Sign in to follow this  
Polygon

Official A3 campaign thread - discussion, wishlists & more

"down to earth, something like “a nobodyâ€â€”just one cog in the war machine—that eventually comes to play a bigger and bigger role." Oh hey it's one of those things we keep yammering on about when we reference the CWC campaign.

Doesn't episodic releases severely limit the flow of story and fleshing out characters? People are slowly losing any faith in A3 campaign.

I doubt each ep. will have an ending (like Half Life 2) or multiple and will start a completely new storyline, only in the same timespan of the previous one, carefully relating to events that already occurred.

Hopefully, we'll get to walk stairs (from Pvt. to Cpt.) with one of the characters. I remember promotion scenes providing lots of satisfaction after hard labor in the battlefield.

I guess procedural gameplay is also out of the game because the objective is now to keep it "simple and fun".

"down to earth, something like “a nobodyâ€â€”just one cog in the war machine—that eventually comes to play a bigger and bigger role." Oh hey it's one of those things we keep yammering on about when we reference the CWC campaign.

Haha, it does sound like they're trying to head back to the linearity of OFP. While I know some people will hate that, you can't deny that it was the best OFP/Arma campaign ever made, and I'm kinda sick of badly done open world campaigns. Until they managed to make something open world as fun as the semi-linear campaigns of OFP... gimme what's better anyday.

I guess procedural gameplay is also out of the game because the objective is now to keep it "simple and fun".
One of the bits I noticed was from the above that a simpler "campaign" -- or rather, three separate mini-campaigns -- is also believed by the creative director to be easier on their QA.

Now if you have a problem with an attitude of "ease for us"... they've been riding that attitude since the Steamworks decision which in part was because of "easier development for us" so it's consistent there.

Haha, it does sound like they're trying to head back to the linearity of OFP. While I know some people will hate that, you can't deny that it was the best OFP/Arma campaign ever made, and I'm kinda sick of badly done open world campaigns. Until they managed to make something open world as fun as the semi-linear campaigns of OFP... gimme what's better anyday.
This actually sounds like the underlying philosophy behind "The focus upon small, quick deliverables" mentioned in the dev blog, and the bits above from the PC Gamer interview, the implication that they would not have succeeded with the original A3 concept, and unlike by both DnA/Joris and Jay's admissions the Arma campaigns, OFP stands out as a known quantity whose campaign isn't talked down (there's that one remark by Ivan last year about CWC as "a shitty game", but he didn't specify the campaign ;-) ) and thus a seemingly more reliable model for and image of "what does a good campaign look like" than the rest*. :p Although Resistance isn't a bad idea as an alternative, it was talked up back in 2012 as well, and our project lead has described it as his favorite.

* Interestingly enough, the circle of players that I play Arma 3 with? They're PMC fans. :icon_twisted:

Chortles you create so much spin and false information from posting quotes here and there that does no good - not for you, not for interested people and not to BI. Just stop.

One of the bits I noticed was from the above that a simpler "campaign" -- or rather, three separate mini-campaigns -- is also believed by the creative director to be easier on their QA.

Now if you have a problem with an attitude of "ease for us"... they've been riding that attitude since the Steamworks decision which in part was because of "easier development for us" so it's consistent there.This actually sounds like the underlying philosophy behind "The focus upon small, quick deliverables" mentioned in the dev blog, and the bits above from the PC Gamer interview, the implication that they would not have succeeded with the original A3 concept, and unlike by both DnA/Joris and Jay's admissions the Arma campaigns, OFP stands out as a known quantity whose campaign isn't talked down (there's that one remark by Ivan last year about CWC as "a shitty game", but he didn't specify the campaign ;-) ) and thus a seemingly more reliable model for and image of "what does a good campaign look like" than the rest*. :p Although Resistance isn't a bad idea as an alternative, it was talked up back in 2012 as well, and our project lead has described it as his favorite.

* Interestingly enough, the circle of players that I play Arma 3 with? They're PMC fans. :icon_twisted:

Are you trying to sound intelligent? What you just did was quoting the devs and not adding anything useful to the discussion. Stop writing stuff in a Cpt. Obvious style. As .kju mentioned, it's beneficial for nobody, except the arrogant pseudo- types.

From a customer's POV, this excuse of "easier QA" is 100% invalid and should NOT be considered an argument. That's simply abysmal.

Video in 2011 says that A3 campaign will have multiple endings. However, as with everything from 2011, I don't think we should take that as granted! There are also mentions of Roleplay elements and Sandbox elements!

Btw. They were also mentioned "Several large chapters" in 2011 in A3 campaign. That means that the "episode" concept isn't so new..

Edited by TSAndrey

I'd love it if each episode concentrated on a different faction. Actually, I'd be far more interested in playing a campaign that focused on the AAF than NATO. And hardly any games let you play as "The Bad Guys". Even with OFP's Red Hammer, they chickened out by eventually having the main character join the Resistance. Just because CSAT are against NATO in the game doesn't mean they're all plain evil, so why not let us play as them and see the conflict from the OPFOR perspective for once.

I'd love it if each episode concentrated on a different faction. Actually, I'd be far more interested in playing a campaign that focused on the AAF than NATO. And hardly any games let you play as "The Bad Guys". Even with OFP's Red Hammer, they chickened out by eventually having the main character join the Resistance. Just because CSAT are against NATO in the game doesn't mean they're all plain evil, so why not let us play as them and see the conflict from the OPFOR perspective for once.

Amen ! Opfor= bestfor

From a customer's POV, this excuse of "easier QA" is 100% invalid and should NOT be considered an argument. That's simply abysmal.

What we have here is someone who has no idea what they're talking about. It's a completely valid excuse. Assuming its true of course, but I don't see Bohemia as the kind of company to straight up fib. Their reasons seem pretty reasonable (we needed to get the game back on track)

Linearity allows focus, doesn't mean the gameplay has to be linear of course. NeuroFunker earlier mentioned the Resistance mission wherein

If you turn the fighter in you are then executed by the rogue reds

and will that did branch a bit, the rest of the story was tightly contained. A single mission does not a non linear story make.

I think both CWC and Resistance deserve a strong case study because there is no one particular element that stands out but rather is a mix of elements that mesh well with one another.

You have- a lengthly campaign with noting of dates to show that this campaign is lengthly and not just fought over a few short days.

You have characters that display ranges of emotion from joking (and not immature, seriously "thats not what your X said, what the hell) to frustrated, angry, sad and so on, so the characters were more connectable.

You start off as a simple underdog and work your way up with a nice consistent line extending from the vehicle types to the next, rather than "okay in this mission you're in an APC, now you're in a helicopter, now you're in a tank!"

There was also loss..something we rarely if ever see in games these days is that several missions in CWC and Resistance were about achieving a stalemate or despite your best efforts, unable to advance rather than leading a steady blitzkrieg wherein the action never ends and becomes boring in and of itself because it never ends.

You saw the consequences of war and anyone who has played through CWC will know exactly what I am talking about when you hear this

it really set that tone for CWC, and for Resistance it was the Soviet invasion.

the guy going mad

the first "face to face" victory of the Resistance vs the reds but also the dramatic scene that comes after.

There was also downtime to add a buffer zone between the action, to make it not seem so repetitive.

Driving that truck across country side may have seemed like a pointless, menial task considering all that happens is you then set up a tent offscreen, everything seems fine but then BAM you get a call on radio for urgent help, would this moment have been as dramatic had you been fighting your way up there the whole time?

And other missions pushed you to NOT fight...after malden, the mission wherein you meet up with the resistance leader for documents to take back, the point being to escape the ambush with Gastavoski, the only guy that came with you, stays to help the resistance fight, leaving you alone.

The human element is also what made Eagle Wing such a memorable mini campaign, it wasn't being in an attack helicopter or watching the nuke go off..sure the sight of that mushroom cloud jerked a few nerves but it was the atmospheric music, and ensuing panic, how you didn't really know WHO you were shooting at or being shot at or why, everyone just "did so" .On the opposite spectrum we saw the Russians and US pilot put their national differences aside in such a desperate time, and held through with that honor even at the end.

The greatness of the story is only part of the plot..more importantly is the connection the audience can form with the character, if there is no connection, no drama from loss or care of a victory, then there are no memorable moments.

Edited by NodUnit

How they able to make a decent campaign with a ton of bugs particularly with the AI.

In 3 years may be after a ton of patches.

Cheer up! Dev Missions Makers.

lol, i'm already so tired of bluefor is being a goodFor, and opfor a evilFor, so i've even forgot to meantion, i wish actually you could play as Opfor, but not massacring civilians, and other evil stuff, but i would see Opfor being a goodFor.

---------- Post added at 01:24 ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 ----------

How they able to make a decent campaign with a ton of bugs particularly with the AI.

In 3 years may be after a ton of patches.

Cheer up! Dev Missions Makers.

^*trolling allert* umm, yeah, how? Maybe after various updates, before beta gets final version, and with first campaign episode?

The best part about HR was the player freedom to go about the missions in anyway they chose - with emergent events having an impact on the mission

I hope this is still the focus in ARMA 3

Mmmh... I liked the "destroy the radio: sneak in or call for air support" in first mission, that was more somerhing like spec ops.

I didn't like the warfare thing in SP nor the "go on foot, by car, by helicopter, whatever you want but find the guy in the entire map before XX o'clock" thing - both sucked.

I liked that bit and to be fair there was a hint on what region he would be in. I thought it was more a waste of time to have to stand at the exact correct spot in front of some warehouse in order for some cutscene to start playing. 10 feet to the left and you were screwed. HR had some really good elements to walk you through the weaponry while keeping you busy with some good old firefights

resistance was best campaign for me. The experince, playing military simulator, and playing as civilian at begining, had really impressed me.

Resistance was just awesome.A true campaign.

I hope we get to see something like that in ArmA 3.

yea. the campaign needs less tacticool and more of that real feeling of being in a real place. the feeling of fighting for something. even if just to survive or for your battle buddies. to me ofp's campaign felt great because you didn't really know what you got yourself into at the start. you were just tagging along trying to not get shot. and then it slowly unfolded giving you more confidence. i really liked that.

i also like the feeling of being a guerilla guy. being up against a superior force. i kind of understand why there was never a "takiban" campaign in OA but i would've really liked that.