Sign in to follow this  
abs

Г�З-2975 Тигр (GAZ Tigr)

Wehh :D Nice tiger, this will add a lot of dimension to the game a lot better than the UAZ :D

Top work so far (y)

Regards astast

Thanks for all the nice comments, folks. It really helps with the motivation to keep going. November was a particularly busy month, as in real life I had two massive projects to close out for work (one of which finishes this weekend). After that I'll have a significant amount of free time to work on finishing up the interior. In order to keep me on track, I've decided to hold myself to weekly updates, much like RKSL-Rock does, but not as in-depth (How do you have the time to write so much? I love your updates, though.)

Anyway, this week I had a little bit of time to work on adding a few details. The biggest detail is the hatches on the roof. You might say "Hatches aren't a big detail!" and you'd be right, save for the fact that everything that needs to be done on the outside has now officially been done. Here's what it looks like now:

BVsoT.jpg

Here's a closer look at the detail:

9JJhI.jpg

As I mentioned, the outside is now completely complete. It's all been UV mapped, and yesterday I sent it off to Topas. He'll start texturing soon, and hopefully I won't be the only one you'll be seeing updates from.

When you do see updates from me, though, it'll mostly be about the interior. Like I said, I was fairly busy this week, so I didn't have too much time to work on the inside. That console is a proper bitch to model, but I've gotten much of the hard parts out of the way. Here is the current state, though.

G87kJ.jpg

Expect more updates next week!

Abs

Edited by Abs

Looks great!

May i ask with what model you are modeling and what method you are using? Box modeling, plane modeling or another?

Looks great!

May i ask with what model you are modeling and what method you are using? Box modeling, plane modeling or another?

To be honest, there are so many different configurations for the Tigr that this one is a bit of a mish-mash. Originally, it was meant to be one with a turret so I had based it on this. Later, it was asked that I make it into just a cargo version so that's why I added the hatches. The interior is based on reference photos of the one with the turret, as well as the OMON version. Also, I do have to guess at how some parts look, so like I said...it's a bit of a mish-mash.

My modelling process is outlined here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?128036-Tutorial-How-to-make-vehicle-models-for-ARMA2-using-3DS-Max

Abs

I do visit Europe once in a while. Sounds like I'll have to ring you the next time I'm there.

To be quite honest, I was inspired by your Iveco. I saw it after I started this model, but yours is a thing of beauty, too.

You come over to the UK and I'll hump your leg* if you let me use that in IAP :P

That's a bit embarrassing really I've never liked the Iveco model. That's why I recently remade a lot of if :(

*Only a dry, non-sexual, comic way for the absolute minimum time needed.

One thing I learned is that you can spend a lot of time on detail it is never possible to see. The seat mounts on the floor will probably never be visible by the player under any circumstances. Sometimes putting stuff like that in is good for getting the proportion and placement of other parts, but don't go too crazy on details below the dashboard until you have an idea of what the player's body is occluding etc or else you might be doing a feature on 'what you may have missed on the GAZ Tigr'.

Sorry for picking on Max's post here. But the trick is finding the right balance. On one of the APCs I did recently I went all out on a pilot view and cut the model back to the minimum i needed for the Driver's view. But I had forgotten about the Passenger and cargo's views. I ended up wasting a tonne of time remaking parts and adding detail to so the cargo view didnt just look empty. So just have a sit down and plan what you are going to do properly. You can always remove unseen faces later.

...In order to keep me on track, I've decided to hold myself to weekly updates, much like RKSL-Rock does, but not as in-depth (How do you have the time to write so much? I love your updates, though.)

Let me be perfectly honest... I find myself regretting the decision to do a weekly update sometimes. Hell, most weeks actually :) But it is a fantastic driver to keep me going when my motivation starts to wane. Having said that you would not believe the amount of work I've managed to get done as a result.

As for finding the "time to write so much", insomnia. That's it, sat up at 4am in strange hotel rooms while working away. But most are written between 1800 and 2100 on the actual night.

It looks good mate. I am really looking forward to this.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Sorry for picking on Max's post here. But the trick is finding the right balance. On one of the APCs I did recently I went all out on a pilot view and cut the model back to the minimum i needed for the Driver's view. But I had forgotten about the Passenger and cargo's views. I ended up wasting a tonne of time remaking parts and adding detail to so the cargo view didnt just look empty. So just have a sit down and plan what you are going to do properly. You can always remove unseen faces later.

That's a good point, and you can remove unseen faces, I think both of our points is to be aware to try to minimize the amount of work that will be wasted. If you need to add detail, you are doing work you already needed to do in the first place. Having to remake things after you're already texturing, though, is definitely a really bad place to be in. If you add detail no one can see, you're modelling / uv unwrapping / texturing / dedicating rendering resources to something no audience even knows is there. Careful planning would definitely ensure that neither scenario occurs, and a good way to plan would be to try to figure out what the player can see, where his body will be in the cockpit, etc.

edit: and I'm confused at what you mean by 'picking on' my post. I wasn't telling him not to model things he needs to model :p The problem with my project is also that it lacked balance.

Edited by Max Power

Nicely done, Abs. Im looking forward to see this bolshoi beast ingame :)

edit: and I'm confused at what you mean by 'picking on' my post.

I meant that out of all the comments to quote it was yours that i picked on to highlight the point. i could have used others. Nothing sinister was meant or implied.

Edited by RKSL-Rock
5000 monkeys and one Ape typed this so the spelling and gramar are suspect.

Oh, I didn't think there was anything sinister. I was just wondering if I missed your point.

Hey abs Truely great work so far :D

But one question, Since there is a interior model and an exterior model we won't have the possibility to open the doors?

Sad about that there won't be a gun on it but it won't matter at all :D

Regards astast.

You come over to the UK and I'll hump your leg* if you let me use that in IAP :P

That's a bit embarrassing really I've never liked the Iveco model. That's why I recently remade a lot of if :(

*Only a dry, non-sexual, comic way for the absolute minimum time needed.

Let me be perfectly honest... I find myself regretting the decision to do a weekly update sometimes. Hell, most weeks actually :) But it is a fantastic driver to keep me going when my motivation starts to wane. Having said that you would not believe the amount of work I've managed to get done as a result.

As for finding the "time to write so much", insomnia. That's it, sat up at 4am in strange hotel rooms while working away. But most are written between 1800 and 2100 on the actual night.

It looks good mate. I am really looking forward to this.

Thanks again for the kind words, Rock! I can't wait to see how your Iveco turns out. As for IAP, I'm not the only one working on this addon and it is being made for RHS, so I think it would be best to ask Soul Assassin as he's the de facto leader of the mod. You've got my blessings, though.

...and no sleep? What a brilliant idea! I'd have so much time to do all that I wanted! ;)

Nicely done, Abs. Im looking forward to see this bolshoi beast ingame :)

Me too! I'm sure we'll have some screens up soonTM.

Hey abs Truely great work so far :D

But one question, Since there is a interior model and an exterior model we won't have the possibility to open the doors?

Sad about that there won't be a gun on it but it won't matter at all :D

Thanks! Since open doors don't really add much to the game, in my humble opinion, I don't usually add them to my models. Also, a quick side note, even if there were doors, models usually have a low poly interior for LOD0 (when you're looking at the vehicle from the outside), and a higher poly interior for the cargo lod (when you're inside the vehicle)...it would still require both of these models.

Also, I said "We'll see.TM" when it comes to the gun. Once I finish with this model, perhaps me or perhaps someone else in RHS will make the MG/GL version.

Abs

Also, I said "We'll see.TM" when it comes to the gun. Once I finish with this model, perhaps me or perhaps someone else in RHS will make the MG/GL version.

Abs

Ahh i see sorry for that little snag ;)

Regards

It's a little late now and you've probably already discovered them yourself, but I found a website with some blueprints of the Tigr on it. These may still be helpful.

GAZ-2330_Tigr_wheeled_armoured_vehicle_Russia_Russian_line_drawing_blueprint_001.jpg

http://www.armyrecognition.com/russia_russian_army_wheeled_armoured_vehicle_uk/tigr_gaz-2330_military-industrial_company_technical_data_sheet_specifications_information_uk.html

By the way: I'm really looking forward to this vehicle, you're doing a great job!

Mate great work, and if manage to get it math ingame Russian camo then it will be priceless addon. >>>зверь<<<

Mate great work, and if manage to get it math ingame Russian camo then it will be priceless addon. >>>зверь<<<

It's not been official (well, guess it is now), but the vehicle is now in my paint shop. Several camo varieties are planned (including Militia etc. etc.) and I have already started preliminary works, but expected progress will be moderate due to involvement in RL issues. Will try to have it completed before Christmas though.

It's not been official (well, guess it is now), but the vehicle is now in my paint shop. Several camo varieties are planned (including Militia etc. etc.) and I have already started preliminary works, but expected progress will be moderate due to involvement in RL issues. Will try to have it completed before Christmas though.

WoooW :D that will make a very fine christmas present of the community, looking forward to see this piece of art get some texture ;)

Regards astast

It's a little late now and you've probably already discovered them yourself, but I found a website with some blueprints of the Tigr on it. These may still be helpful.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/images/stories/east_europe/russia/wheeled_armoured/tigre/GAZ-2330_Tigr_wheeled_armoured_vehicle_Russia_Russian_line_drawing_blueprint_001.jpg

http://www.armyrecognition.com/russia_russian_army_wheeled_armoured_vehicle_uk/tigr_gaz-2330_military-industrial_company_technical_data_sheet_specifications_information_uk.html

By the way: I'm really looking forward to this vehicle, you're doing a great job!

Thank you! You're right, it is a little late. ;) Good news is that those are the blueprints I used for the vehicle. Thanks for the armyrecognition link though....I hadn't seen that before. :)

Topas should have something to show us this month. :) I'm exctied for this too!

I can't wait to see what you come up with, Topas! :bounce3::yay:

===

Anyway, here is the latest WIP picture. I was away this past weekend on work so I was really too busy to do much. Getting the sizing of the objects can be a bit difficult, but still, I think that it is coming along quite nicely and I hope to work on it quite a bit this upcoming weekend.

k4hP7.jpg

Abs

great work abs ;)

What this guy said. I love the details you have/are putting in this!

Throw abs and topas together and you're bound to get something special out of it... that or a very strange love child.

Abs is getting some strange love outta this project..first rock now topas..

Throw abs and topas together and you're bound to get something special out of it... that or a very strange love child.
Abs is getting some strange love outta this project..first rock now topas..

You guys are starting to creep me out. ;)

Abs

The interior is shaping up very nicely abs, nice work :)

You guys are starting to creep me out. ;)

Abs

Hehe, lets hope they woun't find out the screens of other "new" rhs projects...

Looking good Abs, stay on it, you are on the right direction ;)

Hehe, lets hope they woun't find out the screens of other "new" rhs projects...

Looking good Abs, stay on it, you are on the right direction ;)

Other new projects?

I wasn't aware of any myself ;) :p