Sign in to follow this  

ArmA 3 OST suggestion

seventh? they used to be on the original OFP and their music is awesome, just as a short suggestion, i got 3:

1- if money is enough, why not to use orchest and symphony for the music?

2- why not to re-make old OFP or ArmA: CWA songs?

3- why not to get seventh? seriusly, i dont know whats the tabu since OFP, those guys never appeared on any other ArmA game (i doubt if they appeared on any game after OFP) but id like to go around the civs houses and find radios with seventh playing....

seventh? they used to be on the original OFP and their music is awesome, just as a short suggestion, i got 3:

1- if money is enough, why not to use orchest and symphony for the music?

2- why not to re-make old OFP or ArmA: CWA songs?

3- why not to get seventh? seriusly, i dont know whats the tabu since OFP, those guys never appeared on any other ArmA game (i doubt if they appeared on any game after OFP) but id like to go around the civs houses and find radios with seventh playing....

That would be nice. Like the music in Stratis trailer. In my opinion the music in arma 2 isn't really that good. OFP definitely had the best music.

OST along these lines, tailored to the 'sign of the times' atmosphere, which will surely be raging on Limnos (World War III?)

kKvilOtnGlQ

In regards to the orchestra idea, it would cost too much money, even with surge in sales when a lot of that money can go into game code n such rather than an orchestra. There was a discussion on music in a previous thread and I brought up the handy substitute of advanced instrument libraries which I am certain the composer for ArmA's music already uses to some extent as well as other game and television (and movie) composers. Not exactly cheap though...but much cheaper than paying a large group of musicians for several days.

Example: http://media.soundsonline.com/mp3/HB_Storming_the_Gates.mp3

This was done using East West's "Hollywood Strings" and "Hollywood Brass" libraries, as well as a few others.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Hollywood-Strings The demo section has a tab demonstrating a bunch of the different articulations and combinations of such.

Edited by Steakslim

Yea, I was about to suggest Hollywood Strings + Hollywood Brass. Some amazing ultra-realistic samples in those libraries.

I like Orchestral music in war games, dunno why it just seems to fit better.

Meh, orchestral is too cheezy and completely played out for this imo. It's exactly what you would expect in a war-game/movie/whatever, which is just tiring.

I really liked the music in A2, and what has followed in A3-trailers so far sounds very promising. There's definitely a unique style to it that defines the series, at least to me. The music isnt however something you hear a lot in this game (Which is how it should be), so putting too much money on it would just be ridiculous.

I have no memory of the music in OFP though, so I cant compare to that.

Edited by Mr. Bravo

That would be nice. Like the music in Stratis trailer. In my opinion the music in arma 2 isn't really that good. OFP definitely had the best music.

I don't think OFP's music would have fit Arma much less Arma 2 quite as well though, this was a proxy war that could cross the brink from cold war into world war 3 whereas Arma 1 was more of a military assitance against an enemy and Arma 2 was a low profile kind of campaign, assisting the local government and what have you. Though Arma 3 it could fit if things are "hot" enough and by the sounds of it they are.. I could see something like this working http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFeQVWtuLWA&feature=BFa&list=SPE17DEF2178D1E686 especially if NATO is still getting it's ass handed at the time of the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8jgLlH4VBs&feature=autoplay&list=SPE17DEF2178D1E686&playnext=2

Meh, orchestral is too cheezy and completely played out for this. It's exactly what you would expect in a war-game/movie/whatever, which is just tiring.

I really liked the music in A2, and what has followed in A3-trailers so far sounds very promising. There's definitely a unique style to it that defines the series, at least to me. The music isnt however something you hear a lot in this game (Which is awesome), so putting too much money on it would just be ridiculous.

Well then allow me to link you to the soundtrack :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plF6e9myLzk&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SPE17DEF2178D1E686 Edited by NodUnit

Those 2 themes from ArmA3 soundtrack we've heard so far (or 3 if I don't confuse a tune in VBS2 Pacific Training video with a tune from ArmA1) - Stratis and Lighting videos - are perfectly fitting for ArmA3.

Admittedly I am curious to hear more, did oddly enjoy the heavy beat in the lighting trailer and small homages to previous game music types. I wouldn't so much want ALL or the EXACT same music from OFP, afterall progression is a good thing, can't live off the same thing forever.

One thing about music in the ARMA series that I think needs to happen is the implementation of a dynamic soundtrack.

This is something that is so elementary to some of the oldest games that I've enjoyed that I don't understand why it hasn't been attempted by the developers as yet.

Different music, dynamically chosen for different circumstances.

There should be soundtrack selections for all sorts of circumstances.

Sharping Knives (track 13 in Arma2) has one of the fattest bass lines ever heard in a video game.

s4Nhtab4I6k

Edited by froggyluv

I like this stuff (not serious for OST but opening the mind horizon a little bit):

(Imagine this in the early Morning sunrising, you and your team slowly approaching an enemy base - time is right just seconds before it begins...!)

The Samurai were born soldiers. A whole cast of soldiers living only to fight for their Loyalty!

Thats the spirit :)

Or this Sound, when You win a Battle:

--

but I think some Rock Music fits better, cause most soldiers listen to it too. And I liked the music very much in ArmA II - but why not make one or so Samurai Sound too ;)

--

Investigating a big indsutrial complex / hall / Hangar: spec ops night time operation alone, maybe discovering new war machines sth. a little futuristic or like an Atom bomb horrifying:

--

warm Night after rain, jungle / deep forest operation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKWgepGEZU8

very creepy ^^ - thats when orchestra is really strong

--

But in-fight, I cant stand Music, its too distracting. Its nice when rtaveling and doing stuff. But not when I have to concentrate.

Heavys arrive Edited by tremanarch

I can definitely agree on the opposition to music in combat. some music for ambient things before the first crack of combat would be interesting

P.S. people who don't get it: using orchestra, people can create awesome/epic soundtracks, not your regular classical music written by dead people

Should add that the music doesn't always have to be purely orchestral in theme. I could be a hybrid of genres, which often work very well. An older example would be the score to Robocop. Basil Poledouris used traditional orchestral music with 80's synths which while cheesy in it's own right possibly, did work out and become one of his better and more memorable works.

I´m against rehashing the A:CWA soundtrack, or any other. A3 should have a completely original soundtrack, striving to be new, and just as memorable and atmospheric as the original OFPs. Without actually being like that.

First of all, thanks for all the replyes of everyone here, and i understand an orchest would be just too expensive (possible, but for that BIS needs a publisher, and most of them are just evil...), just suggested the orchest because they really fit when a game use violence or war not for fun but for showing how amazing a game is (just like in morrowind and OFP, wich did the same)

i still think they should add seventh at least one track of them for a background song, its a really good band and it fits as a rock theme

Meh, orchestral is too cheezy and completely played out for this imo. It's exactly what you would expect in a war-game/movie/whatever, which is just tiring.

I really liked the music in A2, and what has followed in A3-trailers so far sounds very promising. There's definitely a unique style to it that defines the series, at least to me. The music isnt however something you hear a lot in this game (Which is how it should be), so putting too much money on it would just be ridiculous.

.... are you seriusly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n4VdpQfGtQ

the last video is seventh, the band i was talking about, anyone who played the original OFP mostly agree that this band is great, like i stated earlyer, they never appeared on any other CM nor BIS game, that's why i suggested to have them for A3.

I like this stuff (not serious for OST but opening the mind horizon a little bit):

(Imagine this in the early Morning sunrising, you and your team slowly approaching an enemy base - time is right just seconds before it begins...!)

The Samurai were born soldiers. A whole cast of soldiers living only to fight for their Loyalty!

Thats the spirit :)

Or this Sound, when You win a Battle:

--

but I think some Rock Music fits better, cause most soldiers listen to it too. And I liked the music very much in ArmA II - but why not make one or so Samurai Sound too ;)

--

Investigating a big indsutrial complex / hall / Hangar: spec ops night time operation alone, maybe discovering new war machines sth. a little futuristic or like an Atom bomb horrifying:

--

warm Night after rain, jungle / deep forest operation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKWgepGEZU8

very creepy ^^ - thats when orchestra is really strong

--

But in-fight, I cant stand Music, its too distracting. Its nice when rtaveling and doing stuff. But not when I have to concentrate.

Heavys arrive

Whoa, I was watching the exact same video last night and seriously thought of linking it over here!! I however figured its perhaps too japanese themed and was looking for better alternative though :)

It's not like I dont like rock themed OST's but I personaly find them cheesy so to speak and is why replacing an decent orchestral record might not always go too well.

Im suggesting this wonderful drum line as if opera would be too dear and rock too cheesy, going back to the roots would be something I'd like to hear in A3

Im suggesting this wonderful drum line as if opera would be too dear and rock too cheesy, going back to the roots would be something I'd like to hear in A3

you nailed it! I like it. this also gives some realism feeling also. I can see in my mind flying with a heli to an Island landing with the troops, reconnaissance with other troops, talk about plans etc. Just a slight touch of music, not too much not too less.

Edited by tremanarch

OFP had a really great soundtrack, while Arma 1 and 2 had a few decent select tracks, the rest were bland. I would love to see something similar to the OFP tracks but that fit with the era more.

P.S. people who don't get it: using orchestra, people can create awesome/epic soundtracks, not your regular classical music written by dead people

ur wrong. Its actually the new 'epic' soundtracks that sound stale and overly bombastic with no feeling. Those 'dead' people actually knew what music was.

ur wrong. Its actually the new 'epic' soundtracks that sound stale and overly bombastic with no feeling. Those 'dead' people actually knew what music was.

ONCE again, orchestra isn't a music genre, it's simply using live instruments instead of synthesizers. Live instruments make music sound more natural, more harmonic, especially for ambient, soft music.

Have to say I really like the Stratis trailer music.