Sign in to follow this  
Joe98

How to take a screen shot? Other games easy!

Fraps uses bugger all, i never leave home with out it.

Print screen is so dragon rising :p

I recently tried WeGame and had good results with videos and screen captures. This is on Win7 64 bit. My 2.51 version of Fraps crapped out with Win 7 64 bit as compatibility fails.

I also found yesterday that EVGA Precision (nvidia overclocking tool) will take nice screenshots as well.

However, after checking out the MSI Afterburner, I'll be getting a new download ASAP. Looks like just the thing I've been looking for since buying Win 7

Edited by SVO

I was never able to get Print Screen to work in ArmA II under Windows Vista or Windows 7. In Windows 7 it takes a picture of the present desktop... not the screen... the desktop.

So I decided that I want to take screenshots in game now. Print Screen doesn't work. Fraps doesn't work and MSI Afterburner doesn't work. Does anyone know why that might be?

Printscreen just takes a picture of the desktop even though the game is in full mode.

Using fraps, nothing appears in the screenshot folder.

Using MSI, nothing appears in the screenshot folder

Any ideas?

EDIT: Windows 7 64-bit, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

EDIT: Managed to get MSI to take pictures of the desktop but not ArmA II. Fraps still can't take any pictures.

Edited by Jakerod

Why not just have Fraps start at Windows launch? I do that and just leave it on in case I need it.

That's not a great suggestion, especially in the case when you use some other 3d apps then games..

PLUS: print screen works, you just need to paste the image in whatever software you want from the clipboard

+1 for "Print Screen" to actually create screen shots in a "screenshot" folder.

That's not a great suggestion, especially in the case when you use some other 3d apps then games..

PLUS: print screen works, you just need to paste the image in whatever software you want from the clipboard

Not for me it doesn't. It pastes a picture of what the desktop looked like under the game.

The reason, as far as I'm aware, is DX10/11. The newer DX versions don't allow regular printscreen functions to work within fullscreen 3d programs. I'd quote the technical reasons, but I'm not so well educated on the matter.

If you have windows XP, print screen should work perfectly fine. In windows Vista/7, you'll need to use an external program. (I'm not aware if running in XP comp mode will work. Theoretically it should, since it disables the DX9extended functions within DX while running the program, but I can't confirm)

This is a problem for a lot of developers who honestly don't have the time/money to address such a low priority problem. Hell, punkbuster still hasn't solved the issue, and pbscreenshots were a huge factor in catching hackers.

Regarding Fraps, it works fine for me with Arma II and various other games, but won't work at all with some games.

In fact some games refuse to run if I've got Fraps running in the background, weird.

And it also won't take shots of videos.

PS- the only sure-fire way to always get a screenshot is to hit the Printscreen key on your keyboard and paste it into your Pictures folder or wherever.

Problem is you can only take one pic at a time with that method and must Paste it before you can take another, which means pausing the game while you do it.

But Arma II doesn't have a Pause option so you're in trouble.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Regarding Fraps, it works fine for me with Arma II and various other games, but won't work at all with some games.

In fact some games refuse to run if I've got Fraps running in the background, weird.

And it also won't take shots of videos.

Ok what games does fraps cause issues? I've played tons and tons of games with FRAPS on.

Press the escape key...

Okay thanks, it pauses singleplayer games fine, I haven't tried it yet with multiplay..

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Ok what games does fraps cause issues? I've played tons and tons of games with FRAPS on.

First, I'm only using the free version of Fraps which lacks some features of the buy version, so that might be why it's not as smooth.

The Combat Mission Normandy demo is one of the games that won't start while free fraps is running, but its only a demo.

I must have admit I have never had a problem with FRAPS in any game...

Okay thanks, it pauses singleplayer games fine, I haven't tried it yet with multiplay..

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

First, I'm only using the free version of Fraps which lacks some features of the buy version, so that might be why it's not as smooth.

The Combat Mission Normandy demo is one of the games that won't start while free fraps is running, but its only a demo.

How do you expect to pause during multiplayer? Even if your game is "paused" everyone else will still be playing (unless you're running the server?)

How do you expect to pause during multiplayer? Even if your game is "paused" everyone else will still be playing (unless you're running the server?)

I know, I'm fine because i have fraps running in the background but the people whose screenshot capture won't work (unless paused to paste them to their pic folder individually) won't be able to pause in multiplay games which is why i mentioned it to remind them

I think it's because the combat mission games are coded so poorly. I played the demos of the Syrian one and the Afghanistan one and they felt like it was a 1 man team and that one man team was a programmer fresh out of school.

Very bad polish on those games and their engines.

Yes it seems different games have their quirks, for example in Panzer Command Ostfront, Fraps will capture all screenshots perfectly once the game begins, but it won't capture some of the setup screens.

PS- My Fraps captures all Arma II screens fine, but another guy told me his Fraps sometimes crashes when he tries to capture Arma II screens.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

There is a plethora of different applications out there that can take screen shots.

Print screen

FRAPS

Xfire

Gameclaw

The list goes on....

How to take screenshots in ARMA 2 and OA?

-Type -winxp in your startup parameters, and then use print screen as normal.

-Then paste the photo into MSPaint or Photoshop.

Simples.

What is a WIN 7 "start up parameter" ?

-