Sign in to follow this  
SFG

Invasion 1944 v2.5 (CO)

Question that I'm most concerned with is the scope system. Will it be optional (IE put a module down and it takes effect) or will it be forced? That's the only 'Down' side I personally see in it since everything is perfect, just hope the scope system shown is optional.

No the scopes are not optional (at least at this time, I'm not aware how that would even be possible to do) but I'm not too sure what the problem you have with it is? Its way more realistic than the classic scope method and alot more functional than the old school shooter/cinema method of a black border and much more like the effect you see when using a scope in real life, the only limitation is we can't have two levels of zoom for the area outside of the scope due to engine limitations.

Question that I'm most concerned with is the scope system. Will it be optional (IE put a module down and it takes effect) or will it be forced? That's the only 'Down' side I personally see in it since everything is perfect, just hope the scope system shown is optional.

It's fun to use, don't worry. :)

as well as a guest appearance by the M2 Flamethrower courtesy of the Hell in the Pacific mod team.

There... are no words. D:

I know it isn't going to be, like, a Men of War-style fiery deathsprayer, or a perfect simulation of fire-based doom projection, but the mere idea of a flamethrower makes the ten-year-old pyromaniac in me giggle like a schoolgirl.

...unless, of course, I'm completely missing something, here. When you say "guest appearance by," do you mean they gave it to you guys for the purpose of the video, or that it's going to be a part of the mod? It's nifty that someone's making an M2 either way, mind, but I'm curious.

We did a swap with the guys from the Pacific and gave them our Bayonet code in exchange for their Flamethrower, and Macolik's been doing a few code tweaks to it to add some cool features like running around screaming on fire, however we have had to remove that part of the video for now though as someone pointed out that some random Left4Dead Louis scream sounds had been used by accident and will have to get re-recorded, thankfully it was spotted before we released 2.6!

I really like the new scope, and the sounds are great.

+1, i love the new sounds, they are very sharp and nice (even if my cat jumped out of the sofa very fluffy hearing the mg34 firing...)

Will the "invisible helmet" bug be fixed in v2.6 ?

I just got a new GPU (ATI) and hoped to finally turn AA on, but even with low AA all German helmets are invisible.

But the game looks so much better with AA...argh :(

As long as it doesn't dissolve into good ole CoH-esque Hetzer spam, I'm happy. :D

Hetzers gonna hetz.

Its not an issue we can fix as we have no idea to the cause and it only affects some ATI cards/drivers not all. However you can fix it yourself by using this alternative AA method:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=123121

I really don't know about this stuff but there's some issue with ATI cards and textures sizes though I can't remember what the problem exactly was but there was an issue with a few addons in arma 1 because of it.

Oh, i thought this was only for Nvidia...

We were suggested FXAA by a user of an ATI card who had the issue so I would guess it works, as none of the development team have an affected ATI card its the only thing I can suggest...

I really don't know about this stuff but there's some issue with ATI cards and textures sizes though I can't remember what the problem exactly was but there was an issue with a few addons in arma 1 because of it.

Could well be the case, but still not enough information for us to do anything about it really. Thanks anyway!

Personally I'm not able to spend the cash required to buy a faulty card on purpose to fix an issue that can be fixed by those users that are affected. The issue is not at all reproduceable on any Nvidia cards or even all ATI cards so its really not a high priority for us to fix when it only affects a tiny percentage of users that have several workaround fixes they can do themselves, and is liable to be fixed by future ATI drivers, hardware upgrades, or possibly even ArmA2 patches, we're sorry that some of you do have the issue but with our limited resources there is very little we can do our end to chase the issue down.

Hetzers gonna hetz.

:D Thankfully, in front of my British defensive blobs is no place for Hetzer drivers to tread.

Personally I'm not able to spend the cash required to buy a faulty card on purpose to fix an issue that can be fixed by those users that are affected. The issue is not at all reproduceable on any Nvidia cards or even all ATI cards so its really not a high priority for us to fix when it only affects a tiny percentage of users that have several workaround fixes they can do themselves, and is liable to be fixed by future ATI drivers, hardware upgrades, or possibly even ArmA2 patches, we're sorry that some of you do have the issue but with our limited resources there is very little we can do our end to chase the issue down.

Got the same trouble with an Asus 5870. Fixed it by turning AA off, which isn't a big deal IMHO.

We're currently looking for clans and groups of players that would be interested in helping test 2.6 prior to release, we are not currently accepting applications from lone players at this time but may do so closer to the time of release. However if you are part of a clan or group that plays I44 please send me a PM: http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?u=37912

At the moment we're running two tests a week, Saturdays and Sundays (7pm GMT), all testers are required to sign up to our private test forums and must agree not to distribute the download links to anyone, the main reason for this is so that the unfinished product does not get distributed which could give a false impression of the final project, or released without proper credit to those who work hard daily on the mod.

So if you're willing to help out and agree to the terms of the closed beta, we'd love to hear from your group!

Here's a peak at a big surprise for 2.6, another new map! Merderet is a new map based on a design worked up by an old member NSU, and heavily updated by Macolik. The map is inspired by the areas around the Merderet river but is a fictional map which allowed us greater freedom in designing an interesting play area that feels very different to Omaha. The map is designed primarily for TvT gameplay especially for tanks with lots of open areas, as well as a dense destroyed town in the center of map around a bridge crossing.

mappromo1.th.jpgmappromo2.th.jpgmappromo3.th.jpgmappromo4.th.jpg

Damn, looking at the bridge it reminds me of the old days in Medal of Honor Allied Assault: Spearhead where you had to shoot the German soldiers who ran toward the plunger trying to destroy the bridge as you fight off tanks with airstrikes until friendly Sherman tanks showed up XD

Am I the only one who thinks of that good old missions?

But damn ^^ That new area looks good though. It'll be fun running around it and seeing what little hiding spots there are.

I'm a tad confused as to why the I44 turrets traverse so much more slowly than vanilla or ACE2 turrets. I can barely get them to move even by moving my mouse all the way across my mousepad. Is my install messed up or is this intentional? What should I do to fix this problem, considering it makes the gunner position in tanks near useless?

In regards to the above poster: I believe this is to simulate the fact there were few if any power assisted tank turrets in that particular period, I could be wrong however.

Liking the looks of this new island gents, keep up the good work! :)

Because... unlike modern turrets, the turrets in WWII tanks were a lot less technically complex. Think... "dinky hydraulic motors and hand-cranking" less technically complex.

Woe betide the unlucky Tiger commander whose hydraulic system went out. Imagine trying to traverse the turret on that thing by hand and under fire. Not fun, I'd imagine.

I'm a tad confused as to why the I44 turrets traverse so much more slowly than vanilla or ACE2 turrets. I can barely get them to move even by moving my mouse all the way across my mousepad. Is my install messed up or is this intentional? What should I do to fix this problem, considering it makes the gunner position in tanks near useless?

This is due to the fact you're comparing modern day powered turrets, with technology from around 70 years ago, the turrets in WW2 were often hand-cranked or very slow traverse speeds when motorised. We've tried to match them as close as possible to their real life movement speeds. With Tigers I know the turret traverse speed was generally much slower than actually turning the entire tank with the tracks and so crews would generally use that method when engaging the enemy. With 2.6 we've enabled crews to move freely within armoured vehicles between positions which although a step away from realism does allow this method to be used more easily by single players than relying on the AI to turn accurately.

You could also try binding your cursor keys to turret movement, I'm told it gives you much greater precision and more lifelike feel to turret movement, as well as negating the need for crazy mouse movement.

Edited by PacUK

WOW, great Map ! :)

Another question:

Sometimes i get white lines at the tracks of tanks and APC's.

Small parts of the tracks are white while others look normal.

Anything i can do to fix this ?

Only happens with INV44 tanks/APC's.

Or is this a known bug which will get fixed in 2.6 ?

The new map looks great! looking forward to it!