Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Editor improvement suggestions.

I'm new to Arma scripting but I'd like built in script debugging module (if they don't already have it) where you can set breakpoints (halts gameplay), check/set variable values, etc. I think there's already something like this out there but it'd just be nice if it was part of the game itself. And then if you go that far, why not be able to completely write long scripts from within the editor like have an expanded "init"-esque field that has intelisense that you can make use of in the editor.

Edited by bus

I'd really prefer to keep the script IDE seperate from the editor. I'm very happy with my ArmA Edit, others are very happy with their Squint or Notepad++ or UltraEdit. No need to force people to use in game tools for that.

However, having hooks in the editor which does things like check values and stuff would be pretty sweet. Just don't want to be tied to using it to write code.

Oh no, i didn't mean that you "can't" use other tools, only to make it a little easier to write scripts inside the editor, that's all.

Yeah, making things like the function browser be integral to the editor instead of a separate mission you need to swap to to check something would be awesome.

Every time BIS mentions the editor in publicity stuff, they say it is intuitive and easy to use. This is simply not true if you are a complete beginner who has opened the editor for the first time. Now before I go on, a few things: I am not demanding any of the following be implemented; it just seems like they'd save everyone alot of time and hassle. I also have no idea how difficult it would be to implement these things, and right now I have very little expectation of it ever happening so this is more of a wish (upon a star) list. Also, I know my way around the editor. I just started thinking about this after seeing a few people in the editing section asking questions about the simplest of things. So anyway:

Everything needed to make a very simple (but complete and fully playable) mission should be available in the editor, without having to trawl the forums for editing tips. I'm not even talking about having an integrated scripting bible or functions viewer or anything like that. At the very least, I'm talking about the following, which are essential parts of a complete mission:

• Briefing
  • Tasks

Support for these should be fully integrated into the editor. While writing this post I was reminded of IGOR, Ghost Recon's mission editor. I just opened it up for the first time in about 7 years, and it's awesome. Don't get me wrong - GR doesn't hold a candle to the complexity of Arma. But IGOR could only be more user-friendly if there was an animated character in the corner guiding you through it. Here's how the two things I mentioned are accomplished in IGOR:

To create a briefing, you go up to the 'Edit' menu, and click 'Briefing'. Then a window pops up and you write your briefing in it. In Arma, this would ideally create the associated files in your mission folder (clearly possible since the mission.sqm is created in a similar way).

To create objectives, you go up to 'Script' and select 'Objectives'. Then you 'Add' a new objective in the left window, and on the right you type your objective text and also give the objective a 'Tag' so you can reference it. In Arma, perhaps these created objectives could be referenced in triggers, much like custom sound files show up in a trigger's 'Effects' menu.

That's it. That's all a beginner needs, really. Obviously there would still be some reading required, but no messing about with folders and scripts and file types. This would eliminate any excuse for a mission not having a working briefing or tasks, which looks terrible and amateurish and the cause of which is usually the author being unable to grasp how to make it happen.

To clarify, I'm not saying OMG BIS U SHUD COPY IGOR. That editor uses 'block' style scripting so I understand it is quite different. Also, it's external, meaning you have to keep restarting the game to test the mission. The Arma editor is superior on that point alone.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Conjugative multiplayer editor so other players can join in and edit with you at the same time, of course.

Also, it would be AMAZING if you could change weapon loadouts for helis, planes, vehicles in general in the editor. As in, I could edit the combination of Hydras, Mavericks, GBU's in my a-10, which would be great to fine tune the vehicles for specific roles. Realistically of course, not like adding nukes to an apache or anything.

Edited by Uberduderofdoomer

right click functionality that brings up additional options for each unit - stealth/danger mode, weapon type, ammo, copy attributes (height, pos, loadout), dammage, etc.

Abilty to save presets (Ctrl+1 functionality)

3d lines to show grouping, waypoints, etc

AAR that could be replayed in the map editor would be absolutely awesome.

Conjugative multiplayer editor so other players can join in and edit with you at the same time, of course.

Also, it would be AMAZING if you could change weapon loadouts for helis, planes, vehicles in general in the editor. As in, I could edit the combination of Hydras, Mavericks, GBU's in my a-10, which would be great to fine tune the vehicles for specific roles. Realistically of course, not like adding nukes to an apache or anything.

would also be nice if you could specify what type of unit is occupying a particular vehicle.

I would like the possibility to have a OPFOR unit to change sides (without scripting).

Like the set friendly option for the independent faction.

Or maybe, you could have each faction assignable to Opfor or Blufor, or independent. Or maybe the ability to make as many teams as you want and can assign each faction to whichever, so you could have stuff like Team 1 Russia and BAF vs. Team 2 PMC and Austraila vs. Team 3 Locals vs. Team 4 US or something crazy like that.

Edited by Uberduderofdoomer

would also be nice if you could specify what type of unit is occupying a particular vehicle.

not already possible? create an empty vehicle and use _man moveInDriver _car

etc

etc

Anything is possible by scripting, but this thread is about editor improvements, so a method for doing that in the editor would be welcomed :)

etc

Thanks. I was specifically talking about a specific feature for vehicles not requiring scripting. So that it's not me telling a unit to move into an empty vehicle, but an occupied vehicle with a drop-down option to choose available units who crew the vehicle.

I hope the problems with mission making will be improved.

1. What works in the editor preview may not work in MP on your own machine.

And more important:

2. What works in MP on your own machine Fails on a didicated server.

This last problem (2.) drives mission makers to mental problems.

Anything is possible by scripting, ....

Exactly right!

Wich is why this

Don't know if this has been already said.

Incorporate the scripting wiki into the editor.

I've seen something like this in VBS2. Where you look at the commands and it tells you what they do and how it should look finished.

Also take some of the FAQs from here and armaholic and incorporate them into the misson pre-determined.

For instance everyone's favorite --- Heli Insertion.

Select the option.

You place helo, units, it asks where you want to start and where you want to finish.

Basically, it simplies the language into just plugging in numbers or units. How many in cargo - 6. Alititue -200, etc...

Not all of us have the time to sit there for hours trolling forums to get 1 aspect to work :-)

Is an absolute must. Would with out doubt be the biggest and most functional improvement. We all know it can be done, think I remember seeing something similar being used by Ivan in a pre-release version of A2

I demand. please

I like to be able to have our own in game note pad which we could save and load from within game when needed.

It would also be nice if when we click on a save mission we could see a list of the files contained within. You can't always remember the names of each script.

Edited by F2k Sel

IMO not much is needed, although it looks like we're getting an all new 3D editor anyway, so I expect the interface is going to be very different. :(

Still, one thing that has always buged me is that when you Save As under a different name, it doesn't copy any of the other files (other than the mission.sqm).

... drives mission makers to mental problems.

What do you propose?

MP is a completely different ballgame to SP. It's like parallel programming vs sequential. It isn't simple and probably never will be.

Indirect solutions may help a fair bit (eg templates/examples), but in the end locality is probably here to stay.

integrated briefing wizard (kind of thing)

Oh god yes this above all else. I would probably have close to 100 missions on armaholic except I don't put briefings in any of them.

I would just like to see it be more user friendly and like the what I have seen of the editor videos of VBS2.

I have great ideas for missons, but I don't have the time to learn the scripting and it is hard to troll through hundred of threads looking for that one line you need to make it work.

The community could make a general list of the most used/requested commands for the game. Have this auto incorporated into the editor and easier to use.

Things like:

Helo Insertions

Ambushes

Place in building

Disabling AI, etc.

It would be easy enough to place something like disableAI "Move"; in the editor as it is by just clicking on the Unit, could have a thing that says disable AI and a drop down object that has different variations.

For Helo Insertions

Choose Vehicle, What units would you like to load in cargo. Where to start and where to finish. What altitude would you like to fly in. How long would you like to stay at zone. When would you like to get picked up etc...

Meh, IMO that's very unneeded. It may seem tedious, but learning how to do these things with scripting is more beneficial than having the game generate them for you.

I guess people just don't seem to understand that some of these things are advanced functionality, and advanced functionality requires more knowledge. IMO the basic functionality of the editor (without any knowledge of scripting) is good enough for creating simple missions. More advanced missions rightfully require more advanced users. Let's not have BIS try to become like Apple where they just hide and try to simplify the advanced functionality and piss off the people who want more control.

Besides, the knowledge is very accessible and there are more than enough tutorials and places to look for help.

IMO not much is needed, although it looks like we're getting an all new 3D editor anyway, so I expect the interface is going to be very different. :(

I'd guess that the editor won't be too different. A 3D editor might mean the user having to use the ctrl, shft and alt keys to facilitate the 3D abilities and the view, but I expect the basic functionality will remain the same.

Still, one thing that has always buged me is that when you Save As under a different name, it doesn't copy any of the other files (other than the mission.sqm).

Save as... functionality I have as No.4 :) bugs me too. I use DAC a lot and I nearly always forget to do the copy/paste dance before testing the new version :D

It does surprise me though that even the init file is not copied across automatically. I guess the current editor is purely a mission.sqm only editor.

I don't think the 2d editor is being replaced. As fancy as a 3d version sounds, they're typically very inefficient without some orthographic companions. You spend 100x as long controlling the camera, alone.

We'll just get a button to switch to/from 3d I'm sure.

Would be good for me. Both Editors combined would be magic.

(Like it is in the Arma 2 3D Editor, where you have something like the usual 2D Editor and a button to switch to 3D Mode)