Sign in to follow this  
tpM

Advanced Combat Sound Environment WiP Thread

Jarhead and the other soundguys will need to adopt the system (= make their own sounds for distances, environment) if they want their own dynamic soundscape, but a few months before A3 and its new soundengine I dont think they'll do it. Its really time consuming and hard work if you want to maintain consistence and quality among such amount of sounds.

Yah right. ACSE is a totally different Mod. You cant even compare to other soundmods. This is like creating a whole new soundengine there. The config work Psycho did for me is awesome already, and I love to use it. But this is a totally new thing again. I dont have the time to work with this till Arma 3 hits the ground, as tpM said. Other than that, I'm not sure how stable this sytem is. But I guess its working great, tmP?

And @Kremator: You will have to choose. Dont try to combine such big mods. The structure is too different, and as tmP already said, the way they trigger their sounds is totally different than usual SM's do. Like me. And dont starting bitching ACE again :D

Damn you sound guys ;) Making us choose! :D

Anyway to the both of you .... excellent work on individual projects ! Perhaps in Arma3 something joint.

This is god damn awesome! This will add to Arma 2 something that it has lacked since the early OFP days: proper spacial sound simulation. Is this all being done via scripts or are you guys doing this through Arma 2's native sound engine somehow, perhaps tying into a dynamic library link? What you guys are doing is groundbreaking and will add an element of realism to the virtual battlefield that will immerse the player even further. This looks fantastic and something that I will be keeping my eye on and waiting for with anticipation.

Good work! :)

I have to say, the quality shown in this makes me hope that ArmA3 will come to this standard of spacial sound simulation as Jocko-Flocko put it. IT would be awkward to use this after release, then go into ArmA3 and have it sounding dull all over again. Haha Hopefully with such a breakthrough, BIS will get an idea of what to add to ArmA3 (IF that don't already plan to.)

ACSE uses seperate "whole" firing sounds per condition (distance/environment) e.g. an M4 in your hands with some trees around will use "m4_1p_woodland.wss", but when someone fires his in the village 300 meters away from you you'll hear "m4_far_houses.wss".

Have you managed to capture these variables via engine using override and defining specific Zones or is it all fired /firednear eventhahndlers and scripts with suitable base sounds before ambience added ?

Asking to guage performance questions really , sounds good so far though nice work

Well it gathers some simple data about environment, and checks only occur once / shot / some time / unit. The performance drawback can barely be noticed, if at all.

Well it gathers some simple data about environment, and checks only occur once / shot / some time / unit. The performance drawback can barely be noticed, if at all.

So its better than actuell soundmods based on Eventhandlers... like JSRS... great... Why couldnt you come earlier with this :D Nah, kidding.

But I'm glad to hear about this performance stability. Thanks for the Info tpM.

LJ

Well it gathers some simple data about environment, and checks only occur once / shot / some time / unit. The performance drawback can barely be noticed, if at all

but this indicates fired eventhandler so its more or equal to normal = lag ?

unless you give override on animation such as soundOverride = "crawl";

then its not engine based and you need variables to be stored >?

i think alternative less lagg maybe , is to make Ambient class in woods ,houses,grasss etc ? in terrain config and then this can ask if fired near ?

then use module for init of ambient class?

class EventHandlers

{

firedNear

Good work, but actually, "2d" ak74 sound of ACEX_SM mod is really closer to one you hear irl.

Is it possible to use it as a base for all theese features?

I guess ACSE will come around with new sounds and maybe only uses a little of the old ones.

And as mentioned, this is not a thread "how a soundmod shall sounds like" or "this is how it sounds irl".

@tpM: Maybe you could help me with something, I have a little problem, maybe your mentioned "conditions system" is killing the last trifle JSRS has...

The normal, in config adressed sounds arma is playing with each shot, are fading out after a certain distance. Lets say I do this:

class Single: Single

{

begin1[] = {"\JSRS_AK74\AK74_s1",2,1,500};

begin2[] = {"\JSRS_AK74\AK74_s2",2,1,500};

begin3[] = {"\JSRS_AK74\AK74_s3",2,1,500};

begin4[] = {"\JSRS_AK74\AK74_s4",2,1,500};

soundBegin[] = {"begin1",0.25,"begin2",0.25,"begin3",0.25,"begin4",0.25};

Then, the sounds are fading out after 250 meters and getting quieter more and more since they reach the 500 meter, or even 450 meters and already totally muted. Now I asking myself how do you get around that. Because, your sound will be played immediately one after the other. Now I thought you do this via eventhandlers, but do you really? I dont wanted to use the script of JSRS in the first 500 meters because of the lags which may getting caused. So I wanted a stable, evenly loud played sound up to the 500 meters and then the script sounds only getting played from that on, you know what I mean? Maybe one of your guys have an Idea, since I dont wanted to script that...

LJ

Well, ACE SM is a totally different story. Its more "tactical" sounding, tho some people say they sound weak, like airsoft guns, some say they are annoyingly loud, so I really dont know what to think. Anyhow, I wont use any sounds from it because I want to make something really different. Still, I'll try to make weapons sound authentic.

Jarhead: I dont really want to answer technical questions because coding and scripting is not my task within the team, but in ACSE there wont be such problems you mentioned. :)

Jarhead: I dont really want to answer technical questions because coding and scripting is not my task within the team, but in ACSE there wont be such problems you mentioned. :)

Got your point mate ;) Since Arma 3 will not released before the fourth quarter of 2012 there will be alot of time for me to either study ACSE when its released some day or I and my scripter will find another way instead. Thanks for the info anyways mate :)

LJ

How is the progress? I'm waiting for this mod. Are you going to relese a beta version before full relese? And are you guys going to relese it before July?

Awesome stuff!

My regards

We are working on some really nasty stuff, but unfortunately some real life sh*t came up for all of us, so the progress slowed down a bit. I dont want to promise anything and I dont speak on behalf of the team now, but IMO we can deliver it before July.

Every week I check this thread for some news. This mod is going to be something amazing! Like a sound revolution. I'm looking forward for this too.

Thanks for your support guys. Will write here if we'll have something to announce... :)

Im very happy because guys like you and your team exist.

I'll be wating for news.

Cheers.

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but I know it's tedious work and I apperciate it.

Every game could use a soundmod like this.

Thanks, Stubs.

Edited by stubs

What is the probable date of release? This peace of modding art is the most awaited arma 2 addon ever for me.

Sorry, but we are having serious real life issues (work and such) and we are progressing really slow. I'm hoping we can pull this out this summer, but as I said some weeks ago, I don't want to promise anything.

Thanks for your patience. :>