Sign in to follow this  
kroky

POLL: Do you play ArmAII with ACE2 always on?

Do you play ArmA II with ACE2 always on?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play ArmA II with ACE2 always on?

• No, I use ACE2 only with missions made for it
    • Yes, I start ArmA II always with ACE2 on
    • Yes, I start ArmA II always with ACE + ASR_AI on

Sorry guys but I must reply :D

1. Choice 3. should be removed as the ASR_AI is not related to ACE and IMHO totally unrelated to the question.

2. Ther should be a "I don't use ACE at all" choice, as previously mentioned by Bars91 on Page 2 comment 13.

I bet at least 50% of the voters of choice 1 don't use ACE at all so I would make a new poll to be honest.

"No Ace at all"

"Only with missions made for it"

"Yes, always"

That's pretty clear to anybody IMHO. Or even just "Yes" and "No".

I don't even know why there are still answers like "Hell no". I've spoken to some ACE "haters" and it quickly turned out they simply didn't know what ACE is and does at all. Some were really impressed when they noticed the differences, new and enhanced things, items and so on. In my opinion it just makes Arma much more realistic and this is exactly what I want, a realistic feeling. I think more people should give it a try.

That's funny, because ACE rather doesn't make missions unplayable, while ASR_AI does sometimes. (Try to play Lions of Kandahar with ASR_AI and TPWCAS, you will find out it, some missions simply don't work).

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Obviously, not at all.

And yeah, I said "Only missions that require it". If a mission really makes use of the ACE features, it's great, but a lot of the features in ACE I personally find too much (Is the tail-rotor damage still in ? I remember a lot of AI being killed by the tail rotor when disembarking from certain choppers).

By the way, for those who always play with ACE: How do you handle incompatibilities ? For example, the strength of some anti tank weapons is reduced in ACE, so if a mission only gives you basically one shot for an AT and that doesn't destroy the target, then what ? Or some machine gunner that doesn't have earplugs ?

Yes this is an interesting argument. Usually I really like missions which with ACE are incompatible. It makes me think a lot more, to find out how to finish the mission anyway. In 99% of the cases I will find a way :)

But there are some very simply remedies for this, if this is too hard:

- ASR appendix (with additional ammo, medic stuff, etc.)

- KRON_supportcall (where you can call in anything you miss and can't finish the mission)

Yes, always. It's a requirement with those I play with.

That's funny, because ACE rather doesn't make missions unplayable...

Sure it does. It just depends on how the mission is made, what scripting commands are used throughout the mission etc. ACE can break a vanilla mission very easily. That's from first hand experience. The last instance I could think of, is when I used an canMove check for a vehicle. Turns out, I had to use ace_canmove for the mission to work correctly, Just to check if a vehicle has the ability to move... And that's just one small example.

I don't even know why there are still answers like "Hell no". I've spoken to some ACE "haters" and it quickly turned out they simply didn't know what ACE is and does at all.

The guy who replied "hell no" is omac, and I'm pretty sure he knows all about ace & how it works :). Now, I didn't reply "hell no", but I could have very easily aswell... ;) Hell no!

On another note. I don't think anyone argues that ace enhances the experience in the game. The reason alot don't use it, is a combination of other things I'd rather not discuss & derail this thread even further.

Edited by Iceman77

There pretty straight forward the answers; 1=No, 2=Yes or 3=Yes.

I voted already, don’t think anyone is really an Ace hater, its only a mod after all..:p

I used Ace for a good while, but sometimes its nice to change to something else. I don’t run Ace now, but I have lots of other mod’s running to enhance the gaming experience. Just whatever you want to play at the time.

I make my own missions, so I make them to suit whichever setup I want really..:)

Well there isn't any "no i don't use ace" option. All three assume you use ace at some point or another. 1) only if a mission is made for it 2) yes always 3) yes always with asr. There needs to be a "no not at all" option :p

I voted already, don’t think anyone is really an Ace hater, its only a mod after all..tongue.png

I wouldn't go that far :). Personally, I think the mod is good. But I don't use it for other reasons... That isn't suitable for this thread or these forums for that matter.

Edited by Iceman77

Sure it does. It just depends on how the mission is made, what scripting commands are used throughout the mission etc. ACE can break a vanilla mission very easily. That's from first hand experience. The last instance I could think of, is when I used an canMove check for a vehicle. Turns out, I had to use ace_canmove for the mission to work correctly, Just to check if a vehicle has the ability to move... And that's just one small example.

The guy who replied "hell no" is omac, and I'm pretty sure he knows all about ace & how it works :). Now, I didn't reply "hell no", but I could have very easily aswell... ;) Hell no!

On another note. I don't think anyone argues that ace enhances the experience in the game. The reason alot don't use it, is a combination of other things I'd rather not discuss & derail this thread even further.

Ok, but this is (as I understand) from the view of a mission maker. As an user (mission player) I don't have to worry about canMove check I think?

You must worry about it as a non-ACE mission might use it and the mission might not play out as intended.

Plenty of ACE missions out there and its "easy" to make your own missions so its not really a problem I think. I see it as a bonus if a mission works ok when using different mods that alter gameplay, I never expect a perfect play if I alter the main game.

Ok, but this is (as I understand) from the view of a mission maker. As an user (mission player) I don't have to worry about canMove check I think?

Yes this still effects you, as a "player". If you download and play someones (non-ace) custom mission, then it depends on what commands, how the person has built the mission. IE; Does he use (now) invalid commands in his mission?

Edited by Iceman77

Its interesting how this poll is developing - first we had a majority of people saying they use ACE only when missions are designed for it. The longer the poll is lasting the more the ,I always use ACE, faction is gaining. Right now its

19 FEB 2013

54 percent - always with ACE (and sometimes ASR)

46 percent - only for missions designed or never

lets see how this develops further

(I have a weird problem not being able use percent and other special signs on my keyboard...)

Edited by Kroky
double post

Kroky have you an "all missions must/should have ACE compatibility" agenda going on or why can't you figure out that its up to everyone own preference to use what he likes? Btw actually I see 33 people (~44%) voted for #1 and 22 people (~29%) for #2 and 19 people (~25%) for #3. Maybe something is up with the forum or you need to visit a doctor?

:) I have visited the doctor and guess what he told me: You need ACE2 twice a day...:)

just joking, but I would like to find out how many people find that ACE2 has become standard and play always with this mod on.

56% because #2 and #3 are both with ACE2. And yes this poll isn't how it should be since there is no option: I never use ACE2.

The problem is: once you set up a poll, you can't change it anymore. So I wait for a while and then maybe in some weeks I set up again a more fair poll like:

1. never use ACE2

2. always use ACE2

3. use ACE2 only when the mission is designed for it

sure thing i do, not always, but 90% of time i do play arma in singleplayer or coop with friends. ACE brings really awesome experience into the game, asr ai + blastcore and ofcourse J.S.R.S 1.5, all together offers an incredible realistic game experience! :)

Kroky so this thread/poll is rather pointless and the result is somewhat biased because there are two options to vote/support the ACE faction? Why don't you ask a moderator to close + lock it?

Kroky so this thread/poll is rather pointless and the result is somewhat biased because there are two options to vote/support the ACE faction? Why don't you ask a moderator to close + lock it?

Uh, no? We can only vote for one option, so the only bias is a cosmetic one that momentarily makes vanilla look like it's ahead.

i used to use ace, but now i don't

Why?

I like ACE but I also like to play with other mods like CWR2, or Vanilla plus ASR,TPWCAS, JSRS Blastcore.

Why?

I like ACE but I also like to play with other mods like CWR2, or Vanilla plus ASR,TPWCAS, JSRS Blastcore.

Because after awhile, you get tired of the headaches. The bugs (like vanilla isn't buggy enough). Sometimes, you just want to sit down and play arma, not fuck around with ace and/or acre for 30 minutes before hand, and then another 30 minutes when you get into the game. Also, this may come as a suprise to alot, ACE isn't the end all of mods!

Edited by Iceman77

Iceman it's really not like that. You run six updater, you download and it automatically installs everything. You start the game using six updater. Problems? What problems?

The load times might be slightly longer, but it's not 30 minutes longer. I think that's a bit over dramatic.

Because after awhile, you get tired of the headaches. The bugs (like vanilla isn't buggy enough). Sometimes, you just want to sit down and play arma, not fuck around with ace and/or acre for 30 minutes before hand, and then another 30 minutes when you get into the game. Also, this may come as a suprise to alot, ACE isn't the end all of mods!

I know on my end, ACE solves a lot more problems than it causes. No bugs that I can think of that adversely affect the larger game, just a few features (optional ones) that aren't quite complete or don't always work.

And ACE is the be-all end-all, in the sense that it's a total conversion, which is almost impossible to give up once you've started, and the baseline for most people's compatibility concerns. It's status is a common phenomenon in the modding scenes of various games, with a lot of analogous counterparts.

Iceman it's really not like that. You run six updater, you download and it automatically installs everything. You start the game using six updater. Problems? What problems?

The load times might be slightly longer, but it's not 30 minutes longer. I think that's a bit over dramatic.

Yeah I know all about six updater and pws, I've used both of them extensively. I've spent plenty of hours running ace, as ace is all I used to play with. 30 minutes isn't over dramatic at all. First, lets keep SU updated by reinstalling nearly every time you use the program.Then let's hope the installation didn't get corrupted, or that the program isn't presenting any problems since said update. Then lets hope that with the newly updated ace (which used to get updated nearly every day), your config isn't "out of date". Then lets hope they don't release a "fix" for said update 5 min later. Then lets sit in base and fiddle with acre radios, and wait for others to fiddle with radios.

Sometimes, when you get home from working alot of hours, you just want to play. Sometimes, you want to say the hell with acre & your head set. Sometimes you just want to lay your headset down, sit back and relax, crank your speakers up and play. Not deal with all of the bs. But 99% of the time you can't do that since it's mandatory for most servers. So either deal with acre, or spend time looking for another server that uses ace but not acre. Sometimes... You don't want to jump through these hoops. Believe it or not, others feel the same way. Now, I'm not gonna deny,pws is smooth and ace doesn't get updated as often. but all of the above left a bad taste and I can't be bothered any longer... that's my 2c :)

I know on my end, ACE solves a lot more problems than it causes. No bugs that I can think of that adversely affect the larger game, just a few features (optional ones) that aren't quite complete or don't always work.

And ACE is the be-all end-all, in the sense that it's a total conversion, which is almost impossible to give up once you've started, and the baseline for most people's compatibility concerns. It's status is a common phenomenon in the modding scenes of various games, with a lot of analogous counterparts.

It's the end all of bugs & headaches mods? That's your opinion :). My opinion, after logging hundreds of hours playing the mod, is that it's a good mod. But, see above why I personally don't use it any longer. Also, ace isn't the only total conversion mod :)

Edited by Iceman77

Quantity of bugs and stability isn't really a matter of opinion, mate. Individual tolerance for it is. And I see ACE fixing their bugs at about fifty times the rate BIS does.

Also, what are other TC mods? Besides zombies and star wars, I mean.

I pick your words apart only for conversation sake, not to pick on you. We've all felt get annoyed with hoop jumping, and it can last 30 min. long. But, this about ACE not acre, or servers.

Believe it or not, others feel the same way.
Yes, this is true, and you should be able to find them. Everyone who plays arma can put up with alot of crap and then happily run 2klicks to see a bunny and a OPFOR armor humping a tree. And it does build up on a person with consecutive nights of BS.

The past couple nights i've felt like just playing, and just getting into some action, so i've played the (ACE) moscow bombing file mission, with friends. It just would not have been near as much fun blowing shit up and eachother without ACE. I like the ideas of ACRE, and ACE wounds, but they still do feel incomplete or problematic or paininmyassish.

I don't think ace gets enough credit for the core components.

I hope you return to ACE sometime. Until then, enjoy the feeling of AVE = airsoft vanilla environment. ;)

Edited by PlacidPaul