Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Editor improvement suggestions.

RE shaped triggers:

Perhaps a method would be to employ waypoints for triggers, except that it's not movement waypoints you're setting, but a polgonal shape. Then the trigger acts as normal i.e. the circular check, and then an additional polygonal check if the first trigger condition is met.

This idea is taken from DAC, which uses such a method very effectively. In fact I managed to make a placement zone that consisted of a narrow strip that went around a field, but didn't enter the field. Worked perfectly.

arma22010-01-2201-19-07-21.jpg

Edited by DMarkwick

I might be blind but I didn't see one of my my pet peeves about the current editor mentioned:

When you insert a trigger and "open" it you have to manually go and click on the X-axis box to be able to change the value. In OFP and A1 the cursor was there by default, please fix this bug for the A3 editor.

;)

When you insert a trigger and "open" it you have to manually go and click on the X-axis box to be able to change the value. In OFP and A1 the cursor was there by default, please fix this bug for the A3 editor.

Even better, why can't we just drag the edges/corners of the shape to resize, just like you can in any other application?

Ish, same here, i always have great ideas and start making stuff, but my lack of scripting skills and having to search the net for ages puts me off.

+1 I feel a bit handicapped tbh.. And as far as "you don't have to script to make good missions" i don't buy it.. You still got some degree of scripting, even if it's within triggers etc. There is no easy way to make anything more advanced than placing units and waypoints i feel.

Well you're always going to have learn some scripting. The only alternative is to have the scripting done in blocks with a drop-down menu for commands like I mentioned in an earlier post about Ghost Recon's editor, where you basically select a condition from a list and then select the arguments for that condition. The number of scripting commands and combinations thereof is probably too great for that to be fully functional, although having a menu like that in triggers with a few basic commands might not be a bad idea.

At the very least I think BIS should look at providing example missions and releasing more editing videos.

I wish the mission editor can be ran out of the game so I can create missions with my "low specs" laptop when I'm travelling.

No need to have a high end computer if it's just the editor and no "preview" function, but the ability to save the mission.sqm and all the script and files in the mission folder.

When I return home I copy the mission folder to my profile in order to preview, test and compile.

I wish the mission editor can be ran out of the game so I can create missions with my "low specs" laptop when I'm travelling.

No need to have a high end computer if it's just the editor and no "preview" function, but the ability to save the mission.sqm and all the script and files in the mission folder.

When I return home I copy the mission folder to my profile in order to preview, test and compile.

That wouldn´t be a bad Idea.

Make a Smartphone Editor App so that you can create Mission while you are on the way

I would like to see AI, when going through waypoints, not stop, and seem to think about the next one, before continuing on....

A smooth route would be nice for AI, to make them seem not so much like robots.

There is actually a website that will make the mission for you, don't recall the URL, but it's on this forum somewhere.

There is actually a website that will make the mission for you, don't recall the URL, but it's on this forum somewhere.

PlannedAssault? Never got around to trying it myself. Love the concept.

I would like to see AI, when going through waypoints, not stop, and seem to think about the next one, before continuing on....

A smooth route would be nice for AI, to make them seem not so much like robots.

AI tries to maintain formation according to their combat behaviour. Setting their speed mode to "full" in waypoint may increase WP validation time.

Is there something the community does not demand? :p

Errr... Killstreaks :p

Planned Assault is excellent for something free, but a dedicated editor away from ArmA would be a welcome addition to the suggestions already proposed.

Edited by Ten Bensons

Kind of an editor thing i guess, but creating a briefing for user missions to be as easy as they were in ofp and ArmA1 would be nice.

Kind of an editor thing i guess, but creating a briefing for user missions to be as easy as they were in ofp and ArmA1 would be nice.

Easier even.

Tasks (F8) Click to place one on the map, sync it with a trigger or unit or whatever. Group it with markers or something. All fields and MP/respawn synched.

I really like the current system and actually find it easier and more powerful than ArmA1, but some kind of editor for it would be a nice thing to have.

please, also add more information or editable day/night settings. with some icon showing the moon phase and ubication in the sky. sometimes I need to make a night mission and I need a bright moon light night because there is no NV available, and I have to test every date and hour to obtain the best scenario