Sign in to follow this  
G4meM0ment

More realistic/depressing feeling

Who was our old forumite who used to post those hilarious FPDR videos? I smell a resurrgence! The OP is correct tho -the game really left me feeling depressed :cylon:

Because FP DR spelled together gives you this: FPDR

I think this game isn't perfect and they did a lot wrong. But some stuff (like the soldiers radio) was very great and better than in arma.

And I also think the gameplay was easier and faster than armas (for example the command menu).

Who was our old forumite who used to post those hilarious FPDR videos? I smell a resurrgence! The OP is correct tho -the game really left me feeling depressed :cylon:

True, true. :icon_mrgreen:

Since OP wasn't kind enough to provide examples: OP, in no shape or form is the following "depressing" or "realistic",

TWkbNboZwUg

Blood splatter, black dirt being thrown on your eyes. Jesus wept. :(

Isn't that already the case? Or does it apply only to bullets, which land in your proximity? For everyone else,

Only for actual impacts.

Observe the serenity of the whole setting, if it wasn't for an enemy squad or two, you'd be there on the beach in your underpants. :)

Wars take place in beautiful places all the time.

This month rebels advanced on Goma in the DRC, a breathtaking mountainous lakeshore with volcanoes and tropical forest, dotted by rolling farmland. The 2008 Georgia war took place amid some of the most awesome alpine scenery in Europe or Asia.

Missionmakers are totally free to apply dreary color filters, add burning houses and corpses everywhere, and more power to them. But there is zero reason to pre-ruin the map for everyone else.

Spartan knife fighter FTW!

May be strongest case yet against melee 'capable' AI.

True, true. :icon_mrgreen:

Since OP wasn't kind enough to provide examples: OP, in no shape or form is the following "depressing" or "realistic",

TWkbNboZwUg

Blood splatter, black dirt being thrown on your eyes. Jesus wept. :(

First thing these are old versions without patches from OFP I think ArmA had its problems with bugs too.

2. I've played this game 2 Years and it felt depressing (not everytime realistic but depressing :P) I think these situations aren't good to assign this to the player.

For example a house standing next to a village and you and your mates are inside that house, enemys all around shooting at, thats depressing.

I think ArmA 3 will be a lot better than OFP DR but I think it was a good game too, thats my opinion. If you think otherwise it's ok

I can understand your arguments.

And I already said that this would be work because in A3 the soldiers wearing glass sights... but read the previest posts if you wanna know)

Ok, fair point, but I think you mentioned that you had played ArmA 1 and I don't see how could anyone prefer dragoon racing atmosphere & mechanics to ArmA/OFP after experiencing the real mil sim. Give ArmA II / Operation Arrowhead more thought and I'm sure you will discovered what you're looking for. Myself, I have been in situations in-game where you feel truly depressed and are shouting over the mic with you getting tunnel vision in real life as a result! This happens a lot if missions/ops last more than 2 hours.

ArmA III will come out and I'd bet you will be playing this game more than anything else if you're into realistic mil sims and in my opinion there needn't be artificial "danger", "depression", "suppression" effects to make it a very immersive experience.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

No need for hollywood effects here. My nervous and slightly paranoid headmovements with TrackIR during firefights is way more immersive than some flashy unrealistic filters and blood/dirt-splashes on the screen :D In Arma I really feel like I'm the soldier I'm playing, with great body awareness, compared to other shooters where I just feel like a flying camera with a dirty lense.

COMPLETELY agree. Original poster needs to get TrackIR and play with a sound mod like ACEX2_SM or JSRS, if they currently aren't immersed enough, so that bullet snaps and nearby impacts make you jump out of your chair. Taking 7.62mm from two directions while behind a tree is all I need to immerse my imagination. Vegetation and dust in ArmA II is already a visual obstacle during firefights, especially while prone, unless your graphics settings are on the lowest of the low you shouldn't need fake sprites to 'suppress' you.

I don't need silly gimmicks like blood on my screen or dirt in my way: bullets are already in my way.

-icecl0ud

Wars take place in beautiful places all the time.

This month rebels advanced on Goma in the DRC, a breathtaking mountainous lakeshore with volcanoes and tropical forest, dotted by rolling farmland. The 2008 Georgia war took place amid some of the most awesome alpine scenery in Europe or Asia.

Missionmakers are totally free to apply dreary color filters, add burning houses and corpses everywhere, and more power to them. But there is zero reason to pre-ruin the map for everyone else.

Indeed and the point is: colour reproduction, along with lightning, albeit some HDR issues, in ArmA series is outstanding.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

COMPLETELY agree. Original poster needs to get TrackIR and play with a sound mod like ACEX2_SM or JSRS, if they currently aren't immersed enough, so that bullet snaps and nearby impacts make you jump out of your chair.

I think he should simply install ACE 2, it has everything he suggests, including shellshock from grenades, AT BB, tank cannon fire and many more things.

COMPLETELY agree. Original poster needs to get TrackIR and play with a sound mod like ACEX2_SM or JSRS, if they currently aren't immersed enough, so that bullet snaps and nearby impacts make you jump out of your chair. Taking 7.62mm from two directions while behind a tree is all I need to immerse my imagination. Vegetation and dust in ArmA II is already a visual obstacle during firefights, especially while prone, unless your graphics settings are on the lowest of the low you shouldn't need fake sprites to 'suppress' you.

I don't need silly gimmicks like blood on my screen or dirt in my way: bullets are already in my way.

-icecl0ud

Maybe you don't need it, but I think it would also improve the realism, because a soldier won't be "cool" as while he's suppressed, and this could be assigned, with fast breath more contentration (for example he only has a very clear view on his weapon and everything else is unclear). I feel like writing this the one millionst time today -.-

Hehe, me neither tho I have been shot at with a 9mm (scooter-jacked) and my vision turned extra sharp as if in a tight circle and nothing else existed except me and the shooter. That said, I think this effect reflects your nervous system (which was fried) and there are only so many ways to do this via a monitor.

This, when the guns start aiming at you, everything goes slo mo like in Max Payne or FEAR or a car crash.

G4meM0ment there is a sticky thread for A3 wishes and ideas.... No need to open a new thread if you don't want to read + understand other opinions and discuss it.

G4meM0ment there is a sticky thread for A3 wishes and ideas.... No need to open a new thread if you don't want to read + understand other opinions and discuss it.

Hee, I wanna discuss, but often others wont get what I mean, thats not their foul (my english ... :P)

Thanks for that information I thought this threads would be to send ideas to the devs.

Hee, I wanna discuss, but often others wont get what I mean, thats not their foul (my english ... :P)

Thanks for that information I thought this threads would be to send ideas to the devs.

We get exactly what you mean and my final advice is to install ACE 2 mod, it has everything to make the game suspenseful: nothing like a sustained firefight with you firing a high ROF weapon and gradually going deaf/shellshocked as a result. The sound mod built into ACE is brutal by itself and it totally changes the way you perceive ordinary things, such as a "simple" shot in your direction.

bkYpi-mqRjY

Can't get any better than this.

I think the speed of the growth of this thread means it is an important subject to many that play arma 2. I wish the suppression mechanic was better.

My other major concern along these lines are how many weapons seems poorly modelled and very similar to one another. Particualry big MGs like a vehicle mounted .50cal. When being shot with these monsters I wish the bullets had greater impact. Really kicking up dirt, destroying walls etc, you should be able to feel the power more than you do currently.

Even an lmg often feels like any other assault rifle. There is a reason the AR is such an important member of a fire team, the huge firepower the lmg produces, yet ingame it doesn't matter so much.

I hope more work can go into this. Much of the value of firepower should go into suppressing enemy, the effect on you as a player when suppressed should be along the lines of what happens when your adrenaline kicks in. Shaking, hearing your own heart beat and breathing which slightly block other stimulae. In panic, perhaps the inability to get off the floor for a time. However you do it, if you gain fire superiority you should really gain an advantage.

Why must everybody demand B-B-B-BLOODY, DIRTY DESATURATED SCREEN! SO REEEAL! like it's the ultimate in realism technology. It's not like every Arma player hacks their profile to use Delta Force goggles on their character. Wouldn't the current suppression response where the view becomes brighter and more saturated for a second be more fitting, seeing as how adrenaline can make a person slightly more perceptive?

This might sound crazy, but I think having TrackIR on while under stress in this game would be enough. Warning while flying? Suddenly your head is flying around looking for the enemy, and everything is blurry. Taking fire on the ground? Suddenly your vision locks on to the target while the rest of your body moves.

TrackIR with a 3-screen setup is a little dream of mine.

Your mistake is to believe that "the solution" should center around people having TrackIR and triple monitors, when the most likely player hardware is going to be no-TrackIR-or-equivalent (hence Alt+mouse to free-look) and a single monitor.

We get exactly what you mean and my final advice is to install ACE 2 mod, it has everything to make the game suspenseful: nothing like a sustained firefight with you firing a high ROF weapon and gradually going deaf/shellshocked as a result. The sound mod built into ACE is brutal by itself and it totally changes the way you perceive ordinary things, such as a "simple" shot in your direction.

Well IMO the OP raises a perfectly valid ingame feature, I don't think the final analysis should be "install ACE 2 mod". I think suppression is important enough to be implemented in the core game don't you?

Plus, there is no ACE 2 mod for ArmA 3 :)

Supression is bollocks, totaly ruined BF3 for me.

If you are stupid enough to stick your head up with incomming fire you deserve to die, hopefully followed by an excruciatinly long respawn time to ponder your stupidity.

The same stupidity that asks for blurry shite on your screen when getting shot at in fact.

It is just barable in A2 as it is now, any more and I will among those on the the A3 equivalent of the Carrier Command I'm Out thread.

Do not turn A3 into a BF3 clone which is nothing more than a COD clone.

People need to use intellegence instead of gimmicks, or you won't learn FA.

Why must everybody demand B-B-B-BLOODY, DIRTY DESATURATED SCREEN! SO REEEAL! like it's the ultimate in realism technology. It's not like every Arma player hacks their profile to use Delta Force goggles on their character. Wouldn't the current suppression response where the view becomes brighter and more saturated for a second be more fitting, seeing as how adrenaline can make a person slightly more perceptive?

But I never wanted a bloody screen, watch anotehr post to see how I mean it.

---------- Post added at 09:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Well IMO the OP raises a perfectly valid ingame feature, I don't think the final analysis should be "install ACE 2 mod". I think suppression is important enough to be implemented in the core game don't you?

Plus, there is no ACE 2 mod for ArmA 3 :)

devs aldo said they wanna implement sounds from mods (possibly ace)

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Supression is bollocks, totaly ruined BF3 for me.

If you are stupid enough to stick your head up with incomming fire you deserve to die, hopefully followed by an excruciatinly long respawn time to ponder your stupidity.

The same stupidity that asks for blurry shite on your screen when getting shot at in fact.

It is just barable in A2 as it is now, any more and I will among those on the the A3 equivalent of the Carrier Command I'm Out thread.

Do not turn A3 into a BF3 clone which is nothing more than a COD clone.

People need to use intellegence instead of gimmicks, or you won't learn FA.

Dont you think a soldier would be scared when he's suppressed? I think that simulate this feeling how a military simulation should and it must not as strong as in bf 3

Dont you think a soldier would be scared when he's suppressed? I think that simulate this feeling how a military simulation should and it must not as strong as in bf 3

That depends on individual soldier. I think the game shouldn't simulate fear. The visual effect in ArmA2 isn't that bad. It lets you know that you're in danger. Therefore it should be difficulty option (because hardocre players should notice bullets hitting nearby themselves). But fast breathing and aim disruption just simulates something in your brain and doesn't fit in ArmA. If it's justifiable than there should be also simulation for war amok, sadness, fear or anger when losing a friendlies, fear and drive disruption when AT rockets miss you in car/tank, ...

Game just shouldn't force me to not to be Rambo or idiot.

Edited by batto

Remeber, this is ArmA! Bullets here really kill with a few hits. The player isnt a sponge that will heal after hiding for a few secs.

If some one is spraying at your position, that means what? Get hit by 2 or 3 shots and its gameover... In a TvT is wait for next map!

Remeber, this is ArmA! Bullets here really kill with a few hits. The player isnt a sponge that will heal after hiding for a few secs.

If some one is spraying at your position, that means what? Get hit by 2 or 3 shots and its gameover... In a TvT is wait for next map!

So what? That's your problem. You control your avatar. You are the one to feel fear if it means gameover.

Remember, this is ArmA! I can pilot Chinook and do kamikaze into position with 8 enemies in PvP without any fear effects. It'll free rest of my squad from being pinned down and I'll respawn in 30-60 secs. I can run alone into 8 enemies from behind and try luck and kill them one by one without any fear effects.

Edited by batto

Soldiers go through something called training, they are not some kid picked up off the street and thrown straight into a war.

They still have fear like the rest of us, but training routine teaches them how to control it better under the circumstances.

At no point while being shot at deos your vision become blurry, unless someone hits a tub of vaseline nearby and splashes it on you combat glasses.