Sign in to follow this  
Mafia101

What is Arma 2: Firing Range

I just check E3 insider, trying to find new Arma 3 info, but isntead I found this:

http://www.e3insider.com/exhibitor/view/96/arma-2-firing-range/28792/

Arma 2: Firing Range utilizes accurate high-poly weapon modes used in the award winning Arma 2 tactical shooter video game. Pick a weapon from dozens available. Several highly detailed firing ranges with different game modes wait for you to show off your skills. Compete with other players in online leaderboards. Arma 2: Firing Range is developed and published by Bohemia Interactive for Android.

:D

Edited by Mafia101

Nice one! That's good for those who need their fix when away from a PC :D

lol, nice find, maybe its duckhunt Arma style :)

And i see "DREAD" Achievements......... :(

Wow, this will be a must-have for my Android phone :) Nice one BIS!

And yes, "Achievements" is indeed a scary word at this end of the FPS spectrum...yikes. I would have been equally scared to read "Unlocks" or similar....hehe, but keep the evolution going :D

This is my 1401st reason to buy Samsung Galaxy S2.

Heh, me too on the S2. I always wondered if they could put out an Android version of the editor, just a small-scale one

Firing Range trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-arma-ii/715469

Old_Painless: you have the S2 already? are there any downsides at all? It seems like the most perfect phone so far (well, for people who can live without HW keyboards). send it as a PM probably, so we don't clutter up the thread.

Edited by Cole

Will this work with any Android platform? They only have the Apple iOS4 listed on the website?

http://www.arma2.com/fr/

official website says only "Android", but I suppose it'll work on most of the latest android versions, as long as your phone has the hardware to run it

The official website says that it will be available for iOS 4, Android, and Facebook.

The iOS 4 will only work on iPods and iPhones that support iOS 4 and is still to be announced. Facebook is also to be announced.

Android is the only confirmed platform, which says June, 2011.

1sjp5g.jpg

Judging by the trailer, it is not for "Android". It is for Tegra. There are currently only two Tegra phones AFAIK, the LG Optimus 2X and Motorola Atrix 4G.

Why do I say this? Simple: Because Tegra games use Nvidia specific texture compression to prevent their use on Android phones without the Tegra chip. In other words, Tegra games does not conform to OpenGL ES standard specification across the Android platform.

Of course, they could include other texture compression formats if we're lucky. But I doubt it.

Sidenote: If it is Tegra, Samsung Galaxy S2 does NOT support the game (funny enough, Galaxy S2 is the ONLY recent phone to only support OpenGL ES standard specs, since it has a unique GPU)... Officially anyway. Members of XDA haxxored the 3D layer a while ago and has been running Tegra games ;)

Edited by Murklor

Jesus, the websites lying then right Murklor? Judging by what BIS is saying and Not your Honest Opinion or Best educated Guess of their intent or other wise, just take it the way they said it and stop all the analyzing............lol

Sorry to say this F2F_BHO, but in this matter Murklor is correct.

Will this work with any Android platform? They only have the Apple iOS4 listed on the website?

Nope, you need a tegra2 chipset. Your best bet is a Tablet - many tablets have the tegra2 chipset. i have tried on a samsung galaxy s & htc-wildfire/buzz and it doenst work. Unless you are a lucky owner of the few smartphones out there, playing arma @school on your phone is not yet within reach.

But besides phones and tablets, there is other hardware that runs on android.

If you're a Mini, Audi , BMW or Tesla owner for instance ( recent model) you might even be able to play ArmA Firing range, while in a traffic jam!

If there is anyone with a Car-pc able to run ArmAFR, send me some photo's and i'll refund the game!

Here is the supported devices list.

Tesla Motors Model S (Vehcile Info-ainment)

Audi MMI Touch (Vehcile Info-tainment)

BMW (Vehcile Info-tainment)

Mini (Vehicle Info-tainment)

here is a preliminary list of tegra2 smartphones ...

Samsung Galaxy S II (in some regions) (smartphone)

Motorola Atrix (smartphone)

Motorola Photon (smartphone)

Motorola Bionic (smartphone)

LG Optimus 2x (smartphone)

1 netbook

NEC 7″ (mini-laptop)

It seems Tegra2 is a widely used tablet-video chip.

the list of tablets is quite long, and far from complete.

Acer Picasso T10A10 (tablet)

Acer Iconia A500 (tablet)

Acer T20 (tablet)

Asus Eee Pad Slider (tablet)

Asus Eee Pad Transformer (tablet)

Dell Streak 7 (tablet)

eLocity A7 Config. 1 (tablet)

eLocity A7 Config. 2 (tablet)

eLocity A7 Config. 3 (tablet)

eLocity A7 Config. 4 (tablet)

eLocity A7 Config. 5 (tablet)

eLocity A7 Config. 6 (tablet)

eLocity A7 Config. 7 (tablet)

HTC Scribe (tablet)

Kno Single-Screen (tablet)

Kno Dual-Screen (tablet)

LG G-Slate (tablet)

Malata A1101 (tablet)

Motorola Xoom (tablet)

MSI Windpad (tablet)

Notion Ink (tablet)

Onkyo TA117 (tablet)

Olivetti OliPad 100 (tablet)

Point of View Mobii (tablet)

Samsung Tab 2 (tablet)

Shuttle P10AN01 (tablet)

Toshiba Folio 100 (tablet)

Toshiba 10″ (tablet)

T-Mobile G-Slate(tablet)

Velocity L510

Viewsonic G-Tablet (tablet)

Viewsonic 10s (tablet)

And I'm guessing BIS got paid by NVIDIA to do this? Probably the same reason why they are going with NVIDIA PhysX. Because they are getting bribed to do so.

And I'm guessing BIS got paid by NVIDIA to do this? Probably the same reason why they are going with NVIDIA PhysX. Because they are getting bribed to do so.

Or because it works? :)

There are other free alternatives that work just as good.

There are other free alternatives that work just as good.

They dont always work just as good. They dont always have just as good documentation and technical support. Don't be ignorant.

You generally get paid when you sell something.

What? I was saying NVIDIA is probably paying BIS to use their software. They are not paying anyone for selling anything. They (NVIDIA) are most likely paying companies to use their software over others', which is also known as bribing. And yes, I know bribing is a business strategy, but it doesn't always work out best for the customers of the company who is being bribed. I'm just skeptical of NVIDIA because there was a pretty big issue and investigation, if I remember right, about their business tactics.

But oh well, it's coming to Facebook where I'm sure someone will be able to make an executable version just as they did with the old ArmA II Flash Game.

Edited by Nicholas

Why would you assume that BIS is accepting bribes by default? Why is that your first thought, despite knowing that Firing Range is coming out for iPhone and Facebook etc?

Why would I assume? Why wouldn't they? I'm not in a position to decide why, but I can assume. As I said, I'm just skeptical of NVIDIA.

I'm just skeptical of NVIDIA because there was a pretty big issue and investigation, if I remember right, about their business tactics.

Yeah, coming out 2 months later....this does not help at all with the Android fragmentation.

The version initially released is for Nvidia Tegra compatible devices, for the first 2 months then other versions will be released.

Oh well, I still love BIS, I just won't be able to purchase this game.

Edited by Nicholas

We were not paid by Nvidia for this game (not that it would be bad thing :p). Anyway, surprisingly, Czech entities can not even publish their paid content to Android at all (do no ask me why, only some countries are on the list by Google for this, why some are there and others not I have no clue).

So it is very good that Nvidia helped us to bring this version to Android now and we greatly appreciate it and it is clear that their interest is in Tegra platform only.

So business theories aside, any feedback to the game it is greatly appreciated so that future releases that are coming not only for Tegra but also for other platforms (iOS, other Android devices) are as good as possible.

Edited by Suma
Typo