purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

And significant regress? Seriously? Where? Did I miss BIS announcing that they are dropping features?

Yep look at your very own signature.

No Editor, no SDK, XP based upgrades.

BIS did it all for teh lulz.

Yep look at your very own signature.

No Editor, no SDK, XP based upgrades.

BIS did it all for teh lulz.

:p

Why it didn't occur to no one to send FeoFUN to Codemasters forums to preach teh realism there? ;)

Yes, I am, seriously. Because OFP was set in the past, so, by your undefeatable logic, it must have been incredibly easy to recreate all equipment from that era, thus achieving "total milsim realistic authentic training tool yeah." Yet they didn't.

They've tried, at least.

They did it to ballance stuff. For fun. And the world didn't collapse. Nor did the players refused to buy the game because the developers made only 3 crew positions in some tanks, where there should have been 4 (oh, the horror!) or that they severely limited the firepower of some tanks because, due to technical limitations, OFP only supported one gunner per vehicle.

Do not confuse the engine and balance issues with the completely fictional stuff.

And significant regress? Seriously? Where? Did I miss BIS announcing that they are dropping features?

What is the 'features'? Realistic sunrise? No, they didn't. But if to say about their trend to make each of the next Arma more realistic than previous - yes, they do.

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

Unfortunately, that's not the context that the statement was made in. I was replying to someone else saying that Iran can't make better equipment than modern western equipment. Coincidentally, that statement was also taking what I was saying out of context.

Unfortunately, the context doesn't matter here, because you told about the real Iran and real helicopter - so, the copying of Cobra isn't improvement, just a questionable try to replace the old airframes of Cobra with the new ones. And of course Iran can't make the equipment better than modern Western counterparts(or even on pair). Poor copies of the 50-years old Western and Russian stuff - that's all what they can to do.

Personally I think we should let the Devs concentrate on the A3 engine, effects, physic, textures..etc

Concerning realism of equipments, vehicles, ballistics, etc we just need to wait for ACE 3 mod, which will bring back contemporary army forces era, and reworked equipements to be as realistic as possible.

wait and see.

Edited by cychou

Unfortunately, the context doesn't matter here, because you told about the real Iran and real helicopter - so, the copying of Cobra isn't improvement, just a questionable try to replace the old airframes of Cobra with the new ones. And of course Iran can't make the equipment better than modern Western counterparts(or even on pair). Poor copies of the 50-years old Western and Russian stuff - that's all what they can to do.

Yes it does, unfortunately.

You see, FeoFUN, when we're talking about inspirations for artwork, or real events which were the basis of a story, the exact hard reality of those inspirations is not only superfluous, but largely irrelevent but for the inspiration. I was stating that they have created a helicopter based on existing helicopters in the past. I did this for two reasons. a) It shows that Iran has done so in real life before, so depending on circumstances, at least fictional, perhaps they try it again, and b) to provide a little information on how BI may have come up with the helicopter. I can safely say that I don't give a flying elephant what the actual circumstances in Iran are. Not only that, but Iran is the technological leader in this future conflict, so I think it should be obvious that the current rules about sanctions and limitations DO NOT APPLY. If you gave me an hour I could probably make up five fictional circumstances where Iran develops its own helicopter, or receives a helicopter from china or some other country, that is made from captured plans or reverse engineered helicopter parts- and one of them might actually be half plausible or interesting. This argument that it's not real life therefore it's not worth consideration as a plot point in a videogame is not only tiresome in its repetitiveness, but also in its exhaustive amounts of irrelevent detail. Your attempts to claim that the context of my statement is not worth considering therefore your argument is a valid is one that I would say is counter productive if it is your wish that people take you seriously. Perhaps to you it is me saying that you are wrong and I am right. It isn't. It's me saying that I don't care what Iran is doing today, I don't see how an exact extrapolation from todays events into a fictional future is even helpful, and that my comments were meant to give a loose, associative idea about the possible inspiration for the helicopter, not give you the effing blueprints and production timeline.

Edited by Max Power

They didn't create ANYTHING - just copied the 60-years old design, which they have an access to for the last 40 years.

But now I see it clear - you don't have an idea, how the real things are developing and what's the difference between the copying and developing.

Iran strong!!!!111

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Personally I think we should let the Devs concentrate on the A3 engine, effects, physic, textures..etc

Concerning realism of equipments, vehicles, ballistics, etc we just need to wait for ACE 3 mod, which will bring back contemporary army forces era, and reworked equipements to be as realistic as possible.

wait and see.

+1. But i have some concerns about the future of ACE, since it's a non-commercial project. I will be glad to buy the ACE for money, if it could guarantee that project will live.

But i have some concerns about the future of ACE, since it's a non-commercial project. I will be glad to buy the ACE for money, if it could guarantee that project will live.
At some point we will be planning and working on ACE for ARMA 3,

and will try to deliver you the ACE experience as close to ARMA 3's release as possible,

as you have come to expect from us.

More info will be given, when it becomes available.

We hope to meet you again in ARMA 3!

http://wiki.ace-mod.net/ACE_future_plans_and_ARMA_3

yea ACE mod is the thing than can port arma 2 data and make it addons....

its a shame there arent more addon makers to do this...

Without Ouzo + Sirtaki A3 is no true sim ... btw what about cats and dogs I heard that there are at least 20 of them in every greek town/village?

Donkeys, we need donkeys!

BTW FeoFun, wht you fail to realize is that Max Power just doesn´t give a damn about the real world situation in Iran. That is not equal to him not knowing anything about the situation. That´s the special part regarding the Armaverse, it DOESN´T mimic Real World Events/Politics/History

BTW FeoFun, wht you fail to realize is that Max Power just doesn´t give a damn about the real world situation in Iran. That is not equal to him not knowing anything about the situation. That´s the special part regarding the Armaverse, it DOESN´T mimic Real World Events/Politics/History

Which is exactly the "problem", because the hardcore rivet counters so desperately want it to. That's why this pointless, repetitive discussion will never ever go anywhere.

It's also an issue of semantics now. In fact, I would say his latest post is purely semantics. My use of if the word 'create' is too loose for FeoFUN, who is obviously an english professor. Apparently, you did not create something if you did not design it from the ground up out of nothing, as if that is central to the issue we were discussing. It's not enough that he's a bolt counter but now he's a word counter. It's like, please go away.

It's also an issue of semantics now. In fact, I would say his latest post is purely semantics.

True, and that's an irritating but smart way to troll.

Too many excuses sort of 'it's a fictional' for the game that pretend to be an 'authentic' and especially 'realistic'.

It's not the real Iran

It's not the real helicopter

It's not the real tank

It's not the real weapons and equipment

It's not the real history and plot

too many fantasies and mismatches to be believable and authentic.

It's not the real Iran

It's not the real tank

:o:..

It's not the real Iran

It's not the real tank

But there is a one thing that we all agree

It's the game

It's ARMA III

:cool:

Too many excuses sort of 'it's a fictional' for the game that pretend to be an 'authentic' and especially 'realistic'.

Totally agree, Arma3 won't be a factual representation of reality, so yes it won't be authentic. I'm so peeved about this lack of authenticity that there is no way in hell I will buy Arma3, I mean seriously who really cares about awesome new animations, awesome Physx simulation, awesome new lighting, awesome new sounds, awesome new massive maps, awesome new underwater environments, awesome new muzzle flashes, awesome new ragdoll animations, awesome new user interface, awesome new mods, awesome new MP missions........

This post is win.

Cry me a river, FeoFUN.

Why should i?! And his post is a fail, until the Arma 3 Overview section include phrases 'accurate military combat' and 'authentically simulated aircraft, vehicles and ships'. You did it much better in your previous games. Not ideal(no one is ideal), but you've tried, at least.

Admit the truth - change the words 'accurate' and 'authentic' to your favorite word 'fictional'. This will be fair, at least - becuase this word is your only and the last argument here.

Edited by FeoFUN

What about: A3 will be authentic in Armaverse aka alternate reality? Of course we all need more + new infos/pictures/ingame videos to continue our speculations, thoughts, hopes and fears .... :)

Well you dont hear me complaining that Ireland is part of NATO in arma3. Why? Because real politics shouldnt affect this game. What should affect it is what arma was made for...a realistic tactics and simulation shooter

EDIT:

@feofun

'authentically simulated aircraft, vehicles and ships' refers to the way they handle, not if they exist are not

Totally agree, Arma3 won't be a factual representation of reality, so yes it won't be authentic. I'm so peeved about this lack of authenticity that there is no way in hell I will buy Arma3, I mean seriously who really cares about awesome new animations, awesome Physx simulation, awesome new lighting, awesome new sounds, awesome new massive maps, awesome new underwater environments, awesome new muzzle flashes, awesome new ragdoll animations, awesome new user interface, awesome new mods, awesome new MP missions........

OFP, Arma 1, Arma 2, Steel Beasts, Falcon 4.0, Flanker 1/1.5, DCS, Harpoon, good old Rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon - the list of the great simulations without all of these features might be very long.

And your quote is a nice example of the...new Crysis game and engine advertisement, but it's not the "authentic and accurate military simulation game".

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

'authentically simulated aircraft, vehicles and ships' refers to the way they handle, not if they exist are not

REALLY?! And what is that way? How did you come to such a conclusion? By what criteria?

REALLY?! And what is that way? How did you come to such a conclusion? By what criteria?

what is that way? well "that way" is how the mh-6 handles in real life, being as accurately as possible recreated in arma.how do i come to this conclusion and what criteria? its called TKOH and physx.

how do you come to the conclusion that this isnt what "authentically simulated aircraft, vehicles and ships" means? :cool: