Sign in to follow this  
On_Sabbatical

TAB lock issue ...

correct me if i'm wrong, but that is not thermal infrared but 780nm+ infrared light fused with visible light and / or thermal infrared.

that mean that constraints of visible light photography apply to the "clear" part, while constraints of thermography apply to the heat-detecting aspect. I guess that is why they promote it as "Day Sensor".

*edit* now i've seen the second video. this also looks like a fusion of thermal infrared and "optical" infrared. if that's the case, constraints of both sensors would still apply independently. the result looks quite good and "clean" though. i would like to see some more footage of this FLIR 2.0.

Edited by twistking

Yep you are correct - it's fused images - 1st one is day/flir, 2nd video is LLLTV and flir at night. It also combines LW and MW infra-red.

It's the Arrowhead program for updating the AH-64 sensor suite. It's present on the AH-64E model. It uses overlaping images from FLIR, TV and low light TV sensors in both day and night modes to get more sharpness. Good luck finding details - I can't find much on how it works for obvious reasons but the images seem much clearer and sharper compared to what we are used to seeing and work at longer ranges.

The 1st video is from the target system, 2nd video is from the pilotage system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Arrowhead

ELEC_Arrowhead_Sensors_lg.jpg

Edited by Mattar_Tharkari

Myke;2334557']Fairchild Republic A-10 was produced from 1975 to 1986' date=' not what i would call "state-of-the-art" technology. No doubt, a powerful and deadly plane but we're speaking about technology.
The A10C, as is represented in DCS, is nicely upgraded with all sorts of nifty gizmo's and gadgets. "Technology" pur sang! The original A10 you find in lomac, yes, that's the eighties plane you're probably talking about.

Indeed, and what you see in DCS isn't even the current suite.

The FLIR pod I currently use is state of the art. Mattar, the one you're showing looks ancient to me. The plane I fly was rolled off the assembly line in 2006, which for military aircraft is considered very new. Our pod is just as clear and crisp as what you see in game, if not more (On a day of low humidity, no clouds, and no air pollution) we are limited only by LOS and our zoom. The biggest annoyance are clouds, if they're not the whispy type (meaning their thick) they actually block FLIR. What sort of detail do we see? Well, from 20,000 feet we have no problem zooming in and observing people.

If BIS could develop low level clouds that would be interesting.

I understand that fusing FLIR and "optical" infrared or even fusing FLIR with visible light gives you that very sharp, detailed video feed, but wouldn't that also decrease the heat-detecting possibilities of FLIR? If you look at the videos by Mattar, it seems, that heat-sources like cars or the helicopter (second video) stand out much less, compared to classic "thermal only" FLIR.

So i would guess, this is not a "successor" of classic FLIR, but more of an added feature that makes it more versatile.

However, typically, there are well defined areas of operation, areas where anything inside is is considered enemy, or friendly, or neutral, or a mix of the three. Anything in the first area is free pickings. This is why so many blue-on-blue incidents happen - people go places they arent supposed to be, either through ignorance of the areas, or lack of skills (typically, map reading skills).

I tried to make the case for possible ingame friendly fire incidents based on appearing in enemy-heavy areas or (more succinctly) unexpectedly appearing in an enemy vehicle. Most people didn't like the idea of being targeted by friendly AI because of stupid activity :)

I tried to make the case for possible ingame friendly fire incidents based on appearing in enemy-heavy areas or (more succinctly) unexpectedly appearing in an enemy vehicle. Most people didn't like the idea of being targeted by friendly AI because of stupid activity :)

But realism? :smirk:

Could we maybe get a statement from a dev about the tab-lock issue? A lot of people are trying to show the problems and make suggestions how to improve the current situation, but at least i don't know the devs thoughts about it?

Is it even known in your studio?

Do you care about it?

Are there plans to do anything about it in arma 3?

or after the release?

Don't you like the alternatives?

Is this RMB lock still in plans? I'm reading this axed features thread and am pretty desperate, knowing that this feature belongs there as well very likely :/. But at least say something, i have no clue what is going on concerning this issue!

As a second question to BIS: How do you think about the gameplay of arma? Is it something you actively care about? Is there a BIS member designing the gameplay? Or do you say that you don't want to care about it and leave it to modders?

"Lock is now independent from zoom" on the dev branch, otherwise no change (publicly). In any case, based on interpretation of a number of devs' comments regarding A3 development, such as this (on AI changes), even if there is a planned fix is WIP and intended for dev branch it would seem that at best it's just not ready for primetime yet.

Could we maybe get a statement from a dev about the tab-lock issue?

They don't generally reply to rude posts.

@ Die neunte Seele

Check post #78. I doubt very much anything has changed till today.

i'm sorry, i did not want to sound rude, i just would like to get some information if they are aware of the problem and how they handle gameplay design :/

thx @ Chortles, kju

They don't reply at all when it comes to the targetting things ... besides,when i point the moon,i'd like people to see it, not my finger !

BIS has never said anything concerning the targetting system !! it was asked in many ways ... without mentioning the numerous tickets created and alternatives/solutions made by the community !

make a post about this on the issue tracker. I'd really like it if BI make something similar to mando for everything. It would start forcing people to use a gunner.

make a post about this on the issue tracker. I'd really like it if BI make something similar to mando for everything. It would start forcing people to use a gunner.

Please see here and here!

They don't reply at all when it comes to the targetting things ... besides,when i point the moon,i'd like people to see it, not my finger !

BIS has never said anything concerning the targetting system !! it was asked in many ways ... without mentioning the numerous tickets created and alternatives/solutions made by the community !

I'm sure they are aware of them, and if they aren't replying it's because they have nothing to say about it at this time. Yelling at them to reply won't help you, or posting snyde rhetoric about how they 'obviously don't care about realism or gameplay'.

Pretty much what Max Power said -- there may be well a solution in the pipeline, but if we're not seeing it then (based on some of the dev comments before) that would be because it's not good enough yet for public testing, and (thanks to the "Axed" thread) there's a lot of hedging-bets and "no promises!" from devs lately, basically trying to avoid letting people get their hopes up. ;)

Could we maybe get a statement from a dev about the tab-lock issue? A lot of people are trying to show the problems and make suggestions how to improve the current situation, but at least i don't know the devs thoughts about it?

Is it even known in your studio?

Do you care about it?

Are there plans to do anything about it in arma 3?

or after the release?

Don't you like the alternatives?

Is this RMB lock still in plans? I'm reading this axed features thread and am pretty desperate, knowing that this feature belongs there as well very likely :/. But at least say something, i have no clue what is going on concerning this issue!

As a second question to BIS: How do you think about the gameplay of arma? Is it something you actively care about? Is there a BIS member designing the gameplay? Or do you say that you don't want to care about it and leave it to modders?

Yes, this problem is known, we agree it is a problem, we care about it and we want to improve it.

Also we know about mando missiles and how awesome it is .

Unfortunately as you can see, whole missile locking is very complex technolgy and if we want to do it properly it needs some time. So I'm really sorry but I cannot tell you when we will be able to deliver some better solution.

All I can promise you is that with release our work will not stop.

Yes, this problem is known, we agree it is a problem, we care about it and we want to improve it.

Unfortunately as you can see, whole missile locking is very complex technolgy and if we want to do it properly it needs some time. So I'm really sorry but I cannot tell you when we will be able to deliver some better solution.

Thank you very much for the answer :)

You let the hopes stay alive :)

Is it possible to share with us the complications of getting rid of the current TAB lock ? i think that the AI is the major obstacle ,but i don't know if there are other big issues !

Thank you very much for the info. If you need further inspiration for a good solution that is authentic, yet accessible have a look at this little article i wrote. I try to keep it updated with community feedback!

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?158384-The-community-s-definite-suggestion-for-better-heli-immersion-and-guided-weapon-FCS

Keep up the good work!

Is it possible to share with us the complications of getting rid of the current TAB lock ? i think that the AI is the major obstacle ,but i don't know if there are other big issues !

You're right in that the AI is possibly one of the complicating factors, whatever solution is implemented needs to be usable by the AI (like the helicopter FMs for example).

But also it's a matter of programming I think, as awesome as Mando's missiles are, they are a scripted solution and the proper fix would be an engine solution.

There is also play without AI, or just human controlled AI. And there is game/difficulty settings for a reason.

In addition it is not like AI currently has various flaws, unfair advantages and not working along the lines of human interaction.

So all in all AI is a poor/non argument here. Several dedicated people have gathered many excellent specific improvement suggestions in the CIT along the lines what Ondrej/Suma was asking for - and he did also make many improvements and fixes for AI as a result. So again AI as an excuse is just wrong.

The fact is that the A3 team completely disregarded the input from the CIT for A3 sadly. Very bad planning and decision making in the earlier phases of A3 development.

At least the current leadership is trying to improve things now..

We already have laser locking. All it needs is improvement for better usability (better stabilization from aircraft and teach the AI to point it at targets properly and target it wisely, even if they have to cheat a little bit). There really is no reason for magic radar locking for aircraft that has no radar.

Just give us the tools to let us do it. BIS doesn't have the time or the resources to add in the good stuff. You have to let us jobless hobos in the community do it. :p Specifically in regards to these problems, it'd be nice to have render to texture canvases for easily implementing overlays in models (so we can add advanced MFD functionality to existing models using named selections or some other definition).

ACE improves upong this in a number of ways, especially laser guided weapons, with probably one of the best laser guided weapons simulations in any game (arguably better than DCS).

But yea, BIS, give us the tools, hacking in stuff is fun and a challenge that is often worth the reward, but sometimes you just want the game to get on top while you lay there and make sweet sweet SQF loving to it.