Sign in to follow this  
Dead3ye

Amazing blood effects that should be in Arma 3

There is an indie game in production at the moment called Overgrowth, and its animation and effects are second to none from what i have seen. A new feature was added for amazing blood and location damage effects that really make wounds something to think about. The effect itself is not resource heavy at all and couldn't be too hard to impliment. At 0:36 is an excellent representation of what a gunshot to the neck and throat would look like. The amazing thing about these blood effects are that they are painted ontop of the characters textures, and they include entry and exit wounds, with blood dripping down with gravity at different rates depending which section of the body the strike crossed. With the way the texture pixels work by storing blood content information, accurate blood loss could also be implimented.

uimWTO7H1Fs&feature=channel_video_title

Edited by Dead3ye

=)

I remember talking about this, with a similar video of theirs. I would love to see it.

It would certainly help with telling exactly where someone is hit, and would make gunfights much more visceral.

Most likely gore and better blood effects will be modded.

BIS seems like they dont want to bother with gore.

But they did say that dismembermant should be possible with the new physx and animation system.

That game in the video is...brilliant!

I mean, have you ever been so high you transformed into an anthromorphic bunny then beat the shit out of other bunnies?

:p

Now OT, those blood effects are actually very nice!

While we don't really need to go to that much detail, a wound texture's position should be precisely where you were shot. It was already in Rogue Spear.

I didn't think the blood effects looked good tbh, didn't look natural.

Well it was on a six foot tall walking rabbit in clothing.

I think its more about the technique behind this. The individual effects are not so important but the way he solved this problem is. Very nice concept i would appreciate in Arma 3

Too much work - in that technique showed in that video , you need there special texture for blood/bleeding and i agree it didn't look natural

BIS said they don't want so much Gore details in their game and it's fine how it is now - maybe they could tweak the wound texture somehow to show only where player got hit

Well it was on a six foot tall walking rabbit in clothing.

LOL, very true mate. :D

It's meant to be unrealistic, the game offers that amount of creativity. It's a game which hosts rabbits, wolves and other creatures to fight for God sake. :p His point was that it would be good to see similar effects in-game, and of course whatever BIS would give the community would modify to fit whatever purpose, namely being realism. It's not going to spray 5m's away like seen in the video.

I preordered it, funnily enough, because of a link in another ARMA 3 post. Very happy. Such a fun game.

I'm a fan of blood effects in general, not because of the gore, but because of the extra info it can give you. My favourite is blood splatter, where you can often see what direction the incoming round came from, useful if you come across a bunch of dead bodies and you're trying to work out what happened.

Also, bleeding units who bleed onto the ground as they go is useful for working out what direction units went.

I see a lot of blood now, in fact I watched about 6 pink puffs come out of a guy yesterday when my tanks coax was tearing him up. Then he got up and ran away. Just served to piss me off. lol

Damn that game is really pushing some cutting edge stuff! Too bad it's combat looks silly and repetitive :(

Would support some enhanced blood effect for Arma but defintely taking this video over to the M&B forums where it'd be a bullseye fit.

Well, to be fair that game is still only setting up basic ingame mechanics, there's no what you would call actual gameplay there yet.

But they did say that dismembermant should be possible with the new physx and animation system.

so if BIS don't want to bother with all the gore stuff, does this mean it can be created with mods ( remember SLX wounds or that A1 addon that add more blood and stuff ) ?

Well, to be fair that game is still only setting up basic ingame mechanics, there's no what you would call actual gameplay there yet.

Well I guess I'm basing it off playing the prequel demo which looked similar without the bells and whistles. Just a little too speedy for my tastes -would be great if had the old school style of a Virtua-Fighter.

Wow I remember playing this ages ago, was a good bit of fun! The blood looks pretty good in the video but I wonder what performance impact something like that would have...

I really think some level of "gore" should be added, but not just for the sake of adding gore. It should be realistic.

I find it odd that Arma bills itself as the most realistic military simulator yet it is one of the least violent games I have seen in terms of gore. :p War is gory, gross, disgusting and dirty. That should be conveyed, otherwise some might consider it to be glamorizing the experience.

---------- Post added at 11:25 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Too much work - in that technique showed in that video , you need there special texture for blood/bleeding and i agree it didn't look natural

BIS said they don't want so much Gore details in their game and it's fine how it is now - maybe they could tweak the wound texture somehow to show only where player got hit

It wouldn't require you to make a texture from the look of it. It appears to be an engine level mask texture that procedurally turns areas into "blood" areas that then overlay and mix with the textures under it. I doubt you'd have to do much if at all to accommodate for it on models.

I really think some level of "gore" should be added, but not just for the sake of adding gore. It should be realistic.

I find it odd that Arma bills itself as the most realistic military simulator yet it is one of the least violent games I have seen in terms of gore. :p War is gory, gross, disgusting and dirty. That should be conveyed, otherwise some might consider it to be glamorizing the experience.

Of course, it could accidentally become funny. I remember playing Gun one day, and I threw a stick of dynamite into a 'salon'. Then, a leg landed in front of me :yay:

Overdone or "realistic" gore would also be glamorizing it, like it or not. To put it in a game is usually asking for more trouble than you need. I don't think gore is in any way within the interests of BIS in any case, they just like the battlefield functionalities not the (arguable) titillation.

I mean don't get me wrong, I like a bit of gore, seeing SLX rip apart a guy standing next to me actually shocks me a little, because I was not expecting to see it happen right in front of me :) and it was effective. But, BIS are not interested in doing that.