Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

The way it's mentioned makes me think that Altis is incomplete, which I can kind of tell, but that they intend on releasing updates to it in the form of DLC's?

What article were you reading? First he says that they are working on improvements and additions to Altis and makes clear that these will be released for free. Then he mentions DLCs along with the possibility of "new locations", which I understand to mean "new maps". (As opposed to "new pieces of Altis", which would make pretty much zero sense for a DLC.)

What article were you reading? First he says that they are working on improvements and additions to Altis and makes clear that these will be released for free. Then he mentions DLCs along with the possibility of "new locations", which I understand to mean "new maps". (As opposed to "new pieces of Altis", which would make pretty much zero sense for a DLC.)

It's the way he said it. I'm not saying it doesn't mean new locations as in new islands exactly, but I'm taking everything with a grain of salt because it could also mean new locations as in parts of Altis. Like I said, it's the way it was mentioned that makes me suspect it could be, Not that it definitely is going to be.

Also it seems kind of early to be planning DLC when parts of the game are in somewhat of a shambles and still constantly changing. BI turning into EA/Activision now?

It's the way he said it. I'm not saying it doesn't mean new locations as in new islands exactly, but I'm taking everything with a grain of salt because it could also mean new locations as in parts of Altis. Like I said, it's the way it was mentioned that makes me suspect it could be, Not that it definitely is going to be.

Also it seems kind of early to be planning DLC when parts of the game are in somewhat of a shambles and still constantly changing. BI turning into EA/Activision now?

Also it seems kind of early to be planning DLC - Are we developers to know when is right timeframe to release/start working on DLCs?Do we know enough to draw conclusions?

BI turning into EA/Activision now? Your cynical response is completely unnecessary but I understand you that this is coming out of fear of such good studio might "turn bad".

Well the truth that I see it from their action is far away from that.In a light of that spirit you should strive to be more positive to contribute something

good and positive for people and developers who are reading it.

Why are you talking like this? As he said himself in the REPORT IN there's not much for the enviroment department to do right now. So isn't it logical to go a little step ahead?

As the devs have stated themself multiple times now, it would be a disaster if you set the artists to do the programming ;)

Also it seems kind of early to be planning DLC - Are we developers to know when is right timeframe to release/start working on DLCs?Do we know enough to draw conclusions?

BI turning into EA/Activision now? Your cynical response is completely unnecessary but I understand you that this is coming out of fear of such good studio might "turn bad".

Well the truth that I see it from their action is far away from that.In a light of that spirit you should strive to be more positive to contribute something

good and positive for people and developers who are reading it.

I don't need to be a developer to know that trying to develop DLC when your game is in a poor state and constantly changing is probably not a good time to be developing DLC. Wouldn't you rather fix problems first before going and creating even more potential problems? It's kind of common sense. Especially considering their new mantra, quality over quantity. Maybe that went out the window at release though once we realized ArmA 3 failed on both counts though.

To be honest, I see BI turning into the same type of company as EA/Activision or most any other AAA developer in that it's gone from a passion for developing games into worrying about selling and marketing above anything else, including the quality of their game.

DLC means DownLoadable Content.

It has never been said paying DLC (even if some of them will be of course).

For example, update incoming is the first DLC, it's free and it will have new content.

I can't see anything in common between BIS and EA/Activsion about DLCs

What do you expect the map designer to do after they do the small tweaks on Altis?

Correct programming bugs? Create more airplane??

They are map designer and nothing else, they can't help in any other departement.

So if BIS have a DLC planed in 2 year from now, they might as well start this new map right now if they want it to be ready on time.

On one hand people are all upset that there isn't enough content. Now a dev says they have plans for DLC's (ie. new content) and people are up in arms... What:confused:?

Bottom line is: BIS can never win.

Very much so.

Altis is awesome, the environment design team has done a bang up job. I don't see myself looking for community islands anytime soon because altis and stratis pretty much have all bases covered.

I don't need to be a developer to know that trying to develop DLC when your game is in a poor state and constantly changing is probably not a good time to be developing DLC.

"Poor state" as in bugs and performance issues in the engine, neither of which have anything to do with map designers.

Artists don't fix engine bugs, they create content. If "BI becoming like EA" means not having their artists sitting around and twiddling their thumbs until certain people think it's appropriate for them to start working on new content, I welcome it.

Not least since by some people's 'metrics', it would never be appropriate for BI to start working on new content.

Lol yeah map designers planning for a new map. That never happens too early. It takes some time to do this sized maps. They'll never make us to pay something like a new town in Altis. It will be something new like Takistan and Zagrab that came with OA.

Of course they're planning DLCs already. They've planned that there will very likely be some DLCs because they added that supporters get them for free. Also every game in this series has had expansions/DLCs. In Arma 2 there was always a lite version of DLC, so you didn't need to buy it and still have fun with all your friends that had those, and that's the direction what they want to go. Like Marek said in his Report In! he doesn't want to divide the community.

Might be that we can get some technology for free and models/terrains as DLC which also found those technology advances.

Windies' complaint about "low res textures" is belied by the whole point of "textures paid DLC" in Arma being specifically to preserve multiplayer compatiblity without paid DLCs (other than Operation Arrowhead, although that at least was a standalone game)...

Remember, Win comes after Survive and Adapt. They've already done the first part.

you plan for future content usually while the existing content even isn't out ...

if you think everyone works on the content up until gold or after release then you wrong ...

specific staff which relates to planning and design is already working on the content "from future" :)

no difference to any other company there

I don't need to be a developer to know that trying to develop DLC when your game is in a poor state and constantly changing is probably not a good time to be developing DLC. Wouldn't you rather fix problems first before going and creating even more potential problems? It's kind of common sense. Especially considering their new mantra, quality over quantity. Maybe that went out the window at release though once we realized ArmA 3 failed on both counts though.

To be honest, I see BI turning into the same type of company as EA/Activision or most any other AAA developer in that it's gone from a passion for developing games into worrying about selling and marketing above anything else, including the quality of their game.

oh, are we trying to find another "hook" to moan? DLCs were anounced long before. Did you play arma 2 at all? It has standalone DLC with completly new map Takistan + new units and factions. Thats pretty huge dlc, like 100%+ to the arma 2 game. You want BIS to give you such DLC for arma 3 for free? Do you make any sence with that?

It is called having a roadmap for the future and planning for that future. Do you think that if BIS are going to release a new map they haven't already thought about it? Usually even before a game gets released companies are thinking about the "next thing" on the agenda.

And BIS are fixing things, look at the dev branch ffs. And planning ahead with the map designers and fixing bugs are so far apart....

Your saying that quality over quantity has gone out of the window? Mate, where the fuck have you been? Lastly, after all these years do your really think that BIS are gonna turn into EA? Please...

I'd actually prefer BI to become more like EA in certain aspects if those made for a better Arma... and a workflow that makes use of these devs instead of having them cooling their heels sounds like it fits the bill.

I'd actually prefer BI to become more like EA in certain aspects if those made for a better Arma... and a workflow that makes use of these devs instead of having them cooling their heels sounds like it fits the bill.

$3 for co-ax mg and smoke puffs?

What did you just say?! You want the same shit every year, overpriced DLC's (which were cut from the original game content), bonuses which should only exist in F2P games, slow patching and bad support?

i think, you should be more specific here. For example, lets compare progress arma 2 - arma 3, and bf3-bf4. BF4 looks like another DLC for BF3 to me, just slightly bit enhaced graphics new faction and maps. Where Arma 3 looks like a completly new game compared to arma 2. The progress is just huge, graphicaly, physicaly, gameplay core mechanics, soundwise etc. So you want BIS release every year, dlc's with new maps, without much changes, calling it a next game?

i think, you should be more specific here. For example, lets compare progress arma 2 - arma 3, and bf3-bf4. BF4 looks like another DLC for BF3 to me, just slightly bit enhaced graphics new faction and maps. Where Arma 3 looks like a completly new game compared to arma 2. The progress is just huge, graphicaly, physicaly, gameplay core mechanics, soundwise etc. So you want BIS release every year, dlc's with new maps, without much changes, calling it a next game?

Well said Sir, well said.