Sign in to follow this  
WillPal

Mouse/Keyboard setting preferences

I've just started playing Arma 2 OA (~6hours, still in boot camp) and I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with looking around and aiming at targets. I play on high settings and get very playable fps so it's not a performance issue it's an operator issue.

I understand that this is very player dependant and it goes by feel but I was hoping some more experienced players could give me their thoughts on aimer dead zone, high/low mouse sensitivity on the x/y axis, special keyboard binds, head bobbing etc.

The reasons why you have the settings are more important to me, not the the specific values. I think if I read some theories on why you use your settings it will help me figure out what my goal is.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

PS. I'll be ready to try the campaign soon and I'd really like to play Co-op so if anyone is interested pm me or add me on steam: WillPal1

For me;

I turn head bob off altogether - it may be there for realism, but it makes me feel ill! That kind of realism I can do without!

I turn off mouse smoothing in the Control options as I find it gives me a quicker response and less lag. I think the turn rate is restrcited by the engine anyway so you are never going to get to the stage where you are turning 180 degrees in 0.00001 miliseconds!

I unbind hold-breath from the right-mouse button and bind it to one of my other mouse buttons. This allows me to zoom with the right mouse button without getting winded because I held my breath for too long.

Other than that I haven't really made any control changes (exception being mapping my G940 control system for air flight).

The main thing to remember is that this isn't a 'twitch' shooter like CoD of BF series, so I don't think that sub-milisecond response rates are necessary. It's more about identifying your target, steadying your aim and firing in a controlled manner.

You should consider to change the key for switching optics. The / key on the Numpad requires that you take one hand off the mouse or the keyboard. I changed that to Strg+Right Mouse button

The most important setting IMO is indeed aiming deadzone.

Interestingly in the original OFP I had no problems with the default setting, which can indeed feel kinda sluggish if you're playing "normal" FPS games usually.

Since I played lots of other games between ArmA and ArmA 2, I set the deadzone to zero when I picked up ArmA 2. Feels more intuitive to me now.

I also upped the Y sensitivity by one or two clicks.

Edit:

The main thing to remember is that this isn't a 'twitch' shooter like CoD of BF series, so I don't think that sub-milisecond response rates are necessary. It's more about identifying your target, steadying your aim and firing in a controlled manner.

Agreed.

You should consider to change the key for switching optics. The / key on the Numpad requires that you take one hand off the mouse or the keyboard. I changed that to Strg+Right Mouse button

Didn't know this was possible, thanks for the heads up tonci!

I wish you could have a different mouse sensitivity for aircraft and infantry

Thanks for the input guys, I'm still tinkering with everything. I tried to make hold breathe ctrl+rightclick but it turned red and showed CTRL so I'm not sure how to do it either.

I agree deadzone is important I've tried it maxed, 0'd out, now I play at about half. I think you're right that we've been conditioned to be turned off by a deadzone because of all the other games we play so I may turn it all the way down and see how I like it.

I'm curious as to why you would have different sensitivities for each axis, I know the default has Y higher, I just can't figure out why.

Recommend seperate key for transition to secondary. If you're an infantry guy... I use ~... other people I know use something more conventient to them but it's all how you work, not them.

I have deadzone off. Sensitivity around 3/4+. Smoothing around 1/8th. And with a 5,600 dpi capable mouse, a good mouse pad and clean laser you're set.

If accuracy = bad, suspect the mouse!

I use 2x right mouse button to change to secondary and it works really well once you're used to it

There are many things to improve:

# Use the two toggle stance keys instead of three separate keys

# Use temporary sprint and walk (shift and ctrl for example) to get smooth transition between movement

# Put lean to mouse 4 and 5

# Steady aim to tab

# Easy access to zoom in and out is also important

I posted my profile back in the day.

It has many adjustments to improve the controls.

See also: Game configuration [PvPscene]

I'm curious as to why you would have different sensitivities for each axis, I know the default has Y higher, I just can't figure out why.

With the default settings Y felt a bit slower than X to me, so I upped Y.

Thanks guys, PvPScene that is a great link, I look forward to examining all these different controls.

PvP- I tried looking at the sample config and all the values for actions are numbers, I'm now confused.

Edited by WillPal

The config uses key codes to determine the actual keys. If you look in your current profile you will see it's the same. Basically you replace the section in your own config with that from PvPScene's example (back up your old one first).

Profile can be found at :

c:\users\username\My Documents\Arma 2 Other Profiles\armausername\username.Arma2OAProfile

use notepad to edit it.

Did I mention that you should back it up first! Your config contains other stuff too - you need to paste this example inside the profile replacing the similar section!

Create a new profile or replace your file (you need to adjust the naming of the file).

By this you can check the new key assignment ingame. :)

I have the Logitech Wireless desktop mk700, which i love. Dont know what the model name or number of the mouse that comes with it is but you know the Middle mouse button that also allows you to scroll? Well i JUST discovered you can click the middle mouse button LEFT and RIGHT too! Perfect for lean!! It also has a search or find button that i use for Binos!! Really cool. I did have to download the latest software for configuring the mouse out of game for them all to work, but it allows you to associate mouse settings with the launch of a particular game so no having to reassign the buttons when not playing. Everything seems ok but im not sure yet of any conflicts with mouse software running and arma doing it's thing with your mouse.

Also, I'm thinking of getting one of those fancy gaming mouses with like 5000 buttons. Anyone use one and what do you think? Does it work fine with arma?

As far as I'm aware, those mice with many mice (or at least the Razer Naga) actually require you to use Razer software to bind the mouse keys to specific keyboard keys, then bind those keyboard keys in-game to whatever action you like. This is different than simple 2-5 button mice (such as the Razer Deathadder or Logitech G9) where you can just bind mouse 1-5 to whatever in-game actions you want.

I'm really enjoying my Deathadder, not considering replacing it. After messing around with the key bidnings a lot, I have enough keys on the keyboard to have everything important accessible, and everything less important still bound somewhere on the keyboard.

I also play with no aiming dead zone and no head bob. Makes life easier, especially if you play with no crosshairs.

Mouse smoothing is a setting I never managed to understand. I guess just play with it until you feel you can turn around and aim comfortably (aka with no lag and no spikiness).

Here are a few things I suggest.

Bind the "Optics" function to a mouse button so you can easily use the sights of crew-served weapons. You'll need this in ACE.

Bind the "Toggle View" function to the most easily accessible mouse button. This might not be so great for most people, but I am constantly switching between 3rd and 1st person view when I fly fixed-wing or attack rotary aircraft.

Put "Hold Breath" to Tab.

Bind helicopter controls to a Battlefield-style system. Unbind the "Left turn" and "Right turn" functions entirely, as they do not help you fly. You need to have total control over all functions of the helicopter. (This doesn't apply if you have a joystick.)

Bind the Zoom In / Zoom Out keys to V and B if you only use zooming in vehicles. (Like me.)

SEPARATING "ZOOM/LOCK"

I am always having problems with Zoom/Lock. I want them separate - when I am in a helicopter as pilot, I wanna look around with freelook (mouse button 3), zoom in temporary with another button, and lock targets (for the AI gunner) with mouse button 2.

Problem is, the Zoom/Lock is together. By default, it zooms and locks (and the AI starts firing the cannon) at the same time. If I bind Zoom/Lock to mouse button 2 (not hold just click), I can lock targerts just fine. However, not I cannot get a Hold (some) mouse button to zoom in, release it to zoom back behaviour with any other.

I have even tried some 3rd party mice drivers like x-button with complex macros to get the hold button to zoom, release to zoom back, it doesn't work consistently. That is, in game, some iron sights/weapons are bugged that if you press NUM+ (or equiv. mice button mapped to it), it zooms in, but upon release, doesn't zoom back. With other iron sights, NUM+ zooms in and releasing it zooms back.

Any help please?

(currently with a RAT 5 mouse - if I unbind the 2nd thumb button (shows as mouse #4 ingame), I can assign it as mouse #4 in game, but it does not accept HOLD MOUSE #4. only button it accepts as HOLD is Sec Mouse Button...)

I have assgned the left Alt keyboard/button as "zoom" (usually numpad +) and left the right mouse button as "hold breath and zoom". Works well as you can zoom without breath hold using Alt but then switch to right mouse "hold breath" zoom when you need to take a shot

I have assgned the left Alt keyboard/button as "zoom" (usually numpad +) and left the right mouse button as "hold breath and zoom". Works well as you can zoom without breath hold using Alt but then switch to right mouse "hold breath" zoom when you need to take a shot

Thanks. But with many iron sights and crewed weapons, the Zoom In function (default NUM+) does not return to normal field of view when you release the key. It's also a weapon config bug, probably, ine some cases (well, with mounted M2 HMG you shouldn't be able to zoom in so much that the ironsights fill your whole screen..., about 10x optics...).

So basically, I am just asking if somebody found out a way to have the Lock Or Zoom function on two separate buttons. Either with some mouse driver macro setup, with faking the zoom by some combination of Zoom In/Zoom Toggle or whatever. If not, I guess I will just file a feature request CIT :)

Edited by fraczek

i prefer for my style of gaming a RDFG control.. its way more centered and more keys are reachable..

its funny to see that i got very close to the controls from the PVPscene..

but i use ET for leaning and SPACE+E/T for standup/laydown

this is the biggest tip i can gave... you can combine every key with another..

the limit is that some functions dont work with eachother (ie. Walk + stepover result is a standing soldier only if tapping it it plays the stepover)

because of that you can combine a very effectiv 1 hand control

the only sad thing is that i cant set my wheelright/left to the function i want..