Sign in to follow this  
Vioxtar

Atmosphere and Immersion Elements

I think the game is lacking elements which could contribute to the overall feeling and atmosphere of the game, and better immerse the player in the setting and/or environment the game provides.

Such elements which I'd like to see implemented are (and I realize some of these things are being worked on or hope they are):

Wind gusts and soundscape - the game does take place on hills and mountains, all on an island surrounded by an ocean, and you'd probably hear lots of wind buzzing by your ears the higher up you are on the terrain

Trees and bushes and grass being affected by wind improved to be more dynamic - right now the trees are really still. ARMA involves lots of walking (usually through forests and whatnot) and things can get very repetitive. If things like trees and bushes are completely still 24/7 it just blows the player out of immersion and practically reminds you 'this is just a game'

Bolder, improved waves

Intense storms

Rain

A more interesting climate/atmosphere - it's always sunny and bright and virtually pale. Needs more juice.

And the most important thing - more variety in the map. Right now everything looks the same wherever you go (aside from specific areas such as the airbase, agia marina, and mike 26 airstation). Towns are always similiar, hills and mountains always share the same casual structure. I think the game needs more juice - have places be more unique and interesting, have it so every place looks different from another on the map, and every place is memorable. Extreme cliffs, an industrial area perhaps, really big forests, caves (?), Tall towers, etc.

You should design missions in the editor and assign different seasons and times in the missions you create that way you will see the epic terrain engine come to life in all its colours and glory.

not enough atmo? Wut! For me, this is next athomspheric game after Metro - last light. Early morning, with glowing sun light. Looks so athmo. Makes you wanna lay down and chill. Very windy and cloudly weather, looks damn athmo to me. Makes me want play stalker-like missions. So i do in editor. Placing an enemy base somewhere, placing myself with silencer, and just trying to sneak in and kill them, or steal a car. Adding a fog, is also very athmospherish. Especialy when ur flying chopper, and see how the city is covered with fog, but the hills and mountains around it, are not under fog yet. Tbh, i can't remember in what game, there were fog like that. Night! Night is just pure atho by itself. Night showcase, when your approaching with a boat. Light house shining on you, like the eye of Mordor from LOTR.

One thing tought, that island and sunny weather, really makes you want to wander around, chill, starting some chillout or lunge music at background. Instead of killing some enemies :D Thats probably only negative aspect from the game, using medditerain,

I think it's the sound mainly, the guns are too loud compared to environment and footsteps and people use to keep it low volume. If you turn sound very loud (and avoid some shooting) there is a completely different atmosphere.

Play around with the Editor. Its up to you to design & create anything you want. The genius of ArmA.

Keep in mind the game is not finished yet. Large chunks are turned off, incomplete, or unstable.

Storms, Rain, Random Weather, etc is not on the public Beta version yet.

Recommend you try some missions already created by others here if you don't want to scale the

steep learning curve for full mind-blowing customization. Play around for a day or two to setup

some basics in the editor and *hook*, you'll be addicted like the rest of us... Welcome! :icon_w00t:

I think it's the sound mainly, the guns are too loud compared to environment and footsteps and people use to keep it low volume. If you turn sound very loud (and avoid some shooting) there is a completely different atmosphere.

I agree, ambient sounds are still too low / guns sounds too loud.

I agree, ambient sounds are still too low / guns sounds too loud.

there is NO WAY the gun sounds should be more silent... But i agree, that ambient sound, can be loader a bit.

Gun sounds to LOW? lol, next you'll be asking for lasers...

And the "atmosphere" is bloody awesome!

more ambient sounds!

some birds, seagulls and the shore / waves. and wind and trees.

more ambient sounds!

some birds, seagulls and the shore / waves. and wind and trees.

more ambient sounds, are dependent on mission maker, it was so sine OFP. But i agree, that flying around birds and seaguls, farcry style maybe, would bring some immersion. We got random bunnies already, why no birds then?

If I were to list what I'd love to see on the islands (Quite a few inspired on these very forums) my wishlist would be:

-Certain areas come with animals as standard, but with the ability to be removed. Esssentially pre-placed modules in sensible places that can be enabled or disabled by map makers. Mainly sheep and goats, you know, because Greece.

-Herd animals reacting to players in a simple way. Walk near one, it walks away. Run at one or loud noises cause them to run as a flock in the other direction. Sheep herding minigame via helicopter is a top priority features BIS or I demand a refund! :P

-Dogs barking or howling at the approach of a character and perhaps even attack if the character stays too long. Scriptable to only respond to OPFOR/ BLURFOR or Independent to simulate some form of guard dog.

-More bird-life, or at least simulated via more birdsong and birds flying from trees when loud noises/running players come near. Can just be a visual effect that dissipates ater 10-30 seconds.

-Evidence of recent human habitation. Some basic furniture inside buildings, beaches with loungers and rubbish left around from holidaymakers, small touches in the right places is all it takes.

-Waves lapping onto shorelines, because.. you know, waves do that. Doesn't have to be a major feature that has much effect, would just be cool to see.

-A couple more civillian vehicles. Busses, maybe a tourist pleasureboat, a small passenger plane. All of which would add to a richer environment if placed around, but also be good for hostage-taking missions and the like.

-Ambient civillian life that can be enabled/disabled by the mission maker. Obviously I can imagine this one to be difficult as it would have to be sensible enough to not drive cars towards the raging battles or tank convoys, but towns with actual people walking around and appearing to be doing things would make cities feel so much more dynamic and alive.

-More ambient sounds in general.

-More ambient sounds when in vehicles. I listened to the Speed of Sound mod on the WIP forums a few days ago and even said there that I was impressed by the changes. The car sounds added more things like hearing stones ping off of the side of a car as you drive along, or the suspension occasionally squeaking, and it makes the car seem so much more.. real.

OFC almost all of these are cosmetic changes which have next-to-no effect on gameplay, and so are more than likely things that would be bottom priority even if BIS were planning on doing any. It's a shame, but budgets and deadlines are a bitch, I suppose. Would be amazing for just a few of these to be included, however, as I think they would really add to the feel of the already rather striking islands.

Edited by Marcai

more ambient sounds, are dependent on mission maker, it was so sine OFP. But i agree, that flying around birds and seaguls, farcry style maybe, would bring some immersion. We got random bunnies already, why no birds then?

Don't forget the sheep, chickens, and dogs! LOL. They're all apparently mute, but I've got chickens and sheep all over the place in my rural missions. I threw a couple of dogs in here and there, too, but they act sort of spastic and their path-finding is terrible, so use them sparingly in cities/towns lest you want to watch dogs emerge from the sides of buildings. There are supposed to be goats, according to the drop down menu in the Animal Sites, but they don't appear to have been added just yet.

I'm not up on the indigenous critters of the Greek isles, but, for realism's (and fun's) sake, I'd love to see more domestic beasties, like horses, ducks, geese, cows, house cats, etc. Obviously, we're not playing FARMA III, but it would be cool to be able to add said stuff to villages/rural areas, and the ambient sounds they provide would just make it so much more immersive.

If I were to list what I'd love to see on the islands (Quite a few inspired on these very forums) my wishlist would be:

Awesome ideas. You should create a ticket for this stuff on the feedback tracker.

They are quite loud, but they dont carry far enough.

And the "atmosphere" is bloody awesome!

+1 000 000

100% with you OP. Also the absolute lack of rain for the past what, 4 months or so, has been really upsetting. And last thing I heard on the topic of rain was that the developers haven't even touched it since they pulled it from the game :mad:

But basically everything you said I agree with. Game feels extremely static right now.

They are quite loud, but they dont carry far enough.

This x1000

It's very immersion breaking to see a chopper 300m from you and barely be able to hear the thing or have an entire squad laying down automatic fire and you can barely even hear it.

I made some tickets which could relate to the atmosphere you want:

Waves crashing: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10569

Good luck with that one..;):p

:rolleyes:

Can't use chemlights underwater: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10589

Possibly be an addon later:D

Well, one strange thing I noticed in Arma 3 is that when I'm playing with my friend, he can sometimes hear sounds farther away than me. Sometimes when a car is coming 300m away, he can hear it, but I can't. Maybe it's because he has a better headset...

who were hosting the game from you? Maybe somehow hoster/client dependent.

Nah, it also happens when we play public MP servers