Rebumai

Arma 3 Tutorial Request Thread

Hi all, a friend of mine recently started using BITools and Oxygen 2 to do some modelling for a ARMA 3 mod he is working on. I have put up my hand to help him out but I' am a complete and utter noob when it comes to these kinds of things as I have to used them at all and don't really know where to start. My question here is is there a in depth tutorial or guide for the complete noob out there that can help me out. I have scoured the web trying to find one but was unable to come up with anything concrete. The only tutorial I found was was a set of Youtube videos for a previous version of Oxygen 2 so that was no help.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out.

Thanks for the link M1lkm8n! Quick question will this tutorial still work for ARMA 3?

Well I'm not really that qualified as ive recently just got into the modeling side of things myself but yea it should still be fine. From what I've read the only thing missing is the physics lod for a3. Everything else should be the same. I've managed the construct of suspension bridge but I don't think that would require that lod anyway

Thanks for the link M1lkm8n! Quick question will this tutorial still work for ARMA 3?

yes. the tools for A3 aren't released anyways, and every addon released so far for A3 has been done with (some) help of O2 2.5/2.51. Note that most creators wanting to take advantange of the new vehicle physx are waiting for O3...

I'm glad you found what you're looking for.

In order to cut down on the number of tutorial request threads, I'm going to change the title of this thread to 'Tutorial Request Thread' and sticky it.

I think it would be interesting to have an in-depth tutorial on how to import a car into ArmA 3 starting with nothing but the vehicle model. I know that someone has already released source files of a working vehicle to make learning easier but nevertheless I think a tutorial about this would be quite helpful and appreciated by many people.

I think it would be interesting to have an in-depth tutorial on how to import a car into ArmA 3 starting with nothing but the vehicle model. I know that someone has already released source files of a working vehicle to make learning easier but nevertheless I think a tutorial about this would be quite helpful and appreciated by many people.

Have you seen these tutorials?

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/brsseb/tutorials.htm

One goes over how to build and bring a car into the game.

If you're just starting out in modelling then I can strongly recommend Brsseb'z Tutorials For Oxygen 2

These look old - and they are! - but 99.9% of what you'll learn in these tutorials - particularly the actual modelling stuff - is perfectly relevant today with Arma 2...

I'd skip lesson 1 - setting up the tools... it IS an OFP tutorial after all - there's more up to date guides for the new tools installation.

You might also giggle a little at the relatively simplistic texturing used back then - again, when it comes to texturing theres newer methods and newer tutorials... But for getting the basics of actual models and model rigging - these simple examples are the best place to start, especially if you're new to modelling as well as Arma / O2...

There's lessons covering, in increasing difficulty...

A box

A car

A weapon

A helicopter

A gunboat

An airplane

An Armed airplane

A house

and custom animations (like rotating radar dishes, etc)

If you work your way thru these examples you should end up with a thorough grounding in all those important little O2 and Arma-specific tricks necessary to get objects not only in-game, but functioning properly - and have some great fun in the process!

#edit#

A Great Minds Situation, I think.... M1lkm8n beat me to it with the same recommendation!

That's twice you've been told now! ;)

B

Have you seen these tutorials?

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/brsseb/tutorials.htm

One goes over how to build and bring a car into the game.

Yes, I've already imported a vehicle into ArmA 2 before. I'm just saying it would be nice to have the changes that need to be made explained by someone who fully understands it and knows how it all works with ArmA 3.

Thanks for the really good advice Bushlurker,

I've been interested in making content in Arma for a while now. Whilst I'm familiar with modelling programs (alias, 3ds max) I'm completely stumped when it comes to BIS tool sets such as oxygen 2. I've started Brsseb'z Tutorials For Oxygen 2 you showed. I've managed to do the first tutorial (crate) up to converting the file into a pbo. Unfortunately the download for the PBO tool by Ales Mlakar doesn't seem to exist anymore and I'm unable to progress further. I've downloaded PBOView & cpbo but can't seem to figure them out to get the crate in game. If you or anyone else could shed some light on the matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the really good advice Bushlurker,

I've been interested in making content in Arma for a while now. Whilst I'm familiar with modelling programs (alias, 3ds max) I'm completely stumped when it comes to BIS tool sets such as oxygen 2. I've started Brsseb'z Tutorials For Oxygen 2 you showed. I've managed to do the first tutorial (crate) up to converting the file into a pbo. Unfortunately the download for the PBO tool by Ales Mlakar doesn't seem to exist anymore and I'm unable to progress further. I've downloaded PBOView & cpbo but can't seem to figure them out to get the crate in game. If you or anyone else could shed some light on the matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The binpbo tool that is contained in the official tools is all you need to create a pbo file.

Would that program be BinPBO Personal Edition? I've tried using this but kept on getting error messages. Is there any tutorials/guides on how to use it effectively?

What sort of errors are you getting? All I have to do is press 'pack' and let it do it's thing. If you're getting errors refering to config.cpp and model.cfg then that's an issue wih your coding, not the tool :) You'd be best served to throw your config and model.cfg up on the relevant forum here and ask for help.

Whenever i press pack, i receive a 'Packing Error' dialogue box. Within it states 'Unable to copy crate.PBO to C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\common\A2 OA\addons' It doesn't refer to any .cpp or .cfg files. With the coding, I personally haven't wrote anything. The config file was provided in the download by brsseb. Thanks for the reply by the way.

This thread is for tutorial requests, it is not a help desk. If you are having problems, please use the search function to find the answer. If you can't find the answer, make a new thread. Thank you.

tutorial requests for all the arma 3 modules and documentation :)

A light animation tutorial for vehicles? I noticed I could not find any and the one off of OFPEC does not specify (Atleast I tried looking for) anything about lights and how to make them light up themself.

Hello. I would like to see a tutorial that lays out the tool chain from Blender (ArmA Toolbox for Blender) to getting a model into ArmA 3. I want to get a basic static model into ArmA 3. I know how to use Blender and have already exported a ".p3d" model. I just need to set up the "config.cpp" file. I don't want to know everything about O2. The Toolbox for Blender is meant to by pass O2 completely, but I'm prepared to go into O2 to tweak things, but only if necessary. Plus there are some basics here that have always confused me; For example what is a "P:" drive and do I really need one ?

Hello. I would like to see a tutorial that lays out the tool chain from Blender (ArmA Toolbox for Blender) to getting a model into ArmA 3. I want to get a basic static model into ArmA 3. I know how to use Blender and have already exported a ".p3d" model. I just need to set up the "config.cpp" file. I don't want to know everything about O2. The Toolbox for Blender is meant to by pass O2 completely, but I'm prepared to go into O2 to tweak things, but only if necessary. Plus there are some basics here that have always confused me; For example what is a "P:" drive and do I really need one ?

Hi Barney,

we are starting a study group on this theme. Do you want to join us and share knowledge (we can help you setting the p drive but we we need a blender expert).

Ciao,

Frank

Yes. I also would like a tutorial for how to set a config for basic static objects for arma 3.

Can somebody make a WHOLE tutorial to model a VEHICLE, get it animated, then put into ARMA 3 and using blender with O2 because it is free? This includes writing and explaining config files what,how,and why on the usage of them. There are tutorials scattered all over the net. Alot just cover one thing but fall short of explaining how to use it in game. Alot of broken links everywhere. Can we have one person start with nothing and record everything step by step and end with it in game and animated? I realize this is a big undertaking but it is sorely needed by the community and new people like me. Anybody out there willing to take this on?

• Like 1

Can somebody make a WHOLE tutorial to model a VEHICLE, get it animated, then put into ARMA 3 and using blender with O2 because it is free? This includes writing and explaining config files what,how,and why on the usage of them. There are tutorials scattered all over the net. Alot just cover one thing but fall short of explaining how to use it in game. Alot of broken links everywhere. Can we have one person start with nothing and record everything step by step and end with it in game and animated? I realize this is a big undertaking but it is sorely needed by the community and new people like me. Anybody out there willing to take this on?

I second this notion entirely and would be willing to help in any way possible.

Would be great if this were done using the shiny new Arma 3 Toolbox.

Thanks greatly to anyone who would entertain this idea!

I want tutorial how to make static animation in blender like for holding a weapon. Get it in game without geting "the thing hands and horrible distorien"

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it's of any interest.But I posted a small video about generating rtms with

a pre made rig.I think I may have mentioned it to you before in another thread.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170910-ArmaRig-for-Blender

Don't be put off by the fact it's in the A2 section.The RTMs generated by Alwarren's toolbox

work in any of the Arma series.