Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

A view of ArmA II multiplayer from a TF2, CSS, BF2 player

Yea that is true it should do it in the game but TBH, what other games with mods does it?

none of them to my knowledge. Look at the old BF games. you had to install each mod manually. those games did not have no server to just download and update the mods.

All it takes for the average joe is to download six updater or addon Sync and thats it. its very very easy!

Yea that is true it should do it in the game but TBH, what other games with mods does it?

Have you ever played any Call of Duty on PC, or perhaps Red Orchestra? On-the-fly downloading and addon activation.

ID Tech based games do it too, even lower budget titles like Mount&Blade

tons of games allow on the fly addon dowload, and then restart the game with the correct mod activated

Have you ever played any Call of Duty on PC, or perhaps Red Orchestra? On-the-fly downloading and addon activation.

both black ops, MW2 and even world at war diddnt even have mod support if im not mistaken as they wanted to force people to pay for DLC?

About red orchestra, i played that and did not know it had mod support.

Sounds like some games have that implementations while others dont.

IMO i am happy with using six updater for now. it does exactly what it says on the tin.

World at War and the PC version of CODs before it had what Celery said, jonneymendoza.

Knowing ID Tech means Quake, Ennemy Territory, and many others, knowing Unreal Engine based games have this ability too, that makes quite a lot of titles :)

World at War and the PC version of CODs before it had what Celery said, jonneymendoza.

Cool well i was almost right as in black ops and MW2 doesnt have it?

Of course. They realized that they can make their fanbase buy any DLC containing any amount of content for any sum of money. No point in supporting mods if that's the case. :rolleyes:

"in general" "BF/CSS/CoD/TF2 player opinion" is oxymoron.

like "pikachu music preferences".

or 'flies gastronomic preferences".

let alone care about it.

no offense/nothing personal.

I believe that the BIS should not focus on expanding into high populations of players on servers in the ARMA (COD-style), but it should facilitate the maximum that new players are exposed to the world of this game in a way easier, letting them focus more on fun and gameplay than actually in installation procedures of MODs, doing this, everyone wins this BONUS.

Look, MODs is the premium point of ARMA, I'm suggesting to the BIS to improve its current addon architecture, so we can create new islands and objects linked directly to the server (or for mission xD), thus facilitating the life of every world. even think it should be the feature number one for ARMA3.

Another thing we developers of scripts would need is the ability to create unit tests, now is poor in comparison with real-world tools like those in high-level languages ​ (Ex. C#, Java).

wrong.

they shouldn't.

"in general" "BF/CSS/CoD/TF2 player opinion" is oxymoron.

like "pikachu music preferences".

or 'flies gastronomic preferences".

let alone care about it.

no offense/nothing personal.

wrong.

they shouldn't.

It's you who is wrong. Deal with it.

Have you not read anything i have said above your post?

Try SIX updater or addon Sync. it DOES exactly what the OP wants!

It automatically downloads all the mods thats required for most servers within a few button clicks! :j:

I'll get on it, thanks. Lately I don't always have time to tinker, and aftedr 4 days have only been able to join one game with players on it and don't see identifiers in the server browser indicating which games are playing the most updated stock version.

I'm trying six updater v2.4 beta 3...hope I can connect to a server with players tonight.

Edited by elvinjones

Have you not read anything i have said above your post?

Try SIX updater or addon Sync. it DOES exactly what the OP wants!

It automatically downloads all the mods thats required for most servers within a few button clicks! :j:

It needs to be incorporated into the game itself. Yes I know that the SIX updater or Addon Sync work well for my 1st point, but I was trying to explain why I think ArmA II fails on the part of public games from the view of person who is accustomed to other, more accessible multiplayer games that don't require downloading a third party program.

Yes, cookie - fragmentation is very bad in multi-player games, and MP is what sells the game nowadays. If there's a working solution, it should be implemented, unless there's something better in the works.

I somewhat disagree with Point 2 of the OP.

I do agree that Domination can be chaotic if not managed correctly. For example, in the TAW Domination server, people are constantly spinning up in valuable helicopters and slamming them into things like the ground. People take AH-64's and rip up the AO before infantry can get there and do much of anything. Infantry gets left painstakingly searching for the two guys still sitting around and spending time capturing camps and blowing radio towers. In short, fun for one or two people, utterly boring for the others.

That's not to say that this is what always happens. When fewer people are on the server, teamplaying becomes much easier to coordinate even in largely un-moderated servers like TAW.

The reason I play Domination incessantly is that I've actually found a good server for it. The 7th Cavalry have organized the best Domination server I've found to date. I've found a good server and i've stuck to it. Teamwork is routine on this server if you're in the TS3 channel, especially if the population is lower.

They have a sensible RoE and admins are usually available for contacting at most hours of the day.

When the server is full, it can still get somewhat difficult to handle. Still, it's nothing close to what I've found on other servers.

What you need for Domination to work is a good, strictly enforced RoE.

Anyways, enough of that.

I think that one large problem is that a lot of people, such as me, are utterly clueless about computers. I had to get a very nice person to guide me 3 times through Addon Sync so I could install ACE. Luckily, I don't need to be shown multiple times and I understand how it works now. But something needs to be done to get 6Updater and Yoma out there and give them an instruction manual for computer idiots.

dont know if its mentioned before, but you seriously should check out the insurgency missions!

i play this very often in public and iam everytime amazed how good the teamplay is going.

the factors that allow teamplay without much conversation is the first aid system, the respawn on teammates and the intel spots.

most of the time ALL the players are around the area of intel and you can have some very nice team actions without joining a clan :)

Go play your princess games then!

TF2, CS:S are dead to me, look at this

This is TFC

This is TF2

TF2, more players, but also more children, less mature teens/adults. CS:S is not soo bad, but still the older ones are preferable.. The old good stuff is taken out, gameplay is made too easy, and the only improvement is the graphics.. BF2 seems like a great FPS game, but this is a whole different category, and BF2's size/scope will never be able to compare. If you put a BF2 or even newer BF3 map in the size of an Arma3 map, you really wouldn't have as much room for peculiar details and such.

If you want to be Mr. Hollywood Shootout Guy, go to BF2. Then, you can have fun being realistic on a simulator if you're into that kinda stuff on Arma2. Also, you should play original Operation Flashpoint if you didn't, and play the campaign, it's great. You get to be a lone survivor and rambo stuff pretty good, very fun game, while still maintaining the basic 'big size' and some early BI trajectory stuff.

Go play your princess games then!

You and the likes of you are ruining this community. Please go away.

well I have been banging away at A2Free for over 2 weeks now, started from scratch. Ummm . . . I don't really get Domination and am still trying to figure it out. Its good fun though.

I did happen on a mission "Wings of steel" which was awesome . .chock full of jets and not locked . . loads of fun.

1. I like the huge big maps

2. I enjoy the general sense of not knowing whats going on and having to discover it.

3. I'm hooked

more jets please

this game requires only three implementations for to become a Wonderful FPS

1 AAS advance and secure mode (or conquest mode)

2 weapons reloading's animations

3 more user friendly MP interface (a lot of keyboard commands IMHO)

Ok so i will give my impression from someone who has only being playing Arma MP on public servers for about 2 weeks, but has spent untold amounts of time reading through threads and read me files because i know this game can be amazing, once i work it all out!

First of all, i am that sort of person who likes to work things out, which after only reading the first 6 pages of this thread, is not like what a lot of newbies to Arma appear to be, or what some 'vets' perceive most of them to be.

I will look for, find and join my ideal clan when i feel ready, but for now i have just been playing public, learning the gui, different games etc as i don't want to feel like an infant when i do join a clan! There are i guess a lot of newbies not like that who would prefer it all so easily and readily explained and wished that BI had put more effort in doing so!

My guess is, they/BI will! Of course they will! But if you look at what they have created, been working on and achieved with this game and engine so far you can forgive and understand why they haven't yet, because of the mountain of obstacles they have over come in making the game playable in how they envisioned from the start!

I think... (and i'm not a veteran who knows the game/engine/company from the start) they are coming very close to the stability and performance they want that would make the game 'soo' much more accessible/playable to many more gamers in terms of performance that would create an influx in public players able to enjoy the full Arma experience to begin with! If the majority of new players can't see this then they can't see that! So until 'then' it will always be niche, 'then' i reckon being Arma 3 (hopefully). This is the 3rd time i have installed and tried Arma in a couple of years, but my pc was never up to scratch were i felt i was getting the real Arma experience...now it is!

One point i will say and that already has been said, is if you want it... you have to go and make it happen yourself! If you want real tactical gameplay on a small/compact, map/village, infantry combat in woods etc, you will have to find it for yourself, either in like minded players or simply make your own maps, villages, playing fields to accommodate your own requirements.

Organisation requires organisation!

Tactics requires Tactics!!!

To sum up; i could list all the little modifications i would love to 'have' or 'see' BI create for this game (as many others already have), but there is no point! The minds that have created this game already knew that before we even realised it, only until they think the game/engine is ready for it, it will not be introduced! Here's hoping Arma 3 is it ;)

If people can't understand or see further than the end of their nose, so be it! I will still be enjoying the experience in the way they had hoped, even if they are not!