Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

Make 100 headshots and get a free sniper rifle DLC.

Really, what they have done to game I love since 12 years... :mad:

Have you gone mental?

Do you really think some shit steam achievements is going to change Arma that much?

first off, thank you for explaining very clearly :) Secondly, examples like this is all I see on these Steam Workshops. It doesn't look like the moderators care very much about the creator's rights. I want to know who will be moderating the Steam Workshop for ArmAIII? Is it a Valve employee? Or will be it be Foxhound/Max Powers? If not, is it possible for BI to disable the workshop itself?

Garry's mod in general doesn't care much about rights. 90% of the mods for it are model rips from other games so I don't even consider it relevant - as it was like that prior to steam workshop.

Gamespy is shutting down, so Steamworks will probably be the basis for the MP servers.

As far as I know, only the GameSpy news site is shutting down. This GameSpy article from December may help clear up the situation a bit:

On one side there's us, the small, dedicated team of enthusiasts on www.GameSpy.com who love to tell you about the best stuff out there in the world of PC gaming. We're owned by benevolent overlords IGN Entertainment (who lend us a helping hand from time to time but otherwise pretty much just let us do our thing).
On the other side there's GameSpy Technologies, which you can find at www.PoweredByGameSpy.com (and on Facebook and @gamespytech on Twitter), which makes and maintains the GameSpy multiplayer middleware used by the games listed above and many more. Though the two sides began as one company, in recent years there's been little or no collaboration between them. In August of 2012 that separation was made official, and GameSpy Tech was sold by IGN to GLU Mobile. So, despite sharing the GameSpy name and logo, we currently have nothing to do with each other at all -- we don't even work in the same office anymore.

There isn't any announcement on GameSpy Technologies' blog (which is linked to on their front page as "news feed"), so I doubt they're shutting down.

Wikipedia claims the entire GameSpy is owned by Glu. I'm going to edit that with that article as a citation.

We (or you) will see one day I guess.

But please don't complain then when MP is ruined by people who only care about their achievements.

If it changes Arma even more than everything recently revealed I guess it doesn't matter much. It's obvious that BI is more interested in reaching a broader audience than aiming for what made them a favorite developer for over a decade. Sad but true.

first off, thank you for explaining very clearly :) Secondly, examples like this is all I see on these Steam Workshops. It doesn't look like the moderators care very much about the creator's rights. I want to know who will be moderating the Steam Workshop for ArmAIII? Is it a Valve employee? Or will be it be Foxhound/Max Powers? If not, is it possible for BI to disable the workshop itself?

I for one hope that they don't use Workshop at all. That whole Garry's Mod thing though, that's crap is going on over at Facepunch Forums. They just rip stuff and get away with it. So, I hope that BIS doesn't use Workshop. But, then again, that's not something that's going to change with ArmA3 being Steam-exclusive. This has been going on for years, and whether or not ArmA3 is Steam-exclusive has absolutely nothing to do with the possibility of people stealing addon-makers content. These guys aren't stealing addon content to rerelease in the same game. They are stealing to put it in Garry's Mod. So, they might be doing this with ArmA2 (although I haven't seen it). I know they've been doing this with other, arcade FPS games.

@Wolle I just posted up features of Steamworks, features that you can look up yourself. Why are you pretending like achievements are the only feature to come with Steamworks? Achievements is an optional feature. Here is the webpage detailing Steamworks features that BIS would be interested in implementing:

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/gameservices.php

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/developmenttools.php

As to why you haven't seen BIS mention ANY features that a Steam-exclusive ArmA 3 benefits from, that's because they only just mentioned that the game will be Steam-exclusive. You know that. You know they've said nothing of achievements or anything. Why pretend like they said something they didn't say? What's the point in that?

I have to say I'm disappointed. But we can't do anything to change it.

What makes me the most upset is the use of the Steam Workshop. Why? Just, Why? :(

What makes me the most upset is the use of the Steam Workshop. Why? Just, Why? :(

You don't have to use it - you know? :rolleyes:

Just look at Skyrim how it is working even without workshop

Edited by RobertHammer

And once again, point to a source where it says that Steam Workshop will be used. Oh yeah, that's right, IT DOESN'T! NOTHING says that they are using Steam Workshop. So why do you guys keep bringing up this false notion, this strawman argument, just to support your opinion?

I think, that it should be somewhere stated (preferably by a mod or dev) in a sticky thread what exactly the steam exclusivity mean. Because I see many mis-understandings about what it mean and many unneeded fighting going on there.

I think, that it should be somewhere stated (preferably by a mod or dev) in a sticky thread what exactly the steam exclusivity mean. Because I see many mis-understandings about what it mean and many unneeded fighting going on there.

And THIS is why I say this thread needs to be closed. As long as no one has answers, this thread will go in circles with more unneeded fighting. It serves no purpose. Besides, certain individuals refuse to look at the facts and seem content on furthering this infighting.

And once again, point to a source where it says that Steam Workshop will be used. Oh yeah, that's right, IT DOESN'T! NOTHING says that they are using Steam Workshop. So why do you guys keep bringing up this false notion, this strawman argument, just to support your opinion?

You'll see.

You could just sift back through the thread and see that 5133p39 is a BI developer and who stated this.

* Steam Workshop is more readily accessible than external websites probably making it the main venue for mods, but at the same time it's more tedious to browse and the admins are lazy about ownership issues

...ok, so dont use it. Nobody forces you to do so. You can just download the mods manually, or via some updater (i am sure the 6updater will adapt)

Edited by Binkowski

Seeing as they put 2 posts in the developer's blog regarding steam, I don't believe they forgot to mention how steamworks would be implemented. So don't expect that sticky anytime soon.

They also don't deny it anywhere. Neither Dwarden nor Placebo nor anyone else. So there is at least a chance that it will be used. And given how many obviously ripped content is there I understand the concerns very well. No need to attack the content creators just because they are worried about their work being ripped and stolen.

Please, the fact a game is being distributed via Steam doesn't automatically mean there must be achievements - half of my Steam games have no achievements at all.

So, until we see something about achievements in Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion, stop with the panic.

Also, i have to correct my post regarding Steam's Offline Mode.

In short: it works.

The most probable cause why it didn't worked for me, was that i must have killed Steam before it finished it's updating - can't tell for sure, but that would explain everything.

Anyway, the offline mode works 100% correctly since then.

You could just sift back through the thread and see that 5133p39 is a BI developer and who stated this.
Please, i didn't "stated" anything.

I only expressed my opinion - the fact that i belong to BI staff, really doesn't mean i know everything - more importantly, even if i'd knew, i am not entitled to reveal anything that wasn't already officially revealed by the people responsible.

If you look at my profile or avatar, you don't even see anything linking me to BI - thats because i only express my personal opinions here.

So if i say "i don't think so", then it means just that: "i don't THINK so", and NOT "oh no, it wont be there, for a fact".

Unfortunately, seeing that people can get confused about it, i'd better refrain from any furter discussions.

One more time, this thread is going nowhere, and the reason it was locked yesterday is the same reason it should be locked again. Lock this thread, cease this discussion, reopen it after there's been time for all this rage to cool off and after we've received more information.
Yet you continue to participate in it. The decision has been made to reopen this thread so perhaps you should follow your own advice to accept it and move on.
You know they've said nothing of achievements or anything. Why pretend like they said something they didn't say? What's the point in that?
What else would they (BIS) be eluding to with this "This resulted in some cool ideas, which are in progress of being implemented"?

Greed (money) is the route of all evil. We all know that the reason ArmA 3 is going steam exclusive is because all the zombies who bought ArmA II for DayZ purchased it through steam and not hard copy. No brainer, case closed.

That makes someone solid for what?

The joining date is solid for the qualities and the knowlegde of people? Even the age?

It's the proof of be above it all, isn't it?

The point I am making is that I've been around here for the past 12 years to show whether I'm someone who habitually tells lies. I have never in that time told a lie to anyone on here and the fact that someone who's been around for only a very small fraction of the time I've been here accuses me of telling lies (without having the actual balls to outright say it) rather displeases me.

How about arma3 private servers?

"Steam-exclusive" - it is mean no longer be private game in local network?

If it is - it is are very bad because kids can pay rent for the server and they don't require any knowledge about setup this server.

"Hey I took credit card of my mother and now I am a super admin. I can do anything. Ho-Ho!" We saw this many times in BF3...

PS. I am admin of FreeBSD/linux ....

As for the raised issue about a potential problem with addon theft etc. etc. we can't obviously speak for other games/communities but I'll repost what I first posted the other day on the topic:

I like to think I and others have been very pro-active in taking a stance against addon theft, both content taken from Arma addons and used in Arma addons as well as content taken from Arma and used in other games, this won't change if and when Arma content is used on Workshop, anyone who finds their Arma content used in a way that they don't agree to on the Workshop or elsewhere is always welcome to PM or Email me (Placebo@idea-games.com) and I will do everything possible to get it taken down ASAP, that hasn't changed nor will ever change whilst I work for BIS/IDEA :)

;2303152']Greed (money) is the route of all evil. We all know that the reason ArmA 3 is going steam exclusive is because all the zombies who bought ArmA II for DayZ purchased it through steam and not hard copy. No brainer' date=' case closed.[/quote']

I agree.

;2303152']Greed (money) is the route of all evil. We all know that the reason ArmA 3 is going steam exclusive is because all the zombies who bought ArmA II for DayZ purchased it through steam and not hard copy. No brainer' date=' case closed.[/quote']

probably

but a solid attempt by bis to make up another reason

basically it's: drm is effective agianst piracy -> more sales if launched with drm because piracy = less sales -> multiple versions needed unless steam exclusive, because all publishers have other drm -> multiple versions is trouble -> therefore steam exclusive.

Edited by Leon86

They also don't deny it anywhere. Neither Dwarden nor Placebo nor anyone else. So there is at least a chance that it will be used. And given how many obviously ripped content is there I understand the concerns very well. No need to attack the content creators just because they are worried about their work being ripped and stolen.

Not attacking addon makers. However, Steam Workshop doesn't steal content. Ripped content is on Garry's Mod, those guys over at Facepunch forums. Those guys steal content and have been doing so before Steam Workshop. That theft has nothing to do with Steam Workshop. Steam Workshop is just another medium on which they distribute it. That's been going on before ArmA3 became Steam-exclusive, so that doesn't change whether ArmA is Steam-exclusive or not.

BIS hasn't confirmed or denied anything, there's been no comment, so why should you automatically assume that Steam Workshop is being used? I understand concerns, I just don't think that it's warranted to only have these concerns in regards to Steam Workshop.

For my part I have no idea at present what Steam/Steam Workshop type features will or won't be confirmed so I can't confirm or deny anything, I'm just personally hopeful achievements are in as I enjoy the concept! :)