Sign in to follow this  
TankCommander

Arma 3 Trailer

I was contemplating the impact of past Arma trailers, and personally none seemed to really convey the intense Arma experience, or at least sell it to me. I feel a game as immensely detailed as this deserves far more than previous clumsy gameplay trailers have provided. Perhaps rather than presenting the game as a set of features or as a narrative, exploit the games strengths as a sandbox - as a limitless combination of gameplay possibilities. For example, this could be in the form of a soldier running through various combat zones which transition through eye blinks - engaging us as one soldier part of a larger conflict. This could easily demonstrate a great deal of the Arma content as he could board a chopper and then blink and find himself in the cockpit of an F-35. Not in a boring 'we have this, this and this' presentation, but in a creative experience enticing the audience with the message that it isn't simply another shooter. That it has endless possibilities. The 'This Is War' slogan would oddly fit nicely into this scenario. The experience of war on all fronts.

So I suppose I was wondering and hoping, will Arma3 try to lift it's game to advertise itself as something 'more'?

For a series that's not known for its marketing and overall presentation, the ArmA 2 trailer was fantastic. Sold me instantaneously. Get that guy to do it.

This one?

Honestly, not a good trailer. Just some random clips put together, doesn't show what the game is all about, don't tell anything about the campaign, MP,the scale of the whole thing or the sandbox side of it. Sure it has infantry and many vehicles but nowadays what game doesn't?

Those community guide ones kind of get them right, but are too focused on few things and too didactic, as they are suppose to be.

This is not a waste of time, a single trailer may sell or not a game. PR overload on the other hand is for few that have barely anything else to show in-game.

I feel that one huge thing that should be noted in an A3 trailer is the community and its creations released every day. The game's life expectancy is so much longer than any other game I've ever played.

A fine example is DayZ (although tbh it's not something I'd play), it brought a huge community to ArmA, extending its life in a sense that would be longer than the actual MilSim aspect of the game; and that's community content, available for free.

ok lets make a collection of community trailers that can be highlighted on the website ...

In some instances the series chases the current game graphics, so can look older than it is, which can put some players off. On the other and most important hand, the game-play is far more advanced than other games, when I say ‘far more’ that doesn’t even do it justice.

BIS have a hard job when making trailers, the old “My names whoever, follow my story†type approach (usually a US marine or SF), was pretty worn out 7-8yrs ago, but its still used. Problem is it doesn’t do this series any justice, its how to get over to players that this is different. What attracted me to the game was the editor, but what attracts each of us may be different, it’s a very hard job aiming your ads just right in such a large money driven industry, where advertising budgets are bigger, in some cases, than the whole game development budget is for other devs games.

Good first impressions are really needed to bring the revenue in, but to do that you have to avoid disappointment to buyers who may expect something it isn’t, the backlash of that can be very damaging, especially nowadays. Thinking here about casual shooter players, showing lots of explosions and frantic scenes, is not what this game is really about, so some may pick it up and be disappointed, whilst others pick it up and never put it down, those that find its true content (me included really).

Striking a balance is the hardest thing, a short trailer has to include soo much info. Someone, can’t remember who, did a great vid/trailer type thing for AIA (think it was that mod), they did flying with the numerous terrains available in the series, seamlessly from one terrain to another, which was great, it did exactly what it was meant for, showcase the mod. They could do with having a word in that vid makers ear regards a trailer..

Just had a look, it was ‘EvoMalarkey’ that did the vid, that’s what it says on Armaholic, so there you go, great vid/trailer.. Here's the link to the AH page..

BIS need to chuck Richiespeed and Litos a bung of cash, then the trailers would be epic.

ArmA1 US trailer was a lot better than ArmA2's one

Yeah, that was pretty good. Not so many ingame sounds huh?

ArmA 2 Free trailer showed off all the content, the editor, the various things you can do I thought. What was wrong with that one?

I prefer this kind of video

Same here, i guess the quietness and camera angles makes it feel more real. The absence of the overly dramatic story of one guy and his war is something i like.

Thanks to those Arma 2 Factions videos I discovered this series and bought Arma 1 right away.

I loved the style of "no comments" footage, especially ChDKZ shaky amateur video. It was so different to other hollywood crap out there.

The AAN videos were good, too, I gotta agree. How's AAN doing in the 2030's anyway? Still actively showing us footage of the war, with cameramen at Kamino Firing Range and such, interviewing troops, maybe Altis population for what's going on (Though maybe not, if Iranians in this universe are into war crimes.)

The AAN videos were good, too, I gotta agree. How's AAN doing in the 2030's anyway? Still actively showing us footage of the war, with cameramen at Kamino Firing Range and such, interviewing troops, maybe Altis population for what's going on (Though maybe not, if Iranians in this universe are into war crimes.)

Do that and you may end up fooling someone thinking that is real. AGAIN! :D

Good thing IMO.

On the other end, of a action packed trailer,

trailer was really great. One of this kind wouldn't hurt at all if you made clear that this isn't what the game is ALL about. Showing some preparation, scouting, logistics of an attack and so on...