Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

i think, you should be more specific here. For example, lets compare progress arma 2 - arma 3, and bf3-bf4. BF4 looks like another DLC for BF3 to me, just slightly bit enhaced graphics new faction and maps. Where Arma 3 looks like a completly new game compared to arma 2. The progress is just huge, graphicaly, physicaly, gameplay core mechanics, soundwise etc. So you want BIS release every year, dlc's with new maps, without much changes, calling it a next game?

Yea, it's a huge change. Kinda hard to play Arma 2 now without a lot of these changes.

Nice job putting words in my mouth, guys, really. I could have sworn that I saw a "middle finger" emoticon that would have been appropriate for you guys... :threadjacked:

It's more of "do whatever makes for a better Arma, even if an AAA game company is already doing that"... like, for example, workflow that doesn't wait around on slower elements, in a manner such as Dwarden and dale0404 described ("Usually even before a game gets released companies are thinking about the "next thing" on the agenda.").

I for one wonder what could possibly be added with DLC's, wether those be free of charge, or paid for. Isn't it true that BIS goes for opposites in terrain? First we had Chernarus, central european themed. Then we had Takistan, central asiatic themed.. From grassy forested landscapes to desert and barren ground.. And now we have Stratis and Altis for the time being, Mediterranean themed.. As I said, I wonder what's next.. Are we going to see BIS hop continents in search for new terrain? Oceania, Africa, the America's, and Antartica haven't been "done" by BIS as of yet.. :D Lots of possibilities for sure. But no doubt it'll be a pleasant shocker if we can believe BIS on their cv. :)

I for one wonder what could possibly be added with DLC's' date=' wether those be free of charge, or paid for. Isn't it true that BIS goes for opposites in terrain? First we had Chernarus, central european themed. Then we had Takistan, central asiatic themed.. From grassy forested landscapes to desert and barren ground.. And now we have Stratis and Altis for the time being, Mediterranean themed.. As I said, I wonder what's next.. Are we going to see BIS hop continents in search for new terrain? Oceania, Africa, the America's, and Antartica haven't been "done" by BIS as of yet.. :D Lots of possibilities for sure. But no doubt it'll be a pleasant shocker if we can believe BIS on their cv. :)[/quote']

I for one hope they do a map with a lot of snow, so it'd either be near the poles or during a winter some where in the north/south of the equator (preferably somewhere near Russia/Scandinavia). I don't think BIS have ever done a snow terrain before, and it'd be really interesting to see how they do one. It'd also be interesting to see what kind of new features they could add which are a direct result of that extremely cold environment (i.e. managing temperature; in a blizzard and have been stripped down to the naked bone? Well, you're in deep).

Not saying this because I am an Aussie, but Adelaide provides a really conveniant terrain, Sea, Large city (A few major airports) hilly countryside, a few large damns, And some Barren Altis like fields and a large river. It has a mix of everything, it may not snow but it rains a hell of a lot!

I wish for a jungle map. But I'm sure they will not touch that due to the difficulty to get a good foliage and performance.

Realistically I wish for savanna / Africa.

We are steadily working on a new tools package, and we have made a new major feature that may be interesting for many community content creators.

Is it REALLY that hard to give us some NON-VAGUE info? :confused:

Yea, it's a huge change. Kinda hard to play Arma 2 now without a lot of these changes.

Couple days old, but actually the more appropriate analogy is COD4MW to MW2. Same engine, similar features, but enough different and new that feature-wise it's a change. BF3-BF4 is like Arma 2 to Operation Arrowhead. Minimal changes and additions really. But in terms of what has changed, Arma 3 is much more progressive than BF4.

Go on reading and you will find out what it is it.

Hint: arrays.

It was the option to leave the game or the editor without Save :p after ten years of lack...^^

It's difficult to want work on Arma if BI don't give any important info.... the only good info since the alpha was the lightshaft, new rain and HP armor for tank... after ...

I suggest modders to copy their Arma 3 Folder in the case if the Arma 3D Editor link was deleted :( with update.

Go on reading and you will find out what it is it.

Hint: arrays.

If it's : """Filip Sádovský has prepared a new version of cfgConvert which is able to handle arrays in a different manner - adding new items into an array is now possible even without knowing the array itself, by defining array[] += {newItem}; This is extremely useful for adjusting shared arrays for example for weapon accessories or the infamous class Throw with its muzzle[]. The option is already working on the executable level, but the tools are needing to be released to make the configs binarizable."""

I don't want it.

If it's https://store.bisimulations.com/videos?product=19269

I want it :p to had huge city and more quickly^^ but we can dream :(^^

Edited by GranolaBar

if you want it, you can buy VBS^^

VBS gets all the cool toys. :( hopefully visitor 4 PE has new features.

Maybe a simple Idea with the basic tools we get in few weeks. After the campaign with 3 episodes was get out. A day per month who after a vote, the great projects who needed the attention from players were mounted to DEV's and by Skype or other, DEV's give help to modders.

Filip Sádovský has prepared a new version of cfgConvert which is able to handle arrays in a different manner - adding new items into an array is now possible even without knowing the array itself, by defining array[] += {newItem}; This is extremely useful for adjusting shared arrays for example for weapon accessories or the infamous class Throw with its muzzle[]. The option is already working on the executable level, but the tools are needing to be released to make the configs binarizable.

:clap: nice one!

A seemingly minor change, but actually incredibly useful. :)

To be honest I still play ArmA 2 and that's simply because of content. Every faction in A2 had always some unique vehicle. In A3 all factions have same vehicles. But this will change with DLC's and mods)

i think, you should be more specific here. For example, lets compare progress arma 2 - arma 3, and bf3-bf4. BF4 looks like another DLC for BF3 to me, just slightly bit enhaced graphics new faction and maps. Where Arma 3 looks like a completly new game compared to arma 2. The progress is just huge, graphicaly, physicaly, gameplay core mechanics, soundwise etc. So you want BIS release every year, dlc's with new maps, without much changes, calling it a next game?

Yeah, umm... About the "sound" wise, not so much. Yes, they have different sounds, due to different content (guns, vehicles), but the sound system itself, could use Uber-Ultra-Mega-Astronomical fixes, or maybe even a complete make over.

Yeah, umm... About the "sound" wise, not so much. Yes, they have different sounds, due to different content (guns, vehicles), but the sound system itself, could use Uber-Ultra-Mega-Astronomical fixes, or maybe even a complete make over.

The sound system just needs to have the ability to process sound effects and filter effects in real time rather than relying on pre-recorded samples with the effects already done. If you could adjust occlusion, reverb, filtering and echo on the fly based on the environment through the sound engine rather than trying to script specific sound effects into specific situations and scenario's, that would make a world's difference.

VBS gets all the cool toys. :( hopefully visitor 4 PE has new features.

But VBS and Arma have different goals, one is for training and the other is a piece of entertaining. The target is also different, and so is the price.

It's like comparing an utility car with a Formula 1, and complaining that the first lack of speed and acceleration...

well, the sound engine was updated, but it has not the features it could have yet. It has real time filtering for underwater and in vehicles, but thats just to few of all features it could have. Lets just hope, BIS has enhancing audio engine in their priorities.

New tweet from Lord Ivan:

Just tried #OculusRift in #Arma3. Took off, flew over Stratis, landed a chopper, still feeling a bit dizzy. :)

Go work Ivan :), it's not the week end.

It could be work for making the Oculus Rift work in Arma 3.

Not surprising, DnA and RiE have previously confirmed that they had at least one Oculus Rift dev kit and were trying to acquire more, it was just that Oculus Rift support wasn't a 'September 12th priority' but rather a post-release possibility, as we're seeing now.