Sign in to follow this  
Wasrad

PLEASE be secure..PLEASE....

the hacking in ARMA 2 has killed the multiplayer community. Just today, I have tried playing on several different servers and then hackers, claiming to be Team Deadly, screw it all up.

Has there been any statements or anything what so ever about ARMA 3 being more secure?

This is just absolutely ridiculous

the hacking in ARMA 2 has killed the multiplayer community. Just today, I have tried playing on several different servers and then hackers, claiming to be Team Deadly, screw it all up.

Has there been any statements or anything what so ever about ARMA 3 being more secure?

I believe that the problem stems from the fact that global variables are basically just giant memory spaces floating around for every hacker to get his grubby little hands on.

I have never attempted to do anything malicious with arma2. But from pvp mission scripting experience, the vulnerabilities are very obvious.

There are a few other things that killed Multiplayer...one reason...other players, other reason, no VOIP, strange A.I., arcade-like overpowered AT weapons, Ãœber-Power-Arcade Air units vs. reasonable realistic ground units, broken unit funtions, clunky charactr movement, the same mission over and over again on the same island etc. It is not only hacking or cheating...AND ArmA OA is an old game...some simply migrated to BF. Edited by Beagle

There are a few other things that killed Multiplayer...one reason...other players, other reason, no VOIP, strange A.I., arcade-like overpowered AT weapons, Ãœber-Power-Arcade Air units vs. reasonable realistic ground units, broken unit funtions, clunky charactr movement, the same mission over and over again on the same island etc. It is not only hacking or cheating...AND ArmA OA is an old game...some simply migrated to BF.

Ohhh, yes?

Best Regards...

There are a few other things that killed Multiplayer...one reason...other players, other reason, no VOIP, strange A.I., arcade-like overpowered AT weapons, Ãœber-Power-Arcade Air units vs. reasonable realistic ground units, broken unit funtions, clunky charactr movement, the same mission over and over again on the same island etc. It is not only hacking or cheating...AND ArmA OA is an old game...some simply migrated to BF.

Perhaps you should follow?

No, I don't buy new games anymore.

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM ----------

No, I don't buy new games anymore and I stoped caring much for MP at all, you now...too much Morons on public for any serious gamplay.

Back on topic...

Yes please do make it more secure!!! This is pretty critical. Maybe some people don't care about multiplayer, but MOST peopel these days do want some kind of multiplayer experience. No matter whether it is co-operative, or PvP, or whatever, cheaters wreck it for everyone.

Please lock it down!

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

It seems to me that to lock it down you need a few things:

1. A reliable way of banning users who are caught cheating by BIS. Something equivalent to a VAC ban on steam, so that cheaters can't just hop from one server to the next, they actually have to rebuy the game to keep on cheating. This would be where the games' own anti-cheat software has detected a hack. That user should be off for good, never come back to MP on anybody's server ever again.

2. A way to lock down the code running on someone's local machine. It's great to run your own client-side mods, but when you connect to a server, you should only be able to run mods that are explicitly approved by the server admin. This should be verified by the anti-cheat system via signature checks and memory scans.

3. Built in tools to allow players/admins on a multiplayer system to deal with cheaters locally in an effective way. Votebans, server admin bans. Local bans that can be imposed immediately.

I take back my other wishes. If you fix only ONE thing in ArmA3--fix the security.

It seems to me that to lock it down you need a few things:

1. A reliable way of banning users who are caught cheating by BIS. Something equivalent to a VAC ban on steam, so that cheaters can't just hop from one server to the next, they actually have to rebuy the game to keep on cheating. This would be where the games' own anti-cheat software has detected a hack. That user should be off for good, never come back to MP on anybody's server ever again.

Already possible, not VAC, but you can perma ban people pretty easily. Yes they can come back with another ID, but thats what having a good administration staff is all about. You can't expect public servers to just run themselves, that is asking WAY too much.

2. A way to lock down the code running on someone's local machine. It's great to run your own client-side mods, but when you connect to a server, you should only be able to run mods that are explicitly approved by the server admin. This should be verified by the anti-cheat system via signature checks and memory scans.

Already implemented, but most servers do not turn it on, or allow a broad spectrum of stupid crap. Gotta have my WarFX, custom faces, and other bling bling!!! :rolleyes:

3. Built in tools to allow players/admins on a multiplayer system to deal with cheaters locally in an effective way. Votebans, server admin bans. Local bans that can be imposed immediately.

I take back my other wishes. If you fix only ONE thing in ArmA3--fix the security.

Again, that is already possible? Try doing a little research before suggesting things that have been around for over a decade.

Its not Hacking... The very popular addon that the so called hackers like to run is called "Lost Key". It allows them to spawn multiple vehicles, explosions and teleport around.

The problem with the public servers you mentioned is that they don't take advantage of the anti cheating measures that are there to use.

As nou said, the administrators should be competent and use these features. They should also check the addons they put on their allowed list so that they don't destroy performance on the server.

There's no hacking in ArmA2. BIS has nothing to do with admins running crappy public servers allowing whatever mods you want.

the hacking in ARMA 2 has killed the multiplayer community

I'm playing ArmA2 online for nearly 2 years now and haven't had witnessed a single "hacking" or dead multiplayer community

Keywords: private server, password, limited set of addons

metalcraze your view on reality is really real.

His point stands though. If you allow key-less addons, you allow hackers by default. You have to either stick to keys or trust who you play with. Personally I choose the latter.

Already possible, not VAC, but you can perma ban people pretty easily. Yes they can come back with another ID, but thats what having a good administration staff is all about. You can't expect public servers to just run themselves, that is asking WAY too much.

I don't mean perma ban from YOUR server. I mean perma ban from playing the game in MP mode anywhere. Something that basically bans your registration key somehow. In the case of VAC, it bans your steam account. Something like that.

The idea is to make cheating costly. If getting caught causes your entire global account to get banned so that you cannot play anywhere and you have to spend money buying the game again it's a financial deterrent to cheating.

This should NOT be something that a server admin can implement, because a spiteful server admin might just ban someone they don't like, rather than someone who was cheating. It should be something that happens if the anti-cheat software detects that you are running code that is a known cheat.

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

@Polar Bear = i'm not sure if You try troll or completely missed the standard features available for admins (some are there for years)

I've never run a server so I don't know what is present. What I do know is that hacking is widespread and rampant on ArmA servers. So if the measures that I mentioned are already available, is there some reason why admins are choosing not to use them? Are they difficult to implement? Maybe they made to be made easier to enable or support? Alternately, are hackers finding a way to defeat these measures?

All I know is that there is a problem.

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

You know, if all those measures are in place and there is STILL hacking, then I would revise my request to be just, please audit the security situation, find out what is the problem here--why so much hacking--and take steps to resolve whatever is the problem.

Edited by Polar Bear

There is no "hacking" on secured servers.

You can do whatever you want with keyless public servers. You can make a mod and use it to break the game as much as you want. Server admins choose not to limit their servers either because:

a) they want to let you play with whatever "experience-enhancement" mod you want, for example soundmods and for whatever reason don't want to bother installing keys for all of them (e.g. they don't care)

b) they just don't care

BIS won't be able to do anything about it - even if they wanted

(well they wouldn't go around begging server admins to not be lazy and think about "security", would they?)

Edited by metalcraze

I don't mean perma ban from YOUR server. I mean perma ban from playing the game in MP mode anywhere. Something that basically bans your registration key somehow. In the case of VAC, it bans your steam account. Something like that.

This is a very scary feature, and ideally why BIS has not implemented it.

This means the same admin's who are not competent/willing to secure their servers correctly, can then ban me from joining ANY server until I go through some sort of revocation process (which then costs BI money with customer rep time).

This would mean admins of other communities can ban me from joining *my* communities servers that *I* run, just because he wants to be a dick. :?

I think he's suggesting BIS runs a global ban system in where if they determine you are cheating/hacking, you get banned by them.

At least that's how I understood it.

Instead of a "banned once -> instantly banned everywhere" system, I think a kind of "three strikes" system might be more appropriate.

- When you're banned on one server, you're added to a global list with one "strike". You can still join other servers at this point.

- When you're banned on another server you get a second strike.

- If you're banned on a third server you get your third strike and are globally banned.

- The strikes should have an expiration date, so that single bans don't get counted forever. Even legitimate players get banned once in a while.

That way the system would be much more difficult to exploit, I think.

it all look good on paper. but in real life it isnt that simple.

in case of such a system was to be implemented by bis. only game hacks caught by the game engine/anti cheat system should count.

read http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=121438

ensure the servers are secured first ...

@Polar Bear = i'm not sure if You try troll or completely missed the standard features available for admins (some are there for years)

oh here we go again.

if i want to cheatt on "well protected server" i have just to rename the key or the addons and put my cheatt on the cash folder. isn't it?

:j:

Regarding the initial post - we aren't the ones doing that, but I do know who is (there have been several other posts about it, naming him, so I'll leave it at that). Server administrators can contact me via PM on here or eddie@teamdeadly.com to receive their GUIDs and other information. I'll leave it at that.

I don't experience any of those issues you speak of.Seriously it just sounds like fiction to me and its far from being an "old" game.VOIP works just find and so does teamspeak or ventrillo.Migrated to BF?LMFAO,the teeny bopper shooter.Their loss!:j:

Agreed it needs to be more secure. It also needs a way to see who was the hacker. I was on (don't recall the server name) when it was claimed to be hacked by team deadly... Really ruined the game, and the hard work...

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

@WarriorM4, the air units are very arcade...

Edited by 5LEvEN
fixed

it all look good on paper. but in real life it isnt that simple.

in case of such a system was to be implemented by bis. only game hacks caught by the game engine/anti cheat system should count.

Yes exactly. It would only be when a known hack its detected by the anti cheat run by BIS that you would get hit by a global ban. That's how it works with VAC as well. You would never want server admins setting a global ban. They might ban you for being rude, you only want to ban actual cheats.

oh here we go again.

if i want to cheatt on "well protected server" i have just to rename the key or the addons and put my cheatt on the cash folder. isn't it?

:j:

Perhaps describe this in more detail and specifics to Dwarden by PM.