Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Arma 3 Community Alpha - Announcement!

Hate to use this. But. "Not sure if serious. Or just doesn't get what arma is about..."

"Not sure if serious. Or just one of this arma experts."

fat_man.jpg

If I have clearly understood what Jennik tell me -the noise from the Gree and SoundBlaster booths was tremendous- the Community Alpha is a bit postponed , until this Autumn or ... this Winter (let's remember that winter on our latitudes begins November 7th), from the start, the Alpha has been designed to be SP ... as the same time the work on MP features is going on, so at the moment nobody can tell what can be the content of the Alpha MP wise when release time will come.

Hopefully it has at least the editor. I would love to play some missions with my friends.

Hopefully it has at least the editor. I would love to play some missions with my friends.

I think the editor's presence in the alpha has been mentioned in a few videos, though I don't know whether this is considered an 'official' statement or not.

They're even talking about mods in the alpha. Mods would make zero sense without the editor, since otherwise it would be impossible to use them - therefore if mods are in, the editor is in.

Yay! I hope the editor does make it in. Will be fun!

Also glad to hear about mod support possibly being in. Might give mod teams a head start in creating content/porting in content. That way we can have ace 3 closer to release and also maybe we will see RobertHammer's stuff in alpha.

Need... Alpha... Now...

They're even talking about mods in the alpha. Mods would make zero sense without the editor, since otherwise it would be impossible to use them - therefore if mods are in, the editor is in.

Yeah it totally makes sense, its great that we get to check out the modding format before the main game come along. Anyone know what syntax it will be written in this time round? Would be nice for the sake of ease and porting if SQF was still used ;p

Without an editor, it's simply not possible to alpha test the game. So it's quite obvious the editor will be in.

They said from day one that the editor would be in the alpha. Unless they said something to contradict that at some point, this is not news.

Since the Alpha is preorder, I imagine that BIS will be able to let us test a whole host of things beyond the editor. They already got our money so I can't imagine why they would want to hold back stuff for us to test besides when they are trying to get us to test specific features/situations. I think that going down the preorder route gives BIS a ton more freedom with the alpha.

I would actually prefer that BF3 not be a target to emulate at all to be honest. But then again, I'm not a BFoon and don't want to play a game where
. :)

LOL. I enjoyed that intensely :D How it that not possible in A2/OA/A3, except maybe by being immediately forced into a parachute vehicle preventing you from accessing the required actions? A custom HALO eject might not think that far (I certainly don't think it would occur to me) thus allowing the actions to show up which are only governed by proximity and lucky timing :D

I don't like BF, don't even have it, but I don't think this was a deliberate "feature" in the game.

I've been playing the BI games from when OFP first came out. Played them all and I'm still playing ARMA2 CO (with all the DLC, ACR being the latest) on a daily base. I visit the forums frequently, but I don't post much on them, just read a lot of the topics. Does that make me a true fan or not? I will buy ARMA3 as well, I know that for sure. So in a way I consider myself a huge fan of the series :)

Regards,

Sharps

Well, it's more like a rethorical question :). But yeah, I consider myself a fan of the series, although I don't post much on the forums :).

Quite some time. Let me quote myself:

* Not an official word but community Alpha seems to come end of the year. The game next year then (obviously). At least that's what I heard.

Source

From my own "Back from Gamescom" story on Armed Assault.info :

If I understood well, the Community Alpha should be delayed until this Autumn or this Winter.

We are more or less already in "Autumn" ... so it will be more probably near "Winter" on our latitudes ...

Winter : The three-month period associated with the coldest average temperatures typically begins somewhere in late November or early December in the Northern Hemisphere and lasts through late February or early March. This "thermological winter" is earlier than the solstice delimited definition, but later than the daylight (Celtic) definition. Depending on seasonal lag, this period will vary between climatic regions. source : Wikipedia

Edited by Old Bear

From my own "Back from Gamescom" story on Armed Assault.info :

We are more or less already in "Autumn" ... so it will be more probably near "Winter" on our latitudes ...

Winter : The three-month period associated with the coldest average temperatures typically begins somewhere in late November or early December in the Northern Hemisphere and lasts through late February or early March. This "thermological winter" is earlier than the solstice delimited definition, but later than the daylight (Celtic) definition. Depending on seasonal lag, this period will vary between climatic regions. source : Wikipedia

Living in Scotland it is like winter every day, so for me the winter release date is pretty vague. :P

@Liquidpinky : I had added the "winter" wikipedia reference because I was thinking about my Australian friend ... their winter is not the same as our.

but giving again a look at Wikipedia I will add :

In Chinese astronomy and other East Asian calendars, winter is taken to commence on or around 7 November, with the Jiéqì (known as 立冬 lì dÅng—literally, "establishment of winter").

And also ...

In the USA (and sometimes in Britain) the season is regarded as beginning at the solstice and ending on the following equinox – in the Northern Hemisphere, depending on the year, this corresponds to the period between 21 or 22 December and 20 or 21 March.

Here, in Marseilles, ... I will wait for the release under clear sky and bright sun drinking the beers I had previously stockpiled when I though the Alpha ought to be released this Summer.

I will wait for the release under clear sky and bright sun drinking the beers I had previously stockpiled when I though the Alpha ought to be released this Summer.

Be careful to not accidently drink your precious beer autographed by Lord Buchta at Gamescom, that valuable item would fetch over $10,000 at auction.

I hope we will get something before december :(

Edited by Papanowel

I'm hoping for october.

Release early, iterate often! :D