Sign in to follow this  
msy

directx 11.1 will come out. Will BIS bring some new tech into ARMA3 from it?

Most of DX10 and DX11 supporting games look worse than DX9.0c ArmA2

Wonder why

Bigger numbers are overrated

Wonder why

Bigger numbers are overrated

signed

That because they don't get the graphic and modeling development right, instead of the technology of the rendering engine.

That would be like calling a mechanical technician to work in the financial company, wrong method achieved worse result.

99% no - for ArmA 3 it is not necessary

Which is more effective? Parallax mapping or Tessellation-- Regardless of NVIDIA's progaganda for extreme level Tessellation?

I think a new technology has its advantage in proper usage.

A3 will not use Tesseltation for Terrain, and as far as i have seen from The vids screenshot, neither for the other content's visual LODs.

@MSY: effective from what point of view? You can't compare parallax mapping to tesselation, since the later increses the polycount, while the first doesn't.

Which is more effective? Parallax mapping or Tessellation-- Regardless of NVIDIA's progaganda for extreme level Tessellation?

I think a new technology has its advantage in proper usage.

Parallax mapping will be used in ArmA 3 - hopefully updated and better working than in ArmA 2

Best Parallax mapping what i have seen is in the

or in "old"

Tessellation is more used like for to "clear" blocky parts of the model

Edited by RobertHammer

A3 will not use Tesseltation for Terrain, and as far as i have seen from The vids screenshot, neither for the other content's visual LODs.

You never know though, from what I understand, it's all work in progress. And it was stated by Dwarden that the current visuals are not the quality they aim for.

_neo_

That is not something you can really do mid-progress (the content tessellation and displacement that is). You either plan it from the start or you don't

For terrain, doubtfully, but as you said still possible

Parallax mapping will be used in ArmA 3 - hopefully updated and better working than in ArmA 2

Best Parallax mapping what i have seen is in the

or in "old"

Tessellation is more used like for to "clear" blocky parts of the model

It already is used in A2-OA but only for the ground, despite having the tech to use it the texture never appeared on surfaces of brick structures..possibly due to the performance impact to having it on so many things but this again is why BIS NEEDS to make video options more diverse.

I don't know f-all about Tesselation but the little understanding I (think I) have suggests this should be a high priority for ArmA. Wouldn't it allow distant terrain geometry to be approximated efficiently so that a smaller cell-size, yielding nice micro terrain features like ditches, wouldn't be so demanding performance-wise? Wouldn't it also permit much greater view distance so air units don't have to fly around in a fog? Or do I misunderstand its purpose?

It already is used in A2-OA but only for the ground, despite having the tech to use it the texture never appeared on surfaces of brick structures..possibly due to the performance impact to having it on so many things but this again is why BIS NEEDS to make video options more diverse.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I am going to take a guess here that it is also less cost on the GPU to do this?

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:26 ----------

I don't know f-all about Tesselation but the little understanding I (think I) have suggests this should be a high priority for ArmA. Wouldn't it allow distant terrain geometry to be approximated efficiently so that a smaller cell-size, yielding nice micro terrain features like ditches, wouldn't be so demanding performance-wise? Wouldn't it also permit much greater view distance so air units don't have to fly around in a fog? Or do I misunderstand its purpose?

Tessellation is similar to LOD switching. Not similar in the way it does things, but it has a similar, but smoother effect. Really the best way to understand what it does is to watch videos of it in action. The tech demos by Nvidia are usually pretty good for this.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I am going to take a guess here that it is also less cost on the GPU to do this?[color="Silver"

Depends on the card but not necesasrily, in order for the parallax you need a height map so you need at least a diffuse, specular, height map and add in the normal map for the wonderful details and effects it brings. Likewise the card needs to calculate the height to color for each pixel for every texture.

This is why shaders need the ability to disable period, Arma1 had the option of lowest shaders turns off normal maps but we need something further, to turn off heavy process's such as DOF, Normal maps, Parallax, and so on would allow the creators to play with the toys more and not have to be nearly as concerned about player performance since you can disable and enable pending on taste and fps.

Tessellation is overrated and a gimmick

You can do the same thing with polys and the difference in performance will be zero since tessellation drops framerate all the same

I dare say ArmA already does something similar but doing it the DirectX way means it can be benefit from dedicated hardware processing.

so far DX 11.1 is available only in Windows 8 Developer Preview

which is sort of alpha build

also i have yet to see that this specifications are 'final' ...

then first we need Windows 7 drivers support it ...

Tessellation is overrated and a gimmick

You can do the same thing with polys and the difference in performance will be zero since tessellation drops framerate all the same

No. You are wrong. Current implementations of it are gimmick. I'm not sure if you even understand what it is because you compared it with polys, while in reality, it's nothing else but dynamic creation of polys from height maps. It can have similar purpose to LODs, it can also be used to achieve even more detail than LOD_0/1 already has by using grayscale / height maps.

Edited by Minoza

the biggest questions to be answered with Tesselation are

surface lighting

shadows

reflections

and physical interactions (collisions) ...

while i seen several attempts to solve the above ones, it works only in specific cases

hence hard to tell when and what all will be possible

AFAIK there isnt any game with major dx 11 implementation (maybe crysis 2) and of course tesselation would probably cause all kinds of problems. They didnt really talk much about technical side so maybe there will be some suprises.

One thing that made me believe they are at least experimenting with it are these rocks http://www.arma3.com/full/wp-content/gallery/imagery/arma3_screenshot_1107_006.jpg, they have way too many polygons for a generic object

AFAIK there isnt any game with major dx 11 implementation (maybe crysis 2) and of course tesselation would probably cause all kinds of problems. They didnt really talk much about technical side so maybe there will be some suprises.

Tesselation used corectly with displacement maps is a pretty cool feature.

This feature is new only for live renders and game engines, and you see it's results in most of the CGI parts for movies for at least 5 years or so.

I have been using displacements maps for some time as well for architecture (but not only) visualization with great success.

One thing that made me believe they are at least experimenting with it are these rocks http://www.arma3.com/full/wp-content/gallery/imagery/arma3_screenshot_1107_006.jpg, they have way too many polygons for a generic object

That is not a high poly object i am afraid ;) It's just a properly done normal map (i would love to be parallax mapping but i really doubt it).

The small "Brain" rocks could have parallax effects, the shape of the ridges have subtle yet smooth creases and height changes that a low-mid poly can't give.

the biggest questions to be answered with

physical interactions (collisions) ...

Will it possible to use the fixed collision model into the tessellation model?