Sign in to follow this  
OChristie

Community Feedback Thread - TOH:CP

I'd like to report the nose-down with the X360 controller is still broken, which is a shame, I'm horrible with the keyboard! Remapping it to the right stick results in a blank selection, and it still doesn't work.

Thank you very much for that (mirror toggle). :)

Enjoying the flying too much! Starting to get the hang of making fast scary landings - with a twist. :D The only thing scaring me atm is the sudden turbulence that comes out of nowhere (or maybe its my fault hehe).

It is very very fun to fly this heli and with a massive map and fun missions to do i reckon this will be a hit. Keep up the always so great work BIS. :thumb:

is it planned to add options to adjust deathzone and sensitivity curve separate? The actual solution seems to combine both parameters. Not easy to discribe..

As for an individual option to disable it,

Best,

RiE

After playing the Spotlight mission, how bout disabling "Community Preview WIP"?

or change it to "Community Previewed, looks fooking great".

:p

I'd like to report the nose-down with the X360 controller is still broken, which is a shame, I'm horrible with the keyboard! Remapping it to the right stick results in a blank selection, and it still doesn't work.

Odd, since it works fine on a normal xbox controller? :confused:

Just installed the update. Question: What happened to the Torque Induced Yaw? I now need ZERO left pedal with applied collective.

Other than that, it feels MUCH better than the initial release.

Still have not had time to play with it for more than a few minutes.

You gotta switch auto trim on and then back off. Apparently it is now enabled by default. Everything's back to normal once you do that.

Right? You would think it would work great, the 360 controller is perfect with Arma2.

WHAT? You can use a Xbox 360 controller with A2 and Toh?????? Sounds awesome, even though I mastered the first beta using the keyboard/mouse.

How do I use the 360 controller? There's this:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75903

I'll keep searching around. Do I connect the controller to my computer using USB or something? I've never even thought about doing that, let alone heard about it. Guess I'm way behind the times.

Unfortunately you have to shell out the cash for a wireless USB receiver for the 360 controller to get it to work. Probably 25-50 USD. They're pretty nice to have though, in the end. If you hook your controller up with a usb cable, it will charge, but not interface with the PC (at least, there's no stock driver support. i heard a rumor of some 3rd party way of doing it, but I'm not sure if it's legit).

And nope, my 360 controller doesn't work with TOH either. And it is a shame.

Unfortunately you have to shell out the cash for a wireless USB receiver for the 360 controller to get it to work. Probably 25-50 USD. They're pretty nice to have though, in the end. If you hook your controller up with a usb cable, it will charge, but not interface with the PC (at least, there's no stock driver support. i heard a rumor of some 3rd party way of doing it, but I'm not sure if it's legit).

And nope, my 360 controller doesn't work with TOH either. And it is a shame.

Thank you, dwringer, for bringing me up to speed on that. Doesn't sound optimal for me. I'll stick with my keyboard and mouse for now.

I just completed my first run through of the beta 82390 on Veteran difficulty. Totally awesome. I was able to land the first time! Had auto trim off from about 8 seconds after take off until the very end, including landing. Saved game just before landing, but didn't need it, as I got down perfectly. I don't know if this beta changed things to make it a little easier to land (a good thing), or maybe I'm just getting good. Loads of fun.

Best of all, as I didn't have to load my saved game, there was NO CRASH ON EXIT this time, making the experience especially enjoyable.

I renamed the preview exe to takeonh.exe, and SLI worked perfectly with 275.33 drivers.

Great job, BIS!!!!! :bounce3:

---------------------

You know, this "reply to thread" page, with the moving icons (banana, bounce), puts about 17-18% load on both of my GPUs, and 6% load on my CPU. What the.........:omg:

You gotta switch auto trim on and then back off. Apparently it is now enabled by default. Everything's back to normal once you do that.

Makes sense, that way people are not instantly turned off by the difficulty.

Thanks.

Doesn't make sense that the action name doesn't reflect that though. Same for engine RPM which I also have to click twice to set to high rpm - it appears to be at high by default but it isn't.

By toggle to turn off mirror, does this mean toggle to turn off all RTT based devices? If so, sounds weird to have at least in the full version where RTT is supposed to be a big part of the game (active use in missions).

after doing some more thorough flying I would like to note that the torque induced yaw does not seem to be dissipating with an increase in forward airspeed as it does in real life. As airspeed increases, the effectiveness of the vertical stabilizer increases and the need for left pedal decreases (the torque effect does not go away, but another feature of the helicopter compensates for it).

Also, autorotations seem impossible.

Pedal effectiveness/sensitivity is unrealistic. I have my controller set at maximum sensitivity and I cannot do a rapid pedal turn with full deflection. In reality a full kick of the pedals will send you into a wild spin. Also, left pedal should give me a decrease in power while right pedal will give me an increase. The tail rotor is linked to the transmission and when you add thrust you take away power from the main rotor system. If you decrease thrust you are giving it back.

Also, I noticed the cyclic control movement animation in game is greatly over-exaggerated. I once took a friend up for their first ride in a helicopter and she noted after the flight was over that she never saw me move the controls the whole time. My movements were so small that to the untrained eye it appeared that I was flying the aircraft by sheer will (not far from the truth). The controls that get the most movement are the pedals and the collective, the cyclic should stay almost stationary. I would say that a realistic animation would show the cyclic rotating through a circle with a radius of 3-5 inches (with full joystick/control deflection).

Next I would like to note that the torque indicator is not going up nearly enough. With full up collective the Torque gauge is only reading about 50%. It should be past the red line. Lets assume we're at sea level on a standard day with standard temperature and that the helicopter will be carrying full fuel but no passengers, only the pilot, who weighs an average healthy male weight of 180 lbs or so. In order to hover, most light turbine helicopters under those conditions would be sitting between 50-70% torque depending on the helicopter and it's power capability. Put that same aircraft high in the mountains on a very hot day, and you will be looking at In Ground Effect hover at 80-90% torque if you are in a powerful ship. Cranking up on the collective would quickly put you in the red and your engine will have a meltdown in a matter of seconds. The fact that I am cruising around in the hot desert mountains of Takistan while yanking and banking with power for days does not strike me as being realistic in the least.

Edited by nightsta1ker

Well, read this about why Takistan is not realistically modeled/used. So for now, ignore what you know about density altitude. Not even able to change ambient temperatures to try it out for sea level operations. Maybe some day...

For ref, I'm more into GA flying using piston powered aircraft, so much of the tech talk about engine torques etc in a chopper is new business for me.

no wonder it felt so flat - thanks for the heads up.

not having the setting correspond to the visual info really makes it tricky to figure out what is set or not.

Edited by twisted

Makes sense, that way people are not instantly turned off by the difficulty. Thanks.

OMG, that is really not the way how they should do that...:rolleyes: At least a info about it should be there, or did I missed it?

Edited by EagleEye[GER]

I hope it eventually becomes a difficulty option. Frankly I want auto trim removed from the action list if my difficulty option says so.

By toggle to turn off mirror, does this mean toggle to turn off all RTT based devices? If so, sounds weird to have at least in the full version where RTT is supposed to be a big part of the game (active use in missions).

In TOH right now the mirror seems to be at full quality which have a rather large impact on performance. So my idea was to be able to turn it off for those that need it during these tests. When the sim matures im sure the RTT will have levels of detail and it wont have to be shut off. I really dont want to turn it off, but to do the tests now in the WIP i rather have a smooth flight to really feel the heli. :)

The latest version is practically unplayable for me. Takistan or Utes doesn't really matter. Once I get into the chopper I get like 4-7 fps, versus 20-35 outside. Maybe there was lowered performance once you got into the chopper also in the previous version, I don't know, but it wasn't like this. Don't want to put blame on RTT, as this worked without same penalty in the previous version.

Did you uninstall the previous before applying the latest version?

I don't seem to get any hit between the two versions.

Had you renamed the exe to activate SLi and forgotten to do it with the latest install?

Yes, can confirm again that crash on exit occurs after loading saved game.

ToH video settings same as in signature except for:

VIS: 7500

Object view distance: 3764

Excerpts from TakeOnH.RPT file:

Version 1.59.82390

Item str_disp_server_control listed twice

Updating base class RscStandardDisplay->RscDisplayLoadMission, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayNotFreeze/

Updating base class ->controls, by hsim\tkoh_beta\ui_h\config.bin/RscDisplayMissionFail/controls/

Error loading control bin\config.bin/RscDisplayStart/controls/CA_Progress/

Warning: looped for animation: ca\wheeled\data\anim\uaz_cargo01_v0.rtm differs (looped now 0)! MoveName: kia_uaz_cargo02

Warning: looped for animation: ca\wheeled\data\anim\uaz_cargo01_v0.rtm differs (looped now 1)! MoveName: uaz_cargo02

No such side

Creating debriefing

Link to 800270001420017a (Obj-161,156:378) not released

Link to 8002740014000178 (Obj-160,157:376) not released

Link to 8002780013c00177 (Obj-158,158:375) not released

Link to 8003980011000084 (Obj-136,230:132) not released

Link to 8003a00011000082 (Obj-136,232:130) not released

Link to 80015000160002f8 (Obj-176,84:760) not released

Link to 8003dc0011400042 (Obj-138,247:66) not released

Link to 8003d40011200044 (Obj-137,245:68) not released

Link to 8000500011e0036c (Obj-143,20:876) not released

=======================================================

-------------------------------------------------------

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 004469EF

graphics: D3D9, Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Driver:nvd3dum.dll 8.17.12.7533

resolution: 1680x1050x32

Addons:

CACharacters_E in ca\characters_e\, CAWheeled_E_Volha in ca\wheeled_e\volha\

CAWeapons_E_KORD in ca\weapons_e\kord\

CAWheeled_E_stryker in ca\wheeled_e\stryker\, CASounds_E in ca\sounds_e\

CA_Missions_BAF_Templates_SecOps in ca\missions_baf\templates\secopsbaf.west\

HSim_Air_H in hsim\tkoh_beta\air_h\

CAStructures_PMC_Buildings_Bunker in ca\structures_pmc\buildings\bunker\

CAWheeled_E_LandRover in ca\wheeled_e\lr\, zargabad in ca\zargabad\

CAAir2 in ca\air2\, CA_Animals2_Chicken in ca\animals2\birds\chicken\

Ind_Shed_02 in ca\buildings2\ind_shed_02\

Edited by OMAC

Well, read this about why Takistan is not realistically modeled/used. So for now, ignore what you know about density altitude. Not even able to change ambient temperatures to try it out for sea level operations. Maybe some day...

For ref, I'm more into GA flying using piston powered aircraft, so much of the tech talk about engine torques etc in a chopper is new business for me.

If you like piston powered airplanes, think of the torque as manifold on a constant speed prop. In fact, piston powered helicopters have a manifold pressure gauge rather than a torque indicator. :D

Also, I assumed that the unrealistic density altitude had something to do with the limitations of the OA world, I just wanted to make sure that they at least TRY and model it correctly in the official game.

Have you tried to take off without the tail rotor? :D