Sign in to follow this  
chrisb

TrackIR for Arma 3, some questions for existing users.

TrackIR for Arma 3..

Really thinking about this for Arma 3 now, I have a few questions for those who already use it.

Answers/opinions would be much appreciated.

1/ Is it only for looking around, similar to freelook, i.e. doesn’t control weapons/vehicles etc, or does it ?

2/ Does it lock into place when you bring the weapon up to the sights ?

3/ Are the functions analogue i.e. when you lean can you lean slightly (peep) ?

4/ Neck-ache, yes or no ?

5/ As Q1, if it does control weapons/vehicles etc, can you click between normal use and TIR in-game quickly ?

6/ What benefits would you say TIR has over conventional controls ?

7/ Are there any alternatives to using headphones/cap to mount the head sensor ?

8/ Does the head sensor use batteries or is it usb with a lead ?

Might add some more later as I think about it, or if you think of anything in particular to point out, that would be great..:)

Sorry if this has already been started as thread, I checked the 'Check If Already Posted' button, but nothing in the Arma 3 forum came up..

TrackIR for Arma 3..

Really thinking about this for Arma 3 now, I have a few questions for those who already use it.

1/ Is it only for looking around, similar to freelook, i.e. doesn’t control weapons/vehicles etc, or does it ?

As a controller, you can assign its axis to whatever you wish, for example I map TrackIR axis to Buldozer controls (camera).

For ironsights & collimated type sights no, for zoomed optics yes.

Yes.

No. You can calibrate the TrackIR to use more, or less, neck movements.

5/ As Q1, if it does control weapons/vehicles etc, can you click between normal use and TIR in-game quickly ?

Yes, TrackIR has a disable hotkey.

Hands free, works all the time :)

7/ Are there any alternatives to using headphones/cap to mount the head sensor ?

For the full 6DoF no.

USB with lead. Hat mounted reflector uses no batteries.

1) Yes same as num pad rotating views

2) Only for scope view

3) Yes, lean is active

4) Never experienced

5) You can set a fast pause/activation button (mine is mouse 4) or centering button (mine is mouse 5)

6) Greater Immersion feeling

7) Not thai I'm aware of

8) USB

My suggestion is that if you only use TrackIR for Arma infantry you can skip the buy, if you like flight sim or Arma birds you should take it

1. It's the same as freelook, except you can also turn your head while sighted on RDS. You can also lean and your figure does an incremental lean.

2. You can set a deadzone for the tracking so that you don't have to stay precisely still if you do not want to.

3. Everything is handled analogue.

4. You adjust as you play with it, just like with a controller = thumb pain. ;)

5. It does not control weapons, only your view moves with it.

6. Superior immersion and much better visualization of surroundings.

7. There is a cap clip which comes with the package, the headset clip is sold separately.

8. The headsensor is USB controlled, it lights your face with infra-red and the reflecting coating of your headset/ cap clip reflects the IR-lighting back to the IR sensor of the TIR 5 camera.

Gee, I sure love TrackIR 5â„¢. Why have you not purchased one yet?

Thanks guys for the answers and views, really helpful. Will wait and see if there are any views that differ, but so far it looks like I might be getting TIR5, maybe.

So there is a headset is there, you can use instead of headphones/cap ?

Thanks guys for the answers and views, really helpful. Will wait and see if there are any views that differ, but so far it looks like I might be getting TIR5, maybe.

So there is a headset is there, you can use instead of headphones/cap ?

All I can say is: TrackIR is fantastic, and if you have the money there's no reason to keep playing without headtracking HOWEVER

With Oculus Rift coming soon (a more elegant solution, arguably), the advantages of spending twice the price and getting a 3D screen which rotates which ever way you look (no need for acceleration) and very responsive headtracking will be far more worth it than TIR.

I play with the SoundBlaster Arena Headset: http://www.ingame.de/files/2010/08/creative-sound-blaster-arena-surround-foto-1.jpg and the clip works fine, even with the thickness of the plastic.

So I'd recommend you wait, if the Oculus Rift is awesome and you have the money, go for that, if you don't have the money I'm sure TIR5 prices will decrease dramatically to stay competitive. It's tough to stay patient, but in this case it's a bit of a necessity.

Don't forget (conveniently) that there's also FreeTrack - a free TrackIR alternative that is fully (natively) supported by ArmA games and can do anything that TIR can do. Occulus Rift will cost about the same as TrackIR (which is ridiculously overpriced) and it will be the weapon of choice for me. Until then, FreeTrack does everything I need.

All I can say is: TrackIR is fantastic, and if you have the money there's no reason to keep playing without headtracking HOWEVER

With Oculus Rift coming soon (a more elegant solution, arguably), the advantages of spending twice the price and getting a 3D screen which rotates which ever way you look (no need for acceleration) and very responsive headtracking will be far more worth it than TIR.

I play with the SoundBlaster Arena Headset: http://www.ingame.de/files/2010/08/creative-sound-blaster-arena-surround-foto-1.jpg and the clip works fine, even with the thickness of the plastic.

So I'd recommend you wait, if the Oculus Rift is awesome and you have the money, go for that, if you don't have the money I'm sure TIR5 prices will decrease dramatically to stay competitive. It's tough to stay patient, but in this case it's a bit of a necessity.

Well the advantage the TrackIR enjoys is that it exists, and works, right now :) Occulus Rift may be a great sounding product, but it ain't here yet, and it's not supported by BIS.

There is also an issue with the track-ir on Arma 3 right now, it's impossible to play properly when you have it. But once it will be solve, this will be awesome.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=116

I was about to refute this problem, but then I remembered I don't use a floating zone, which apparently cures it.

Thanks all who posted, for your views.

TrackIR 5 should be arriving Tuesday:), will let you know how I get on and if I need any tips.

I have been keeping an eye on the Oculus Rift for a while now, posted over in A2 forum about it, or maybe it was off topic, can't remember now. Possibly it would be something to think about when its out and available, would need to try one first, very radical change to gaming.

The FreeTrack I looked at, but the TrackIR5 system seemed pretty reasonable and I found a UK seller not too far away, so went with that.

Thanks again for the input its much appreciated, as you can tell I don’t waste too much time deciding, plenty of web reading etc, and of course the great views posted here, but I have been thinking for a while about it, just needed a nudge..

:)

Congrats! I'm about to build a Freetrack set up because of Arma 3 and am totally stoked.

One big advantage that I don't think anyone mentioned (sorry if I just missed it): Since your look is no longer bound on your mouse, looking around does not lock your weapon in place. In other words you can adjust your aim or easily maneuver around obstacles while still keeping your head on a swivel. Once you've experienced this there really is no going back (if you're playing Arma properly, hehe).

Chris, if you don't mind me asking, how much was your TrackIR5 and where did you purchase it? I've had a TrackIR3 for many years now and am considering an upgrade but at over a ton to replace a working product, I'm not sure it's worth it.

If you are getting a trackIR and don't want to wear headphones I would suggest going to your local pharmacy store or some store that carries women's hair accessories. You can purchase thin hair band or what ever they are called and clip your TrackIR Track Clip Pro to that.

I won't answer all your questions, since people have answered them allready.

There is a "free version" called freetrack, you might wan't to try it out before buying TrackIR. I did, but found it to sensitive to lighting conditions and below TrackIR standards. For getting used too and hooked to headtracking though, it helped.

Using headtracking takes some time to get used too, but quickly becomes second nature. I know that I am speaking on behalf of many trackIR users when I tell you that I've found myself turning my head around more than once while watching ARMA II videos on youtube. You get so used to it, you don't even think about it.

The only thing to keep in mind is to remember where you have the reset button. If you change position, you need to zero the device, done with F12 with the standard controls. And I promise you, once you've tried it, you will never, ever want to go back. And interestingly, even though I bought it for flying choppers, I find that I am missing it the most as infantry if I don't have it around. It really adds to the immersion, I can't even express how brilliantly it feels.

FreeTrack is pretty bad compared to FaceTrackNoIR with the Point Tracker plugin. Especially with the Accela filter.

Chris, if you don't mind me asking, how much was your TrackIR5 and where did you purchase it? I've had a TrackIR3 for many years now and am considering an upgrade but at over a ton to replace a working product, I'm not sure it's worth it.

@Tone71, pm me and I will reply with the name of the seller and details inc phone number if needed, not sure if I can mention all that on here.

I can mention it was on Amazon (UK) via one of the sellers on there, £140. TrackIR5 pro.

______

To the other reply's thanks for your posts.

I will clip the sensor on the side of my headset.

I have heard regards the light sensitive issue, but in the situation I have, it should be fine.

I enjoy all of the parts of the series, flying is great (mainly heli's), but infantry is my main play, so I'm looking forward to setting it up for that too. The fact its analogue is exciting, for leaning etc.. Will no doubt find lots of things it helps with..

Looking forward to it now..:)

FreeTrack is pretty bad compared to FaceTrackNoIR with the Point Tracker plugin. Especially with the Accela filter.

Thanks for mentioning this! I tried FaceTrackNoIR just to get a feel for head tracking, and have just gotten parts together for an IR set up, but I didn't even realize FaceTrackNoIR could use it. I'll be sure to try both now.

interesting. All I know is a Video by Dyslexci - but its a bit old now. its expensive, but I use mouse look so often - and hate it when I cant turn while looking.

But on the other hand I hate headbob in games, I get nausea from it. So how do you think will this fit to people like me though?

interesting. All I know is a Video by Dyslexci - but its a bit old now. its expensive, but I use mouse look so often - and hate it when I cant turn while looking.

But on the other hand I hate headbob in games, I get nausea from it. So how do you think will this fit to people like me though?

I'm not super susceptible, but more extreme headbob for extended periods can make me nauseous. I haven't used IR tracking yet, but I have used FaceTrackNoIR for a couple of days and didn't have any problems. The first time you use it it's a bit disorienting, but you set a dead-zone and bind a pause key so your view doesn't move around unless you want it to. Once you get it set up properly and get comfortable with it the movement is very fluid and intuitive, so I don't think it would make you nauseous unless you started to head-bang. :)

If you have a webcam I'd suggest trying out FaceTrackNoIR to see if it makes you sick. I could never get it working satisfactorily, but I got it pretty close and was able to use it (in test flights and such, never combat) to get a good feel for head tracking in games. It convinced me I had to get an IR-based set up, but I can't afford TrackIR right now so I'm trying the free alternatives first.

TrackIR for Arma 3..

you can set controls on trackir motions, but most commonly used for freelook

no, you can look around with sights up freely

yes, but in my experience it's uncomfortable

no

track ir is essencial for dogfight (all kind of planes aerobatics)

not necessary for ground vehicles and helicopters, but adds comfort.

no.

all connected together wia usb

here

track ir 5 owner

here

track ir 5 owner

Thanks @n7snk, I've ordered TIR5 and its been despatched, who excited about it....ME..:yay::o

One of the best features of TIR is that you can look around when you have your sights up. Often I will move with my sights up and angled down slightly while looking up slightly, much like you would with your weapon in a real low ready position. See a threat and a quick movement of the mouse and your head and you have sights on target. It's great for getting the drop on someone who is stuck hip firing at you.

One of the best features of TIR is that you can look around when you have your sights up. Often I will move with my sights up and angled down slightly while looking up slightly, much like you would with your weapon in a real low ready position. See a threat and a quick movement of the mouse and your head and you have sights on target. It's great for getting the drop on someone who is stuck hip firing at you.

Yeah, it's very strange taking the TIR off, this is one of the first things I notice. I, too, always run weapon down eyes up in CQB.

You will find that you try to look around in every game once you get used to them.

Most times resulting in you having a little "doh" moment to yourself.