Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Operation E3

What part of "the crew compartment does not seal" is so hard to understand?

Its not a sealed unit, there is no hatch to close, you cant drain the seawater out from it, it is always wet.

It is designed to operate this way. Are you actually this dumb, or just intentionally trying to be?

I'm at a point where I about to block your aggressive trolling.

The crew compartment holds a certain amount of water and once it is filled, it doesn't matter if this particular compartment is open or closed, since the ballast tanks keep the sub from sinking.

Jeez at that depth they're probably operating at atmospheric pressure, so further making all of your jibberish moot. :icon_twisted:

P.S. We're discussing the buoyancy of this SDV, not whether or not it has a hatch to seal once the crew has boarded.

That's an interesting reference point. Is that whilst wearing full kit and a heavy backpack? How about the rate at which you can controllably swing your field of view?

Qualification first - this is airsoft gear in a milsim situation, so I'm not trying to claim I'm some kind of operator or anything, but the weight is very similar to the real steel (gas blow back not electric).

My standard loadout is a light/med combat load of 8xstanag mags, 2xsmoke, 2xfrags, 2x40mm, 2xP226 mags, P226 in Serpa2 drop leg, radio with headset, 2.5litres hydration pack (no bergen or mich (I prefer my boonie), but you really shouldn't be getting into a contact with one of those unless something has gone wrong) - to be honest the loadout weight doesn't affect the ability to raise the rifle that much, as you're only really using arms on ~8lb+ pivoting it upwards about the point where the stock meets your shoulder (pocket). The EGLM adds another 4lbs roughly.

Using an indexed grip with thumb parallel to bore etc I can aim to static targets in similar times within a 60deg arc roughly as the squared up stance and grip technique helps stabilise aiming alot compared to using the vert grip (if attached) like a tennis racket, where you get a slight over compensation or "wobble" when trying to stop on a target.

Obviously the SSR in my sig below is a different beast and is used in a different way tactically (prone and ranged normally) as would an LMG be (M249 etc), but the light load out assault rifles shown in the E3 demo is pretty good in my opinion.

Also I'm an unfit 45 year old and I play a fair amount with serving guys half my age who can traverse ground at about 4x the speed of my tactical bimbling, whilst maintaining a low or high ready posture with their rifles and a similar loadout to mine - ah the advantages of youth.

I'm at a point where I about to block your aggressive trolling.

The crew compartment holds a certain amount of water and once it is filled, it doesn't matter if this particular compartment is open or closed, since the ballast tanks keep the sub from sinking.

Jeez at that depth they're probably operating at atmospheric pressure, so further making all of your jibberish moot. :icon_twisted:

P.S. We're discussing the buoyancy of this SDV, not whether or not it has a hatch to seal once the crew has boarded.

FPDR..............

Those are fluid dynamic panels, same as those put on an aircraft, they are there to decrease drag when moving through medium be it air or water, THESE ARE CLEARLY NOT PRESSURIZATION BULKHEAD

I'm not sure you understand what you're talking about:

Or the fact that when you open the hatch it gets flooded with water, when you get in? Well you can drain it later! ;D

I simply pointed out that the SDV does NOT have a hatch to open, and that you can NOT drain the water (because you cant seal it in order to prevent more water flooding in).

I never commented on the bouyancy, simply because it is patently obvious that the SDV is designed to be capable of operating with the crew compartment fully flooded, purely because there is no way to seal and drain it.

FPDR..............

Those are fluid dynamic panels, same as those put on an aircraft, they are there to decrease drag when moving through medium be it air or water, THESE ARE CLEARLY NOT PRESSURIZATION BULKHEAD

Great! Start with Qaz's original question before invoking Picard's bald head.

Actually both running and sprinting in Arma3 are slower than in Arma2. Walk is about the same speed, and tactical pace is precisely inbetween walk and run.

All movement animations are mocap, just cleaned up, but not artificially stretched or sped up in any way.

Perhaps the feeling of faster movement is because of lower stance, better ground detail and broader FOV in Arma3?

That very well could be, Sort of like the moving car effect..everything approaching from the front window seems slow but in the side windows everything is just zooming by in comparison.

Edited by NodUnit

I never commented on the bouyancy, simply because it is patently obvious that the SDV is designed to be capable of operating with the crew compartment fully flooded, purely because there is no way to seal and drain it.

Then troll some more with 'infinite' amount of water definitions. v0v I didn't know this particular SDV had no hatch for re-pressurization and you bring your clown suit out, while we were discussing buoyancy. I've made sure this doesn't happen in the future. Good job.

What about diver having a backpack instead of an air cylinder. Do people store air in backpacks in 2035? :raisebrow:

Qualification first - this is airsoft gear in a milsim situation, so I'm not trying to claim I'm some kind of operator or anything, but the weight is very similar to the real steel (gas blow back not electric).

My standard loadout is....Also I'm an unfit 45 year old

I know where you're coming from as I'm 48.

Thanks for the info. This, together with the Dev comments on movement being motion capture suggests the movements are more realistic than they at first appear on a computer screen. I'm happy with that.

P.S. Mr Hooper. Thanks for that video. Instant classic!

What about diver having a backpack instead of an air cylinder. Do people store air in backpacks in 2035? :raisebrow:

Probably using rebreathers, that look more like a bulky backpack than true cylinders.

Depend on design, there is also chest mounted rebreathers

Like the Draeger LAR V system

Edited by 4 IN 1

He uses an closed circuit rebreather. There are no oxygen bottles: the rebreather is mounted on his chest.

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/e3_teaser_arma3_screenshot_1205_32_4.jpg <- Edit: actually on his stomach, it´s pretty well visible here.

Edited by InstaGoat

He uses an closed circuit rebreather. There are no oxygen bottles: the rebreather is mounted on his chest.

That's not quite true, rebreathers still have oxygen cylinders, otherwise how would they replenish the oxygen the diver uses after each breath?

Can you dive as a normal unit?

Can you dive as a normal unit?

Yes, but you will drown if you stay to long underwater << Source: Lord Ivan E3 2011 Live cam

first part of the Deterrence mission (clearing an Iranian mortar position)

Which again shows how much worse AI became. Instead of crawling under the bush enemies were just running on top of the hill like idiots. Whereas in previous games running forward to enemies and away from your squad would've been deadly - here the dude basically solo'ed half of the mission (and most likely the other half too considering how awful AI is). And this is from the campaign no less.

Edited by metalcraze

Or perhaps because of the lack of any weapon sway when aiming and moving. It does indeed give that floating fast impression.

There IS weapon sway, in amount which is a result of months of attempts and playtesting. Plus there are mechanics to quickly parametrically change it/experiment as we see fit, and thats what will happen during PACA. It is not just abou visuals - difficult to show on a video, you would have to actually play the game to see..... oh wait, you can't th_trollface50x50.png

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

He has a rebreather on his belly! Backpack is just regular backpack with stuff in it.

Which again shows how much worse AI became. Instead of crawling under the bush enemies were just running on top of the hill like idiots. Whereas in previous games running forward to enemies and away from your squad would've been deadly - here the dude basically solo'ed the whole mission. And this is from the campaign no less.

Would you please quit mouthing off?

There is almost nothing to distinguish the brief glimpses of AI here from OA 1.60. That in itself is a tragedy waiting to happen, and I thought you would be complaining about that, rather than this alarmist freakout.

The AI aren't running into the player like idiots, they are running down a street to locate contacts and having the misfortune of getting shot by someone they didn't know was there. This is a mission design thing, really. There's no such thing as 'running on top of hill' because the AI can't recognized elevation positions in either game. The demo video shows AI taking cover in CQB in a responsive fashion... inconsistently, just like ArmA 2.

I think we can assume that the skill (and hence response time of the AI) is turned down to make a short, easy mission for stupid journalists who don't even bother to learn the sights and stances. If you recall, low skill AI in the current game have to stare at you for five seconds before even taking a shot. This is what I saw in the mortar mission clip. There's just no way they're making them stupider, because stupid FPS AI are scripted and look smart.

In the video I saw, the guy did not solo the entire mission. He ran around like an idiot while his team laid down effective fire from their position behind him.

There IS weapon sway, in amount which is a result of months of attempts and playtesting. Plus there are mechanics to quickly parametrically change it/experiment as we see fit, and thats what will happen during PACA. It is not just abou visuals - difficult to show on a video, you would have to actually play the game to see..... oh wait, you can't http://th214.photobucket.com/albums/cc237/xFlyer/Avatars/50x50/th_trollface50x50.png

But it's better to hear it from the devs to make sure ;)

There is almost nothing to distinguish the brief glimpses of AI here from OA 1.60. That in itself is a tragedy waiting to happen, and I thought you would be complaining about that, rather than this alarmist freakout.

Actually I did when the first gamespot live cam video was shown. AI behaved silly trying to destroy that APC with small arms fire for minutes instead of retreating and hiding after seeing it was futile and losses were mounting / didn't notice them using buildings for cover in all the videos.

And I'm an alarmist - I thought you'd know that by now :)

Edited by metalcraze

In the video I saw, the guy did not solo the entire mission. He ran around like an idiot while his team laid down effective fire from their position behind him.

Yeah I even saw a HE grenade launched by AI teammates hitting the OPFOR on top of the hill.

Can I ask if things like the weapon reload anims are motion captured, 100% animated by hand or the product of some sort of inverse kinematics system? Would be interesting to know as an addon maker... (I'd dreading the prospect of making reload anims to be honest) :)

There were unsuccessful attempts with motion captured reloads, but in the end all reload anims are handmade. There will be lot of them, and sometimes one reload animation fits multiple weapons, so you have some chance right there. There will still be the magic handwave Arma2 style reload anim available, so in worst case you can use that (if you do some totally exotic weapon)

Metalcraze, I would, in fact, setup very dumb-o AI just for the herpaderps that would be playing on E3 - this is a wise thing to do for people who have been exposed to ADD COD their whole life and coming out of withdrawal. :icon_twisted:

So hush it, Jay Crowe said they've optimised the cover-finding algos, so it must be true. ;)