Sign in to follow this  
victim913

Opfor discussion?

There are so many threads now with too many thoughts in them. Like a thread about AI ends up talking about tanks and so someone looking for a tank thread won't find any.

So I thought maybe having a general OPFOR thread might help.

What is everyone thinking about the new screenshots with the OPFOR in them? From behind they look like aliens.

I am wondering if those OPFOR are SF or regular? They look way too sci-fi for me. I know it's in the future but it looks like it's WAY into the future. Just looks like overkill on all the gear, including arm pads, gloves etc.. It looks like OPFOR that you would see landing on Mars or something. And with the Comanche (which I hate) and the armor, and pretty much everything we have seen so far, it seems to kind of lean in the direction of BF 2142.

Don't get me wrong, I am tired of fighting the same old OPFOR. But I'm starting to get a little nervous about the game.

Maybe they could mix in some of the not too sophistated screen shots. They are trying to market this with the future aspect of the game, but that is what may turn alot of people away. Well, not away, we will all still buy it. But I would just like to see more LOW TECH military screen shots. Just to let us know that it is still anchored in the real world.

Agree with everything you said, I suppose we just have to wait a bit to find out what nationality/species they are xD

yeah, that. i was ok with the near future, and some different things (because new things are good), but this seems kinda out there.

we have seen units with the Iranian flag on their uniforms. ok current day Iran dosnt have alot of high tech gear. they have G3 Ak, steel helmets and what ever else (see the arma 2 Iranian forces mod). in THIS game they are armed with Isreali equipment and something outta ALIENS. WTH? the Iranians have thier own gear, they dont need or want Israels.

of course, there is still SO much we dont know. we dont know the story that led us to this point. why are these Iranians using Israeli equipment? why do they have these bizarre sci fi exo-skeletons? what do those things do? why are they there? why is this silly little island so strategically important to the war effort? hell, we dont even know WHO the major actors are! we have "NATO", "OPFOR" and...? other? China? Russia? Finland? England? USA? Israel? Space Aliens from space?

in another thread i was saying how such a severe war would hamper all parties involved making them lower their standards of equipping, but obviously that aint the case here. full everything

I have no doubt the game mechanics will rock and the new engine will be amazing, but i will be installing a "authentic 2010 equipment" mod as soon as its available.

i accepted the AK107 in A2 and less so the Mk16 in OA, but i dont know, if the current trends continue...

what i want is just a plausible explanation for the whos, whats, whys and hows of this war. if BIS can justify why all this cool stuff is around then great, im on board.

if BIS can justify why all this cool stuff is around then great, im on board.

Most likely the same thing they said last time, which I think was something along the lines of "it's the future, people might buy new things and we want to check that out".

I'd still like to see ArmA set in the 70's against Russia though.

Yeah I was super excited till I saw the new "futuristic" look they are going for, The screenshots look more like GRAW than ArmA.

Agree with OP. I would rather see current to be honest, but it is arma, so I will still buy :D...

Sorry if I missed it, but what military force is OpFor this time? I am not asking for speculation, but rather a confirmed enemy. Thanks...

Agree with OP. I would rather see current to be honest, but it is arma, so I will still buy :D...

Sorry if I missed it, but what military force is OpFor this time? I am not asking for speculation, but rather a confirmed enemy. Thanks...

the cause for discussion are these pictures:

http://www.zing.cz/screenshoty/2625/arma-3/image-43896

http://www.zing.cz/screenshoty/2625/arma-3/image-43912

from what we know at the moment opfor appears to be iran with israeli equipment. which is odd.

Since the ARG hinted at China as well as Iran, and the story mentions Eastern Nations, which obviously means more than just one country, it wouldn't be too far fetched that China lended their high-tech gear over to Iran which would explain the Bug Helmet and exo-skeletons.

they look like some kind of temperature control suites or the like with the big cooling fans at the back of the neck. Maybe some advanced survival suit like...well.....Dune?

Ahh, in OA, OPFOR was too weak and low tech, lets start whining. Wait, there comes A3, OPFOR seems to have at least some tech, lets start whining :icon_twisted:

I would like to remind You, that You don't know most of things from Armaverse yet. Trust us at least a bit, I think You'll get everything well explained before the game hits shelves. There were some hints in ARG, but that's not all.

On other side, we are looking at all the reactions from our dear community and thinking about them :icon_twisted:

I said many times the ArmA 3 is alternative reality - so there can be Iran units more modernized so it will be very strong enemy - not like Takistan army :icon_twisted:

Finally a challenging campaign? (Not like OA wher you have to smash poor T-34s with an M1A1)

I would like a strong OpFor with high-tech weaponry, because i prefer to make mission where the OpFor is the played side and CPU controlled BluFor... So giving many and shiny toyz to my OpFor Boy'z..!

But plzzzz BIS also give them some more sweet Sniper and Marksman rifles than the always used SVD, Sniper AK and KSKV...

Thanks in advance.

The Opfor look like they have a way higher tech level than blufor.

With the time travel references in the ARG... ?

Actually I'd still be happy with some grungier, dirtier and more menacing looking insurgent/freedom fighter types and not necessarily Arabian who are still using the mighty AK, of course with a lot more love given to that weapon family.

so are those opfor models SF? like the modern equivalent of the ancient Persian "immortals"? are the basic soldiers going to be more modest?

or better yet is there going to be more detailed info about the scenario, factions and story some time during the show? or are we going to be getting that info drip fed to us over the next 15 months :p

edit: according to wikipidia there was a "modern" version of the immortals.

he modern Iranian Army under the last Shah included an all volunteer Javidan Guard, also known as the "Immortals" after the ancient Persian royal guard. The "Immortals" were based in the Lavizan Barracks in Tehran. By 1978 this elite force comprised a brigade of 4,000–5,000 men, including a battalion of Chieftain tanks. Following the overthrow of the Imperial regime in 1979 the "Immortals" were disbanded.[8]

so, maybe the islamic republic of iran fell, and a more secular govt (like reinstating the sha) took its place, and united much of the arab world under persian rule, allied with the chinese and somewhere along the line beat up israel and tooks its stuff. the bug eyed nano suit guys we see are the elite shock troops of the new persian army, and could be a throw back to the old times? something like that? :p

Edited by That guy

Ahh, in OA, OPFOR was too weak and low tech, lets start whining. Wait, there comes A3, OPFOR seems to have at least some tech, lets start whining :icon_twisted:

I would like to remind You, that You don't know most of things from Armaverse yet. Trust us at least a bit, I think You'll get everything well explained before the game hits shelves. There were some hints in ARG, but that's not all.

On other side, we are looking at all the reactions from our dear community and thinking about them :icon_twisted:

My word, exactly my thoughts. People whined about the Opfor in Arma 2 and OA being too weak, now we get equals and it´s still wrong.

I for one welcome this. Finally an enemy that is a true equal in tech and training. :D

so are those opfor models SF? like the modern equivalent of the ancient Persian "immortals"? are the basic soldiers going to be more modest?

or better yet is there going to be more detailed info about the scenario, factions and story some time during the show? or are we going to be getting that info drip fed to us over the next 15 months :p

edit: according to wikipidia there was a "modern" version of the immortals.

so, maybe the islamic republic of iran fell, and a more secular govt (like reinstating the sha) took its place, and united much of the arab world under persian rule, allied with the chinese and somewhere along the line beat up israel and tooks its stuff. the bug eyed nano suit guys we see are the elite shock troops of the new persian army, and could be a throw back to the old times? something like that? :p

The actual model in the model render has an Asian face. I don't know if that's relevant.

poeple are not complaining that the OPFOR are now a threat, they are complaining that the the current model looks more at home in crysis or GRAW than say, the real world.

Actually after Arma2 we were asking/demanding asymmetric warfare, and that's precisely what OA gave us with it's low tech Opfor. When we get Arma3, we will ask for it again :D Same with landscaping - after Sahrani, people didn't want Holiday Island anymore - now we want Sahrani (ish) again :D

I don't mind asymmetric warfare, it's very realistic in most of todays conflicts. But it's hard to do as we can't put in the needed man/AI-power to make it an interesting fight without bringing down the servers. With things being relatively equal, it's also much easier to make missions for while keeping balance (read: playable and fun).

poeple are not complaining that the OPFOR are now a threat, they are complaining that the the current model looks more at home in crysis or GRAW than say, the real world.

Exactly, from my point of view more modern battlefield isnt a bad idea but then please not with too crazy things like exo skelletons or Kamov/Mil mixture helicopters when there are a ton of other existing -yet not really used- prototypes availeable.

What bugs me is that now we have all the features we asked for we get them with fantasy gear and vehicles, yes theres always the community and its addons but that always is a wild mix and always feels like that if you throw it together.

Yet at least what was shown so far looks excellent when it comes to model quality and details so that is at least something.

If i had a free wish id personally go for either late 60s or very late 80s with the classic Nato vs. WP setting but this time with more eye for detail and even sides ( no prob if you make both sides correctly geared ), Project85 showed where this could go and with some professional Artist work and a really good CWC style campaign this would be a pure blast.

More than hi-tech vs hi-tech in a so so campaign -judging by what i saw in the ArmA games and DLCs over the last years, all good and ok but not CWC and especially not Resistance good at all- at least.

Only my 2cents.

Edited by Shadow NX