Sign in to follow this  
cpl_hicks

Will large ships be able to move?

For instance carriers this time around?

Just curious have not heard anything on that.....

They've said a few times larger ships won't really be pilotable or anything since that's out of the scope of the game. They'd like it, but it's super low priority.

I would be happy if they can be given waypoints in the Editor

there are not supposed to be any drivable ships/submarines as far as we know, but because of physx it should be possible. Now large objects have to be divided to smaller parts to even have the collisions.

So I hope for star destroyers with dozens of gunners and elevators, fighters in hangars, zero gravity etc. :rolleyes:

Large object divided into small doesnt work well at all in ArmA2, so hopefully BIS will increate the "usable" model size to 150m x 150m x 150m, not the current ~50m cube.

At least a few ships would fit into a 150m long dimension.

The Physx would be nice too, but not overly essentual.

A 150m walkable deck I'd prefer! ;)

I really hope bigger units can be made and that they leave scope for it to be added in game later if its not allready included....

It they say the physx will allow walking on big ships so you don't fall, don't worry.

COMMUNITY WILL TACKLE THE CHALLENGE!!!!

I envision that JDOG and GNAT will inmediately port their Aircraft carriers and that Icebreakr will do a giant supermap so we can enable sea battles.

Now what I would also like would be targeteable ammo classes. So enemy missiles could be attacked with CIWS or your own missiles

Now what I would also like would be targeteable ammo classes. So enemy missiles could be attacked with CIWS or your own missiles

Didn't JDOG Already accomplish this? or was it Mando?

Slightly OT but I've been wondering if crew can fall out of smaller craft should it capsize (using physx) or will they be glued to seats no matter what.

Slightly OT but I've been wondering if crew can fall out of smaller craft should it capsize (using physx) or will they be glued to seats no matter what.

Thats actually a really good point... Making rigid raiders more carefull how they bomb across the water... Problem might be with A.I though... I imagine its pretty hard to teach them to slow down on massive waives and sharp turns that catch air and such..

It they say the physx will allow walking on big ships so you don't fall, don't worry.

COMMUNITY WILL TACKLE THE CHALLENGE!!!!

I envision that JDOG and GNAT will inmediately port their Aircraft carriers and that Icebreakr will do a giant supermap so we can enable sea battles.

Mankyle I like the way you think, imagine a seawhiz saving your ship from an incoming missile!!

Being able to create large moving objects will be insane, the possibilities would be endless. This game is already impossibly ambitious that would bring it to a whole new level:yay:

Thats actually a really good point... Making rigid raiders more carefull how they bomb across the water... Problem might be with A.I though... I imagine its pretty hard to teach them to slow down on massive waives and sharp turns that catch air and such..

Arma 2 already kicks you out if you capsize, i've done it before. Try setting weather to worst, drive as fast as you can in a RHIB and do a U-turn.

Arma 2 already kicks you out if you capsize, i've done it before. Try setting weather to worst, drive as fast as you can in a RHIB and do a U-turn.

On another note, passengers are ejected from an MH-6 upon its destruction. It makes for quite a spectacle. :D

Will large ships be able to move?

Well I hope so, otherwise it will be just a piece of land shaped like a ship.

Mankyle I like the way you think, imagine a seawhiz saving your ship from an incoming missile!!

Being able to create large moving objects will be insane, the possibilities would be endless. This game is already impossibly ambitious that would bring it to a whole new level

You simply don't know how much.

Imagine a driveable, armed LHD on which airplanes and helicopters can land.

It moves, can transport soldiers and can fire missiles and use Phalanx CIWS.

It can also use countermeasures against enemy missiles and can deploy hovercrafts and LCUs.

If PHYSX allow better movement then porting the LHD to Arma 3 will allow incredible things such as using the LHD as a movable base which can transport airplanes and choppers.

To some extent it can be done in Arma 2 using some clever scripting (thanks GNAT) and I have some ideas that would turn the LPD29 addon into an incredible mobile base.

We will have to wait for one year it seems.... :mad:

Whilst I do not hope for the very large ships (super carriers, destroyers, frigates, cruisers) to be drivable, which would not be realistic AFAIK, because these ships operate over the horizon IRL and would never come close to shores due to land based threats. What I hope for is smaller ships, which are yet capable of transporting troops and equipment. Namely the LCAC, LST, LSI, etc. So in short, ships which operate closer to shores and are designed support ongoing (mostly amphibious) operations from the sea.

You simply don't know how much.

Imagine a driveable, armed LHD on which airplanes and helicopters can land.

It moves, can transport soldiers and can fire missiles and use Phalanx CIWS.

It can also use countermeasures against enemy missiles and can deploy hovercrafts and LCUs.

If PHYSX allow better movement then porting the LHD to Arma 3 will allow incredible things such as using the LHD as a movable base which can transport airplanes and choppers.

To some extent it can be done in Arma 2 using some clever scripting (thanks GNAT) and I have some ideas that would turn the LPD29 addon into an incredible mobile base.

We will have to wait for one year it seems.... :mad:

You know what? That somehow sounds like Carrier Command :p

Well,... Yes

Last year in september I unbinarized the LHD p3ds and edited them I added weapons to the LHD, added contact points, created a new config and created a movable, driveable, armed LHD.

Planes and helicopters could land and attachto to it.

I even added scripts so the AI could take off alone without external intervention.

But, as that (unbinarizing the p3ds) went against the EULA I was banned for 6 weeks.

Since that I stopped working on it and erased the unbinarized files.

The last version I had could achieve most of the desired goals, such as being a mobile base capable of transporting a lot of personnel and I imagine that if Arma 3 engine would allow us more freedom such and addone would inmediately turn into a "must have addon".

And for the LCAC, Sgt Flyer's LCAC is a very good model. he people that is working on it have a textured version which will be of a very good quality.

BTW, I think that Slatts (AKA "The Blink") is working on a gryffon military hovercraft such as the one the royal marines use.

5.jpg?1251803730

Edited by mankyle

Couldn't reproduce. Spun 360's for 10 minutes in worst weather and all's I found was nausea. Also drive straight ahead and spun but no capsize :(

Well,... Yes

Last year in september I unbinarized the LHD p3ds and edited them I added weapons to the LHD, added contact points, created a new config and created a movable, driveable, armed LHD.

Planes and helicopters could land and attachto to it.

I even added scripts so the AI could take off alone without external intervention.

But, as that (unbinarizing the p3ds) went against the EULA I was banned for 6 weeks.

Since that I stopped working on it and erased the unbinarized files.

The last version I had could achieve most of the desired goals, such as being a mobile base capable of transporting a lot of personnel and I imagine that if Arma 3 engine would allow us more freedom such and addone would inmediately turn into a "must have addon".

And for the LCAC, Sgt Flyer's LCAC is a very good model. he people that is working on it have a textured version which will be of a very good quality.

BTW, I think that Slatts (AKA "The Blink") is working on a gryffon military hovercraft such as the one the royal marines use.

http://www.griffonhoverwork.com/images/applications/mil/5.jpg?1251803730

Very interesting so am I to understand that you were banned due to some rule you broke? EULA? What is that all aboot and what is the purpose?

Sounds like you did some really cool work!!

Edited by Foxhound
Do not quote images!

Very interesting so am I to understand that you were banned due to some rule you broke? EULA? What is that all aboot and what is the purpose?

Sounds like you did some really cool work!!

EULA is part of every software. It stands for End User License Agreement. It's basically the long text you never read when you install a game. EULA are basically rules which dictate what you can and can not do with the given software.

Unbinarizing BIS work is forbidden.

EULA is part of every software. It stands for End User License Agreement. It's basically the long text you never read when you install a game. EULA are basically rules which dictate what you can and can not do with the given software.

Unbinarizing BIS work is forbidden.

I see so basically he did that in order to work around a limitation that they (BIS) most likely left in on purpose.

Is it reasonable to assume size limitations on large moving vehicles are in place not based on technical issues but instead so that people cannot create whole new games out of mods thus possibly biting into future revenue that BIS can create with new games?

If so I understand the justification in that but there must be a way we can have both.....hmmm I hope BIS can make it happen!

Well

I'm goint to explain what I did, in Arma 2, to overcome some of the limitations of the engine.

If you have a multipart model, such as the LHD or the new LPD 29, you have to create a couple points in the memory LOD.

Those points must be located in the relative position of the multipart P3Ds respect the main p3d of the object. Therefore, when whe use the init eventhandler to create the other models ingame these will be attached to those points.

The instruction in the init script would something like:

LHD_part2 = "Land_LHD_house_2" createvehicle getpos LHDspawn;
LHD_part2 attachto [LHDspawn,[0,0,0],"LHD_House_2"];

where the Land_LHD_house_2 class is attached to a point called LHD_House_2.

Any turreted weapon must be added in the main resolution LOD of the main p3d and removed from any of the secondary models.

Therefore a big multiturreted model can be created.

And finally, if you use two turrets one of them must have "primaryobserver=1" and the other must have "primarygunner=1" in the config in order to have Operation Arrowhead radar.

For example the new LPD 29 addon by 15th MEU. It is composed of three models:

LPD_SEC_BOW.p3d

LPD_SEC_MID.p3d

LPD_SEC_AFT.p3d

We would remove the RAM launcher from the LPD_SEC_MID.p3d and would add it to the LPD_SEC_BOW.p3d in the correct relative position in the p3d so when we attach the other two p3ds the RAM launcher stays in the same relative position respect to the LPD_SEC_BOW.

We would create two points in the memory LOD of the LPD_SEC_BOW called:

LPD_SEC_MID

LPD_SEC_AFT

These we must move and displace so when we attach the other models using the attachto instruction to attach the models to these points the models are attached to the LPD_SEC_BOW in the correct relative position.

LPD_SEC_MID attachto [LPDspawn,[0,0,0],"LPD_SEC_MID];

LPD_SEC_AFT attachto [LPDspawn,[0,0,0],"LPD_SEC_AFT];

With a good config.cpp we would have a movable LPD armed with 2 RAM launchers and 2 25 mm cannons.

Finally, in the landing pad position we would create a couple of points in the memory LOD which will be the points where we will attach helicopters or VSTOL planes via an action and some scripting.

GNAT has a good attachto script in his frigates.

With this we would have a movable ship than can have multiple turrets and than can tranport choppers and VSTOL planes, even when moving.

Then details such as particle effects or some animations could be added.

Edited by mankyle