Sign in to follow this  
mrcash2009

Hurricane Sandy - News / Comments / Facts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20117005

Hurricane Sandy: New York City transit suspended

I notice this may (or may not) be a big thing seeing as they are looking to close the N.Y Transit system, Just wondered if those close to all of this have there view on it and whats been done as regards more "on the ground" local responses/reports for those here who are directly effected.

Fancy elaborating your point here Hans? Do you require an audience with your third person comment? Just minor point of after the fact, post event and so on.

Did you honestly think I posted this as if someone stood mid hurricane was trying to get a signal outside to post a reply from a smart phone? Dear me.

Edited by mrcash2009

Well that's why if people know of people who frequent here that have more its interesting to see on the ground comments as opposed to just media feeds, well, that was the idea anyway.

Well that's why if people know of people who frequent here that have more its interesting to see on the ground comments as opposed to just media feeds, well, that was the idea anyway.

+1

Xxxxx

sandy1.jpgsandy3.jpg

1.Ventnor Pier N.J 2.Atlantic City Boardwalk washed away

All my family is back east in Philly and New Jersey -I'm crossing my fingers and prayin for them.

Edited by froggyluv

Fancy elaborating your point here Hans? Do you require an audience with your third person comment? Just minor point of after the fact, post event and so on.

Did you honestly think I posted this as if someone stood mid hurricane was trying to get a signal outside to post a reply from a smart phone? Dear me.

Hmmm, there are now 1.5 million people without power, and you are asking a stupid question like is there anyone from the New England area online? Yeah, because if a huge freaking hurricane is bearing down on me, the last thing I'm going to be is on the BIS forums.

I'm in Southern Ontario, right on Lake Erie and we're getting heavy rain and winds up to 90km/h. If that gives you a perspective on the size of this thing.

Stay safe everyone!

The replica of the HMS Bounty has foundered offshore, with one crewmember (a female descendant of one of the Bounty mutineers!) dead and the captain missing. What the hell were they doing out there? As usual, my father called it, just like he did the Pride of Baltimore.

The replica of the HMS Bounty has foundered offshore, with one crewmember (a female descendant of one of the Bounty mutineers!) dead and the captain missing. What the hell were they doing out there? As usual, my father called it, just like he did the Pride of Baltimore.

I would like to know that as well, why didn´t they seek refuge in some safe harbour. Only an Idiot would try to bring an old sailing ship through such a storm.

Here in western PA, I haven't seen anything but rain and a little wind. Back home I hear it's pretty nasty though even thought they are farther away from the storm. Here's something cool for you: http://hint.fm/wind/

Hmmm, there are now 1.5 million people without power, and you are asking a stupid question like is there anyone from the New England area online? Yeah, because if a huge freaking hurricane is bearing down on me, the last thing I'm going to be is on the BIS forums.

Please, if you don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion, refrain from posting. Thank you.

In Toronto, Canada last night a woman died when the high winds torn down a sign and debris hit her. Also, fires were started in the city due to the storm. https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/578968_10151489965711982_204007269_n.jpg The view from a friend's balcony. The winds were fanning the flames so hard that firefighters could barely contain it.

Abs

Reading the morning news I'm flabbergasted that 98% of the comments are praising this Captain (while ridiculing the Italian deserting one) for going down with his ship. Seriously? It was ultimately his decision to try an "sail around the storm"...The Perfect Storm..a 1000 mile wide monster we all knew was coming and one of his female deckhands died with that decision. Sorry, but I find no room for praise in such utter foolishness.

Hi Myke,

Much as I respect your point, this event will have a lot of subsequent spin off matters from it, I wouldn't like to narrow this down to just news from folk only, more of a discussion regards the entire thing along side anyone able to post when they can about news or views? Maybe I should re title the thread topic?

Hi Myke,

Much as I respect your point, this event will have a lot of subsequent spin off matters from it, I wouldn't like to narrow this down to just news from folk only, more of a discussion regards the entire thing along side anyone able to post when they can about news or views? Maybe I should re title the thread topic?

I agree with you, just tried to keep the discussion clean. I couldn't know what exactly you want with this thread. Changed thread title now and @ all: please disregard my last post, would you? ;)

I wonder if this was really a freak storm, or was the case that US east coast (especially north east) not prepared for tropical storms? I live half of the time in Hong Kong and it seems that getting slammed by 1 to 2 category 10 typhoons (Asia/Pacific term for hurricane) every summer was the norm and we hardly hear about any damages. Also just want to say that I can't believe that a single storm system can span the entire length of US east coast along with Canada! :eek:

I wonder if this was really a freak storm, or was the case that US east coast (especially north east) not prepared for tropical storms?

While the northern west coast is a hurricane hazard zone, the dangerous areas are usually along the southern tip, Louisiana down to Florida. And while there are signs of hurricane preparation, I think many people under-estimated just how powerful these forces can be.

Although the death count has been amazingly low for a metropolis like New York, with millions of people. Can't say I know what all is transpiring in New Jersey.

Edited by NodUnit

Reading the morning news I'm flabbergasted that 98% of the comments are praising this Captain (while ridiculing the Italian deserting one) for going down with his ship. Seriously? It was ultimately his decision to try an "sail around the storm"...The Perfect Storm..a 1000 mile wide monster we all knew was coming and one of his female deckhands died with that decision. Sorry, but I find no room for praise in such utter foolishness.

That's the truth.

It seems that his decision to put to sea was motivated by the tourist schedule of the ship, which was promised to return to Saint Petersburg, FL. It may have been the right decision to abandon his exposed anchorage, but there were a wide variety of safer ports to the NE that could have been reached (and the smaller, slower sailing ship Amistad reached Portland and is safe and sound).

I wonder if this was really a freak storm, or was the case that US east coast (especially north east) not prepared for tropical storms? I live half of the time in Hong Kong and it seems that getting slammed by 1 to 2 category 10 typhoons (Asia/Pacific term for hurricane) every summer was the norm and we hardly hear about any damages. Also just want to say that I can't believe that a single storm system can span the entire length of US east coast along with Canada! :eek:

I would say that they were prepared, judging by the deaths.

But keep in mind that the most damage wasn´t done by the wind, but by immense amounts of water. You can´t be prepared for that.

http://colorlines.com/archives/2012/11/without_electricity_new_yorkers_on_food_stamps_cant_pay_for_food.html

Recipients buying eligible foods are suppose to swipe their EBT cards like any other credit card for their purchases but since Hurricane Sandy hit, most Lower East Side stores don’t have electricity to run credit card transactions and are only accepting cash. Leaving many people on EBT with empty wallets, empty refrigerators and no access to food.

The best laid plans and all that. Not sure how much this covers people wise, may need to dig deeper, interesting none the less regarding all "smart tech" (which is basicly "thick as pig shit tech" when the power switch is set to "off").

I saw really devastating images of destroyed houses in the news, these tropical storms got really more intense and frequently in the years. Hope all forum members here are alright and wish all the best.