BIS soonish or we'll just have to live with that (in my eyes little) issue. As said, in urban situations is quiet stressing and for me realistic, and on more open areas it wouldn't be much of a problem since the AI or Enemy would attack you from longer distances anyways which does work fine on the JSRS Team Build currently.

But I'm always confident that I can find a way to fix it. As I always did so far, good or bad, we kinda fixed the issues we had. For example the explosion sounds had this weird sound volume problem. Some, further away from your location sounded loud and powerful, really nice. But as soon as those got closer to the player they sounded weak and were less audible, volume wise. That was mostly an issue with the filter techniques from BIS or from my own. The JSRS Filter are working fine so far, just need some further tweaking.

BUT: The new scripted shrapnel sound effects are totally fixing the weak explosions that are close to the player. So yeah, its getting better each day.

Maybe I should send BIS all my stuff, JSRS2.0 Full Version, and they'll sell it as an DLC for ArmA3? I guess some would be interested in that. I mean JSRS2.0 in the current DEV version covers 100% of the game. So ... I guess some would spent some money if this would get supported by BIS directly... Would be a giant success for me, for the last 5 years of work I've spent for this community :D Which I liked doing EVERY DAY :)

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Maybe I should send BIS all my stuff, JSRS2.0 Full Version, and they'll sell it as an DLC for ArmA3? I guess some would be interested in that. I mean JSRS2.0 in the current DEV version covers 100% of the game. So ... I guess some would spent some money if this would get supported by BIS directly... Would be a giant success for me, for the last 5 years of work I've spent for this community :D Which I liked doing EVERY DAY :)

LJ

Honestly, I would pay for it. Would agree for it but only - and only if they would hire you and make you chief in sound engineering team. Don't want to sound harsh for BIS audio devs but I wouldn't like them to possibly destroy your work in their updates (once we had nice - just tweaking needed - occlusion effects where hills/houses/trees occluded the sound. It was taken down and now vanilla audio sounds much more stripped down).

Hope that you will find more time soon on JSRS!

Hello,

as my team knows already, my current status is terrible. I didn't found any time to work on the studio, on JSRS or on any other projects so far. I know this sucks, I myself feel bad about that, but I'll find myself back into this soonish.

So yeah, we are aware of this issue. The problem is not the mod, the mods or what ever, its actually the games engine. I dont know how we can avoid this little issue. But seeing you having those problems tells me already, that there is no real difference between Stereo and Mono sounds in this kinda situation. Currently our sounds just work up to 130 meters but after 30 meters we have already scripted Mono sounds playing. Your sounds, the alpha sounds, go up to 1300 meters and are in stereo. So actually, since we (scripted Mono) and you (Non scripted Stereo) have the same issue here, I can tell that this problem is actually really the engine wise. I dont know how this is fixable but by BIS directly. I think they'll think about changing something at least.

Not sure if you have the same problems with the Vanilla Sound effects by ArmA3. If so, since I never played with them, then we know its really an engine issue. If this is only the case with mods involved I guess we will have to open a ticket for that issue. Soundmods, either JSRS or SoS or what ever, are a really really important point of the modding community. Especially since we all know BIS' sounds are not pleasing some or most players. So either we'll get a workaround patch by BIS soonish or we'll just have to live with that (in my eyes little) issue. As said, in urban situations is quiet stressing and for me realistic, and on more open areas it wouldn't be much of a problem since the AI or Enemy would attack you from longer distances anyways which does work fine on the JSRS Team Build currently.

But I'm always confident that I can find a way to fix it. As I always did so far, good or bad, we kinda fixed the issues we had. For example the explosion sounds had this weird sound volume problem. Some, further away from your location sounded loud and powerful, really nice. But as soon as those got closer to the player they sounded weak and were less audible, volume wise. That was mostly an issue with the filter techniques from BIS or from my own. The JSRS Filter are working fine so far, just need some further tweaking.

BUT: The new scripted shrapnel sound effects are totally fixing the weak explosions that are close to the player. So yeah, its getting better each day.

LJ

Good overview of the issue LordJarhead! Thanks to take the time to report to us.

I think you should seriously consider contacting them. Send few emails, get a phone number and organize a small meeting to discuss the issues you have. Your component is a very serious one and I am pretty sure they all know about its existence and how much the community is waiting for it.

I can tell you that they will be able to spend an hour with you to get all your feedback on their sound engine considering everything you did in the past to make their game better.

Take the time …call them … they will work with you. It is not like you did a new texture on a Saturday morning. You invested thousands of hours …and the result is astonishing.

I work in the software industry for mostly 20 years now. You would be surprised how much those guys would be interested to talk to you directly to get your feedback. Make it a conjoint project with them. It won’t cost them a lot, just few fixes … and the return on investment for them will be amazing.

Hello,

LJ

What source are you using for your sounds? If even a tiny part of them comes from some other guy's YT video, or a sound lib you didn't bought licence for, then selling it is a no-go. Also, I don't think sound mods are good business opportunities because there could be quite many of them. I mean sure, the stock audio is quite unimmersive, but since you wont be the only one who has it right, people wont be "forced" (for a lack of better expression) to pay for having different experience than the default.

So IMO the people who would buy JSRS are the same people who are currently donating to you.

Edited by tpM