Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

Bohemia Interactive's Head Must Be Spinning....but hey, they own Steam right now. :-)

Wow, Bohemia Interactive is getting hit with "Corrective Criticism" from every Corner of the Earth :p .... their heads must be spinning. I hope they can fix most of the minor "errors" or "adjustments" presented to them over the next few months. But we must always remember two things: 1) BIS is limited by Computer Hardware. IOW's, the technology or power is not here yet to fulfill every wish from everyone. Also, they must try to make a Simulator so the guy with the Intel Xeon / Titan system can enjoy it and so that the guy with the Intel 2 core / gtx 470 can enjoy it as well. Heck of a balancing act. 2) BIS is still a small company....there are only so many Dev's to get the job done. So few people....so little time.

Finally, BIS "owns" Steam these days. Early today, there were 3 BIS products in the Top Ten: ArmA 3 Alpha; ArmA 2: Combined Operations; ArmA 2: Complete Collection. I need to buy stock in Bohemia Interactive :D The ArmA 3 Alpha has been #1 for one week solid. Congrats, BIS.

Later days.

Oorah

From SITREP #00002

Our entire team has received a big morale boost from the positive reception of the Alpha!

:cool:

After shunning away from the first 2 installments due to low end PC hardware on my end, I finally decided to go headfirst into this one. From what I've witnessed so far has me on the edge of my seat in excitement. I've long waited for a proper shooter that made me feel like I was playing an enhanced Ghost Recon or Rainbow six (Originals) and this one is 100% on the money.

They really really do need to put optimization at the head of everything tho and break the stigma that only super powered PC's can run the game. When I mention it to anyone I know the first thing that comes out is yeah my PC is ok but hasn't ArmA always just run poorly? and they just don't even wanna bother. So far I think they did a good job; in fact, a really good job but more needs to be done and I'm hoping we see it happen.

All I can say is that I'm really impressed and if they get this right, it will be the best shooter (IMO) on PC for a long time to come.

They f#ck!ng deserve it.

+1! No 2..fuckit +3!!!

PC gamers everywhere should rejoice at this once quirky, weirdo title now taking down the titans of mediocrity!

Hope it stay that way and we'll see the community grow as much as possible

For me the Alpha is already a lot more playable than ArmA II vanilla release ever was, not to mention the practical aesthetics of the new infantry stances & game flow - tied with physics/PhysX for 1st place for the best improvement, Scuba & Diving being the third. :D

If only server CPU tech would get up-to-date - there's danger that Evo, Domi & Warfare, or any other mission, requiring more than 150 AI active at any one time, could become extinct, given current multicore (under)utilisation performance.

---------- Post added at 02:22 ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 ----------

P.S. http://www.youtube.com/user/Arma3official -- Channel went up by 10k subscribers since the 5th of March, could've been a lot higher, had they released vids during these 7 months of radio silence, but I guess overhyping can be bad as well.

add in TOH flight model and this game will be as legendary as OFP.

Shoot em up kiddies like to pretend that games like these aren't possible/popular, but the reality is there is a huge market for them that is always untouched (because it's so difficult to make these games).

If only server CPU tech would get up-to-date - there's danger that Evo, Domi & Warfare, or any other mission, requiring more than 150 AI active at any one time, could become extinct, given current multicore (under)utilisation performance.
Mind you, that's at least in part because without a dedicated server binary and unless people use the workaround posted elsewhere, said "server CPU tech" just isn't here, but rather people playing from the same computers that they're hosting from... oh no I just imagined "Arma 3 alpha using matchmaking".

2001's GOTY is a long time ago, nice to see some substantial recognition coming their way again.

This what Devs get when they develop a PC exclusive games(not console ported games)..positive reviews,positive impressions,high sales,high player base,players' respect.You're the Best Bohemia..you own my respect

in the shooter industry, not getting recognized is the best form of recognition there is. popularity is for call of duty.

+1! No 2..fuckit +3!!!

PC gamers everywhere should rejoice at this once quirky, weirdo title now taking down the titans of mediocrity!

+1. Yep. I've always considered ArmA to be the "grown up's" series, while those other "unmentionables" are for kids. When I played ArmA 2, my big thing was the Vehicles because I just didn't quite like the feel of the Mouse Controls when playing infantry. But now, ArmA 3 has me leaning toward the "Infantry" (granted, there aren't a whole lot of Vehicles so far in the Alpha) - BUT....I've been getting tickled pink going house to house taking on the enemy or Fighting in the Woods. I'm going to sink all my free time and energy into this game....I'm hooked...I love it.... and it's only the Alpha.

My only down side so far is that my PC is not very powerful and I can't enjoy Multiplayer.....my bad. I need to upgrade my rig (phenom ii x4 965; gtx 470; 8 Ram; Old Asus motherboard....and it is overclocked). I'm definitely going to get a GTX 680 in a day or so, but from there I'm not sure where to go. New Motherboard? i7? Is my 850 watt power-supply enough? and etc etc. Once I get the upgrade, then Multiplayer here I come. I'll need some "brothers in arms" to run with.....

This what Devs get when they develop a PC exclusive games(not console ported games)..positive reviews,positive impressions,high sales,high player base,players' respect.You're the Best Bohemia..you own my respect
Incorrect, this is when devs develop with PC as the lead platform. ;) This probably sounds odd, but it's been noted elsewhere that apparently BF3 only switched lead development platforms after EA got a case of "Captain Ahab WRT Moby Dick", while others have been saying that Arma 3 is what Battlefield 3 should have been. :p Plus, as we've seen, "PC" doesn't preclude "polish" -- whatever certain hipsters may believe -- and this alpha is the first time that the sandbox "combined arms shooter" concept has been paired with anywhere-near-AAA polish and enough "mainstream" gaming media hype to get people to give it a chance without having already bought into a "hardcore" mentality (though hipsters may well believe that that may itself be the problem :rolleyes: ).

Good job Bohemia Interactive indeed, I just disagree with you re: the why. ;)

going house to house taking on the enemy
Hey, didn't the hardcores use to call this "too COD" or something? :p
or Fighting in the Woods.
This one's an interesting one, as COD single-player campaigns have done "outside of buildings/urban terrain" sections plenty of times in the past, but of course those were so on-rails/corridor shooter as to not substantively explore the "possibilities" of outdoors small arms combat -- and "allowing players to explore the possibilities when paired with a solid gameplay concept" is what brings the word-of-mouth hype.

Truthbetold I wouldn't be surprised if part of your newfound affinity for "infantry" is that that's the overtly stated focus of the alpha as far as BI is concerned (while at one point the in-game text summation of Arma is Jay Crowe's forums sig verbatim :p) and that they clearly put the most work into "changing the infantry experience" and adding the underwater experience but generally left vehicles nowhere as changed from Arma 2, i.e. retaining the Arma 2 flight model for helicopters, TAB targeting and so on.

P.S. You'll be fine with a 660 Ti (what I'm running) and 850 W is more than enough for a PSU as long as it's from a reputable brand.

+1. Yep. I've always considered ArmA to be the "grown up's" series, while those other "unmentionables" are for kids.

Funny i hear the same thing other people who play X game when talking about other games they don't play :P

Chuffed to feel more brilliance coming from BIS after more than a decade of playing the series. Completely with the sentiment of this thread ++

It's amazing how well this game performs even in its Alpha state. It works better for me than ArmA 2 does.

And finally, at LAST, very solid controls. It feels less like I'm running around with a wobbly, jittery pothead and more like a focused and trained soldier. I'm also very pleased (and rather surprised) at the major improvements to collision detection while inside buildings.

AI driving however, still needs work, but seeing everything vastly improved I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually nail this too.

Their best release since OpFlashpoint by far. And damn those Ifrits look awesome.

Edited by SpecOp9

This basically. No dumbing down for consoles. Pure PC gaming. Awesome and shows in sells.

Incorrect, this is when devs develop with PC as the lead platform. ;) This probably sounds odd, but it's been noted elsewhere that apparently BF3 only switched lead development platforms after EA got a case of "Captain Ahab WRT Moby Dick", while others have been saying that Arma 3 is what Battlefield 3 should have been. :p Plus, as we've seen, "PC" doesn't preclude "polish" -- whatever certain hipsters may believe -- and this alpha is the first time that the sandbox "combined arms shooter" concept has been paired with anywhere-near-AAA polish and enough "mainstream" gaming media hype to get people to give it a chance without having already bought into a "hardcore" mentality (though hipsters may well believe that that may itself be the problem :rolleyes: ).

Good job Bohemia Interactive indeed, I just disagree with you re: the why. ;)Hey, didn't the hardcores use to call this "too COD" or something? :pThis one's an interesting one, as COD single-player campaigns have done "outside of buildings/urban terrain" sections plenty of times in the past, but of course those were so on-rails/corridor shooter as to not substantively explore the "possibilities" of outdoors small arms combat -- and "allowing players to explore the possibilities when paired with a solid gameplay concept" is what brings the word-of-mouth hype.

Truthbetold I wouldn't be surprised if part of your newfound affinity for "infantry" is that that's the overtly stated focus of the alpha as far as BI is concerned (while at one point the in-game text summation of Arma is Jay Crowe's forums sig verbatim :p) and that they clearly put the most work into "changing the infantry experience" and adding the underwater experience but generally left vehicles nowhere as changed from Arma 2, i.e. retaining the Arma 2 flight model for helicopters, TAB targeting and so on.

P.S. You'll be fine with a 660 Ti (what I'm running) and 850 W is more than enough for a PSU as long as it's from a reputable brand.

In my opinion.

Thinking about if things are "too cod" goes against what ArmA should be about. Such elitist behavior is toxic and it only hurts the community. (I'm not saying this about you.)

Play the way you want to play in this fantastic military sandbox. May it be CQC or huge events, it is up to you. There is no superior way of playing ArmA, at least there shouldn't be. There should be something here for every taste out there in this heavily mod-supported game. (Unless you want to get spoon-fed.)

They f#ck!ng deserve it.

Amen,grats BIS nice too see em bare some fruits from the last yr or so of god knows what, but long road ahead but sure it's a road we all glad to travel with em on.

Who knows maybe... ArmA3 GOTY 2013. They did it once...they can do it again.

Followed Bohemia interactive since the operation flashpoint demo - own all of theyre products in the arma series. There is and never will be a game series like this - no other community like this - Bet codemasters are banging theyre heads against the wall right now:)

Mind you, that's at least in part because without a dedicated server binary and unless people use the workaround posted elsewhere, said "server CPU tech" just isn't here, but rather people playing from the same computers that they're hosting from... oh no I just imagined "Arma 3 alpha using matchmaking".

Bite your tounge "oh no I just imagined "Arma 3 alpha using matchmaking"."

For me the single most important thing from here to launch is that they dedicate people to minimize hacking, I can live with a wonky game but I can't play a game filled with hackers.