Sign in to follow this  
Mirudes

‘Simulation fever’ - No bipods without weapon resting?

Oh comon, without placeholders?

Ok then take away "door opening" u cannot see any hands there.

Take away entering a car, you cant see doors open there.

This are just 2 examples which are much more "Placeholder'ish" then a simply Weapon rest without maybe proper animated Bipods.. Arma is too huge to make all perfect in a realistic time with a rather small team.

Noone would care if the Bipods are not animated (maybe animate them later), but the function is strongly needed. Also on normal Rifles without Bipod they wouldnt need to change any animations.

I'm obviously late to the discussion however having bipods is a MUST HAVE for the MG. Have any of the devs tried hitting something with the MG? its dang near impossible esp over distance. Whilst I know firsthand how difficult it is to hit anything over distance with an MG (my experience is with the F89 Minimi and Mag 58 LMG), I was still able to hit targets with atleast 1 out of 4 rounds over 300m using a scope and short bursts. In ARMA III, I can't hit crap. Thats why noone seems to use the MG online.

im waiting constantly for a changelog in development branch:

- added weaponrest :D Hope never dies.

I too would love to see this in the game however, I feel on the list of priorities it is rather low.

So many other issues need to be tended too before 'Bi-Pods'.

There are weapon resting addons out there chaps!

Ye, there is a nice addon for it, which is not allowed on most servers.

Also this is a feature which is requested since around 10 years, and should be finally in the vanilla game.

So, as Devs are putting in more shiny Light effects, they polishing constantly the showcases, which nearly noone plays anyway - MAYBE its time to add the most awaited, longest awaited and by far the highest rated feature in the feedback tracker? Weapon Rest?

I mean, its not like we wait like 12 years for it already :)

Or is something else more important? Maybe a nice little switch on a rifle to see if its in full or semi?

And dont say: there are addons for it, addons are mostly not supported on multiplayer servers.

There already are animated switches for fire modes. You may need to use 3rd person to see it on weapons that have the switch on the right side.

So a single member of the community can produce a mod that implements weapon resting adequately enough for people to say we should use that and be happy, yet BIS can't produce something to the same effect while having a whole team of developers and a constant cash flow coming in from sales? What is this talk of animation being the reason it's not implemented into the base game? Why not just switch the model for the weapon, like is done for all other weapon changes. There are no animations for switching optics for example. After all the marketing talk of focusing on the "infantry experience" this most asked for infantry specific feature is being ignored and left to the community to implement again.

So a single member of the community can produce a mod that implements weapon resting adequately enough for people to say we should use that and be happy, yet BIS can't produce something to the same effect while having a whole team of developers and a constant cash flow coming in from sales? What is this talk of animation being the reason it's not implemented into the base game? Why not just switch the model for the weapon, like is done for all other weapon changes. There are no animations for switching optics for example. After all the marketing talk of focusing on the "infantry experience" this most asked for infantry specific feature is being ignored and left to the community to implement again.

My "hoping me" thinks that this will be fixed in time and that compared to the A2 release they just left out bugged/unfinished features (campaign, first aid module, other modules...) so it wouldn't be as big as a desaster as the ArmA2 release back then (which was quite buggy).

Still, it involves alot of trust and time will tell wether I was right or wrong.

Devs have previously noted that the mods only script weapon resting, which isn't the same as it being integrated into the engine... so time/resources/priorities, and weapon resting wasn't a priority.

Devs have previously noted that the mods only script weapon resting, which isn't the same as it being integrated into the engine... so time/resources/priorities, and weapon resting wasn't a priority.

That kinda sounds like a cheap excuse (by BIS), BIS have used scripts themselves quite alot in their games, I doubt they use no scripts at all in ArmA3...

mods only script weapon resting, which isn't the same as it being integrated into the engine

This is a poor definition, as the engine itself is made up of "scripts". The idea behind anything being "integrated into the engine" is that the "scripts" are tightly coupled to the engine. Take the new sun rays, written by a member of the community, now added to the "engine". I don't buy the PR excuses of "time/resources/priorities", someone had the time to implement fish swimming, that got prioritised higher than weapon resting.

someone had the time to implement fish swimming, that got prioritised higher than weapon resting.
Pretty much. :p Shooting from vehicles was explicitly revealed to have been "de-prioritized, we were told to work on something else", so I wouldn't be surprised if it came down to "the powers that be didn't want weapon resting that badly."

Take the new sun rays, written by a member of the community, now added to the "engine".

Lol, whatever gave you that idea?

Lukáš BábíÄek is one of BIS' programmers; has been for ages. He worked at Altar Games before they merged with BIS.

Lol, whatever gave you that idea?

Lukáš BábíÄek is one of BIS' programmers; has been for ages. He worked at Altar Games before they merged with BIS.

http://dev.arma3.com/sitrep-00028

"Special kudos go to programmer Lukáš BábíÄek, who developed this feature for Arma 3 in his spare time as a hobby project - and offered it to us to release!"

I took that as a community submission, apologies.

Bipod and weapon rest is not that important. The important thing should be firing from vehicle, esp from within APCs/IFVs

Bipod and weapon rest is not that important. The important thing should be firing from vehicle, esp from within APCs/IFVs

I disagree, i think it's very important and should have been added for age.

Honestly I think Bipods are a little bit more important than that. You don´t have APCs in every Infantry Mission but you almost every time you have a MG/LMG and they are borderline useless without the Bipod Feature

Honestly I think Bipods are a little bit more important than that. You don´t have APCs in every Infantry Mission but you almost every time you have a MG/LMG and they are borderline useless without the Bipod Feature

Yeah and IMO resting should have a greater impact on gunplay as in firing without it should be almost painfull after a while = longer firefights and all the tactics that goes with it.

Yep, if you use a static MG you can see how much effective proper weapon resting would be with a HMG or LMG. Or ofc. with the ace mod in previous titles.

It's awesome to mow down enemies with little recoil, making suppressive fire very effective and deadly.

Wait, wait, hold on guys.

Bipods are an essentially cosmetic feature. If a weapon has a bipod modeled, you can simply reduce that weapon's recoil and sway when in prone mode. So you can get a realistic result without any new features at all. IIRC, this is how it was in A2. The M107 was more stable in prone than the SVD.

It's the weapon resting in crouch and stand that REALLY matters. Because then you can take advantage of good cover positions that would be crucial to the outcome of a battle in real life. Car hoods, sandbags, low stone walls. All these forms of cover are neutered as fighting positions because we can't get rid of the stupid sway.

The important thing should be firing from vehicle, esp from within APCs/IFVs

Meh. No one has hit a single damned thing from inside of an APC since WWII. It would be next to useless in ArmA, too.

Now firing from car windows, truck beds, boats and choppers with small arms: I'm on board 100%. With a rifle and massive levels of inaccuracy.

Edited by maturin

Wait, wait, hold on guys.

Bipods are an essentially cosmetic feature. If a weapon has a bipod modeled, you can simply reduce that weapon's recoil and sway when in prone mode. So you can get a realistic result without any new features at all. IIRC, this is how it was in A2. The M107 was more stable in prone than the SVD.

Don't think that's the case any more. I only say that because it used to be that all bipods were down on the actual weapon model and then BIS changed it so all bipods were up on the weapon model (even when prone). This suggested to me that they wanted to put some kind of bipod action in where the bipod got flipped down but simply didn't get around to it.