Sign in to follow this  
Polygon

Official A3 campaign thread - discussion, wishlists & more

I was quite sad that BIS and nobody else didn't make a Napa Campaign. Awesome opportunity missed.

Yeah I feel like HR had huge potential, but was too short. It felt like it was a little bit rushed and you couldn't get all the atmosphere you could out of it.

Those faction videos they had on their homepage were purely awesome, but the campaign didn't fully live up to that.

Edited by zimms

I get what RiE said in the dev branch thread, but why did the story have to change from the E3 2012 story? I mean, why CSAT instead of Iran and why Altis instead of Limnos? Well, I know about Altis. But why change Iran? Were you guys afraid of Iranian reprisals? Or did you come up with the plausible idea that Iran couldn't sweep across the Middle East and the Mediterranean alone and needed help, but for some reason chose a new CSAT instead of the SCO? What I liked initially about ArmA 3 was that it actually had real factions, real countries instead of fictional countries like in previous games.

1. coop

2. coop

3. coop

10. coop

:)

Coop :D
As other people said, I want coop.

Not even specialized for it, I just want to play the same single player missions with a friend. Oh and dedicated server support for said coop would be nice.

coop :D
Yes, indeed, Coop would be great if it is without too many annoying bugs. But 1. They clearly sayed it wont have Coop 2. Im pretty sure it would be full of bugs again

Yes. Yes. Yes. Pretty disappointing to see a coop-able campaign be yet another thing to get axed. It was one of the things I was most looking forward to. So many things going away, but I've yet to see the payoff.

I still remember the first time I played OFP, I spend all night long sucked by the game ( literally ), it made you feel really inside the story. Same goes with resistance.

While Armas 1 and 2, felt a bit more disconnected (though some of the missions were awesome, like the patrol with the BAF ), maybe it was that the story was not good enough to get you into the game world, but the possibility to make choices on the fly ( like CAS bomb or sneak assault ) took the game to another dimension (makin it more deep, and well that's war is about ). Maybe the devs were in a hurry to finish it (cuz for example the a2 camp was full of bugs ).

I hope this time, devs take as many time as they need but give us a polished campaign with a good story. At least as long as the first OFP. Meanwhile I will be happy if they keep givin' us vehicles and stuff to create our own missions.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Pretty disappointing to see a coop-able campaign be yet another thing to get axed. It was one of the things I was most looking forward to. So many things going away, but I've yet to see the payoff.

I've generally avoided Arma 3 discussions but I would like to point out, a Coop Campaign is one thing that WASN'T axed. The BIS plan was always a Singleplayer Campaign not coop.

Regardless however I wouldn't say no to a Coop option either.

Regards Hawk.

Personally I can't see how the devs can overlook some sweet maritime trade standoff between CSAT/Africa and NATO. Think of the Dardanelles strait exactly like the Suez canal in Egypt. NATO wants to ensure it's historical control of maritime trade routes and conditions over the resurgent asian coalition so maintains a strong naval base on Altis. This allows for a scenario of sweet maritime interdiction, high seas piracy, PMCs, russian subs and naval infantry, amphibious assaults and naval warfare. Delicious.

Edited by Flaky

I'd like to see all "Objects (Small)" as inventory items too please.

ArmA2 coop campaign was pretty horrible, imo. So many technical problems, it wasn't even funny.

What I hope regarding the ArmA3 campaign is, that it won't be too black and white. Evil east oppressing the west, etc. It's time for something a little deeper...

I think I'd just kind of like to play CSAT or AAF the whole time. Sure would offer an interesting perspective.

If possible, starting the campaign at a recruitment stage for those would be nice, so you could choose to select a sort of air force sub-campaign, or infantry, trucker, recon, armor, etc. Besides, it would definitely extend replayablity of the campaign.

should have multiple story lines... like the classic OFP campaign.

so the NATO version

AAF version

CSAT version

would be interesting.

also... how big is this campaign?

would you say its the largest campaign BI ever created?

Yeah, I wish we had more informations about this campaign.

Not sure how well this meshes up to DnA and RiE's statements about a more general binning of Arma 3 development work period due to their disagreement with its direction, but with the campaign this makes sense... I admittedly hope that someone finalized the campaign story really early on in "the starting-from-scratch, 2013 edition" period!

Definitely coop through the whole story. Also, please allow same group coop. There was none of that in Arma 2 OA. 2 players had different roles. Also, Itoo would like to play all all side instead of just blufor. And just a strange suggestion cause I believe it has never been done before to my knowledge. Allow different players to not only play coop, but say two people are playing campaign, have them be able to play campaign on different sides. Another words, two players playing the story head to head. The outcome will change depending on player skill and attitude as well. Food for thought!

The devs explicitly ruled out co-op for the Arma 3 campaigns.

Yeah.. I don't understand why it should be hard to do a coop campaign.

Maybe their creating a DayZ campaign? Who knows, I noticed one of the practice targets in the editor had a zombie on it. It could be a DayZ campaign?!? Or maybe their making 2 campaigns, we'll just have to find out.:D

Ranwer

Maybe their creating a DayZ campaign? Who knows, I noticed one of the practice targets in the editor had a zombie on it. It could be a DayZ campaign?!? Or maybe their making 2 campaigns, we'll just have to find out.:D

Ranwer

That would not be cool at all...

That would not be cool at all...

I Totally agree.

Hello there

Before we get into the "we hate Dayz" area of things, its highly unlikely they would go that route, so lets get back to reality shall we?

There's nothing wrong with a bit of zed shooting but they would not release A3 with a major zombie based campaign. No need. They have DAYZ mod the upcoming SA and many user made Zed based missions/mods.

There's a lot of decisions we might not agree with in A3 but lets not start making ones up that dont exist.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Before we get into the "we hate Dayz" area of things, its highly unlikely they would go that route, so lets get back to reality shall we?

There's nothing wrong with a bit of zed shooting but they would not release A3 with a major zombie based campaign. No need. They have DAYZ mod the upcoming SA and many user made Zed based missions/mods.

There's a lot of decisions we might not agree with in A3 but lets not start making ones up that dont exist.

Rgds

LoK

And understand that by posting your comment, you are continuing that discussion and you clearly didn't recognize a joke. Next time don't be so eager to post your subtle "I like DayZ" plug.

As for the campaign, I honestly wish they'd have some NPCs (all your AI) actually act more like people, with maybe custom animations and such. I like watching movies, and most AAA games' campaigns are basically playable movies, but the thing that I wish Arma 3 could take from them (especially the MW games, despite how hated they are) is that their characters actually act human, and aren't just a bunch of AI running around (sure, the bad guys are, but not the main good guys). So that's what I wish Arma 3 would have. Some performance captured NPCs that aren't just AI squad leaders or team leaders. I don't really have hope that BI has the resources to pull this off, but it'd be great if they did.

And understand that by posting your comment, you are continuing that discussion and you clearly didn't recognize a joke. Next time don't be so eager to post your subtle "I like DayZ" plug.

Hello there

No, i didnt get your joke and just find the undeserved anger towards DAYZ baffling by many if not yourself. I may be continuing the theme by giving an opposing view but I did not start the debate. Surely both sides are allowed their opinion?

Lastly, why should I not be so eager to state that I like Dayz? Its no different to liking any other mod be it ACE etc.

As to the campaign, I'd like to see as much dynamic content as possible and possibly the ability to carry over gear/vehicles as one could do in the Resistance campaign.

The beauty for many in the arma engine is the vast amount of possibilities and in the way no two games are identical. In creating dynamic possibilities in even a linear narrative would greatly increase the campaigns replayability.

Also, the persistence of gear (as in Resistance (even DAYZ :) ) really gave a feeling of connection to the character and his predicament. I felt Arma's campaign lost this although later A2 missions in its campaign touched on it having missions within missions al la Patrol Ops etc.

Just my two cents.

Rgds

LoK

That's an unofficial project that at last check was still having to use A2/OA assets, Rocket and company have no involvement.