Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

Ragdolling players without killing them?

Only thing which is needed to be shown here:

BIS, do it please :D

Absolutely. :) It was said that it is possible in the engine and some sort of active ragdoll system would enhance ragdoll extremely. These subtle moves, not only when falling but also when e.g. getting hit by a car or shot at, add a huge amount to how realistic it looks.

There are however some problems. Remember that unlike the character in Overgrowth, the arma 3 character is holding a weapon in his hands, so it would require that he drops it before. (Which is already the case if I recall correctly).

Preventing unnatural moves and making ragdoll look as lifelike as possible by adding these animations increases realism and immersion immensely!

Edit: Speaking about "Ragdolling Players without killing them", there is a lot of potential regarding non-lethat weapons.

Tranquillizer rifles can be used to paralyze enemies or civilians for a certain time without killing them. This would bear potential for story elements like capturing HVT targets or other interesting gameplay elements.

Edited by PurePassion

Well if loosing the weapon is a problem could a weapon sling be incorperated?

Ragdoll and the new sound engine are the things I'm most excited about for ArmA 3! I really hope we have that live ragdoll effect.

Only thing which is needed to be shown here:

BIS, do it please :D

Wow that is really cool ragdoll simulation that game has.

And not to be disrespectful to the OP but i think he/she should add the link to the original post as a good example. :)

Absolutely. :) It was said that it is possible in the engine and some sort of active ragdoll system would enhance ragdoll extremely. These subtle moves, not only when falling but also when e.g. getting hit by a car or shot at, add a huge amount to how realistic it looks.

There are however some problems. Remember that unlike the character in Overgrowth, the arma 3 character is holding a weapon in his hands, so it would require that he drops it before. (Which is already the case if I recall correctly).

Preventing unnatural moves and making ragdoll look as lifelike as possible by adding these animations increases realism and immersion immensely!

Edit: Speaking about "Ragdolling Players without killing them", there is a lot of potential regarding non-lethat weapons.

Tranquillizer rifles can be used to paralyze enemies or civilians for a certain time without killing them. This would bear potential for story elements like capturing HVT targets or other interesting gameplay elements.

Actually character in Overgrowth can hold a weapon as well.

GTA 4 never had that issue. It shouldn't be TOO terribly hard. ;)

GTA 4 never had that issue. It shouldn't be TOO terribly hard. ;)

You just reminded me of something, there's a 1st person mod for GTA 4, you guys should try it. It's a good way to see how ragdolling looks from 1st person - awesome IMO.

This would make rifle butting and pistol whiping so epic.

If those Overgrowth developers include realistic human character models, KA-BAR's, bayonet's and Ghurka knives I'll be buying it.

If those Overgrowth developers include realistic human character models, KA-BAR's, bayonet's and Ghurka knives I'll be buying it.

They won't. They do supply the animation rigs and scripts for Blender and everything one needs to import character and weapon models though. It's very moddable.

They won't.

I find it peculiar that they are deliberately limiting their total customer base to a fraction of what it could be, the Overgrowth technology has so much unrealized potential. Me personally, I'd take be taking full advantage of the unique gameplay features and target fans of samurai/ninja/Knights in shining armour style fighting before other developers exploit this new technology.

I find it peculiar that they are deliberately limiting their total customer base to a fraction of what it could be, the Overgrowth technology has so much unrealized potential. Me personally, I'd take be taking full advantage of the unique gameplay features and target fans of samurai/ninja/Knights in shining armour style fighting before other developers exploit this new technology.

i for one applaud the creativity and difference from most other games out there: i actually like the bunnies and all the other creatures they've created.

it is a technology show-off. i bought it long time ago even though i hardly have any time left for gaming, much less dicking about with alphas..i might actually give a try this weekend to the latest build

i for one applaud the creativity and difference from most other games out there

From a technical standpoint I totally agree with you.

i actually like the bunnies and all the other creatures they've created.

Call me a dull fuddy-duddy but fluffy ninja rabbits don't exactly overwhelm me with amazement. I think it is only a matter of time before more astute game developers employ the new technology.

Well if loosing the weapon is a problem could a weapon sling be incorperated?

Ragdoll and the new sound engine are the things I'm most excited about for ArmA 3! I really hope we have that live ragdoll effect.

dropping your weapon when been knocked to the ground is a good feature.

Having the option of a sling is also cool.

What is even better is where these items, empty at4's, empty magazines, etc would act as shrapnel and injure those nearby.

This should also work with interacting with buildings and trees for example? I can't tell how many times I've ran into doorposts or against trees while scanning the area around me.

Doesn't need to immediately mean you fall on your back, could a simple 'push off' or 'raise arms and defend face' fit too.

dropping your weapon when been knocked to the ground is a good feature.

E3 footage shows at least 2 of the soldiers dropping their rifles. You may need to change the video quality to 1080p.

nZSk1UXjWQQ&context=C422ddc7ADvjVQa1PpcFODIfYh5xtQeNWMxX7Jna6wRmFovYP-R3g=

Hi, the modern slings don't allow or make really hard that you loose your weapon because the blast of a nearby grenade or other not too big explosions or deflagrations; they should add slings to the weapons, with weight and mass, and an option on the Actions Menu to Sling Weapon On or Sling Weapon Off, taking some time and having some effects. Let's C ya

wipman optional weapons slings might create a problem when trying to take possession of a dead soldier's weapon. It would be kind of impossible to confiscate weapons from dead enemies if they are anchored by a sling.

E3 footage shows at least 2 of the soldiers dropping their rifles.

Very nice! As far as I can tell though, those guys are dead/dying. We really need to be able to lose weapon without dying (due to blast, weapon hit by a round, etc).

I think the cost/benefit ratio of ragdolling living foot units, is immensely in favor of BI here if they put it in. The wow factor will bring in more customers, and Arma3 makes way more money! Hope we see it in game.

"Ragdolling" live units + 1st person view would make some nice moments. And many weird ones....

There are few flashy mainstream games that use it, so I don´t believe they will implement it.

Ragdolling 'Live' units would be sweet but theres no way in hell they'd be able to lose their weapons as you'd have an AI micromanagement nightmare. 12 man fireteam takes concussive blast damage and lose their guns:

"3, outta ammo"

"7, outta ammo"

"5, ow that shit hurt! Outta ammo"....

Ragdolling 'Live' units would be sweet but theres no way in hell they'd be able to lose their weapons as you'd have an AI micromanagement nightmare. 12 man fireteam takes concussive blast damage and lose their guns:

"3, outta ammo"

"7, outta ammo"

"5, ow that shit hurt! Outta ammo"....

That happen all the time in the "Man of War" series and they can handle themselves pretty well most times. OK, its a RTS but still...

Afaik killed AI's in A2OA are loosing their rifles but it looks a bit too weird how those rifles spin around, imo those weapons just have to drop down without this extra spin. In how many situations during a battle/firefight a soldier would loose his weapon and how often? Isn't it more important to get some proper animations for stumbling, sliding and falling down so the player gets somekind of "real" feedback of the ground/terrain or objects he is walking at? What about climbing or better/more swimming + diving animations? Or some animations to packing and unpack stuff, some finger animations like dialing/selecting or much more improved + userfriendly hand signals.....

Never tried those games (look good btw!) but just seems it's an awful lot to ask of this engine. We've already got enough trouble with AI intelligently using and holding cover -now add that they are unarmed (requiring a whole new set of animations) and need to decide whether to run for that wall or retrieve their weapon while under fire. I forsee headless chicken madness to the extreme :p