Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 81921

read new Developer's blog about these betas while downloading ;)

cant read so fast :D

thx for new beta and for blogging, Watson ;)

beta build 81921 ~ 9MB

beta build 79600 ~29MB

:confused:

Newer betas don't come with the MP Armoury PBO.

Maybe it's time for PhysX in next beta? :cool:

yeah... c'mon BIS, shouldn't be too hard to implement, right? :D

Going to test this one later ;)

Edited by Derbysieger

Very interesting blog. So when I'm inevitably killed by an AI, it's because it had already happened 100ms in the future... :)

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Small problem: I migrated my ArmA2 install over to a SSD and this is the first time I have tried to install a beta since then. The installer is complaining that I either don't have ArmA2 installed or it is corrupt, I have to presume that a path is wrong somewhere. Can a kindly developer please let me know where this path needs to be changed? :) I did the registry. This may also impact on any official patch too, should one be released.

Edited by DMarkwick

Very interesting blog. So when I'm inevitably killed by an AI, it's because it had already happened 100ms in the future... :)

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Small problem: I migrated my ArmA2 install over to a SSD and this is the first time I have tried to install a beta since then. The installer is complaining that I either don't have ArmA2 installed or it is corrupt, I have to presume that a path is wrong somewhere. Can a kindly developer please let me know where this path needs to be changed? :) I did the registry. This may also impact on any official patch too, should one be released.

i got the same prob but i havent moved the install dir and other betas worked ok

GREAT !!!

I was waiting for this since Arma1 !!! But i loose confidence in Bistudio programmers, when this was not implemented in Arma2, and i loose hope, that this would be implemented even in Arma3.

But when if you really implement this to the A2/A2OA, i will buy Arma3 and all A2 DLCs as great thanks.

There also remains 2 more thinks to do in Arma3 engine:

a) be able to have multiple independent "views" in one main "view" in game. That allows to use real working displays/huds/instruments in cockpits (cabin) in vehicles.

b) the same approach can be uset to have rear "mirrors" in game on vehicles. This gives great reality and real looks to the games (real mirrored environment on optics, or driving by mirrors)

About physix:

I think, that PHYSX is not needed, because it is used only on NVIDIA cards, so half players of A3 game would be not able to enjoy PHYSX. So why spend effort and time on something, which will not be used on all players ?

Perhaps better way is to use DirectX 11 physics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectCompute) as a base (works on all DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 capable computers). The same is used also in Futuremarks 3Dmark (http://www.3dmark.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/3DMark11_Whitepaper.pdf).

They are usin "Bullet Open Source Physics Library C++".

So i think, that is the way to go, to use common interface/api avaiable on all computers capable to run Arma3 (Nvidia, Amd, Intel ...any DirectX11 capable graphics card), and also using open-source Physics Library when needed.

Have a nice day and thank you for great and i think bigges revolution in those latest betas.

I do not know if it's the same problem but i solved this way.

Sprocketidea version:

========================================FIX patch arma2============================================

I learned that Sprocketidea does not create a registry file when you install the game. So here is what you need to do.

- Go to "start" and then select "run"

- Enter "Regedit"

- Browse the options until you find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and double click on it, then look for "SOFTWARE", then look for the "Bohemia Interactive Studio" file and double click on it. Finally, click on the Arma 2 folder.

- Check to see if you have "MAIN" in your registry. If you don't have "MAIN" in there, you will need to create it.

- Look at the top of the window where is says "Edit" and click on it. You will then want to look for "NEW" and it should pop open another window. You then want to click on "String Value".

- Once you have click on "String Value", you will see that you can make a string. Type in "MAIN" as the file name and then just click on the white area to save it.

- Now you will want to right click "MAIN" and click on "MODIFY". Under value, enter the location where you installed Arma 2. For an example:

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2

Or

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2

I played a little with this patch, actually everything was ok. But there were some strange things.

1. I couldn't kill a Humvee gunner. I shot him many times but he didn't die, he turned around and wanted to shoot me. So I took a M136 and destroyed the whole vehicle.

2. Performance in Chernarus was a little too low.

I don't know if it's beta's fault but maybe you have a look at it.

REGEDIT > MAIN @:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\BattlEye

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2 OA\BattlEye

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 BAF

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 PMC

Find out by a search in regedit. Maybe more locations, search through your system registry for arma.

GREAT !!!

I was waiting for this since Arma1 !!! But i loose confidence in Bistudio programmers, when this was not implemented in Arma2, and i loose hope, that this would be implemented even in Arma3.

But when if you really implement this to the A2/A2OA, i will buy Arma3 and all A2 DLCs as great thanks.

There also remains 2 more thinks to do in Arma3 engine:

a) be able to have multiple independent "views" in one main "view" in game. That allows to use real working displays/huds/instruments in cockpits (cabin) in vehicles.

b) the same approach can be uset to have rear "mirrors" in game on vehicles. This gives great reality and real looks to the games (real mirrored environment on optics, or driving by mirrors)

This is implemented in Arma3, its called "Render to texture".

About physix:

I think, that PHYSX is not needed, because it is used only on NVIDIA cards, so half players of A3 game would be not able to enjoy PHYSX. So why spend effort and time on something, which will not be used on all players ?

wrong. Cpu can also handle the physx simulation if you own a ATI card, most people will need a new CPU till the time comes anyways/or/and a new GPU.

read new Developer's blog about these betas while downloading ;) http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1956312&postcount=84

Great news and intresting reading! One side note however:

If implemented naively, the result would be very ugly.

Is this a typo of in the word natively or did the writer really mean to do naive programming. :rolleyes:

1. I couldn't kill a Humvee gunner. I shot him many times but he didn't die, he turned around and wanted to shoot me. So I took a M136 and destroyed the whole vehicle.

2. Performance in Chernarus was a little too low.

I don't know if it's beta's fault but maybe you have a look at it.

1. This should be already fixed a while ago (in 81172) See: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1956898&postcount=29

"he turned around and wanted to shoot me" if enemy with that kind of lethal weapon could not hit you while you are switching to M136, I can only imagine there was some insisible graphics between that took the both of your bullets before trying M136

2. According to my benchmark results (found on one of the recent beta discussions) average FPS in Chernarus has decreased 1-2 FPS with last 5 betas. Ofcourse it could be more for someone with not as powerful hardware.

Edited by Hanzu

do this patch work with ARMA 2 REINFORCEMENTS?

do this patch work with ARMA 2 REINFORCEMENTS?

yes, both are OA engine

yes, both are OA engine

its not working for me m8 iv reinstalled Arma2 and tryed it still dnt work

ARMA 2 or ARMA 2: OA ? this beta is for ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead and RFT (unless someone forgot add the RFT registry location with path into installer :( )

Good read and great news! Looking forward to test it out and even more to see the improvements for MP later on.

/KC

Interesting. So what we are essentially seeing is an introduction of the same type of teknology used in Quake3s unlagged or perhaps more infamously the Half-Life1 update that came with Counter Strike Beta 6.5

The backside of this technology can be seen especially in early versions of the source engine where the hitbox/bounding box of objects appear out of sync with the picture you actually see.

All in all this is a great change-- and probably quite necessary in order to facilitate local physics!

-k

Thanks again for the massive support BIS. :) Will be nice to see the new tech.

PS. The stuttering i always had when zooming (as many like me) is now totally gone since 2 patches back. Forgot to mention that, and it's an important improvement. Thanks guys. Awesome work.

Edited by Alex72

PS. The stuttering i always had when zooming (as many like me) is now totally gone since 2 patches back. Forgot to mention that, and it's an important improvement. Thanks guys. Awesome work.

yes, I noticed that too. :bounce3:

Wow, very interesting article and huge improvement in the engine! I love to see BIS pushing the boundaries of the engine yet again!