Sign in to follow this  
Sky999

Anyone for the idea of more realistic 'destroyed' vehicle models?

One of the major things that always bugged me about ARMA and ARMA2 was that when a plane/jet/tank/vehicle was destroyed, more often than not it simply morphed into a black version of itself, like this...

ArmA2_bug_21.jpg

I've always wanted BIS to make crashes damage the vehicle more like these...

img_2287.jpg

Super%206-1%20crash%20site%20(2).BMP

Obviously I'm not saying that vehicles don't catch fire and burn, but it's annoying in ARMA and ARMA2, when you shoot a jeep for example and all of a sudden it just goes 'poof' and instantly turns black and into the destroyed model.

I'd like to be able to have more crashes, especially in Helicopters, where I know that the minute the chopper starts to go down, I don't need to restart the game because it's likely going to be a 'black poof' death.

I'd like to see helicopters surviving crashes more often, and seeing the survivors and casualties still inside the chopper instead of them just vanishing when the chopper goes into 'destruction' mode.

Operation Flashpoint did this and I was really happy about it, they still had the black damage models, but they kept the units visible even after this happened, so I could still see the people killed inside the vehicle instead of them just vanishing the moment the vehicle is destroyed, which kills immersion.

Operation Flashpoint did this and I was really happy about it, they still had the black damage models, but they kept the units visible even after this happened, so I could still see the people killed inside the vehicle instead of them just vanishing the moment the vehicle is destroyed, which kills immersion.

Because OFP doesn't have dammaged models, but models crunching after destruction.

So...you would prefer the instant black models?

overall i think collisions and the partial destruction of hardware could be improved, particularly for heli blades finding their way into objects like trees or the sides of buildings. I'd like to see the blades shawn off, rather than flipping into crazy bouncy uncontrollabe upside down world.

So...you would prefer the instant black models?

Nope, just saying that OFP doesn't replace functional vehicles by destroyed models (unless scripted), so proxy positions remain with dead crew inside. And i prefer the ArmA2 destruction model on the OFP one, which was weird by default.

Offtopic but I have to say that the soldier in the first pic is almost invisible!

Ontopic: It would be hell for addon makers being how demanding it is to make addons for Arma 2 as it is...

A vehicle destruction like this would be awesome for ArmA III:

This is something the PR guys are experimenting

Offtopic but I have to say that the soldier in the first pic is almost invisible!

Wow, now that you've mentioned it I see him too! Damn, he's really almost invisible

Edited by ScratcH1

Hopefully they put the PhysX engine to good use and allow realtime deformation of vehicles, parts coming apart and realistic destruction of vehicles and aerial vehicles.

This is something I would really like to see improved in ArmA3. For example, the IEDs would become 10000% more realistic than they are now in ArmA2.

The constant explosion becomes aggrivating as well, to a point it can get in the way of more complex damage systems so that when the helicopter does crash it shouldn't explode as much as crease to function. It would be neat if vehicles could be taken out via engines rather than the BOOM (it happens to helo's but I'm also talking tanks and cars)

OF course physics could play into this for example as it stands in Arma2 using a detection script you could fly too low and too fast and clip your rotor blades BUT because the geometry never changes it would act as though they are there and due to the damage system where BOOM equals the end...well...clip tree, break rotors, BOOM.

Edited by NodUnit

I really hope they are implementing physx in this way, to enhance the simulation aspect, and not just for hardware-wasting eye candy. Partial destruction of vehicles, loss of doors etc through physx would truly add something to the gameplay. Working doors on vehicles would be a step in the right direction. At the very least there will be no more bouncing 100m in the air when driving a 70 ton tank over any geological entity larger than a fingernail. Physx destruction would allow for different destroyed models, rather than just spawning in a detailed wreck model. Only detailed wreck models would allow for that aesthetic you get in movies, but physx destruction would allow for better simulation and greater variety, that seems to be the best way to go for the style of this particular sim.

LMAO the OLD battlefield2 Instant crispy version of a vehicle with no real dmg. bleh I really hope they go all out balls to the wall on the vehicle damage. because if a simple game like mafia,GTA, ect these guys should be able to

+1 for not-always-exploding-crashed-vehicles, and for bodies that stay visible. Oh, and for a chance of survivors.

Oh, and for your PoV to stay in the same place when you die, I know i'm meant to be dead but I still find it unnerving when my view snaps to the centre of the vehicle.

I don't think destroyed vehicles look too bad at the moment, but any improvement is obviously welcome.

Oh, and for your PoV to stay in the same place when you die, I know i'm meant to be dead but I still find it unnerving when my view snaps to the centre of the vehicle.

This needs a separate topic. Death in ArmA 3. Hell, even a killcam would be better than we have now: while being suppressed by an M249 is scary and atmospheric to the point of you being scared to death, with your adrenaline levels heightened, being hit by one of those bullets is... anti-climatic. :D

You can use the above for a preface of the topic to make a case for it.

Couldn't agree more. One thing I hope they change is how helicopters react to damage. I want to see more dramatic drops and allow choppers to crash into the terrain without instantly bursting into flames.

I'd love to see a chopper full of men splash into the ground and then see a handful of said men hopping out a little worse for wear.

Couldn't agree more. One thing I hope they change is how helicopters react to damage. I want to see more dramatic drops and allow choppers to crash into the terrain without instantly bursting into flames.

I'd love to see a chopper full of men splash into the ground and then see a handful of said men hopping out a little worse for wear.

Something like this would be sweet

This would be nice, my only concern is how much this would lag with more than 2 vehicles on the map. :P

Seeing as individual parts in vehicles kill FPS fast.

But to have them be destructable and removable from the model is beyond me.

I would love to see the improved destruction of the environment and vehicles...

If that occurs then particle effects deffinetly need a huge improvement.

I would love to see helicopters survive more and have visible crew inside.

Not just helos, but fixed wing aircraft as well. I'd absolutely love it if arma 3 got past the issue where if a vehicle hits the ground at a predefined speed, it instantly results in catastrophic explosion. There have been a ton of times where I've attempted a crash landing, came in at 50 KIAS, clipped a tree with a wing and came to a full stop, stayed alive for a second or two, and then the entire plane explodes and turns into a giant chunk of coal.

Fixing this would also be amazing for in flight ejections. The eject function in fixed wing aircraft is 100% useless at the moment. You have no internal instrument indicators to let you know that you've received damage. Your 'hull' is either green or dead. And as soon as a stray 7.62 round hits your plane anywhere when you're near the predefined threshhold, the entire plane turns into a fireball and immediately murders the pilot without remorse.

Edited by TheCapulet

If that occurs then particle effects deffinetly need a huge improvement.

I would love to see helicopters survive more and have visible crew inside.

Just make the helo not explode upon hard touch down, if ragdolls are not going to be applied to them. For helos half-way to the underworld, we already have great textures: bullet holes, blackened hull, scratches. So make that one work, you can have your xplosion & a black steaming wreck, once an RPG has been sent into the fuel tank, while it's on the ground. ;)