Sign in to follow this  
Joe98

How to take a screen shot? Other games easy!

I often take screen shots of games and post them on forums. See a sample below.

I cannot take a screen shot of OA!

I use WIN 7, 64 bit

How to take a screen shot of OA?

-

KH1.JPG

-

I use 'ZDRecorder' for frame-grabs and video capture. (It allows control of quality/size and codec for capture)

Yes, but print screen should work. Ive seen this in few other newer games as well. It worked just fine in Armed Assault. Its rather annoying to use fraps or smt.

Yes, but print screen should work. Ive seen this in few other newer games as well. It worked just fine in Armed Assault. Its rather annoying to use fraps or smt.

I agree, it was broken a dozen patches ago and never fixed.

Well, PrintScreen works. At least for me. But it only copies the image to the windows clipboard, so got to paste it in Paint.

Technically it ain't broken, but it's hardly a feature either =/

FRAPS is free and dead easy,

http://www.fraps.com/

you can either take single screenshots one at a time, or take a sequence of shots at timed intervals like my setup below for 1-second intervals.

For example when some onscreen action begins, you hit the key to begin snapping pictures at set intervals until you hit the key again to stop it.

Then when the game's over you can go through all the saved pics and select the ones you like best for posting..:)

fraps.gif

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Well, PrintScreen works. At least for me. But it only copies the image to the windows clipboard, so got to paste it in Paint.

Technically it ain't broken, but it's hardly a feature either =/

Well, i thought it at least at some point it worked as it should, I remember pulling FRAPS specifically for ArmA2 from some old leftover windows install which i never fully deleted. :p

Though having to start FRAPS just for taking a screenshot is rather annoying imo.

Or if you've got a STEAM install. Press F12 in game and you'll take a screenshot. (which will also be managed and organized by steam.)

I use playclaw.com which also gives me a Teamspeak3 overlay.

-k

Why not just have Fraps start at Windows launch? I do that and just leave it on in case I need it.

Why not just have Fraps start at Windows launch? I do that and just leave it on in case I need it.

I dont like having unnecessary programs running in the background, and i only rarely make a screenshot.

Fraps is the best in my opinion, but it consumes a lot of your performance. The other best one is DXTory but its not free. Well, fraps isn´t neither, but you have a free trial, and free of advertising, with DXtory free trial you have a huge ugly advertising in the middle of the screen.

There's also playclaw. I dled it just for fun but never checked it really out. I'm personally using fraps. Since I'm using it constantly I purchased it, because it was the right thing to do. They are also improving the versions and release new ones.

Try a google search for playclaw and check if there's a free version available.

kind regards

I've never noticed any performance slowdown when using FRAPS, otherwise i'd drop it like a ton of bricks.

Hey, here's a screenshot from Comb Ops I took 2 minutes ago with the standard keyboard 'Printscreen' key (not FRAPS), and it works fine for me.

I'm Win XP Home, dunno if that's a factor?

shot.jpg

I'm Win XP Home, dunno if that's a factor?

Probably, i am on win7 64bit with a 4870.

EDIT: And yeah, FRAPS shouldnt give you a FPS hit if you arent recording, it only takes a tiny bit of RAM. But i still dont like having a bunch of stuff running in the background i dont intend to use most of the time. Maybe a leftover from when i tried to run HL2 on high with only 256mb of RAM. :p

Edited by NeMeSiS

So in W7 PrintScreen followed by paste into Paint or similar does not work? I find that hard to believe, since it's simply clipboard based. I'm on XP myself and it works flawlessly.

They could have done a more elegant implementation such as a dedicated screendump folder with autogenerated filenames etc. but the basic functionality is intact with 1.59

Also been having this issue on my new machine with W7 64 bit.

Here is a fix that now allows me to take them in all games here including Arma2:

Close out of the program you are having trouble with capturing the screen.

Right click on the shortcut or main exe file for the program.

Click on Properties .

Click on the Compatibility tab.

In the middle area of that tab, there should be a bunch of check boxes under Settings. Click in the box alongside Disable desktop composition.

Apply the changes, click OK.

So in W7 PrintScreen followed by paste into Paint or similar does not work?

I find that hard to believe, since it's simply clipboard based. I'm on XP myself and it works flawlessly.

Correct: it doesn't work.

-

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Also been having this issue on my new machine with W7 64 bit.

Here is a fix that now allows me to take them in all games here including Arma2:

Close out of the program you are having trouble with capturing the screen.

Right click on the shortcut or main exe file for the program.

Click on Properties .

Click on the Compatibility tab.

In the middle area of that tab, there should be a bunch of check boxes under Settings. Click in the box alongside Disable desktop composition.

Apply the changes, click OK.

I got the same info from probably the same web site and it doesn't work for me!

-

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

use Fraps for that ;)

Those of you with FRAPS, are you using WIN 7?

Because if WIN 7 print Screen does not work then WIN 7 with FRAPS will probably fail too!

-

Hi, i use:

- Printscreen key.

- ALT+TAB.

- Photoshop.

To take screenshots, it worked without problems when i had the CO and works in the same way with the ArmA2; after go back to the game (closing the Photoshop) sometimes i get LODs trashing, but that's normal... im also on windows XP Home 32-Bits. Let's C ya

Yep, Fraps is recource hungry

guys, forget about FRAPS

the answer is :MSI AfterBurner !

MSIAB.jpg

Allows you to take screenshots (.jpg, .bmp,.png), videos (with no time limitation) and last but not least : overclock your GPU.

It's a lot less ressource hungry than FRAPS.

Really easy to use, including several monitoring graphs (fan speed, GPU temp, GPU usage,...)

Recommended by Dwarden :jesus:

MSI afterburner is really good (...)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1899045&postcount=20

:D

Oh and it's completely

F

R

E

E

:)

Edited by Macadam Cow

I got the same info from probably the same web site and it doesn't work for me!

Yeah seems to be a big cover up right now for W7 users. Lot of people with the same issue. Make sure to set the option in the main .exe file, not the shortcut. Sry it does not work for you, but I did have this for a few weeks, and now it is fine here.

Yep, Fraps is recource hungry

Not when you're not recording videos...

Fraps is idling on my PC right now using 512kb of memory only.