Sign in to follow this  
vinc3nt

Scopes

It would be nice to see an improvement of scopes on weapons to allow:

- Slight distortion around the edges of scopes

PSO-1_reticle_Romanian_2.JPG

- The view of the scope with the player's surroundings still visible (maybe a button to increase/decrease the distance of the scope to the player)

http://snarkybytes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/through_scope.jpg 200kb

A good video showing what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaoz-qVcvd8

Edited by Alex72
Image >100kb

He means the Render to Texture feature to use on Scopes and create realistic 3D scopes :)

i believe theres already distortion around scopes now in ArmA2.

I remember there being distortion on the I44 Tank Sights.

I support 3D scopes. Im all in for things that makes it look, feel, sound better and everything that can improve immersion really.

He means the Render to Texture feature to use on Scopes and create realistic 3D scopes :)

That would be like 'picture-in-picture', Robert?

W2lxesz7AaQ

It would be nice to see an improvement of scopes on weapons to allow:

- Slight distortion around the edges of scopes

- The view of the scope with the player's surroundings still visible (maybe a button to increase/decrease the distance of the scope to the player)

A good video showing what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaoz-qVcvd8

The scope views above work only for a camera not for a human individual. I simply fail to look trough a scope and concentrate on a target with both eyes open. Only a camera can do that. In the right position the scope veiw fills my whole field of view and i can't see anything around it since human eyes can onyl have ONE FOCUS. Edited by W0lle
quoted images

A camera is effectively one eye........

You don't put your eye right to the edge of the scope, that's only going to give you a black eye, you sit a good few inches back and therefore, whilst not concentrating on the surrounding area, it is still visible.

That's perfect, add in some blur/partial shroud around the scope & on the edges of the screen, and you're set.

Maybe more obscured blur to left to simulate you closing that eye to focus on the scope.

I just went out to check and this is what I see!

l.jpg

The pictures above where made with high fidelioty cameras that can "see" much more than the human eye.

I use a Rubber piece around the ocular to screen stray light as most military scopes on full caliber rifles also do.

Maybe more obscured blur to left to simulate you closing that eye to focus on the scope.

Discriminatory! :mad: As I imagine it though, there should be a visible 'gap' between said obscured area and the outline of the scope, so you're able to quickly react to threats not in the FOV of the optics.

Discriminatory! :mad: As I imagine it though, there should be a visible 'gap' between said obscured area and the outline of the scope, so you're able to quickly react to threats not in the FOV of the optics.
It is very disorienting to have both eyes open while looking with one eye at 8x magnifiction...to avoid the disorientation you will instinctivly close one eye. A wide angle camere picture can't reproduce that Edited by Beagle

It is very disorienting to have both eyes open when lokkign with one eye at 8x magnifiction...to avoid the disorientation you will instinctivly close one eye. A wide angle camere picture can't reproduce that

Certainly sat here just now on a three monitor set up I lose more than half of the left screen straight away when closing me left eye.

Then if making it more realistic by moving your head towards the scope I would lose the left monitors view altogether.

One thing I have always noticed with FPS games is that you always bring the sights fully up to your eye when in reality you eventually have to lower your head down to the right to the sights.

Lets see that implemented too.

I know you don't look down a scope with both eyes open!

But the idea of allowing some of the background to be visible outside the scope (of course the background wouldn’t be crystal clear, it would have a depth of field effect), would be a very nice improvement to the current "zoom in and put a 2D overlay on top".

EDIT:

If you look down a scope and an enemy is in front but at angle that you don't see him through the scope then, in-game you are none the wiser and get killed. But IRL (providing the eye is not pressed on the scope (which could cause damage from recoil if the sniper was fired), the marksman could spot the enemy (or a general figure) in front of him, and focus his attention to the enemy and move the scope accordingly.

In Arma 2 (and most other games), if you are fired upon by an enemy (and are not killed straight away) that you cannot see as you are aiming down the scope; you have to unzoom find the enemy and zoom back up to the enemy to take the shot.

Edited by vinc3nt

I think that seeing a realistic aimpoint and eotech simulation would be even cooler, is that possible with render-to-texture?

Many professional photographers keep the non-aiming eye open when shooting. It is a matter of confort and relaxation, of course, along with visual concentration.

Do you know what your aiming eye is?

Do the dominant eye test.

If you know this it might get easier to focus on the aiming eye augmented sight, without closing your left eye. Usualy the right but varies from person to person and it is not tied to righthandedness, I suppose you could call it rightsightedness lol.

I am all for better scopes! Specially if they come compatible with Stereo 3D. Something which may become too difficult if a right head tilt is implemented as per Liquidpinky suggestion (they would need proper alignment).

Many professional photographers keep the non-aiming eye open when shooting. It is a matter of confort and relaxation, of course, along with visual concentration.

Do you know what your aiming eye is?

Do the dominant eye test.

If you know this it might get easier to focus on the aiming eye augmented sight, without closing your left eye. Usualy the right but varies from person to person and it is not tied to righthandedness, I suppose you could call it rightsightedness lol.

I am all for better scopes! Specially if they come compatible with Stereo 3D. Something which may become too difficult if a right head tilt is implemented as per Liquidpinky suggestion (they would need proper alignment).

This doesn not work whan youre looking through a 12x magnification Scope. Your Eyes can't adapt to such an situation when left eyes sees 1x and right eye sees 12x and it doesn matter how long you try to adapt. Thats the reason why even professional sports marksman in olympic grade use eyepatches.

I think that seeing a realistic aimpoint and eotech simulation would be even cooler, is that possible with render-to-texture?

Definitely.

Either Red Orchestra, or this WIP sniper simulation game as well:

It also demonstrate the scope adjustment, optical shadow and double reflections. And no PIP problem when look down the scope.

Either Red Orchestra, or this WIP sniper simulation game as well:

It also demonstrate the scope adjustment, optical shadow and double reflections. And no PIP problem when look down the scope.

And this in in no way reflecting reality...its a game feature. I stared for about 15 Minztes now through a 10x50 scope and I stil have no benefit but a real diasadvantage with both eyes open.

The video above is only possible with a superhuman perception and a superhuman FOV. Al I can do in firing stance is to scan area with left eye and look trough scope with right eye for aim...but noth both at the same time. This is just another "über realism" feature giving "better than real" features you can find in games nowadays...its not better or more accurate than a aiming reticule.

Edited by Beagle

And this in in no way reflecting reality...its a game feature. I stared for about 15 Minztes now through a 10x50 scope and I stil have no benefit but a real diasadvantage with both eyes open.

The video above is only possible with a superhuman perception and a superhuman FOV. Al I can do in firing stance is to scan area with left eye and look trough scope with right eye for aim...but noth both at the same time. This is just another "über realism" feature giving "better than real" features you can find in games nowadays...its not better or more accurate than a aiming reticule.

There's only one camera in every FPS games. No real 2-eyes visions which is doubled together into one screen, and never forget that you can move closer the scope to become a classic style scope aiming.

There's only one camera in every FPS games. No real 2-eyes visions which is doubled together into one screen, and never forget that you can move closer the scope to become a classic style scope aiming.
You get a usable view through a scope only in a specific distance to the eye..thats around 8cm from the ocular lens...further away and you see nothing. Would be really good if people would try the feature they call "more realistic" RL before posting here, would safe much time and posts.

Examples with Bushnell Sportview 4-12x40

l.jpg

l.jpg

Edited by Beagle

.thats around 8cm from the ocular lens...further away and you see nothing.

That is because of the outlet scope ring cause that.

Why not to pretend the zoomed scope to use in ARMA2 reddot sight's way? Like give a view of both outside and scope first, to tunnel the tiny view of zoomed target first, and then hold the RMB to zoom into scope view.